Wii Mini Doesn't Include an SD Slot

Posted by Martin Watts

Just another thing to add to the list

It has been discovered that the recently unveiled Wii Mini system does not have an SD card slot.

The new miniaturised Wii, which — bizarrely enough — will only be available to purchase in Canada, is a cut-down version of the original Wii that lacks online functionality or GameCube backward compatibility. You may remember that the Wii has already undergone a minor revamp, where that backward compatibility feature was removed.

The lack of an SD card slot means that players cannot transfer save data. Given that the system is not online-enabled and, therefore, cannot connect to the Wii Shop Channel, there would in fact be very little use for an SD card; this feature was likely removed to help bring down costs.

Following the redesigned system's unveiling, Nintendo of Canada's Matt Ryan stated:

... they are two very different products for a different type of player. It really depends on the experience that players want and their preferred investment in their gaming console. If a player just wants to play Wii games, Wii Mini is a great choice at a great price. If the player wants more from their system, Wii U is the latest innovation of fun from Nintendo.

The Wii Mini will be available at Canadian retailers from 7th December and will cost $99.99 CAD. Does Nintendo's latest redesign get more baffling by the minute or do you think that it will appeal to newcomers? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via gonintendo.com, nintendoworldreport.com]

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

really, that`s interesting. that`s one less slot for some kid to jam a fork into.

onlyaman

onlyaman said:

I think it's a clever economical way to push Wii Sports to the frigid Canadian wasteland (and other emerging third-world markets). :p

Sun

Sun said:

I don't see the point in Wii Mini when Wii Family Pack is cheap and has everything but GameCube compatibility. Why Canada?? This looks more for China, Korea, Brasil...

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Here comes another day of bashing a product that is not intended for anyone who visits this Web site.

nocode

nocode said:

I can't believe people haven't figured out yet that in Canada, what is known in many countries as April Fools Day, is celebrated in December. The 7th to be exact.

iphys

iphys said:

Any word on whether the Skyward Sword save fix is included, since people won't be able to download it?

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

I guess it'd be great for a camper or cabin... Don't really want to rip on it because it looks kinda neat despite its complete uselessness. Maybe break that sucker open and mod the crap out of it?

Kevin

Kevin said:

People who get this instead of a regular Wii or Wii U will be seriously disappointed.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I think this will appeal to collectors as it may be a rarity in the future but its not very functional other than playing Wii Sports. I'm not crazy about how it looks either. Lets face it the Wii Mini is the Sega Genesis model 3 of this generation.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

They should've just had all of the games in the "Wii" series built in instead of a disc slot.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I could see sending this to a third world country with little access to the internet or for small children's bedrooms.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

Jokes aside, this seems like an ideal way to get Nintendo into emerging markets like Brazil, Russia, India, South Africa and (if they ever lift the console ban) China. Maybe Canada is a dry run for making the Wii Mini available elsewhere?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

I'm guessing they are aiming at those clueless parents that want to get that new "wii-something" console for their kids for christmas.

Pro-N-Gamer

Pro-N-Gamer said:

This console is completely useless.. Especially because it will be a Canada only release.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@rogerwilco And how were we supposed to know about that, hm?

I like the removing the disc slot idea. Might as well, right? They've already gotten rid of everything else. :|

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

So lets count the cons
No Wifi
No Gamecube support of any kind
No Power Cords bundled in the box
No SD Card Slot
This is one bad console. The Wii Remote it is bundled with is looking to be more useful than the console itself.

Omega

Omega said:

Why is this console useless? You can play Super Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime III, New Super Mario Bros Wii, Tales of Symphonia, Sin & Punishment II, Golden Eye 007 yadda-yadda-yadda...

The only problem is the price. 100$ is in my opinion a bit too much with the restrictions and the clumsy casing. They should've made it 50$ instead.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Well it makes total sense as just a bog standard gaming console (old school stylee), except now with a motion controller, but at $100 I'm not sure it's a great deal compared to just buying a regular Wii.

I mean how much was/is the regular Wii in Canada for comparison?

I would hope this model was at least a third cheaper.

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

I was a little baffled by the news of this system initially, but the "no SD slot" news doesn't really phase me much.

I mean, if you can't download any VC or WiiWare from online, then all you really need the memory for is for save files and the Wii iteself should have more than enough room for that, shouldn't it?

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

now no SD slot... hmm... for $100, ill pass, though i wasnt planning on getting it anyways.

Candy55101

Candy55101 said:

When I got my wii u, I wanted to sell my wii for around $80, but then the wii mini came out. At first I thought who's going to want my old wii over cheap new one . I think I can put mine on ebay now.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

I think it's important to take the Canadian dollar into account. If you look at Amazon.ca, you can see a pretty stark price difference between the Mini and standard Wii systems.

MegaWattsAdmin

MegaWatts said:

Oh wait, both USD and CAD are worth practically the same thing nowadays...disregard my last, ill-researched comment. Nevertheless, the price difference still seems pretty big between systems.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@MegaWatts

Ah, just looked this up and that does seem to make more sense now. It's basically about half the price of any other normal Canadian Wii systems. That actually seems pretty fair.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

Why is everyone so surprised? No internet connectivity means no Wii shop, which means an sd card slot would be pointless. The built in memory would be more than enough for save files.

Shiromikio

Shiromikio said:

No SD card slot might be a problem if people ever decide to get a Wii U down the road and then find out they can't transfer their progress to the other console. That said, this limitation is minor compared to the lack of online features. Anyone who wanted this would probably still be on track to get it, and others will plan for Wii U.

Although, releasing a stripped-down Wii makes the regular Wii look a little better too (compared to the Mini, regular Wii looks like a solid deal with maybe a bundled game for just a little more than the Mini).

Then there's a crowd that can just get the Mini and feel like they got a brand new console (rather than 6 yr+ old tech) at an affordable price, so the new variant, albeit one with limited features, is a clever little move to get the latecomers on board.

FiveDigitLP

FiveDigitLP said:

So one thing I don't get (that no one else has mentioned on here) is what if you run out of space? I've had to move files to an SD card (granted, this may be more due to the space downloadable games take up), so are they expecting people to delete old save files for no longer played games? Of course, this could be a moot point since the type of consumer this is aimed at is likely to only play casual games that don't require a huge save file.

Omega

Omega said:

The Wii usually has 512MB flash memory. This can hold a lot of save files. More than you ever need.

But this new Wii? Maybe it has reduced flash memory? Who knows...?

chiefeagle02

chiefeagle02 said:

A bit disappointing because I actually used the Photo Channel to view pictures from my hiking trips on the TV with friends.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Burning_Spear If I could "Yeah!" you here, I would.

And yeah, I just used the Wii Photo Channel yesterday, in fact. Buddy came over and wanted to show some photos on the TV. Wii worked a charm.

Which brings up an interesting point.... with no online, no SD card... there's almost entirely no reason for the normal Wii Menu with its channels layout, right? I bet this thing has a new menu screen. OR most likely just boots up directly into the game. Wow. Sort of cool in a "Remember when all systems were like this?" way.

Ren

Ren said:

what would you save on there anyway? Yeah, this is silly but like some here said, it's not for us. Seems a little expensive for nothing more than a "Wii Disc Player".

ChibiJib

ChibiJib said:

Wait... I just realized something... no WiFi means... no updates! What if there's a horrible bug or glitch at launch?

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Burning_Spear: Exactly.

This isn't a console that is targeted at people who comment on video game websites. This is an entry-level console for people who want a cheap, accessible means to playing Wii games, which will be available for very little money now the Wii U is around. It doesn't perform a lot of extra features by design.

If you can't wrap your head around that, please don't crap on about it being a terrible console.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The only real need for the sd slot is to backup save files, so you always have at least 1 backup copy of your saves, should the WM(Mini) have some corrupt data, & require formatting.

& yes, I'm not gonna poke fun either, since this console isn't intended for the type of gamer I am. I think Nintendo should have included an sd slot, though, as for the reason I mentioned above.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I don't think Wii Mini even begins to adequately describe how castrated this machine is. No GameCube games, no wired controllers for Kart or Brawl, no VC or Wiiwsre, no MiI Channel, no WiiSpeakchannel, no internet news or weather channels, no SD slot for game saves or photos.

I think Wii Game Disc Player or Wii Game Machine, mini means smaller, not Chaz to Chastity.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@Gridatttack Yeah I never thought of that, it may just load after inserting a disc just like in the old PS1 and Saturn days. I wonder if it's region free, hopefully my old Wii Freeloader back in 2008 still works. Hey since with no internet connectivity, there's no firmware update to interfere with the system default setting so we could play any software we want, even unofficial ones like the Freeloader. That means Fatal Frame IV, Captain Rainbow, Disaster: DOC, Another Code R, and Earth Seekers may work with it perhaps.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

If I can figure out a sensor bar solution, I'd almost be tempted to pick one up to install in my car, hook it up to my in dash LCD.... it'd never get used, but it'd be cool, all the same. I'm almost a big enough consumer wh0re to do it... lol