Nintendo Developing New Game Genres to Revitalise 3DS

Posted by James Newton

No laurel-resting here

Nintendo DS and Wii were hugely lucrative for many reasons, but part of their success is down to the innovative new games only possible on Nintendo's hardware: from Nintendogs and Brain Training to Wii Fit, these new genres really made the hardware into global phenomena. Of course, other hardware manufacturers and publishers soon caught up and Nintendo's advantage diminished, so what is Nintendo to do next? Think of the next big thing, of course.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata spoke to investors about the company's plans to continue expanding its gaming audience, and a big part of that is new genres to entice them in:

Aiming for the next fiscal year, we are also working on new genres of software that may attract people who are not particularly interested in video games. In order to further expand the definition of video games and to create new software fields under our gaming population expansion strategy, we are planning to launch several new software titles in the next fiscal year.

Iwata states that Nintendo's unique position of producing hardware and software will help it to provide "meaningful surprises" to attract a wide variety of consumers, as it did with Wii and DS.

Do you think Nintendo will succeed in creating enticing new genres? What could it have in store for the future?

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Zach

Zach said:

I think at least one of those would work very well on the 3DS

47drift

47drift said:

Educational / fitness games aside, last time they created a genre that really swept me off my feet, it was whatever you would call Pikmin. If it's anything like that again, you can consider me excited.

RVN

RVN said:

Electroplankton with an awesometer that lets you compete online to see who is the composer that fills the air with awesomeness first.
Or this may be an ip from nintendo about FPS, that would be new to them.
Now seriously, i hope it's something that really needs the 3D effect in favor of gameplay, THAT would be a clue of an entirely new genre.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

I think we have seen one, The Rolling Western (I prefer this name). Maybe Picture Lives (FFYCA) was another one? Aside from that what new genres could there be one that Nintendo has no characters for or totally new concepts all together?

lalalalalalal

lalalalalalal said:

NINTENDO
WILL
RISE!

yes, Big N, these are some tough times, but you can go out there and show 'em who the real king of gamin' is!

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Big Boob Academy?! I would love to know how that would work... painting naked 3D models perhaps? :O

iBeatz

iBeatz said:

I think nintendinosaurs is a good idea also maybejapanese training (it learns you hoe to talk Japanese)

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

i hope when they say they are going to develop new genres that they are going to branch out more and try something different to what they usually put out there.

still would like them to create a new action game or fighting game in a similar vein to streetfighter or tekken for eg.

Squid

Squid said:

They need to put archeopteryxes (would it be -es for plural?) in there, man. That would be off the handle, bro.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Sounds great! I hope they make more stuff like Elite Beat Agents and Rythm Heaven like they did on the DS. Such great IPs.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I think this just means we're going to get some really weird stuff like waitress simulator, or sewing mama, you know things most of us find boring in real life made into an expanded overpriced minigame.

I'm not sure what new genres 3D really opens up, finding things behind things? :/ Tilt control is something they really need to expand on. It's much more beneficial to gaming than motion control is imo.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Maybe a game that uses the camera to record moves like photo dojo but with large improvements. Like platforming levels and stuff like that.

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

Glad to hear this. With the announcement of the Wii U, it sounded like Nintendo was going to abandon all of the "new" gamers who bought the Wii since they were talking about how they were focusing again on hard-core gamers. I'm not much of a casual gamer, but it would be suicide for Nintendo to ignore them. Hope this turns out well!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Big boob academy is the most desperately sad idea I've heard on this site. What's more desperately sad is that you lot are supporting it.

Noire

Noire said:

I don't like boobs and neither should you!

I don't like boobs I don't like boobs I don't like boobs I don't like boobs I don't like boobs I don't like boobs

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@27 Blasphemy! Burn the non-believer!

Also, this sounds like Nintendo is just going to release a lot of strange casual games. Hardly good news in my view.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

You don't like boobs? Then you're not going to love DOA: Dimensions or Resident Evil Revelations.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

How about an open world game where you play as a dragon. Become a nation's hero or feared dictator, find a mate, build up your hoard of treasure and become the most powerful mortal being. It's like Elder Scrolls , but as a dragon. You could make a somewhat linear version if you wanted with an epic story.

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

"We are also working on new genres of software that may attract people who are NOT PARTICULARLY INTERESTED IN VIDEO GAMES"

Translation: Casual games like My Cooking Trainer 3D. >_>

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

"Nintendogs and Brain Training to Wii Fit" are good company sales-wise, but personally I could care less about them. Here's hoping these new genres are hardcore.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Let's see them release VIDEO GAME genres, not just cooking or typing simulators.

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

Will this put a dent on their production of sequels or spin-offs of their historical titles? On the other hand, I like to see new things. If they make new games that are different, I hope they're fun for all AND have high replay value. I'm unsure of what to view of this speech...

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Dear Mr. Iwata... Please revitalize my Wii while you're at it! :) Oh, in regards to the pic: After I've had Skyward Sword a long time, and Wii U is months away with no Wii games on the horizon, that pic will be me. Not smiling either. :P

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@21 JimLad: Tilt control is motion control. On that note we need Wario Ware Twisted on the 3DS VC.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@Hejiru

But consider this: They had already interested THAT casual market (look at casual titles on Wii and DS).
So... now consider those who STILL aren't interested in games DESPITE THOSE GAMES.

;) Good thing or bad thing?

Hejiru

Hejiru said:

@Skotski

But they need to keep making casual games to keep the casuals interested in buying their stuff. Casuals aren't fans; if they find something cheaper and better and on the iPhone they're not going to go for a 3DS. Nintendo can't rely on the casual market as much anymore.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

I can't wait for Team Ninja to make Metroid: Admeasurements for the 3DS. I'm going to shake Samus like a maraca.

Scissors

Scissors said:

Big Boob Academy already exist, it's called Senran Kagura: Portrait of the Girls.

MetroidMasher17

MetroidMasher17 said:

They should make a game that uses the 3DS's IR port to turn a toaster into a Nintoaster! And then maybe that could become the Nincinerator...

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

A GAME and a SIM ae two different things that Nintendo keeps trying to combine in order to attract mainstream audiences. Tell me Iwata, what happened to you guys' plan to bring back the hardcore group? Not sure how Wii U is gonna be successful if Nintendo's only releasing a few games that are mostly shovelware right before its release :/

Btw @1 Why not combine Big Boob Acadamy with nintendosaurs? Just don't combine the humans in the game with dinosaurs...0_0

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

This can be good as it could lead to Nintendo making brand new franchises. If there is any developer capable of bringing new ideas/concepts to the center stage, it's definitely Nintendo.

I-U

I-U said:

I would love for them to expand the create-your-own genre. They've done microgames, soundtracks, puzzle levels and stages. I would like for their to be a 3D world Mii adventure game where we are given a blank canvas of an island to create and then explore to progress through the game.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

I like I-U's idea, especially considering how StreetPass could keep things interesting.

It seems a little cynical to think Nintendo is talking about brain-training and cooking games and such when they say "new genres". Those are nowhere near new, for starters. That's the kind of thing we're more likely to see from most of the third-party output, not that that doesn't worry me. :(

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I hope that for the most part this really just equates to Nintendo making more programs(music/painting/etc.) for their hardware, than stuff that I personally would consider "shovelware". I said "I" b/c everyone has different tastes.

What other genres exist? I feel like saying that all of gaming(not just Nintendo), has tapped into pretty much all possible genres. Then again, I might be wrong.

Also, Nintendo needs to consider that maybe they should simply try keeping the (lucratively enormous) crowd of gamers(new/old/traditional/nontraditional) that they already have. Maybe right now they should just focus on perhaps doing what they know works, & just try improving already established hardware concepts, like improving motion-control, figure out better programming techniques to get more out of the hardware for less strain to the hardware, etc.? Maybe this stage is, or should be an "improve what you already have", as opposed to "recreate the wheel".

@Gavin_Rozee: #1 - Nintendinousaurs sounds like it would make for a good idea.

ChosenOne25

ChosenOne25 said:

Looool, laughed so hard at the picture comment: "Iwata, still not laughing" Hahahahahahhahaha :))

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Nintendo's Office for 3DS? I dont know what this guy smokes, but 3DS is still far far away from fulfilling the minimal expectations of any gamer and he is already thinking about using their resources aiming again to non-gamers?

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

If you really want to revitalize the 3DS, just coming out with new game genre's won't cut it. More and more people are getting connected with their games. Start pushing for strong online multiplayer components (like Heroes of Ruin)

Raptor78

Raptor78 said:

I think I can see what Iwata is aiming for. They really got the ball rolling on certain genres that once they went mainstream was then picked up by their rivals but at least it gave Nintendo a headstart in the sales, enough to push them so far as not to be worried by competition in the case of the DS & the wii.
Now with the 3DS I dont think the new game genres are going to be so obvious as to be using the 3D aspect, I imagine they will be building on the Steetpass/Spotpass functions and be making the most of them. Taking on Facebook games with a similar concept where you actually have to have REAL friend that you talk to via the face. lol

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Nintendo was and is only successful with Marios and Zeldas (or minigames packed with the consoles). Tons of Marios and one or two zeldas per console, they have not tried hard anything else in the pure gaming industry, and their consoles are really limited to that without third party support (that they dont have). I cannot understand why they need to aim again to non gamers when their bet for the gamers is so limited.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

@mandoble ... nintendo constantly go down the non-gamer route because they simply cant compete with the big boyz (m&s) ... god help them if the psvita blows the 3ds out of the water ... cause we know the wiiu won't compete with the 720 / ps4. /sadbuttrue :(

Bensei

Bensei said:

Don't mistake genre with franchise, Iwata-San. Dr. Kawashima was NOT a new Genre. The Atari 2600 already had educational Games. Nintendogs was NOT a new Genre. There already were Games in the "Toy" Genre. Nintendogs was just a far more developed Tamagotchi. Wii Fit is also NOT a new Genre.

I don't say those games were bad, they had a huge impact on the market.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

I disagree, they can compete, but they dont dare to, they just keep hidden inside their Peach castle thinking that its walls will protect them forever. Might be exiling Iwata to Siberia would fix the situation.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

i just think nintendo have fallen 2 far behind ... they are constantly playing catchup ... i cant see any microsoft / sony fans jumping ship 2 nintendo. :~/

Doma

Doma said:

When was nintendo's last serious attempt at creating a new IP for actual gamers? can't think of anything since Pikmin.

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Endless Ocean -> Arika
Disaster -> Monolith Soft (same as Xenoblade)
Another Code R -> Cing

From these, only Steel Diver has been developed by a nintendo Software Development Group (Nro 5, Responsible for developing games that attract casual gamers <- Wiki)

Ben_Rage_V2

Ben_Rage_V2 said:

I honestly think Nintendo is going to make a game that teaches us to relax as a way to alleviate stress. Imagine how that would appeal to top level executives who's jobs are incredibly stressful. Remember the Vitality sensor? It's totally the type of thing that could bring in new gamers, the same way the balance board brought in new gamers.

Ben_Rage_V2

Ben_Rage_V2 said:

@Bensei
Just because Nintendo didn't invent those genres, doesn't mean that Nintendo isn't an innovator. J.K Rowling didn't invent the genre involving witches, wizards and magic. But she was an innovator and she revitalized many people's love for books.

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Well they would make a fortune if they started pumping out all the old gameboy advanced games for downloads ( SOON they need to act fast on that one). The biggest selling point for the wii was being able to get the old games. Not motion controls all though that was nice.

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@SimonB79 You mean you can't see any Xbox fans jumping ship for Nintendo. Sony doesn't have any fans left. Blu-ray enthusiasts maybe.

techwiz97

techwiz97 said:

@Gamesake, what do you mean that sony doesnt have any fans left.

Also, Nintendo has always found ways to re-invent gaming in someway. The NES was way more sophisticated than the Atari, the Gameboy franchise is the best selling portable gaming system. The DS stomped the PSP, the Wii was the first game console use motion controls. Sony and Microsoft both copied some of Nintendo's Ideas, only slightly improving them. So why don't you people think Nintendo can't pull themselves together.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

@techwiz97 i luv nintendo (honestly) but despite its success the Wii has been the worst console ive ever had ... it never gets played on ... nintendo talk the talk but never deliver the goods (4 us hardcore fans)... they just cant compete with the 2 big boyz. :(

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@Sir_Dragoon - Ah, but what IS a videogame, exactly? It can be anything really - and I say good on Nintendo for attempting to break down stereotypes and refusing the game market to stagnate.

@SimonB79 - "they just cant compete with the 2 big boyz". What in Buddha's name are you talking about? Wii & DS sales: 71 & 149 million respectively, PS3 & PSP: 52 & 71 million, and Xbox 360: 58 million sales. How is that 'not keeping up'? There is one thing that is always clear - when it comes to innovation, Nintendo are the leaders, and Sony & Microsoft are the followers (just ask PS Move and Kinect).

Oh, and the Wii has no games?

Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Mario Kart Wii
Zelda: Twilight Princess & Skyward Sword
No More Heroes 1 & 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime Trilogy & Metroid: Other M
Little King's Story
Resident Evil 4, Umbrella Chronicles & Darkside Chronicles
Conduit 1 & 2 (...well, I liked 'em)
COD: Black Ops, Modern Warfare 1, 3 & World at War
MySims
Zack & Wiki
Monster Hunter Tri
Geometry Wars Galaxies
Grand Slam Tennis
Murumasa: Demon Blade
Wii Music (criminally misunderstood)
Guitar Hero 5
Dead Space: Extraction
Deadly Creatures
Go Vacation
The Last Story
Pandora's Tower
Mario & Sonic 1, 2 & 3

Not to mention all the WiiWare and VC games ;)

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

@kage88 the wii has been dead 4 the last 18 months (hardware / software sales) ... microsoft r lightyears ahead of nintendo ... when it comes to 3rd party support & online gaming ...

Omenapoika

Omenapoika said:

new genre for people not interested in video games... so what would make a non-player pick up the console? Umm... I get terrifying images in my head :D

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Just for these loving the numbers, gaming community has spent many more million € on the PS3 than on the Wii, the same applies to XBoX. Anyway, as a gamer I dont care at all about how many million units has been sold of anything, this is someones's obsession that I simply cannot understand.

boob

boob said:

Since playing face raiders and using pokedex. I have wondered if an ar mat battle arena is a possibility. 3d pokemon battle on your living room floor.

opeter

opeter said:

I have to fully agree with SimonB79.

The Wii is dead for me*. Sorry, but they simply don't have any attractive games anymore, like the competition (MS Xbox360, Sony PS3, PC/Mac with all these games on DVDs or services like Steam, Impulse, D2D, Gog.com, Indie Humble Bundles etc.).

• I still play it once or twice a month or two, but ... since I finished all my old games, there are only a handfull of games (normal Wii and some WiiWare), that are worth to replay.

The only game I bought in the last 12 months for Wii was Donkey Kong Country Reborn. That's all. And three WiiWare games.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@73 - I can't deny the 3rd party and online situations - they ARE better on PS3 and Xbox 360, you're right about that.

@75 - Well, each to his own. Personally, as a gamer, I DO care about how many units are sold, because it's an indicator of how well my purchased console is doing - if it sells a lot (i.e. enough to keep the company in business), then I'm comfortable in the knowledge that my purchased product will continue to receive support - and not die-off. I'm sure there were plenty of Dreamcast fans who said sales didn't bother them...

@78 - Interesting. It's actually the opposite for me - I have plenty of Wii games to play, but I haven't played an Xbox 360 game in ages. Usually my multi-format games are played on the PS3, and Microsoft have almost no exclusives I like (maybe Halo...but that's it). Still, I'm genuinely interested in the Kinect more than anything 'traditional' that is being churned out by M$. I've actually been a supporter of Microsoft's camera tech since day one (even if it IS an obvious response to the Wii), and I hope it gets the attention it deserves.

But really, 'attractive games' is entirely subjective. I prefer the majesty of Super Mario Galaxy or Skyward Sword over the tech-heavy Battlefield 3 and Crysis - but hey, that's just me.

opeter

opeter said:

@79 - I don't play any of these games like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis or Halo series.

I do however like to play different action and adventure, there are some FPS games (like Turok), racing games, strategy games (real-time and turn-based), board games and RPG games (the old classics like Baldurs Gate and similar, I do like the Witcher series too). And I don't play any games over the internet. I don't like multiplayer games.

However I really like these indie-games, like Braid, Shadowgrounds, Amnesia: Dark Descent and so on.

On the Wii, I also prefer the Super Mario type games, Metroid series, NyxQuest, Swords & Soldiers etc.

PoTher

PoTher said:

@ LadyPhoenix: Aw, you shouldn't be ashamed of your own body.

Anyway, hopefully it's something elegant & a "non-game" that's fun. Though I wish games like Hotel Dusk would see an increase (wish the US would've @ least gotten the sequel, Last Window). But something new in that vein could involve interactive comic books or something.

RYBlast

RYBlast said:

The Wii has mother effing Mario Galaxy, which makes it an instant win. Haters can go fu - err, bury themselves as far as I'm concerned.

@SimonB79

Teh Wii haz no gamez becuzz dey makin' de gamez 4 teh 3DS and WiiU. Besidez, dere is dis game called Skyward Sword dat is really amazin and cool.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

skyward sword will be the 1st wii game ive bought since goldeneye (last xmas) 11 month ago /facepalm

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

on the flipside... ive bought dozens of games 4 my 360 during the same time period.... gears3, F1, FIFA etc ... (xbox fans spend the cash ... nintendo nongamers dont)

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

@79, so based on sales numbers Wii should have plenty of support, right? No support at all from third party devs is already bad enough, and having Nintendo focused on casuals is even worse. Sales numbers, at least with Nintendo, means little.

techwiz97

techwiz97 said:

@SimonB79, I don't think that it was your worst console. I had a PS2, which was my first game console, and I LOVED it, but I love my Wii more. I got mine the year it came out, and I played it all the time. I just got a PS3 for my birthday, and I STILL play my wii more than it. Also, take into account that its backwards compatible with the gamecube, and my PS3 ISNT compatable with my PS2 games. So it has a bigger library. Also, the Wii wasn't really made for the hardcore fans, Nintendo really isn't hardcore, which makes it DIFFERENT! Both Microsoft and Sony are hardcore, so they battle with each other. Also, when people buy a Wii, its for family games and mario/zelda/metroid, not COD and Battlefield.

SimonB79

SimonB79 said:

@techwiz97 3rd party developers go where the money is ... ya average nongaming wii customer doesnt buy software ... this is the problem ... when the 720 / PS4 hit the shelves 3rd party devs will jump ship 2 the more powerful systems .... and history will repeat itself .... (the wiiu will collect dust like its older brother ... only used when mario & zelda make an appearance)

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

@Mandoble Saying the gaming community has spent many more millions on the PS3 than on the Wii isn't very surprising, considering the PS3 came out at nearly thrice the price of the Wii. PS3 owners have spent much much more.

techwiz97

techwiz97 said:

@SimonB79, but, what if Microsoft and Sony don't come out with a console for another year or two, Nintendo will lead. The interesting controller for the Wii U will probably be copied by BOTH Microsoft and Sony, like motion controls. Also, powerful doesn't mean its better, its about how the game plays. The Wii U controller with its built in screen gives hardcore games and casual games a boost. Also, I never really see Microsoft or Sony releasing casual games (but there may be some for the Kinect and Move, which was copied from Nintendo). Nintendo won't loose its casual audience, and if they promise hardcore games and maybe even make some of their own, they can lead ahead. The key franchises for Nintendo are different than the ones for Microsoft and Sony. Also, Nintendo has been around the video game market alot longer, they saved it, heck, they changed it. The did it with the Wii and if the Wii U does the same thing, then it will get third party support. Also, even though the Wii games now are trash, Nintendo's learned from that and the launch for the 3DS. They will released the Wii U with GOOD first and third party support. Also, if it has a good price like the Wii did when it released, then you have a winner, RIGHT?

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@SimonB79: It's been less than 18 months since DKCR, and that game has sold over 5 million.

It's not the Nintendo fans that refuse to spend the cash.... it everybody else that only buys 1st party games.

Besides that's not a fair comparison, Xbox fans will buy anything.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

@85 - "Nintendo focused on casuals is even worse" - First of all, did you even see my list? There have been plenty of 'core' games by Nintendo. Secondly, how was Nintendo expanding the videogame market and saving it from stagnation bad? This is what Nintendo have always done - disruption and adaptation. The 'casuals' have every right to be called gamers just as much as the so-called 'hardcore' (both oxymoronic terms if I ever heard them).

"Sales numbers, at least with Nintendo, means little."

Erm...you DO know who Nintendo are, don't you? You know, the same company who's American President has a pie-chart fetish? The same company who's CEO and VP both took a 50% & 30% pay-cut respectively due to the 3DS sales?

Mandoble

Mandoble said:

Sure Kage, the same company that kept me without games for months after paying 270€ for a 3DS and that now the only thing annouced till end of the year is a mario game. Nintendo saving and expanding videogame market? Without any third party support???? Or is that from your point of view only Nintedo things are video games? Go, enter any "game.com" web page, open the list of upcoming games for PC, PS3 or XBoX, and then do the same for Wii, DS or 3DS (an arid desert), and then you will understand that not a single video game company is depending on Nintendo to survive (except Nintendo itself) and that any other system has far more games than any Nintendo console. And that without adding i-Pads and similars into the equation.

tweet75

tweet75 said:

nintendo needs to increase the number of good mario and zelda titles than there sales will remain high