Nintendo Download: 30th August 2012 (North America)

Posted by Damien McFerran

A sense of speed, nasty viruses and some soon-to-be-endangered animals

If you're a fan of high speed action, cute birds or shooting innocent animals, then you're in luck - this week's North American Nintendo Download is sure to satisfy your desires.

eShop

SpeedX 3D (Gamelion, $3.99) — After speeding into the European eShop a while back, Gamelion's trippy tube racer has touched down in North America. Employing a spaced-out soundtrack and effective use of the 3DS' auto-stereoscopic display, SpeedX 3D got a thumbs up from us when we reviewed it.

Outdoors Unleashed: Africa 3D (Teyon, $3.99) — Wildlife lovers may wish to look away now - Teyon's latest eShop title features plenty of endangered species being pumped full of hot lead. We're sure that members of Greenpeace won't be downloading it, but in the meantime you may wish to wait for our official verdict.

DSiWare

Escape the Virus: Shoot 'Em Up! (Teyon, 200 DSi points) — This twin-stick shooter is all about staying alive for as long as possible - blasting away deadly viruses as you do so. It's a cheap and cheerful blast for your DSi, although you may want to consult our Escape the Virus: Shoot 'Em Up! review before you spend the (admittedly modest) amount of points.

3DS Virtual Console

Toki Tori (Two Tribes, $3.99) — Originally released way back in 2001 for the Game Boy Color, Toki Tori's first adventure still stands the test of time even by today's standards. If you want to experience the title which spawned a successful sequel on WiiWare, then this is as good a time as any. Be sure to check out our Toki Tori review, too.

eShop Demos

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (SquareEnix, Free) — This unique take on the best-selling RPG series now has a demo on the eShop, so you can decide for yourself if the mixture of classic tunes and stylus-based rhythm action is really up your street.

Nintendo Videos

AWOLNATION is Back (available Aug. 31) — Following up on the incredible stop-motion hit "Not Your Fault," AWOLNATION returns to Nintendo Video for the 3D video premiere of their latest hit song.

So, anything for you this week? Will you succumb to the allure of SpeedX 3D, or perhaps you're willing to leave your morals at the door and purchase Outdoors Unleashed: Africa 3D? Vote in the poll below to let us know!

What will you be downloading first this week? (197 votes)

SpeedX 3D (eShop)

17%

Toki Tori (3DS Virtual Console)

35%

Outdoors Unleashed: Africa 3D (eShop)

Escape the Virus: Shoot 'Em Up! (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

43%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Your forgot to add the demo to the poll, thats what I will be downloading. Been waiting for that one for awhile.

[ed: we didn't forget, the poll is only intended for regular download games - not DLC or demos]

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Just the demo then. It will soon be time to see how it holds up against the hype.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wow, now they have a demo for theatrythm, I've had the game for a while and must say its a great game, even if you havent played FF

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

The Theatrerhythm demo for sure I'll try out. Have to see if its worth the money. Maybe the escape game eventually... we'll see.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Nothing for me but the Demo. Still playing the NEO GEO games from previous weeks.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

I thought Greenpeace only tell you to stop using certain materials because it ruins the planet. But PETA are the ones to tell you to stop killing animals.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Finally a Theatrhythm Final Fantasy demo! I'll be downloading that once I get home. :D

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

TRFF is worth it. I have 23 hours in it and haven't played a FF gae besides half of FFV.
On note, nothing for me this week. Too obsessed with Coins!

fredtoy

fredtoy said:

For me, only Theatrhythm demo this week.

I'm interested in Toki Tori. But, as I have the remake on my Android phone, I think I'll save my money for other games.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I would have voted for I'm downloading the FFR Demo, but it wasn't up there so I just said I was getting nothing this week.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Toki Tori most likely (And I've never paid for VC). Maybe the hunting game if it's any good (my little brother loves those kind of games and he's never gone hunting).

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Whoever_Edited_my_comment: Ah ok I thought the poll was for everything that came out this week my bad, sorry bout that.

I guess I will just go for nothing for me this week although Outdoors Unleashed piques my interest but I want to see a review on that before I get it.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

@Michael0134567 The Wii has gotten decent VC games for at least two or three weeks in a row, not sure what you're talking about.

Never played Toki Tori, so I'm gonna give it a shot. Gotta support those Game Boy Color VC titles!

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Sweet! :D

I'm getting in the e-shop:

Toki Tori
Outdoors Unleashed: Africa 3D

Haven't played a good shooter game in quite a while. My favorite shooter game was duck hunt nes nothing beats it. Wish I still had the game lol. :) Outdoors unleashed africa looks like fun though. :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Hey the Theatrhythm demo's a nice surprise! I love rhythm games but have never played Final Fantasy (!) so was hoping to get to try it out first!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

The day I send my 3DS in for repair is the day the demo for the game I've been on the verge of buying comes out...

Knux

Knux said:

SpeedX, Toki Tori, and Theatrhythm makes this a surprisingly awesome week.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Wow Square Enix is really using the 3ds internet (in this case the Eshop) to their advantage. All their games released for the 3ds have demos now.

For the most part SpeedX looks alot more appealing to me on the 3ds then it did on the other mobile devices.

Mizore

Mizore said:

sighs I know NSMB2 just came out not too long ago, but sheesh, where are all the GB games Nintendo?! T_T
Maybe I should email them and try to annoy them about the Oracle of Ages/Seasons, lol

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

"endangered species being pumped full of hot lead"

Damien you are merciliess, that is the best description evurr!

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Nintendo Video has been slowing down lately.
Also I read an article saying Greenpeace is not against hunting. As long as it's not for Seals.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

It does? Woot. @DarkEdi what do you mean Wii gets nothing again? It's been gold for weeks! Still playing the Neo Geo games I bought!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

I'd get that hunting game if it was an actual 'sneak around for countryside and hope for good shot after spotting an animal after half an hour' type of hunting game. Unfortunately most hunting games these days are little more than a glorified shooting gallery (you know, just like this game), except with animals instead of people.

theHunter on PC is the best true hunting game ever made.

P.S. I don't condone hunting in real life unless you live in the boonies and need to hunt to survive. Gaming lets me do all the stuff I'd never do IRL. True hunting games are fun.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I will be downloading, Theatrhythm FF. I've been debating if I should leave the game in my Gamefly Q.

Mizore

Mizore said:

I didn't notice...thought it was something else...lol.
Still though, the Oracle games.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Downloaded the Theatrythm Final Fantasy demo and OMG! UNLIMITED PLAYS!!!!

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

OOOOOOO THEATRHYTHM DEMO! I've been wanting this for a while. Time to buy another eshop card. I really want toki tori and speedx :D

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Depends. The stage themes are the same (WiiWare having better graphics obviously) but the layouts are different. If you want more stages to play, get it. If you're happy enough with the WiiWare version and don't need more stages, don't.

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

TFF DLC, toki tori and speedX 3D for me.

Finally a good week after 4 weeks of pure unadultered suck.

RR529

RR529 said:

FFT demo for sure!

Maybe Outdoors Unleashed: Africa 3D, depending on reviews.

Not a big puzzle platformers or endless runners, so no Toki Tori or SpeedX 3D for me.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

I hope Two Tribes gets the codes in soon so US winners of the contest can download Toki Tori.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Better week than last but still nothing I'm that interested in. Teyon's games haven't been terrible so I may consider buying one of their releases. Good thing I just picked up New Super Mario Bros. 2 a few days ago though, that'll more than likely keep me busy for a while should the e-shop hit another slow period. No games are more replayable than 2D Mario platformers.

Grodus

Grodus said:

I already have theatrythym, so I'm getting toki tori and possibly SpeedX, I might hold off on that one for later.

@furrealz depends. the wiiware one is a remake, but the 3ds one is vc.

Bane

Bane said:

Imma get SpeedX and Toki Tori and also the Theatrerythm demo thingy to see what its about but I probably wont buy the actual game.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

I'll be getting Toki Tori soon but i need to get Blaster Master first so i wont get to far behind on my VC classic collection.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

SpeedX and Toki Tori sometime. Everything else either I don't want or just looks like shovelware. Don't need the Theatrhythm demo since I already own it.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Oh cool! I'll be getting that Theatrythm demo today. Don't care for FF but I'd like to try the game out.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

I think they made a mistake on Toki Tori. On the e-Shop, they call it a "downloadable game" and not "game boy color" like all the other virtual console games. They need to change that; I didn't know it was Virtual Console at first, and there's no "New" sign over the Virtual Console icon.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

I'll Be getting the Endangered Species Killing game, Theatrhythm Demo and Toki Tori. And Maybe SpeedX3D

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

And back to nothing. I wish WiiWare and VC would get a boatload and have the spoiled 3DS owners get shafted once in a while. One of the nurses laughed at me for complaining about this so I tortured her with my surgical tools (then I killed her and disposed of the body so no one would know, and I doubt any of you actually believe me or know where I am), but at the end of the day, I don't feel much better.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I had fun with Toki Tori on Wiiware, and I never got to try the GBC version, so I'll definitely give it a go.

UgliestSoup

UgliestSoup said:

I'll pass this week but its nice we get a VC game this time after like 3 weeks of garbage.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

When will my Sonic games come to the eShop? Its been forever since Sega said they will show up on there. They are on the eShop just sitting there but no download option yet.

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Ok. It's official. I'm in LOVE with Toki Tori and Speed-X 3D both at the same time. Two wonderful games, both so different. Played them throughout the day today and I love them so far. This has been a great week for the 3DS E-Shop! I'm so happy with this new gameboy color game, I hope Nintendo releases more in the not too distant future...

Nardar

Nardar said:

SpeedX and Toki Tori for me! I say it is a good week compared to the recent ones.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Also, the fact they released Toki Tori (which had a Wiiware sequel) gives me hope that they'll also release Shantea (which had a DSiware sequel) as well.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

I remember wanting Toki Tori when it first came out for gameboy color and never getting it. Looks like I got my chance now.

TonLoco

TonLoco said:

I remember wanting Toki tori when it first came out for gameboy color and i never bought it. Got my chance now..at a discount too.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Toki Tori and the TRFF demo are great! Finally, a good week after 8-bit summer. With Balloon pop and Fractured soul there are also more to come.