Nintendo Download: 7th February 2013 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Ken is raging, the Blue Bomber returns, concentration testing and more

Nintendo has confirmed what download delights are coming to North America this week, and it's certainly a diverse range. We have a download-only retail game on Wii U — if you can tolerate the term — some retro goodness and a long-awaited demo joining a major retail release on 3DS, and a solitary DSiWare game; only Wii misses out. Check out the details below.

Please note that not all retail prices have been provided, so we will update as soon as we have confirmed details.

Wii U eShop

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (TECMO KOEI GAMES, $59.99) — This is the first download-only retail game on Wii U. Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is a collaboration between the popular manga "Fist of the North Star" and the "Warriors" video game series, which is known for its action-packed gameplay. Various episodes have been included from the original manga in addition to the Raoh storyline and the final story revolving around Bat and Rin. The game's Legend Mode follows the overall story of the original manga, while Dream Mode focuses on events that take place between episodes in the original story. Watch out for our upcoming review.

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man 2 (Capcom, $4.99) — It's more Mega Man goodness, bringing classic NES robot master battling to you on the go. With all six NES titles coming to the 3DS Virtual Console in the coming months, we can expect lots of classic Blue Bomber gaming, with this entry arguably representing one of the finest classic series releases. We'll be blasting through the 3DS version for a review, but in the meantime you can check out our Wii Virtual Console Mega Man 2 review.

3DS retail demo

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan (Atlus, free) — The latest entry in this challenging but popular RPG series is now only a few weeks away in North America, and as promised there's now a demo to get the adventure started. The best thing is that your progress can be carried across to the retail game should you take the plunge; you can't ask for fairer than that.

3DS retail downloads

Brain Age: Concentration Training (Nintendo, $29.99) — The Brain Age series was hugely popular on DS, so Nintendo will be hoping that this new and challenging entry will repeat that success on 3DS. This one focuses on short exercises to improve your focus, and arrives on the eShop alongside the retail release on 10th February; we're putting our minds to bringing you a review soon.

Three previously released retail titles are also making their first appearances on the eShop:

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 3D (Konami, $TBC) — available from 12th February
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (Ubisoft, $29.99)
Rayman 3D (Ubisoft, $29.99)

DSiWare

Ah! Heaven (CIRCLE Entertainment, 200 Nintendo Points) — One of a number of planned releases from CIRCLE in the next few months, this platformer looks set to offer simple gameplay and 24 stages at a budget price. We'll see whether it's a divine gaming experience in our upcoming review.

Nintendo Video

BearShark (CollegeHumor, free) — No place is safe from BearShark. Not water. Not land. And now BearShark is even invading the third dimension. Starting Feb. 8, Nintendo is partnering with CollegeHumor.com to bring an original 3D animated program to Nintendo Video for the Nintendo 3DS system. BearShark is an animated series that follows a bear and shark tag-team as they cause hilarious mayhem over land and sea in their continued pursuit of a poor sap named Steve.

A diverse mix included this week, so let us know which will drain you of funds in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (233 votes)

Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2 (Wii U retail download)

Mega Man 2 (3DS Virtual Console)

31%

Brain Age: Concentration Training (3DS retail download)

10%

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 3D (3DS retail download)

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell 3D (3DS retail download)

Rayman 3D (3DS retail download)

Ah! Heaven (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

47%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Karakato

Karakato said:

Mega man 2 is surely bought. Hopefully the third game, aka the best one, follows soon.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Before anyone asks, the details arrived later than normal from Nintendo, that's why this is a little late ;)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

I really wish Ken's Rage 2 was a budget price. The video on Wii U eShop looks balls-out wacktastic. But I can't stomach what's most likely a $49.95 price tag for essentially a crazy brawler.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Super excited about the Etrian Odyssey demo! Nothing else hits my fancy... but pretty stoked about more 3DS RPG love.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Woo Hoo Megaman II for me. Been waiting on this one since they announced it. Time for me to pick up an eShop card.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Really on Splinter Cell and Rayman 3d???? Pass. Maybe if they were 10$ I would consider them. Just the EO4 demo for me.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Even though I have Mega Man 2 in several formats already I'm thinking about adding it to my 3DS

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

Mega Man 2 gets my vote this week for the ol' 3DS VC goodies list. Now if only the eShop can just have DAM access to Mega Man II and the rest of the other original GAME BOY Mega Man games, then I'd be a happy gamer overall. On the bright side, at least it's still good to know that Mega Man 3 - 6 are still on the way to the 3DS eShop.

@ThomasBW84

Shame on you bro. , shame on you for being late with the this. LOL, I'm only kidding you man! :D In all honesty, this REALLY isn't a late update to NintendoLife for the usual weekly Nintendo Download section. IMO, I saw times close to nearly 11:30 AM EST where I live here in the US that that time is the latest.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I'm definitely going to check out the Etrian Odyssey demo. Atlus does great work, and I've been meaning to give that series a try for a while now.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Etrian Odyssey demo for sure.

Why aren't we getting the Mega Man games that were designed for Game Boy?

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 About prices:

• Brain Age Concentration Training is $29.99. It was mentioned in last week's Nintendo Show 3D.
  • Although I can't find a official Wii U announcement regarding price, Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2 is $59.99 on PSN.
  • And then... this is a guess for Pro Evolution Soccer, which has yet to be announced... $29.99
CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Not a bad week, the NES version of Dig Dug is also coming to the eShop next week which I'll download.

SYZYGY

SYZYGY said:

I think it looks like a good week for me, i like Fist of the North Star, and even though Mega Man 2 has been played a lot, it is a classic- good to have on the 3DS. Brain Age is pretty neat as well. - wondering where Retro City Rampage went to?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

On prices, I've added $29.99 for Brain Training. I've held off on the rest that are still unknown, as though I could make educated guesses it's best to wait for real confirmation. If you spot them let us know, we've asked NoA and we have some of our U.S. staffers checking regularly :)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

getting brain age at some point, i have to wait until i get a new 3DS XL though, since my screen on my XL is half black and it costs too much to have it repaired (141.25 with tax).

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@ThomasBW84 Yeah, I wasn't expecting you to add it all until real confirmination. I noticed this on other services rather than Nintendo themselves. :)

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@ThomasBW84 Why is this late Thomas??!!!!?? lol jk. Thanks. I was up until the wee hours of the night playing Fire Emblem anyhow. The most addicting game I've ever played. Fire Emblem and Ni no Kuni equals some of the best gaming in my 26 years on Earth and 14 on Omicron Persei 8.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Just getting the Etrian demo. Not interested in anything else. Besides, I've got many hours of Fire Emblem to play yet! :D

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I find it funny that Ubisoft is charging $30 for their game ports when they're only $15 or less anywhere physically. I'm probably going to get Mega Man 2 though.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I've played Mega Man II for years on both NES and PS2. That being said... I GOTSTA GET THIS GAME!!!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Mega Man 2 for me this week. I have it for Wii, but having it be portable on the 3DS is a plus.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Would be great to get more NA videos in Europe instead of repeating ones for the third time. Not very likely, i know, but still. :|

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

most likely nothing for me, but I MIGHT get Mega Man 2 since I can take it anywhere :P it's my girlfriend's birthday today, by the way! :)

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

Might've gotten Rayman 3d since I haven't picked it up yet. Then the bombshell of Rayman Legend hit... screw 'em.

Milton_Burle

Milton_Burle said:

"Nothing for me" comments: what's the point? There's even an entry on the voting thing so you don't have to say it.

Sonicman

Sonicman said:

Never played Mega Man before, this one looks promising. I'll commit my cash to it, here's hoping it's a good choice!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I hope Retro City is still coming. Nothing for me this week, MegaMan 2 is a great game, but as most VC games I rather play it on my NES.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I'd rather get the Wii VC versions, even if it never comes to Wii U VC with Gamepad support. Playing Megaman on the TV will always beat the portable version IMO, even with restore point. Just want 6 on Wii VC. I'll buy the Gameboy Megaman games, but not console on 3DS.
There's some games I want this week, but I got no mun e...

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Oh dang, I just noticed no Fire Emblem DLC! Ah well, I still have yet to beat the game so I guess that's a good thing.

Windy

Windy said:

No 3d Classic Mega Man 2 :( no purchase for me. Did get the Etrian Odyssey demo and will be getting the Cartridge Pre-Buy

bluecat

bluecat said:

Probably buying Mega Man 2 and will definitely be getting Brain Age at the store this Sunday. I need to exercise my brain! ;p

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

A download game of $60 dlls? Is Nintendo kidding? we don´t have the box and they don´t waste in stores.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Just the Fire Emblem DLC for me, better yet I bought that pack, so next week I get the 3rd map to the trilogy

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

I'll probably pick up Mega Man 2 at some point. I've never played Mega Man before, but I've meaning to try it out for a while and 2 sounds like one of the best.

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

Hey, Nintendolife. I saw on the North American 3DS eshop that the NES/Famicom version of Dig Dug is coming to the 3DS eshop for $3.99!

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Mega Man 2, but not for awhile. I need to beat the 1st on first.
And really ubisoft? 30 bucks? You are going to charge 30 for Asphalt 3D aren't you? :(

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

What a RIP OFF, charging $29.99 for Rayman 3D when every store in town had it for TEN BUCKS, NEW, just a few months ago!

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Does anybody know if there any Game Boy or Game Boy Color VC releases on the horizon? Or are all near future 3DS VC releases NES titles that are already available on Wii VC?

GamerFromJump

GamerFromJump said:

What I'd like to see is a remake of Megaman Anniversary Collection (with the button mapping fixed, of course) gettin Rayman and the Etrian demo, myself.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@Aqueous
Can't wait for Shantae especially! I've held off on the DSiWare sequel in hopes of playing the original first. I forgot it was supposed to be coming soon, along with the third installment! (btw, your Twilight avatar is adorable :D )

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Looked at GoNintendo, same goes for here. No one cares about that Wii U digital exclusive of Ken's Rage. Maybe a bit too nice to bring to NA.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

While I like Mega Man 2 somewhat a little, 3 is my fav, 2 I already own on Wii VC, & I would prefer the GB MMs, as opposed to the Nes titles. However, Capcom probably thinks the sales of the Nes titles would be more, than the GB titles, either b/c Nes games are a little more expensive, compared to GB titles, or Capcom thinks the Nes titles would create more sales, b/c they were probably more popular, than the GB titles. If they want to release them all, I imagine they can't realistically release them all at once, but the least they(Nintendo, or Capcom, whichever is responsible) could do, is release back, & forth from each series - the Nes Classic series, the GB Meta Series, then repeat.

So nothing for me, this week. Even then, it's more of a nothing for me from this week, as there are some things on (the) eShop I'd still like to get. It'll all have to wait anyway, until I get a points card. Have a good gaming week, everyone! :)

andreoni79

andreoni79 said:

@DarkEdi $60 is too much? in europe, we pay it €60 = $80. and they wonder why Europe it's not a good market, those idiots...

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

I'd probably get Mega Man 2, but I already have the "Mega Man Anniversary Edition" game for the Game Cube that has Mega Man 1 -8 plus two secret games....
On the other hand, Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage 2..I'll get that whenever I get my Wii U back from Nintendo. Haha. XD

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 Ive played it and beat it before. im going to hold off in hopes that a 3d classic version will come out. Times are just tight these days. I just don't want the 2d version sitting there should a 3d version come out

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

@Windy: I highly doubt it will ever happen man. Notice how none of the 3D classics are available to purchase in their original forms on the eshop? I'd just buy the 2D versions b/c that's all there's going to be.

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 I think your right unfortunately. I also have so much on my backburner that I want to get to and play. I will hold off on this one. Who knows if I get the time one day out of all the stuff I have I will more than likely get this. I love megaman and will hopefully get a 3D classic some day. Man Castlevania, Megaman, Bonk, Mario, Sonic should all be getting the 3D classic treatment. So frustrating

Windy

Windy said:

@KnightRider666 Well I will be able to get this anytime unless they make it some kind of Limited time game which I don't think so. At some point im sure I will pick up the megamans