Nintendo Download: 18th August 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

Fighting in the streets

It's that time of the week again: the Nintendo Download is upon us, bestowing a bounty of digital deliciousness, or leaving a sour taste in your mouth. You decide. Here's what's on offer and vying for your currency today.

3DS eShop

3D Classics: Urban Champion (Nintendo, $4.99) — The NES 'classic' is reborn in a third dimension, with local multiplayer support for two players to boot. We'll rough and tumble with the game and see if it's got the right stuff in an upcoming review.

DSiWare

Zoonies — Escape from Makatu (Kiloo Games, 500pts/$4.99) — A rather enjoyable side-scrolling adventure, guide Leo the lion through a treacherous jungle and escape from the titular tribal leader. Read our Zoonies — Escape from Makatu review for the verdict.

Build-a-Lot (MumboJumbo, 800pts/$7.99) — The popular building sim comes back to DS after a retail release back in 2009.

Blockado — Puzzle Island (Bitfield, 500pts) — A puzzle game on DSiWare from the developer of Giana Sisters DS, this merges story, puzzles and a tropical island. We'll see if it's a winner soon.

WiiWare

Flight Control (Firemint, 500pts) — The classic game of guiding planes to safety makes a scheduled stop on WiiWare for just 500 Points. Hopefully it can live up to the series' good name, so we'll see how it fares in a future review.

Nintendo Video

Jason Derulo, It Girl — Jason Derulo! It's a video featuring everyone's favourite singer of his own name.

UYUYUI! — No, not the screams of exasperation at yet another DSiWare puzzle game, this is an animation about two children, a picnic and a huge gust of wind.

Duel — Regrettably this isn't the cinematic directorial debut of one Steven Spielberg, but another video from those College Humor guys about fighting.

What's heading your way today?

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

Nothing for me this week, thanks to Nintendo's insistence that the 3DS not receive more than one game per week. Thanks!

Link79

Link79 said:

If Urban Champion 3D ends up sucking as I imagine it will then this week is a total washout.
Add that to the lack of any Gameboy games yet again and we've got one crummy set of updates.
Way to go Nintendo. :(

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Add that to the lack of any Gameboy games yet again

Yeah, well you got a 3DSWare game instead. You only get one or the other usually.

Punny

Punny said:

Nice to see new material on Nintendo Video. Oddly enough, I got the It Girl video this Monday! All is Not Lost was getting kind of old, anyways. Also, just because a game is a classic doesn't mean that it's necessarily a good game. It's times like these that I want my free Ambassador games...

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

I hate that Nintendo is proving you right about that. I miss the days when we received more than one game. That was what, two days? Ugh.

Link79

Link79 said:

When the Wii shop first started we were getting two, sometimes even 3 VC games a week.
Now the 3DS VC is still in it's infancy and already we're having weeks of absolutely nothing?
It shouldn't be so hard to find gameboy games to release this early on.

Btw who in their right mind ever considered Urban Champion a (classic)
Hell of a choice of a game to get the 3D treatment.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

YES! One of the crappiest games remade in 3D! My dream has come true. I may never need to download another game again.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't think you'll be getting the full 10 NES games on September 1st. You'll probably get one a week or so.

Link79

Link79 said:

@ mumof2kids82
Yeah 10 Nes games most of us have probably already owned on the Wii VC
or even before that.

TheGreenSpiny

TheGreenSpiny said:

@16: It's the GBA games I'm most excited about. Those won't come till forever. There's lots of GB and GBC games I'd love to play. Maybe something for the 3DS ware would be nice? Anything is better than Urban Champions.

motang

motang said:

Too bad we can't choose what to view and when with Nintendo Video, it's pretty arrogant of Nintendo to say you watch what we tell you to watch and when we tell you to watch it.

SteveW

SteveW said:

It's now to the point where I am not even disappointed anymore, I have come to expect that I'll never get any of the games I've been waiting over a year for... for example... Descent? Retro City Rampage? La-Mulana? oh well, maybe I can download them on my WiiU...

justinr

justinr said:

@SteveW: that's assuming that you care enough at that point to buy a WiiU. I'm on the fence about it now, because with all this lackluster cheerleading that Nintendo's doing for it's own products, what's there to get us excited about their support of the WiiU being any different? They'll squeeze it for a couple of years like they did the Wii/DS, then slowly let it dwindle to oblivion as they romp in the piles of cash they've made at our expense.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I'm gonna go ahead and pick up Urban Champion and play it on my last day of roadtrip today! Looks fun, and 3D Classics are great so far.

As of DSiWare, no good games. I wouldn't waste your money.

MrDanger88

MrDanger88 said:

For only $4.99, you can get one of the worst games ever conceieved...NOW IN 3D! The amount of resources and time wasted on this is astounding.

rodoubleb

rodoubleb said:

Hopefully this means that Urban Champion will not be one of the free Ambassador games ?!

I would be happy to download it for about 99 cents.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

I don't care what any of you say, I'm still gonna get it and see how it turns out. Hopefully the 3D looks good.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Oh look - Flight Control on WiiWare! Anyone that has a Wii should pick that up.. It's alot of fun.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I wonder how Japan's VC is turning out... They always get the best end of the stick. I'm surprised that there is 3 DSiware games a week. Hopefully, this happens for original 3DS titles. I really want that Wild West- armadillo game (and Nintendo's new IP that will obviously be overlooked- just as their other new IPs recently).

Please pick up the pace with the GB VC. Unless the games are so old that there may be licensing issues. Bring out Kirby's Dreamland 2, Pokemon Puzzle League, Dragon Warrior 3, Wario Land games, Kirby Star Stacker, G&W series (2 and 3)... Oh, and Dragon Warrior Monsters!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

When I get a game I seem to enjoy it more than other people do. Sometimes if I have a game that gets a bad rating, I'm really surprised to see it. Because, well, they never turn out that bad. I'll also get it for the sake of telling you guys how it is on the 3DS. It could be good on the handheld.. you never know until you try!

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Pizzacore
Urban Champion will never be good.
Perhaps you'd like 3D China Warrior too.
Hope you didn't want that 5 bucks for something worthwhile.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

@Link79 I've also learned that most people on these reviewing sites and what-not are so judging! I'm not like that. I'm going to get it and enjoy it as much as I can.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Awesome, Urban Champion is mine. I figured out how to pull off a monster 1-hit-combo in the original.

stratocastx

stratocastx said:

Never played Urban Champion, but I'll buy it just to have a complete collection of 3D Classics and the support for simultaneous 2 players is pretty cool, no matter how bad the game. :)

yoyogamer

yoyogamer said:

Just for some perspective, Japan got no new games this week. And I suggest you all wait for the Dsiware reviews before you consider these games to be awfull.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I feel sorry for the person reviewing urban champion! Well at least the game isn't that long. Wait can it be call a game?!

Link79

Link79 said:

@ Pizzacore
Nobody and I mean Nobody is going to give Urban Champion a good review.
It's not judging. It's facts.
It's just not a good game.
More power to you though if you just can't stand holding on to that 5 bucks.

Btw
The update isn't til around 12:00 PM. It's been this way since forever.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I want to play Zoonies. I bet it's 1000000% better than Urban Champion! :P

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Pizza, way to be your own man! I often really enjoy games people rag on endlessly, too, so give it a shot. It's far too easy to crumble and agree with the masses. (Hey, I'm sure UC isn't fantastic or anything, but people like different things. Hard to make a blanket statement about something so subjective as how enjoyable a game can be.)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Urban Champion is not bad it’s just basic. It was released in a simpler time when games were simple, before angry fan boys lashed out on the internet. Urban Champion was out long before the Street fighting craze started and it’s meant to be played to see the evolution of Nintendo's history not as a competitor to Street Fighter IV.

Number_6

Number_6 said:

Build-a-lot actually looks like (potential) fun. But since my internal 3DS memory is filled up with DSiWare already, and I'm no-way-in-hades going to start bouncing games back and forth between internal memory and SD card,,,,it will stay a mere potential and I'll have an extra pint at the cafe tonight.

Portista

Portista said:

Build a lot costs $7.99 James. Just was on the eShop. Too bad it wasn't $-0.01. That would be cool! :P

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

the 3dfighter looks basic but if pizzacore wants to enjoy it who am i to say otherwise i got sml chrono twins and birds+bombs even the last of them is a good one lot better than aura aura anyway

DrDaisy

DrDaisy said:

At this point, Nintendo might as well put a "Screw you!" message in their weekly updates to anyone who doesn't have a DSi or 3DS.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@66:
Does that mean that you are reviewing Urban Champion?

I don't know. I'm too scared to check my email.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Shouldn't Nintendo Video be listed as a subcategory under 3DS eShop since it's only available on the 3DS? The Wii has Nintendo Channel which is populated by videos and the DSi has internet access but only 3DS gets Nintendo Video? Really, some things Nintendo does just really make me scratch my head.

slidecage

slidecage said:

anyone know if BUILD A LOT is the same verison as the cart or extra stuff or watered down.. i have a sealed cart verison but tempted to buy the download... then again maybe not for 8 bucks

GreenAbobo

GreenAbobo said:

I need to pick up some points for Zoonies. Looks like a good game, and the review here reaffirms that impression.

Azikira

Azikira said:

Wow, that Build-a-Lot game must be terrible for Nintendo to pay us a penny to get it. XD

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I downloaded Urban Champion, and am finding it pretty fun. It's simple, and a good time waster.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

My bday was just a few weeks ago, so I'm still enjoying Mega Man X, even though I had already beaten the game by other means, earlier this year. I still love playing it on a console(in a close emulation of it's native resolution), & w/ a controller. I'm not gonna spoil the surprises w/ X 2/3. I might even d/l OoT. So, I'm good for now. I'm interested in knowing what N will do for VC/WW transfer to WiiU, if anything @ all.

Birdman

Birdman said:

I'll look into Blockado and the Nintendo Videos ... once my 3DS comes back from repairs.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Hahaha, no one here can enjoy something. It always has to be a game 9 and up for them to say it's decent.
EDIT: I just bought Urban Champion and here are my honest thoughts. I have to say, the game looks really presentable to me. The colors, the animations, the way the buildings move when you switch to the other side of the street. It's actually really enjoyable. Screen-wise. As for gameplay, It would be nice to have more than one option (Punch) but the game is actually a really nice time waster. When you beat your opponent you feel really achieved, and It's nice to pick up and play this whenever you want. The 3D Effect doesn't look as good as the other 3D Classics, but it adds a nice touch.
Overall, I think the game is worthy of a 6/10. For 5 bucks, you get not one of the best games ever made, but a fun game. This is all in my opinion. This isn't a bad game, pick it up if you are interested! I did.

To other people that bought Urban Champion: Please share your thoughts so these people that are complaining how bad it is won't influence others not to enjoy the game. Thanks.

shoopdawoop70

shoopdawoop70 said:

wait... i only got it girl... oh and btw my nintendo video is glitched sometimes i get a notification for a new vid it's just the vid re-uploading itself... i've gotten What is Nintendo Video? redownloaded SO MANY TIMES!!!

JimmyWhale

JimmyWhale said:

Summer's almost over! I need my La Mulana! D:

Though I have to admit... I'm actually somewhat interested in Urban Champion. The 3D effects look like they might be really cool...

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

@JimmyWhale Don't take other peoples opinions on the game. They are saying It's $5 down the toilet and crap.. I think It's a game worthwhile. BTW: Take this from someone who actually HAS the game.. THEY haven't even tried it.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nintendo wonders why sales are down and then they release stuff like this on their systems. Really, what's the mystery?

Give us some quality games please.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

Looks like nintendo really hate their old games why so little love for the vc? its been for nearly 1 month i that my wii is collecting dust and you know why i finally found a place to get old N64,SNES cartriges

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@pizzacore: The reason people are saying it's crap is because they've actually played it before — maybe not the 3DS version, but at least the original. Disrespecting people just because you like something they don't is not kosher — play nice, please.

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

@theblackdragon I'm just so sick of the complaining. We are not talking about the original here, we are talking about the 3D Classics version. I'm not disrespecting anyone here.

I'm done with this though. UC is a great game in my perspective.. You have to understand that the game was made at a simpler time.. Ninty doesn't want to change it up and ruin it. Keeping it original. It may be super basic, but It's sure alotta fun.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Pizzacore and Gavin: Honestly I'm surprised you guys liked as I remember it being such simple game (Not much variety, although there are people that like getting game and watch games too. At least you're trying to see the good in it, now that you've got it.
It's been so long since I'd play UC that I'll have to look up the video now to se if memory serves.

@For anyone else: Check out a video first at least, just to have an idea of what you're in for. :)

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

It was inspired by Game and Watches Punch Out! So It's a bit better than that. But a bit overpriced, that's all.

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

@Pizzacore: Yeah. Should have been less if it's exactly the same as the origional.

Is there nothing at all different about it? It doesn't have a "score"board, for lack of a better word to atleast keep track of how far you went? That way you can see how well you did each time?

edit: Do you have the ability to suspend a game and come back to it?

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Never played Urban Champion, so I guess I'll have to see what the lack of fuss is about! Rather more anxiously awaiting Super Mario Land 2, Metroid II and the Capcom offerings (btw where are Konami & Squeenix???).

Nintendo sure is being stingy with 3DS VC for a relatively new service. Actually expected more this week, to welcome all the new 3DS owners following the price slash.

zionich

zionich said:

@pizzacore
I think where most of the complaints comes from, is that with the wealth of games they can pull from, Nintendo is picking the least (if not never) popular ones. Thought the whole idea is to make money.

stratocastx

stratocastx said:

I bought Urban Champion and although I haven't played much yet, I find it fun and addicting. Like Heavy_Barrel said, it's a game from a simpler time that helped pave the way for fighting games, so it's worth owning as an enhanced piece of gaming history, if nothing else.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Does Nintendo even know what a classic is? Exitebike and Xevious are definitely classics but this is just pathetic Nintendo. Might as well release 3D Classics Superman 64 and Action 52 while you're at it. :P Thankfully Twinbee is next, now that one's a classic.

Shadow_Chad6982

Shadow_Chad6982 said:

i really like urban champion but the game is really out dated. i would kinda have a hard time paying $4.99 for it

Ren

Ren said:

I appreciate the spirit of those defending UC, but you really can NOT have played the original to like it now. It sounds like a few things have been changed more than just adding 3D.

If you played the original one on a NES you'd understand just how bad it really was. It's not about a 'simpler time'. Most games of that kind that were even close were a LOT better; it was really terrible.
I remember being almost outright angry playing it back then, it was so bad, like NES 'back to the future' or 'Friday the 13th' bad.
the same screen and move literally over and over with nothing else happening, no variation whatsoever; I think it's been tweeked a little more now to feel more 'classic', but I won't get it to find out since the original was a really hard memory to supress the first time.

it's a noble gesture to think you're playing a 'classic' that lead to later fighting games if you're 20 or younger now, but if you're any older you'd know that it did NOT inspire those later fighting games at all in any way, there were contemporaries of that time that did that and so much more.

Mao

Mao said:

Does this NES game only have three levels? Because if it does, then I want my money back XD

ueI

ueI said:

I don't believe the game allows for multiplayer. Hopefully I'm wrong.