System Update 8.1.0-19 Now Available on 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Can you handle the stability?

Earlier this week there was a Wii U system update that made it so stable that we could barely comprehend the level of stability. 3DS owners may have felt left out, so Nintendo has courageously stepped forward with an update for the portable, taking us to version 8.1.0-19.

Below is the word from the official changelog.

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience.

Exciting stuff, as always. We were prompted to download the update when opening the eShop (thanks to those that tipped us off) and it was a very quick process. By enhancing the user experience, Nintendo may mean "blocking the latest attempt to mod and hack the system".

Still, stability... Marvellous.

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Okay, what's with all the quick updates lately? I honestly doubt considering how quick 8.0 installed (and how stable the 3DS has been since) that they added a heap of bugs to the pile.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I hope this kind of updates would bring something major in the future.

element187

element187 said:

"By enhancing the user experience, Nintendo may mean "blocking the latest attempt to mod and hack the system".

That's pretty much what they mean. Enhancing the overall user experience. Meaning the user experience is enhanced when your not pirating games.

Stay stable, my friends.

element187

element187 said:

@Shambo Yes. We need folders. I have almost filled up all the tiles. I'd like to be able to organize by retail, indie and VC. Or by Mario, Link and Donkey Kong games... Or some other nonsense that doesn't matter

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Judging by Sonys "stability" updates for the PSP back then, those are mainly to prevent piracy ;)

galachef55Staff

galachef55 said:

I accidentally whacked the coffee table with my shin after updating and standing my 3DS up by its front edge. Didn't even wiggle.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

These tiny bits of stability are truly a blessing. Thank you, Nintendo.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

eShop and NVer seem to be the only files that got changed. NVer does what it says on the tin (so always changes).

eShop last changed with firmware 8.0.0-18 (note 8.1.0-18 is the previous firmware to 8.1.0-19) released at start of July.

ClockworkMario

ClockworkMario said:

I bet there are some poor hardware engineers at the Nintendo HQ, balancing three 3DS's and a Wii U on top of a stick while riding an unicycle. Iwata's watching anxiously: "Damnit! It's not stable enough!"

efaulk84

efaulk84 said:

I hate all system updates in general. Usually all these do is prevent piracy. I feel that I just do the system update because I want to use the online store for said systems.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Do we really need this to be said every week? We know Nintendo keeps improving the stability

VolcanoFlamesNL

VolcanoFlamesNL said:

TBH, I was one of those left out 3DS owners. Anyway though, I'm intrigued. No major updates. Or maybe the 8's all about stability.

audiobrainiac

audiobrainiac said:

Love that stability. Keep it up.
@kereke12 They'll never stop with the updates until the end of the 3DS's life.
@Guovssohas Because some people may not know about it. I want to know about the updates the very day they're released and Nintendo Life is very informative. One of the many things I love about them.

Linker2A03

Linker2A03 said:

I think I know what these updates are for! Nintendo's fighting the possible dizziness that could come from using the 3DS, by making it even MORE stable!

Now I'm that much closer to being able to do consecutive, non-stop 1440 degree rotations while playing my 3DS, without getting dizzy!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@WaLzgi Funnily enough the only time my 3DS has had any stability issues whatsoever was one of the recent tiny so called stability updates. (Don't see why they don't just be honest and call them security updates).

OldWeeDog

OldWeeDog said:

Oh man, Nintendo why? I'm starting to need more and more stability. When's the next one coming? I need my fix already and I've just installed it... Please understand... ;-)

90sRetroGaming

90sRetroGaming said:

Yo dawgs, has anyone made an Xzibit Gif on the 3DS's stability yet? I need you to make me a stable Gif on more stability so that I may add more stability to your stables. It'll please the horses.. belive me... it will! ;)

SurferClock

SurferClock said:

I opened my 3DS, saw an update, and went "oh boy, I hope it's more stability!" Today's update did not disappoint.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

I love how enhanced my user experience is. However, my system is so stable that I can't remove it from my charger cradle...

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

@Nestalgic The hacking scene is no joke. These kinds of updates are basically anti piracy/security updates.

Homebrew channel was the best thing to come out of the Wii, but the piracy scene practically made the Wii shop useless. I know this firsthand...

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

I'm sorry, I must have missed the Sony logo on my 3DS.

Knock off the pointless updates, Nintendo. We don't like this on PlayStation, we don't like it here.

xj0462

xj0462 said:

i have an idea that will blow your minds!! what if nintendo actually added a NEW FEATURE in an update!? mind blowing isnt it!?

vattodev

vattodev said:

Anti-hack is always good for regular users. Don't get me started with how much I hated hackers in MHTri on the Wii. That's all in the past now and I hope MH4U doesn't suffer from the same game breaking morons that doesn't want to have fun hunting monsters and thinks that a cheated HR 999 means that they are too good to play with real skilled players.
We already have enough problems with competitive Pokemon because of hacks. Keep them away as much as possible, Nintendo!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@element187 On my 3DS I have a folder for 3DS games I consider full games, one for Indies (within which I still divide gamer's games and casual as separate groups), one for DSi ware, one for VC, one for various 'apps', and one for all the Zelda games.

On my Wii U I use tabs, but they're getting full really fast (got all the 30 cent VC games and such... And I can't find it in me to remove the games I really enjoyed, like Little Inferno.)

SurferClock

SurferClock said:

@xj0462 No, but yes. I said those exact words before looking it up here, and it was a stability update, so I got what I expected. It worked out.

Henmii

Henmii said:

There are a lot of updates lately, on both the 3DS and Wii u side. Why is that? Maybe the hackers/virus-makers are on a loose? Either way, If it helps Nintendo and us (a safe system) its okay.

Oh, and lol at all the comments: Are YOU able to stay stable?!