Oh Look, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Sold Better Than Expected

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Anything beats "zero," we suppose

It took some minor licensing miracles for Capcom to get Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars outside of Japan and to a Wii near you. It was a critical and community success, but how about financially?

Capcom community manager Seth Killian appeared on a Destructoid podcast to talk about the upcoming HD-bound Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and the Vs. series in general. The conversation eventually came around to the Wii-exclusive fighter and how it's performed at the checkout counter. Pretty well, as it turns out:

[The game] certainly beat the initial expectations. It didn't set any land speed records, but it was a success. And that's really saying something considering that we're talking about a game that was not only never coming out, but has a title that most people can't even pronounce.

We certainly enjoyed the game quite a bit in our Tatsunoko vs. Capcom review and feel it deserves all the success it can get, but given its niche nature we can only imagine sales goals were quite modest to begin with.

If a fighting game with a funny name can perform reasonably well in a culture mostly in the dark about half of its roster on a console considered primarily to have a casual audience, we would expect something like Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to burn up the Wii charts. But, it would seem, it won't have the chance. Puzzling.

[via destructoid.com]

Zach

Zach said:

I expected that I would buy this game and then I bought it.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Well I'm still waiting till it hit the stores in Holland. I really hate the distributor of Capcom games for the BeNeLux. No Ace Attorney Investigations because of R4, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is nowhere to be found and I was surprised to see Monster Hunter 3 in one store today.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

No, it's really not particularly puzzling why Marvel vs. Capcom 3 isn't coming to Wii: The Wii can't handle it. They'd have to develop a separate low-power version to get it on the Wii at all, and it'd most likely be nothing but a crappy port. Y'know, like the VAST majority of multi-system games that are on Wii as well as PS360.

It IS nice to hear that a Wii exclusive game aimed squarely at core gamers sold above expectations, given how often we hear about disappointing sales in that market. It's nothing I wanted BECAUSE I don't know half of the characters, but I certainly didn't want to see it outright fail, either.

pixelman

pixelman said:

vgchartz.com says it sold 0.24 million, but for some reason I doubt that's very accurate. Still, it's not bad.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Well glad to hear it exceeded expectations. I still plan on getting it down the road, but have too many things to beat right now that are sitting on my shelf collecting dust. I did buy MH3, so Capcom still got some of my money.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Nobody seemed to mention they also announced Monster Hunter Frontier 3 for the PSP. It's supposed to have everything MHTri has and more. Or Street Fighter IV for the iPhone. Thanks Capcom. >: (

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Then wii is an experimental to PS360 sales?? i want SSFIV and MVC3 for wii

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Did any officials say Marvel vs Capcom 3 and Super Street Fighter IV were never coming to Wii? Just wondering.
I'm well-aware that those games would have to be downgraded somewhat to be put on Wii (at least SSFIV). That doesn't mean it wouldn't happen.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I have a lot of fighting sticks for the Wii... Hori's... the Shaft... the Tatsunoko vs. Capcom one... and now I have the Classic Controller PRO (not a fight stick, I know, but...). Bring Marvel vs. Capcom 3 to Wii, Capcom, or I will invoke the fanboy ire you're facing for Bionic Commando ReArmed 2 to a greater degree! :)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@pixelman..... 240,000 copies is prob about right man. That would be numbers that would get the above response. That is still a lot of copies for a pretty much usually only a import only game.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@BlueFlameBat

I think Capcom has already learned their lesson about downgrading games to the Wii, so I don't think they intend to make that mistake again any time soon.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

1. What were their expectations?

2. What did it sell?

I'm sure either way it made money for them, but I want to see the numbers. I doubt it would be comparable to a PS3 or 360 successful launch, but I'm curious what a big developer considers a success on the Wii, since none of us really know.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

I just bought this today, actually, as well as the Arcade Fightstick that goes with it. I highly recommend both. Hopefully Capcom will release Super Street Fighter IV and Marvel Vs Capcom 3 on the Wii someday.

Akio

Akio said:

The Wii should always have exclusive games. Ported games never gonna make it

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

This is great news. I still find it kind of sad that Tatsunoko vs Capcom has been overshadowed, first by Super Street Fighter IV and now Marvel vs Capcom 3.

Oh well, I do hope MvC3 makes it to the Wii somehow. This news might make some form of difference.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I'm still yet to buy a copy, but I know for darn sure I'll be picking it up eventually

Glad that it made Capcom open their eyes a little!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I'm guessing TvC is the Wii's MvC3. Enjoy it.

I agree on a street fighter port, since they did one for iphone.

Golgo

Golgo said:

One of those sales was mine. Alas, online matchmaking was so balked that I traded it back within a week.

brokenpavement

brokenpavement said:

This was a day one purchase for me. Those that are not interested in the Tatsunoko license should still give this one a try. I have friends who loathe anime, yet they had a great time with it.

James

James said:

I bought it and still intend to play it again, having not touched it in two months or so. Great game though, so I'm glad it sold better than expected.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I wasn't going to buy this game at all, but the hype and review convinced me otherwise. No regrets, it's absolutely brilliant. I can't remember enjoying a fighting game this much since Super Street Fighter II.

I also hope Tatsunoko will take advantage of it and use it to sell more of their anime properties outside of Japan (I've got a strong hankerin' to watch some original Tekkaman adventures, but there's enough localised stuff to tide me over for now).

MmBuddha

MmBuddha said:

I can't recommend it enough, I've been singing it's praises to anyone who'll listen, I've had so much fun with it. It's one of the best fighting games I've ever played.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I bought two, so there you go, Capcom, I helped make those numbers nice and shinny.

ejamer

ejamer said:

I wish people would stop being so down on Capcom for not bringing stuff like Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter to Wii. C'mon guys! They gave us EXCLUSIVE titles like Spyborgs and Dead Rising: Chop 'till you Drop, so what is there to complain about?

99er

99er said:

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is a terrific game, I could see why it sold better then expected. ejamer, your absolutely right, Zack and Wiki and We Love Golf were another two great exclusives from Capcom as well.

JonWahlgrenAdmin

JonWahlgren said:

@ejamer: Dead Rising was a port of a 360 game and not Wii exclusive. Spyborgs was pretty basic but had its moments. Neither are really of the same calibre as a SFIV or MvC3.

Dru192

Dru192 said:

I'm actually glad Capcom didn't release the numbers, too many gamers have become obsessed with numbers using them for bragging rights or whatever (i dont really get it tbh). This is a great no make that AMAZING game, that I still play almost everyday (took a break to complete Red Steel 2 but now I'm back) and is easily my favourite Wii title to date! If you still havent bought it u can pick it up cheap and if you want a match hit me up here: tatsunical.blogspot.com. Gud on you Capcom! Thanks for listening to your fans and bringing this title over, glad to hear you didnt get let down!

plankton88

plankton88 said:

I was very excited about this game. I bought it right away, then traded it in a few days later. I just couldn't get into it. I don;t know why. Its not a bad game, I just didn't like it for some reason. I guess I'm more of a Street Fighter IV guy.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

"given its niche nature we can only imagine sales goals were quite modest to begin with."

True, but given the nature of the Wii audience passing modest sales goals is still quite a feat. Remember Marvelous Interactive has small sales goals and 3/4 of their games don't so much as break even.

I'll guesstimate that the game sold 160,000 and counting if I read vgchartz right. Okami was a "success" too at about 250,000.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Okay it sold millions so how about some Super Street Fighter IV, Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and Capcom vs. SNK 3 please Capcom.

Crunc

Crunc said:

I agree with those saying that ported from HD games are a mistake for the Wii, and I think it's pretty safe to say that that's what Capcom thinks now too, and bravo for them, and good for us. I'd rather have exclusives, and they are doing a great job with them. This game and Monster Hunter Tri - who can complain about how Capcom is treating the Wii these days?

EdEN

EdEN said:

I've added the game to my "to purchase" list for the end of the year. I need to get a Stick for Wii and another for PS3 so I'm thinking of going with a USB based one and using a USB to GC converter so I don't have to buy two separate sticks...

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

it cant understand why somebody wouldn`t pick up a game because they don`t recognize half the roster.
and yet people would happily buy street fighter 4 without knowing the majority of the charecters in that game.
it just seems a bit hypocritical to me.
TvsC should be an instant buy for any fan of this genre.
i`ve enjoyed this game immensely, and i think the graphics are great.
as long as the game play can translate over, fighters don`t really need to have HD graphics, because (as far as i`m conceaned) capcom proved it with TvsC.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

Okay, so Dead Rising for the Wii was a bust, but didn't they do more than just downgrade the graphics? Weren't some other features like jumping and taking pictures also removed?
I don't believe I have seen any screen shots of Marvel vs Capcom 3, but if it's done in sprites, Wii should be able to handle it.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Games like this and Monster Hunter Tri are exactly what the Wii needs - brilliantly made hardcore 3rd party titles that succeed both critically and financially, to show other developers that a hardcore audience does exist and games will sell... so long as you don't make them so bloody niche (see: Madworld)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@my_point_is: In my own defense, I don't give a darn about Street Fighter IV either, or fighting games in general. Marvel vs. Capcom is the only one (outside of Smash, which of course only sort of counts) that I pay any attention to, really. So basically, I'm NOT a fan of the genre, and simply dabble when the roster entices me, which is extremely rare.

@BlueFlameBat: They haven't released any screens yet, but the trailer and statement about what engine it'll use confirm that it will NOT be using sprites; the visual style is expected to be more like Street Fighter IV. I very much doubt the Wii could run it well.

And it's not just Capcom that's failed with Wii downgraded ports...EVERYBODY did in the first year or two of the Wii's existance. Then they learned the error of their ways and backed off. With the exception of made-for-kids movie tie-ins which will sell anyway, and the occasional quality title like Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Um, TvC doesn't use sprites guys, it's 3D cell-shaded characters similar to SFIV.

I don't see why Marvel vs. Capcom 3 couldn't happen for the Wii - I expect they could leverage the work done with TvC. It just takes the will to do it. If TvC can sell beyond expectations with a roster of unknown characters then a clever marketing person would probably realise that a game using known characters would sell even better. I'll be surprised if we don't get a version of either SFIV or Marvel vs. Capcom on the Wii.

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

I don't know about SFIV or SSFIV for the Wii - I mean those games seem to be love letters to high-re, high-framerate arcade fighting gurus, and while many of those people may own Wii consoles as second or third entertainment units, Capcom has pushed the resolution, framerate and overall experience of the current series so high that to rerelease the titles for Wii would (for lack of a better word) "lessen" it.

TvC was made with Wii hardware being the focus, and I just can't see the SFIV series given the same amount of attention. Even if it did, naysayers would compare it to the PS3/360 versions and declare it a failure based on the lack of HD alone.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Its the Best Game that Came out this year so far, and Capcom can Care less about it.

So much for Supporting this Game to Every one I meet.

Rerun

Rerun said:

I played the JPN version so this game was a pre-order for me. I even got the stick for the heck of it. Excellent title! Together with Monster Hunter Tri, it's been a good year for the Wii as far as Capcom is concerned. IMHO, one A-list title per quarter per company is more than enough for me. As opposed to multiple C-D titles that come out almost every other week!