Nintendo Passing on PAX East 2014

Posted by Tim Latshaw

Not shipping up to Boston

There is some potentially disappointing news for Nintendo fans heading to PAX East this 11th-13th April. A Nintendo spokesperson has reportedly confirmed with Polygon that the company will not have a showing at the Boston event:

Interacting directly with our fans and letting them play our games firsthand is a key component of our approach. That doesn't include PAX East this year, but we will offer our fans a variety of opportunities to get their hands on Nintendo products in 2014. Keep an eye on our social media pages for more information about where we'll be and what you can play.

This will be the first year Nintendo has had no presence at PAX East since the expo's inception in 2010. In the past, the company has featured games such as The Wonderful 101 and Animal Crossing: New Leaf there, among others. There will still be StreetPasses up the wazoo, at least, and Nintendo-prominent indie developers including Renegade Kid's Jools Watsham will be present to welcome all comers:

With Nintendo's absence from PAX East combined with no recent sign of a Nintendo Direct, it's worth wondering just what the company is considering when it comes to reaching out to fans this year. Do you think they're planning on a big shakeup?

[via polygon.com, nintendoworldreport.com, twitter.com]

ikki5

ikki5 said:

seriously? and when I thought they were getting better at marketing....

@PrincessEevee9

Nintendo Directs are not really that great of an option... Really, some kind of press conference is the best because you get more than just the few people that would watch a direct. You'll get the people that watch a direct plus more. Nintendo marketing is now... S***. To be honest, not doing a press conference at E3 and doing a Nintendo direct was one of the worst things they could have done. They had no spot light... none at all and now they are doing a similar thing at other conventions which is just plain stupid. I am starting to believe they are trying to become the least wanted company.... People really need to be fired and never go back into the business that are there. Like come on, they have more than enough money to do something and they aren't. This makes me feel so sad.

2Sang

2Sang said:

There's no point of going when you have no games. Sorry but MK8 alone isn't enough to make people go "wow"

Tops

Tops said:

Thank goodness for Renegade Kid and the 3DS! Look at Jools swooping in like a boss B-) Now I'm even more excited for Treasurenauts

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

Ducktales at Pax East last year. Mighty No. 9 at Pax Prime 2013. I wonder what this year's indie surprise is.
On-topic tho, what would Nintendo show besider MK8, indies, and maybe Bayo2, Hyrule Warriors? The 3DS only has maybe Yoshi's New Island, Mario Golf and Kirby 3D.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

We enter the dark age of Nintendo. Still dangerous to go alone, but there's nothing to take.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow, I am starting to believe now that Nintendo is really in trouble. Maybe we will see a Mario game on the PS5.

mch

mch said:

I does suck a bit that Nintendo is awesome and 'noone' knows about it..

DakotaM47

DakotaM47 said:

@Tasuki They have 8.6 BILLION USD in the bank. That's more than Sony and Sony makes TVs. I don't think Nintendo will die anytime soon.
@vamkar I knew that video before I even clicked on it. I love E3 that much.

KryptoKrunch

KryptoKrunch said:

@Tasuki

Sony's not showing up either. By that logic, maybe we'll see the next LittleBigPlanet game on the next Nintendo platform.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

They could do a nationwide mall tour instead. I would find that more effective than a con

King47

King47 said:

@Zach777
We all know it. They can't show the same games ask time and expect us to get wowed. They need to stop being so secretive sometimes. There is a limited number of x trailers that I can see before wanting a release date, name, and demo/game details.

boynerdrambling

boynerdrambling said:

Nintendo have already released a statement saying that they are planning other events for the consumer to get hands on. Obviously there gonna be doing a tour of some kind. But of course that statment hasnt been reported here. And whats with the constant direct begging? Its so whiny

sonicfanatic

sonicfanatic said:

come on now really you guys think nintendo is doomed just because they aren't making an appearance

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@loveth21 Can you ask him to cast a spell on Nintendo and turn them back into the company they were in the 90's?Bring back Sega too if that's possible?That would be great,cheers!

allav866

allav866 said:

@2Sang I don't know, MK7 boosted 3DS sales considerably, and besides that there's still Smash Bros. for Wii U to be released before the year's end.

gage_wolf

gage_wolf said:

I'm not holding my breath for E3 anymore. I was convinced they would blow the roof off last year, and instead we got a Nintendo Direct that showed us mostly what we already knew. Nintendo is in a weird place these days.

mowerdude

mowerdude said:

@allav866 Smash Bros. might get release this year for the Wii U, but it is also going to be releasing on 3DS also. So some people will just pick up the 3DS version instead of the Wii U version. I own a Wii U but I don't own a 3DS can't stand handheld systems. But I will not be picking up Smash Bros for the Wii U because I don't care for the Smash Bros games at all. But if they made a new starfox or f-zero game I would pick them up day one.

TimLatshawAdmin

TimLatshaw said:

@boynerdrambling From the statement in this story: "That doesn't include PAX East this year, but we will offer our fans a variety of opportunities to get their hands on Nintendo products in 2014."

noctowl

noctowl said:

"Interacting directly with our fans and letting them play our games firsthand is a key component of our approach"....except we are going to pass at a huge gathering of our fans.

Windy

Windy said:

This is a bad sign..... I can't believe the spokes person even had the audacity to say we believe in letting our fans experience our game first hand and then in the next sentence were not going to be at pax. Terrible move. Way to grab the torch @jools and represent. wow at least someone will be there spreading the Nintendo joy. What is going on Nintendo? have you lost your ever loving minds?

CharleSketch

CharleSketch said:

Maybe I just don't know much about the event, but since when is PAX so relevant? Isn't that a convention by the penny arcade guys? Why is it such a mind blowing disaster that Nintendo is missing it?

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Fair enough it seems to be a bit of an indie ruled expo and Ninty have nothing new to show yet. But they could have showcased those 50 unity titles and gotten more indies on board with the Wii U just because of their showing a positive attitude towards putting a spotlight on smaller games?!

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

I think it shows the reason DKTF was 'delayed' was so there was a game in between Christmas and MK8. It's obvious they have very little, and what they do they are stockpiling for E3 and the American media.

I have invested in a few old, cheap titles I hadn't picked up so I'm all right for games, but it doesn't make it enticing for non owners, does it?

MAN1AC

MAN1AC said:

@Tasuki
Out of all the negativity surrounding Nintendo, THIS is the thing that makes you start to think they're in a tough spot?

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Some people seem to have forgotten a lot of the negative politics surrounding the organisers of PAX last year. Although Nintendo haven't stated why they're giving it a miss they're not alone in that decision.

Whether or not you agree with it, skipping this conference doesn't mean anything is seriously wrong with Nintendo; in fact it might mean that something is right!

Morph

Morph said:

The simple fact of the matter is nintendo has barely anything to show off, from meory the only games with release dates are mario kart 8, kirby 3ds and mario golf 3ds, i think thats literally it.

We know they have bayonetta, smash, X, and hyrule warriors and smt x fe but they must be working on a lot of stuff we dont know about yet and they arent ready to show it

datamonkey

datamonkey said:

So why not let people do exactly that at PAX Nintendo?

Emblem

Emblem said:

Im disapointed NL didnt do more research before posting this article, and as usual the comments section is full of nonsense.

All these companies are also skipping but everyone wants to attack Nintendo, smh.

Nintendo
Sony
EA Games
Capcom
Sega
Warner Bros Interactive (Turbine WILL be in attendance)
Deep Silver
Popcap
Mad Catz
Frima Studios
Twisted Pixel
Perfect World
CCP Games
Creative Labs
Asus
Moga

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Beat me to it @Emblem so many complaining without doing more research on the matter just making themselves look silly.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

@Emblem cheers for the extra insight on this man, still think they would want to do it if they had enough to show as they NEED to be trying to keep some momentum. But if others are skipping too it could be more a case of choosing the right battles?!?

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I hope the phasing out of Nintendo Directs mean they are saving up a huge number of suprises to unleash upon the world at e3. They've said Zelda will be there so people will definately be watching! Would be nice to have one in early April. Even if the predominant focus is on Indie titles.

Guybrush20X6

Guybrush20X6 said:

@Zach777 Usually the sort of comment I'd get mad at but you''re right. All the big games they got coming aren't in a demoable state. There's Bayonetta and X in the works but I think they're at the extensive debugging stage. Heck X is probably still in design stages.

Superryanworld

Superryanworld said:

@Emblem @Emblem You think you' ve done more research than a site that cover's everything Nintendo?Outside of mk8 release date I dont have anything to be excited about aside from what has been confirmed,and knowing most third party's are pretty much out for the count all thats left are smash,bayo,x,dw zelda with 2014 ???I want to see it to believe it with virtual console.Compared to the wii its just sad,so i hope next monththings turn around.I guess I'm a little impatient considering the u had a year head start on the ps4 and id imagine sony's new system will have way more content a year from now.Nintendo doesnt consider themselves to be in the "same game" as m$&$ony but it's not that simple.At this stage in its life the wii u should have way more pr than what it's getting.My long rant aside,the marketing and industry buzz has been horrible for the wii u and who's responsible for that?

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

Regardless of who is and isn't showing up, it would have been a good idea to come with Mario Kart at least.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Nintendo is not attending an PAX event, Something that they've been doing consecutively for a while now. Clearly this is a bad sign for the company at large. /sarcasm

Heh, and according to @Emblem 's research the other companies isn't coming either..... This is the gaming Armageddon ladies and gentlemen.

allav866

allav866 said:

@mowerdude Fans are all begging for Nintendo to do something--anything--with Star Fox and F-ZERO. I'd settle for an F-ZERO GX/AX HD with online support, and I'm sure I'm not the only one on that boat, either. Nintendo's gotta give in some time...
Star Fox does need a new game, that much is certain. SF643D was great, but now that the series moved back, it can only move forward.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@Emblem nice to see someone doing there research, that doesn't work on this website. I'm sick of all the negativity that nintendo receive. They make some of the most amazing memorable games, but because they don't always do what everyone wants they get stick for it.
Nintendo have had a 30 year history of great games and all anyone wants to do lately is report negative things about them. Sick of hearing it

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@Zach777 You read my mind. Let's be honest. They can only talk so much about Mario Kart, Bayoneta 2, X, and Yoshi Yarn. They're beating on the dead horse by now.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

I assumed Nintendo would want to distance themselves from the recent batch if bad press the penny arcade guys have gotten. Now if that start skipping stuff like comic con I'd be worried.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@PinkSpider I share your feelings. There's this strange, bizarro-land reality where Nintendo is hated / doomed / out-of-touch / ignorant / lazy, and then there's the world I live in where I pump 30 hours a month into Wii U and am more excited for Rusty's Real Deal Baseball on 3DS than Titanfall or Infamous.

Bummed that they won't be at PAX East, but there'll be a huge Nintendo presence there at the Handheld Lounge alone, not to mention the Classic/Current Console rooms where last year hundreds of people were playing Nintendo Land and having a blast.

allav866

allav866 said:

@MoonKnight7 I'd imagine it would be mostly used for off-tv play, a feature I rarely use since I have my own tv. Maybe it could use gyro controls, and for F-ZERO, its touch screen could be used for the decal editor, but that's all my imagination will produce.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Emblem I thought I heard that other companies weren't making it either. Glad that's the case then. Well this definitely means that PAX East had issues last year

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@PinkSpider In NL's defense, I tried a Google search on those other companies and couldn't find anything. There really isn't much coverage on the absence at PAX East except Nintendo.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

@allav866 Under what rock have you being living? Nintendo has mentioned a few times on Directs Yarn Yoshi, just because they don't shove it down our throats as often as they did DKC:TF and they do MK8, Bayoneta 2, and others; it doesn't mean they "never" talk about it as you claim.

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

I've been to PAX East...I actually went to it a few months before the 3DS launched and got some hands on time there. Can't say that it was that big of a deal....the whole event was lame.

Naptime85

Naptime85 said:

Nintendo's E3 2014 better be absolutely mindblowing. I mean rock your socks off, slap your grandma amazing. Not just another "meh B+" showing. In my opinion, it MUST be A++ presentation for them to even be relevant anymore. Sorry, but if I don't see any real effort from Nintendo this year, the Wii U might be my last Nintendo console.

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

@allav866

Well, for Star Fox in particular, what if you had the gamepad as the inside of the cockpit? I think that could add some cool elements to the game.

allav866

allav866 said:

@Dark-Link73 They only announced Yoshi Yarn once, then never talked about it again. I think you're confusing Yoshi Yarn for Wii U with Yoshi's New Island on 3DS, which they have been shoving down our throats.
Aside from that, they haven't really talked all that much about B2 or X. They finally showed some gameplay for them in the last Direct, but before that, their previous appearance was on Nintendo's E3 Direct.

JimLad

JimLad said:

That's not good.
More backwards steps when they should be pushing forward.
The likelihood of an E3 conference is looking ever smaller considering they're in worse position now than they were last time. :/

Memeboy3

Memeboy3 said:

@Daisaku36 OMG! SONY ISN'T COMING TO PAX!?!
OH NOES! NOW THE XBONE, AND INDIES WILL CONTROLL THE INDUSTRY!!
R.I.P Sony and Nintendo and Etc...
jk...

2Sang

2Sang said:

@allav866 Smash bros will also be on the 3ds, and I'm going to guess that the 3ds version will greatly outsell the wii u version and most people won't want both versions if it means having to drop $300 on a wii u vs 150 on a 3ds, especially if they have the same amount of content.

allav866

allav866 said:

@2Sang The Wii U version might be more tempting for people who prefer to play at home with friends/family rather than online. I highly doubt the 3DS will have Download Play, so if two brothers want to play SSB on 2DS, it would cost about $340 for 2 2DS systems and 2 copies of Smash Bros., or they can play on a TV screen and in HD, it would cost around $400 for a Wii U, a copy of Smash Bros. and a Wii U Pro Controller. These are the minimum prices, not counting pre-owned prices. Now say there are 3 or 4 brothers, or one of them wants to play in 3D, then the price goes up for the handheld version. With the Wii U, it's just $40 for each added player's Pro Controller.

One more thing. Just because the Wii U version's roster of characters will be the same, doesn't mean it will have the same amount of content. The Wii U version might have the stage editor, or more event matches, or better stages. we won't know which version of Smash Bros. is better until it's out.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

@allav866 From what I have seen so far, the Wii U definitely has the better stages. All of the ones shown on the 3ds has been super bland to me, which is a shame since I have to get the 3ds version.

allav866

allav866 said:

@Excep7ional Super Mario Galaxy is more impressive than Super Mario 3D Land, but they're both clever stages for their own unique reasons. But yeah, for the most part, the Wii U has better stages.