Nintendo Download: 9th January (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Contra goes to war, Mario's début, Korg creativity and more

Over a day later than expected, we now have this week's Nintendo Download details for Europe. This week brings us one game each on the Virtual Console platforms, some cooking and musical creativity as well as a few discounts. Let's get to it.

Wii U Virtual Console

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Konami, €7.99 / £5.49) — Originally known in Europe as Super Probotector: Alien Rebels, the U.S. version (in all of its 60Hz glory) arrives on the European Wii U eShop. It has plenty of manic run and gun action either in solo or co-op play, and is a stand-out action game from the Super NES era. We gave this an explosive recommendation in our Contra III: The Alien Wars review.

3DS eShop

KORG M01D (DETUNE, €24.99) — This was in the European update of 7th November 2013, but evidently didn't make it to every country in the region; it's been available in the UK since that date, and the listing today only includes the Euro price. This is an expanded version of a DS title, with 342 "unique sounds" among other features. While it may be an emulation of an arguably retro way to compose music, it has high production values and does its job well, as we explained in our Korg M01D review.

3DS Virtual Console

Mario Bros. (Nintendo, €4.99 / £4.49) — Before Mario figured out how to run right and fight a variety of fantastical creatures, he was stuck underground taking on enemies within the confines of a single screen. The NES version of this title may bring back fond memories, but it struggles to stand up well in the current day, as our Wii U Virtual Console Mario Bros. review explains.

3DS Retail Download

Cooking Mama 4 (505 Games, €29.99 / £24.99)

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

MYST (Funbox Media, €9.99 / £8.99 until 31st January, normally €13.99 / £12.99)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €5.99 / £5.39 until 23rd January, normally €7.99 / £7.19)

3DS eShop Permanent Discounts

Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D (Funbox Media, €3.99 / £3.59, was €13.99 / £12.59)

Tangram Style (Moving Player, €2.99 / £2.69, was €5.99 / £5.39)

That's your lot for this week, Europe. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (211 votes)

Contra III: The Alien Wars (Wii U Virtual Console)

25%

KORG M01D (3DS eShop)

Mario Bros. (3DS Virtual Console)

Cooking Mama 4 (3DS eShop retail download)

MYST (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Tangram Style (3DS eShop permanent discount)

Nothing for me this week

60%

Please login to vote in this poll.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I'm not interested in it but Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove 3D really dropped in price. I've never seen such a discount!

Also, predicting the 'Where's Pokémon Bank?' comments...

Nomad

Nomad said:

Nothing interesting this week except Contra. Btw, does anyone know what happened to the Aeterno Blade demo?

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Ugh. Terrible week. It doesn't matter, I'll just play with my new WiiU New Super Mario, Super Mario 3D Land or Wind Waker ^_^

What a wonderful girlfriend I have ♡

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Given how slow January usually is with new releases, you'd expect they'd at least spice up Virtual Console offerings to keep us busy. Good thing I've yet to finish Assassin's Creed IV.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

US version of this Contra game is THE best Contra game ever made.
Glad to see it make the European eShop

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Nintendo are mistaken if they think they can price Mario Bros. at the highest price point on the NES. It really should have been the lowest. Mario Bros. at £4.49 and Contra III at £5.49 - its ridiculous.

MAB

MAB said:

Contra upgrade even though I couldn't be bothered playing it again. I will keep hunting down those badges in Knytt Underground and continue with Assassins Creed 4... I really don't need anymore games at the moment ;)

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

One more reason to finally transfer my Wii stuff to the Wii U once i'll get my new TV. As if i ever really needed another one.
But having the closer-to-the-original version of Contra III: The Alien Wars on the same console as its twin brother Super Probotector: Alien Rebels is a tiny bit more special than just having the still very welcome 60 Hz versions of most other games.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Slim pickings I see, i'll be skipping everything. I'm still playing other games so its not that big of a deal though I hope next week brings something better.

Side note anyone with a pS3 who loves contra needs to pick up Hardcorps from the psn store, awesome homage and modernisation of contra like games. I also recommend getting the samurai girl dlc, totally changes the gameplay and is awesome.

Porky

Porky said:

Doesn't Europe always get 60 HZ of games on the Wii U because if they do it's pointless to even announce that it is 60 HZ lol. What's good about the specific 60 HZ anywho? XD

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I have Super Probotector on Wii Virtual Console. As we are getting US version Contra 3, will we still get discount £1.50 Download Price ?

Cesco

Cesco said:

I guess that if I can't have Metal slug, then Contra: TAW is definitely better than nothing.

FX102A

FX102A said:

@Ootfan98 Not sure, but I personally doubt it. Being different versions in both game speed and sprites, it's likely they'll treat then as 2 separate games.

I already have Super Probotector on my Wii (wish I could copy all VC games rather than move them) but I may actually buy this faster version (as if the 50 HZ version wasn't tough enough).

Although the chances are next to nil, what I wouldn't give for the US version of UN Squadron to be released for VC.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

No need of Mario Bros., not with Yoshi's Island's GBA rerelease as an Ambassador VC title. Man, the Mario Bros. remake is awesome.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I've still got my Super Probotector cart but might invest in Contra 3 because of all the memories :)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^It's still delayed. It broke the eShop, I think its safe to say its going to take a while.

And you guys get the US version of Contra 3? Neat! Considering all the 50hz complaints, I hope that becomes a thing.

Windy

Windy said:

Kind of a slow week which I'm Actually glad of. Wow I have so many games to play on my 3DS. I downloaded 5 games last week with all the sales. I was hoping we might see Grinsia this week but I have a ton to play anyway. I picked up SpyHunter 3DS yesterday and what a load of fun! It's got some slow down but I don't even care it's good Car blasting and explosive greatness!

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

I kind of want Contra 3, but M2 has ruined me. I need the CRT mode! I need all the options!

I felt the same about the recent Super Mario 3 releases. The bar has been raised.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm glad there's nothing to download this week, I have enough games as it is & really need to clear out my backlog...

Vriess

Vriess said:

Contra III for me. Pick up the pace with those VC games Nintendo. Pick...up...the...pace!!

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

Cooking Mama series is quite good and fun. Now to have a new Cake Mania game or just put the first 4 DS in eshop. How can anyone dislike Cooking Mama?

okamiki

okamiki said:

@Nomad You have to go to the last page of eshop, there you have the demo at least I found mine like that.

For me nothing at all and for those saying "pokebank comments" do you think it is fair some using it and others get nothing? I am patient but it is unfair.

KingMike

KingMike said:

@Bass_X0
What's worse about Mario Bros. is that Nintendo made a better version of Mario Bros. that was only released in PAL (in 1993, aka "Classic Serie") that they seem to forget exists (over the international 1983 version).
(with more accurate graphics, cutscenes, and it allows Mario to turn mid-jump. While less accurate than the arcade, it improves the game's playability.)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I didn't know about that. Also, I think they should have released Donkey Kong Classics instead of Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. seperately.

t1redmonkey

t1redmonkey said:

Who on earth would spend £4.49 on Mario Bros which is essentially a minigame? Bit of a joke that it's more expensive than proper full length games on the VC like SMB3 (or any of the Super Mario games for that matter).

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

At least you guys in EU get Mario Bros. That makes 4 NES 3DS VC games we in the NA don't have that you do.

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

The Korg synthesizer is an emulation of a classic synthesizer, but the new sequencer in it is very modern way of making music. Although I'd like them to make another, more sophisticated synth(what comes to sound generator), but what comes to writing music, M01 has one of my favorite sequencers. Speed composing.

Detune, Please, make something to Wii U. Even thinking about writing music with the stylus and with dat sequencer, but in even bigger screen, makes be happy.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Get the finger out on the VC Nintendo, Christ on a stick it's bad.

Why would anyone pay for that Mario Bro game? It came free with all the updated Super Mario gba games about 12 years ago. And I can't see kids now, who never played the gba versions, wanting to play this, ever. The mind boggles.

To me, the extremely slow release of poor VC games says to me that Nintendo really don't want our money, I thought they were a international business into making profits?

Ridiculous.

Mitsuko_Chan

Mitsuko_Chan said:

I don't care if Mario Bros. is not coming to the NA 3DS VC. The remake on the Super Mario Advance series is way better.

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

Good to see Nintendo are learning and giving Europe the superior 60Hz version. Long may it continue.

But that price?? Are you kidding me?? It's worth £3.49 at best. NES titles (good ones) are worth no more than £2.99. They really need to sort their VC pricing, region locking and cross-platform purchase policies.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Why do they not just put the vastly superior GBA version of Mario Bros at least then the game would actually be fun.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

@KnightRider666 You've had Snes games that EU has not received as well as actual new games like Dr Luigi also Chibi Robo coming out this week, my point is all region have a different selection available so complaining is just pointless.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Cool that they're releasing Contra 3 as Contra 3 rather than Super Protector :) I still have the cart but always hated that name! Other then that - what a crappy week!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@Jazzer94 Because they aren't supporting the GBA right now. Plus its more about releasing an existing NES game, not giving us the best version of Mario Bros.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I hope that Mario Bros comes to USA this week. I haven't played this game since I played that one Arcade machine that had DK, DKJ, and MB in one. I refuse to buy Virtual Console games on the Wii U until I only need to pay once to play it on both systems. I believe that it has been one of the first NES, Wii VC, and Wii U VC games in the library! By the way, I need some Mario NES until SMB3 comes here!

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

Oh, for anyone complaining that NA gets the better line up, we'll give you any Eshop games you want that isn't published by Wayfoward or Nintendo, and you give us SMB3 and Mario Bros. I don't even care about Chibi-Robots or Dr. Luigi, Dr. Mario is one of my favorite NES titles and it's good enough since I have a physical copy with a working NES.

You could also take the Wii U VC software, they're useless to me until Nintendo allows us to buy it once, and tie it to our Nintendo Network ID. Seriously, if we're allowed to tie an account to only one Wii U and only one 3DS, then shouldn't it make sense to make this a thing??

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

When I read "Mario's Début" in the article's tagline, I instantly thought, "Donkey Kong again?". Boy, was I wrong! :D

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I don't think I did. You want a GBA game when they're not supporting the GBA. So thats no good. Nintendo are slowly releasing their own catalog of NES games, that includes dated games like this. The Wii had it, Japan's had it so we're going to get it. I don't agree it shouldn't be released, only that its way too expensive for what it is.

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Just nothing this week. Thankfully at least next week we get Dr. Luigi.

Still no Kid Icarus: Uprising in European eShop even though the product page does exist in the shop...

I hope Nintendo of Europe releases Chibi Robo soon also in Europe, now that would really be a disappointment if they keep that out of Europe.