Here's a Rather Attractive Portable Nintendo 64

Posted by Jake Shapiro

It even has a GameCube analogue stick

Have you ever felt the urge to play Jet Force Gemini one more time, but you're sitting on a bus or plane? You're in luck, as console modder Bungle has created what may be the definitive portable Nintendo 64. It's his fourth attempt at the concept, with more to be made in the future. Check out this nifty behind-the-scenes video:

The curved design mimics the curvature of the N64 cartridges, although the all-black look with the contours evokes the Sega Genesis (Mega Drive) controller shape. Bungle's specifications for this system are as follows:

Custom controller-shaped case with hand grips
3.5" screen
Battery: 4400mAh at 7.4v
Battery life: 4 hours 15 minutes
Expansion Pak
Battery indicator
1st party N64 controller
Custom buttons and d-pad, dual z buttons
Gamecube style replacement joystick
HMDX Go Portable Audio amp and speakers with volume buttons
Switchable internal memory/rumble

It's quite a meaty package, and Bungle must be commended for swapping out the N64's original rickety control stick for the GameCube's supple, sublime alternative. If you want to get your hands on one of these portable 64-bit beauties, join the console modding forum Bacman or subscribe to Bungle on YouTube for future updates.

[via kotaku.com, bacman.co.uk]

Tops

Tops said:

Very cool, but I would settle for even having a standard N64

YoshiTails

YoshiTails said:

N64 - best console ever - I say that as someone who traded theirs in + 24 games for a Dreamcast. Foolish doesn't even cut it.

FubumblR

FubumblR said:

Very cool, even includes the the expansion pack guts so you can play MM!

Great, now I want to play 'Quest 64,' too.

Curse you, nostalgia!

Donutman

Donutman said:

I have been looking into building my own one of these. I just converted my old pc to Ubuntu and this us my next project.

edcomics

edcomics said:

Dreamcast was a very good system, as was the N64. I would actually enjoy one of these suckers. Since data was saved on the cartridges, you could start a game on the home console, put the cartridge in your portable, and continue the same game on the go.

Unless I'm totally wrong about it saving on the cartridge. The brain is tired.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

The button placement and the GC Stick makes this a better controller already. But it's still sad that after all this time, a modder finally managed to make the N64 enjoyable (bite me, I never liked N64).

RancidVomit86

RancidVomit86 said:

Not sure how this is making news everywhere as you can find many folks on YouTube who have done this and will sell them.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

A good friend of mine built one (portable N64) just like this except the handheld design is more GameCube style than N64. It can play all N64 games but isn't compatible with 64DD. Also it had two sticks instead of one, the joystick and the right stick which can be use as alternatives for the C-buttons. Really great to see some other people doing creative projects out there.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

Luckily I still have a perfectly working N64 that I used to play Jet Force Gemini on just a year ago! This is a nice option for those that want a more modern way to play N64 games.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

Very nice. I only wonder about the feel & location of the Z button for FPS games like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Other than that, AMAZING!

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

How much is it going to cost? Seriously they need to somehow mass produce these things!

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Would love to play DK64 once again, it's been so long since that fantastic game! Hope that game will be on VC someday.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

Wait, wait... You're telling me the Donkey Kong 64 cartridge was actually yellow in the US? Why was it the same boring gray as almost every other game in Europe? Shame on you NoE, shame on you!

AkinaChan

AkinaChan said:

Sooo are these products legal to make? As in, to mass produce and sell? I see a lot of modded consoles around Amazon an Ebay that play multiple old Nintendo games, and have always wondered that. Either way, it looks amazing!!

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

Nintendo should consider releasing something like this. Loads of gamers still have their old carts. Sega do it, though, they over do the release of Mega Drive consoles. They won't unfortunately as they stick to their Virtual Console.

technotreegrass

technotreegrass said:

I still have all my N64 games, but I think I'd just rather have a controller with a Gamecube-esque stick. How I DESPISE the N64 controller's stick.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Trikeboy Well there is a portable SNES around that has practically been produced on a large scale...let's see how long it takes someone to take a step up and get a N64 one. :-)

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

Wow! Seriously, this deserves the recognition it is getting as the build quality and design is excellent. It pays homage to the source console and controller. It has one of the most elegant cartridge slots thanks to that rounded top. Love it! He does it again!

ToniK

ToniK said:

Looks neat. Great job. Why is the Wii U gamepad so big? I love it but it is a bit clunky although comfortable. Just... I mean this thing holds a complete console inside and its still quite compact. Yeah the gamepad screen is big but it COULD be more "sexy". At least one old man would be happy if you know what I mean.

Goginho

Goginho said:

hmm... well, if this came out 15 years earlier :/ but dat piano music tho :P

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

I'd love a new N64. I have about 30 N64 games and a broken N64 :-( I noticed recently that Super Mario 64 is missing, I had a party or two a long time ago and someone must have pinched it.

The N64 is a great console with one major flaw, the control stick is designed badly, its gets stiff.

luke88

luke88 said:

Wow, what an outrageously talented person. I really envy people with that level of engineering/electronics knowledge.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

My first initial thought was 'WANT!' but then then the next thing I thought was it'd be great to play Mystical Ninja 64 and Duke Nukem 64 on the move.

Both of those games use Controller Paks to save. I can't see anywhere on that thing for Controller Paks to slot into :(

EDIT: Oh, hang on, the specs say it has switchable internal memory/rumble. I'm back to wanting one now :D

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This is a really gorgeous design! I wouldn't consider buying it however until the batteries look like they are being held in place by more than just blutack. Also, I really would love to play Jet Force Gemini on the move, it's one of the few games I own which I never completed.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Wow, beautiful job. Best portable N64 yet... Makes me dream of the day when N64 could finally happen on portable Virtual Console with a sweet, sweet 3DS-style circle pad.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I have 75 N64 games, 70 of them still in their box and wrapper. Two consoles (I should get a third one). I want this portable!

Pod

Pod said:

Having one of these would be amazing!

I've still a good couple N64 classics lying around that I never quite made it all the way through.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

@technotreegrass Ever heard of the Hori MiniPad for N64? That one served basically as the basis for the design of the Gamecube controller (and has a GC-like stick, only slightly larger)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

I actually just ordered a replacement redesigned n64 joystick just like the one on this device, it is totally worth the extra price. I kept my old worn-out stiff N64 launch stick just so I could recommend the feel of the redesigned one to my friends first hand.

The first time I used it, shivers ran down my spine it was so smooth. As for this portable system, the inclusion of the expansion pack was a welcome surprise, (though it should have been obvious as it was running DK64) and I am in love with the way the cartridges flush along the back of the unit and the twin z buttons on the back. I would possibly get one of these but I can already tell that multiplayer would be impossible for several reasons. Still, would be a cool toy if the price was good, which it wont be because its custom built from scratch. Still love my N64 baby :)

AshFoxX

AshFoxX said:

@Kafei2006 I actually have one of those controllers, I don't recommend it at all though. It's the gimp 4th player controller in my house for a reason. Because of this all of my friends learned to bring their own 1st party controllers over for Mario Kart 64.

Kafei2006

Kafei2006 said:

@AshFoxX I have one too, and I absolutely love it!! I have tiny hands and have no problems with it. True, the first party one is preferable is some cases, such as playing Goldeneye or Perfect Dark, because it turns out a little bit too sensitive for its own good, but for games like Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie or Conker's Bad Fur Day, i wouldn't want to go back to the original (though like I said, I sitll take out the original for a few games where I just feel more comfortable with it)

HappyHappyist

HappyHappyist said:

i don't know, ever since i bought that SupaBoy mobile SNES (imo an awful piece of hardware), i've been skeptical towards these other portable devices. those buttons on that thing look really mushy.

mikeyman64

mikeyman64 said:

Very nice work!

One of these has been on my project list for a while. Damn you college and work!