This Is How You Upgrade Items in Skyward Sword

Posted by James Newton

Pay attention

It's a generally accepted fact that if you're off on a long adventure, the things you find at the start won't be as good as the things you find at the end. If only the shopkeepers realised this and relocated to the smallest town possible, they could make a killing from young adventurers.

Anyway, that aside, this new trailer for Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword shows how you can improve your equipment during the course of Link's next adventure, using a combination of money and trinkets recovered from defeated enemies and solved puzzles. While upgrading your shield probably won't be the most exciting new addition to Skyward Sword, it should hopefully provide sizeable replay value and plenty of those beloved side quests.

Nintendo is calling Skyward Sword one of the "deepest and richest experiences" it's ever produced. We'll see if that's true in just two months.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This game really will be deep. When Nintendo says it's one of the deepest and richest experiences it's created, then that's a mighty big statement!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I love Link's expression whenever he picks up an item with the way that it looks like he's always looking at the items he has in his hands in such awe and amazement.

3DS

3DS said:

All ready have the Limited Edition pre-ordered so roll on 18th November :)

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Now we might actually use our slingshot after getting the bow and arrow!
Who am I kidding, it'll still suck.

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

My concern is that the game will pause EVERY, SINGLE, TIME we pick something up to tell us what it is.

I hope that it only happens the first time you get a certain type of item, and after that it goes straight to your inventory. Otherwise I'd be getting extremely annoyed.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

This game is gonna be amazing! November 18th need to get here faster!

But I agree with @Wheels too. I hope the picking up sound thing doesn't happen every time. It's gonna be a pain to hear that over and over if this system turns out to be deep and you'll want to search for the items.

skywake

skywake said:

@19Robb92 @Wheels2050
I'd assume it'd be the same as how it is with the other 3D Zeldas. You come across something like 10 Rupees or some Deku seeds for the first time and it gets all excited about it "wow! you found a Deku Stick! It's a stick!" ......... but then after that it doesn't make a big deal.

Late

Late said:

Didn't care about this game when it was first announced but it has shown to be really good. I'll be getting the Limited Edition with Golden Wiimote :D

Wheels2050

Wheels2050 said:

@Skywake: Ah, that's good to hear (I haven't played any 3D Zeldas). I figure Nintendo knows their stuff well enough to not do something daft like that, but you never know...

Squid

Squid said:

"Amber Relic", yeah right. Looks alot like a magatama to me, but I guess they have to 'localize' it.

zionich

zionich said:

Wow, guess Nintendo does wanna give Skyrim a run for its money and my time. This just got intresting.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

There's kind of a logic hole in this though.. According to the story, no one have been beneath the clouds or even knew that there was a land beneath the clouds until Link goes down.

So how come the merchant knows how to use all the items Link brings to him? He should be like "Lol WTF is this?" when Link hands over the items :P

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yes this is what I've been hoping for for a while now! It makes sense in this type of game to upgrade or have to repair items after extensive use! I really can't wait for what I'm thinking might be the best Zelda of all! I've also order the limited edition well because its Zelda!! Oh and I can wait. I've got too many other games to get through before this consumes all my time.

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Wondor if nintendo will sell me one of them big red birds that would be sweet to go to work on? :P

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Nice. I like that idea.Should make adventuring more rewarding. Happy. :)

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

I love how the upgrade option for your shield is just classed as "better". That made me laugh for some reason.

belmont

belmont said:

The games looks great.
This upgrading system was used in a lot of rpg games though.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

This November seems determined in destroying my studies! :O
First, Skyrim on the 11th, then Skyward AND Mario's 3D Land on the 18th!?
I am a victim of circumstances!

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Looks like those treasures from Phantom Hourglass and Sprit Tracks, but with much more interesting usage.

Man, this game is gonna rock! :)

Gameday

Gameday said:

The game is looking nice indeed. i may have to pre order this too. i haven been excited for a zelda game in a long time. But the more this unfolds the better keep up nintendo make this game the best zelda so far.

Poncho

Poncho said:

I hope this game is hard. Really challenging. I'm sick of all the easy games out nowadays, even Twilight Princess was a little on the easy side.

moosa

moosa said:

People will find something to complain about with this game. Trust me.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Link, it's not a good idea to pay in advance for a blue-collar service like that.

Anyway, that sword combat looks amazing!

LordTendoboy

LordTendoboy said:

That shop music is terrible.

And I thought the entire soundtrack was orchestrated. Some of that music sounded MIDI.

JimLad

JimLad said:

The first thing I'm gonna do when I play this game is go somewhere else other than that damn forest level they keep showing.

Kirk

Kirk said:

This looks pretty cool but I really can't wait until Nintendo catches up with everyone else in terms of graphics and audio (including some proper voice acting for the characters, apart from Link obviously). All I keep thinking when I see this is how nice it could look with proper cutting edge HD graphics with high resolution textures and decent lighting and some proper voice acting etc.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

weeps
...
What? Can't a man cry about the best vg franchise ever without having to make a comment?
So beautiful =*}

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

ok, not waiting anymore.............................................................................................................................................................. PRE-ORDERED!

Guybrush

Guybrush said:

Maybe it's just me but the shopkeeper's music reminds me of Monkey Island 2...maybe the spitting contest? Looks great, can't wait!

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

I still have to preorder this, it's kind of shocking that I have not been following this game as i would with other big titles, but to go into a game completely blind is much more exciting than knowing everything before you even buy it. cough brawl website cough

tinman

tinman said:

YUCK! I hear too much of that crappy MIDI music in the trailer! I'd hoped they'd gotten rid of that, but they seem to use it once again. This is something that really bugs me. Can do without voice acting, but this?!

timp29

timp29 said:

@PaperLucario News on this game has been pretty limited. I've been trying to get more info, but this is the first news I've come across in about a month.

Is Nintendo withholding information in the interest of the experience of playing the game, or are they still deeply in development. I'm still questioning this game coming out this year. That's why I'm holding off on the pre-order... I can't enjoy this game post-Christmas holidays due to uni commitments.

bauckster

bauckster said:

Like tinman, I am concerned by the extensive MIDI music heard in the trailer. If Mario Galaxy can have a fully orchestrated soundtrack, why can't they do the same with Zelda?? It just seems like a no brainer to me. Otherwise, the trailer was ok... I definitely liked the transition to the clouds, and the system for leveling items seems decent. But again, the MIDI music just sounds so...dated and ugh! Anyone know the extent to which the game will be orchestrated vs. not?

Cia

Cia said:

Uh.. the music sounded almost as boring as In PH or some of the areas of WW. Well, however this ends up, at least we have Xenoblade and the best videogame music ever in it.

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

@timp29 Your kidding right (About questioning the game's release)? I'm not surprised that info was pretty limited, the Big N usually has a thing for doing that. Plus I'm sure the lack of info is to surprise the player, for the experience. Like I said it's more exciting for a game like Zelda, to know very little from the get-go than to know everything before the game even comes out, it sort of in a way enhances the experience.

tpurple

tpurple said:

I'm pre-ordering the bundle that comes with a disc of sountracks from the games, a golden Wii remote with the Wii moition plus built in with the eagle tri-force sign on it, and the the game.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Have to agree w/ Kirk. I like the colors and the cell shading but all I kept thinking while watching that video was - why am I watching a video for a 480p game in 720p? I'm playing Neir now and it seems to be a similar game, and damn ugly compared to Enslaved, another similar game which I played a while back. And the rastafarian blacksmith should get to talk. It's not 1987 anymore Nintendo, people talk in games now. Link doesn't have to talk - I get non-talking protagonists - but everybody else should. Looks like a fun game, but I'm still holding out hope for a WiiU edition. Heck, Resident Evil 4 came out on PSN this week, how old is that?