Wii U Web Browser Posts Impressive Benchmark Results

Posted by Damien McFerran

Surf's up

Early benchmark tests have shown that the Wii U's web browser is surprisingly good at handling HTML5 - better than Microsoft's Internet Explorer 10 on PC, in fact.

The data posted on HTML5test.com shows the following info:

• Wii U browser – 323 + 8
  • Internet Explorer 10 – 320 + 6
  • Chrome 22 – 434 + 13
  • Xbox 360 Internet Explorer 9 – 120 + 5
  • Nintendo 3DS NetFront – 109 + 0
  • iOS 6 Safari – 486 + 9

The main figure is the base test score, and the plus points relate to how well each browser handles peripheral web elements - such as audio and video.

What does this mean? Well, seeing as the Wii U browser isn't finished yet (it's still listed as being in beta), it's hard to be sure that these figures guarantee a top-notch web experience - but it's certainly a positive sign.

[via venturebeat.com]

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I'm surprised the iOS Safari is so high.
I don't use browsers on home consoles, but the Wii U might change that.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Sounds good.
I usually wouldn't use consoles or handhelds or anything to browse the Internet, but considering I'll basically always have the GamePad sitting with me while watching TV or anything in my lounge it could provide a decent alternative to my somewhat dodgy laptop.

Nevergreen

Nevergreen said:

Excellent news. I could really see the Gamepad being a great way to surf the interwebz now.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

Weird 3DS browser, that high? Honestly if they can 3DS browser may need a update and doesn't PS3 have a browser?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Wow, those are good numbers. I really wouldn't use the internet browser much, but it's nice to know that not will it be better than Nintendo's other browsers but perhaps other brands' browsers as well. And this is just in beta mode too.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

That's nice, but I'll probably only use it to check guides or hints if I get stuck in a game anyway. It definitely has potential though, having a easy to use keyboard right on the controller is a huge benefit by itself.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

People will vinally stop complaning about my broken keys on my laptop. Thank you vor waiting out the pain.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

thats great and all but the thing i hate about the browsers like the 3ds and xbox one is you can even see videos -.- not even something like youtube thats popular come on... i do like my 3ds browser so just the controls for it is smooth could be better though cuz at times i get that message saying "failed to load page" =/

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Sadly, when the 720 comes out, it'll probably cream the wii u's browser and all the microsoft fanboys will be rubbing it in our face. But at least we'll be enjoying other much better games besides shooters!

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Nice, can't wait for a console browser that loads faster than one page a minute(or less)

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

Nice to hear for something that's a supposed gimmick for games consoles, especially seeing as you can browse using the GamePad while multitasking. It'll also make the Deluxe digital promotion process a lot easier.

But still, I can't say I'm all that surprised it serves better than IE10; I mean, this is Internet Explorer we're talking about. Even programmed dog poop should be able to run HTML5 better than IE.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

For those of you who think you won't be using this, having a tablet for Internet browsing is pretty much the best case scenario in most situations. Good to know that Nintendo is taking it seriously.

As for Safari on iOS performing so well, don't forget that it was the browser that pushed HTML5 the most because it didn't support Flash from the beginning. iOS and Apple devices are pretty much the reason HTML5 is as far along as it is right now.

One of my favorite features of the iPad and an Apple TV hooked up to the TV is that it's super easy to share what you're viewing with other people. Nintendo has already showed that they want to use this type of feature way early. I bet we hear more about this in the coming weeks.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I probably won't use the Wii U's web browser that much but its good to know that its far better than the one on the Wii.

erv

erv said:

It's webkit based, so it should provide excellent browsing capabilities. Not sure it'll beat my ipad though.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Interesting... Looks like I'll be testing my Wii U's internet capabilities for a bit. Anything will be better than my cruddy Wii browser.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Cool I guess. I don't know how much I will use it but good to know it is there.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Even though I am not too keen on getting a Wii U early, the news I've heard about it now is tempting me.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

It's weird that not one browser actually fully supports every function. I get 434 + 8 with Chrome on PC. The Xbox one isn't surprising, when I run IE9 on PC I get 138.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Where's PS3? I don't really care about PC internet browsers being compared to this actually... Were talking about game systems here. I would have rather heard how the PS3 stands up(probably in the 200's + 8-10), than PC web browsers. Besides, the Wii U has the Gamepad and you can search the internet on while pausing your game, which obviously a PC cant do, and I guess if you have a tablet, internet exploer or whatever iOS your're using won't be accesible from Xbox 360 internet with SmartGlass. Any word on someone being able to play a VC game on one Gamepad, while the other person is playing a Wii U game? I think the gamepad should be able to play even Netflix, and a VC game, and someone playing a Wii game all at once with the 3 screens at play.

c1pher_c0mplet

c1pher_c0mplet said:

Another bit of great news for the awesome Wii U. If it launches with this browser, there's no excuse for that piece of crap in the 3DS...

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Even if I don't know what any of those numbers mean, I'm psyched to open up those red velvety curtains and let my living room guests see .... something!

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

I used my Wii's web browser a ton when I was in undergrad for watching YouTube and streaming vids from my PC using Orb.

Ren

Ren said:

It better be fast, on a machine that's designed for "next gen" Graphics/animation with a tablet controller. We can only hope the design is better than the opera junk we have now on Wii.

SMW

SMW said:

Well the Wii U has 1 gb of ram JUST for the operating system. This browsers not going to suffer from the slowness and out of memory errors that plagued the Wii one.

Its great to see all that its supports!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

This blows my mind. Console browsers are usually sad, cut-down versions of their PC-version siblings, and Nintendo hasn't exactly made having a feature-rich browser a priority.

Unfortunately, I doubt Nintendo will support all the various plugins required by sites like Youtube, so all that effort spent making it HTML5 compliant is probably not going to be enough for people to switch to using it as their preferred browsing method.

@Ren: That test score has little or nothing to do with speed. It's a rating of how compatible the browser is at handling all of the features of HTML5. Basically they load up a complex page and see if the browser renders it as intended. It's surprising how non-compliant mainstream browsers can be, though Microsoft has made a good deal of effort fixing that since IE6.

It's also worth noting that HTML5 is a new spec that hasn't yet been adopted by most web hosts, so it's perfectly reasonable that current browsers don't support all the bells and whistles yet.

Kitty_hime1

Kitty_hime1 said:

Well just as long as I can get a VPN on there i'll be fine (A VPN is a special program you need to get on certain websites such as youtube when your a American living in China)

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I'm disappointed it doesn't have flash. This means it won't be able to stream anime from sites like justdubs.net, goodanime.net, animecrazy.net :(

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

For what it's supposed to be able to do, it BETTER be that good. It is surprising for a console browser though, so good stuff all around.

cyphid

cyphid said:

323 isn't too bad for the Wii U browser, though I doubt I'll use it much. The PS3 web browser is a nightmare to use.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Well, it doesn't take much to outperform Internet Explorer. If it can beat FireFox or Chrome, that would be impressive.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

Heh, the Wii U has a higher score than the old Mac I'm working on. I guess it's time to upgrade this 2002 beast!