Nintendo Download: 12th September (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Dungeons & dragons, classic Mario, Toki Tori 2 with a + and more

It's Monday, which means Nintendo Download news for Europe. This week brings a modest number of titles, though they do include a long awaited Wii U download from Capcom, classic Mario, a major Toki Tori 2 update and the download arrival of the blue blur's most recent adventure on 3DS. Check out all of the details below.

Wii U eShop

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Capcom, €14.99 / £11.99) — After a fairly lengthy delay due to issues with the submission process, this reworked release of two arcade classics finally comes to the Wii U. This should provide some classic beat 'em up action, with drop-in and drop-out online co-op, the ability to shake up the experience with House Rules, challenges, unlockables, online leaderboards and use of the GamePad's touch screen. We can only hope that the delays have been used to optimise the experience for the best results; our review will be with you very soon.

Wii U Virtual Console

Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — This wasn't Mario's first appearance in gaming, but it was the title that propelled the mascot and 2D platforming to a whole new level. This original may stop you from running left and have some other quirks, but it's still very much worth playing, as our Super Mario Bros. 3DS eShop review explains. This is the US (60Hz) version of the game.

Wii U Update and Price Promotion

Toki Tori 2+ (Two Tribes, €8.99 / £7.79 until 19th September, normally €14.99 / £12.99) — This title will have a substantial update (free to current owners) that brings the Wii U version more in line with that released on the PC, with the developer aiming to address feedback from the launch day build. We'll bring you hands-on impressions of the update on 12th September, while those that buy the game from that date will receive the + version by default.

3DS eShop

Secrets of the Titanic (Avanquest, €10.99 / £9.99) — Sailing onto the store a little late to truly capitalise on the 100 year anniversary of the Titanic's tragic sinking, this is a hidden-object puzzle-adventure game, not unlike previous entries based on the doomed vessel. We'll get our brains and spotting skills up to scratch to bring you a review.

3DS Retail Download

Sonic Generations (SEGA, €24.99 / £19.99)

There you have it, so let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (207 votes)

Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara (Wii U eShop)

14%

Super Mario Bros. (Wii U Virtual Console)

15%

Toki Tori 2+ (Wii U update and price reduction)

16%

Secrets of the Titanic 1912-2012 (3DS eShop)

Sonic Generations (3DS retail download)

Nothing for me this week

49%

Please login to vote in this poll.

MathRaph

MathRaph said:

Was waiting for a discount on toki tori, so almost half price and a big update? No brainer for me!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Awesome! I've been wanting to play Toki Tori 2 again & now I have a great reason to :) Will look forward to the review of D&D too.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Toki is tempting, but I did just make my first eshop retail purchase in Rayman Origins so I don't think I can justify it right now.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Another sad week for 3DS owners.

Is that hard to release ONE vc game each week? The Nintendo way...

Metalslime

Metalslime said:

Is it so hard to plan ahead so there is at least one 3DS VC release each week? Nintendo are actually idiots, I'm not asking for gba or snes games, I understand that they would eat away at sales of older VC titles and even new eshop releases atm but I just want at least a single game for the systems the VC is currently supporting GAH!!

DavidHolliss

DavidHolliss said:

Confused here, will people who have already purchased Toki Tori 2 get the update for free or is the "Plus" version totally separate and a new purchase required? Thanks,

antonvaltaz

antonvaltaz said:

Oooh, want all of the Wii U items, but am currently saving up for a 3DS so nothing from me for a while...

MeWario

MeWario said:

Nothing at all. Bummer! Wake me when they realise Mario Bros Deluxe GBC then we will talk!

NoPLo

NoPLo said:

What about that Epic Mickey Power of Illusion permanent discount announced last week? I was about to buy it and it was still 45€...

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Nothing for me this week. Super Mario Bros. isn't worth playing, and I'm not that interested in Dungeons and Dragons, but £19.99 is a decent price for Sonic Generations for anyone yet to get it. Why can't Nintendo release GBA, N64 or Gamecube games instead of all this NES crap?

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

I might get Mystara. And the Toki Tori 2 update I guess, even thought I feel pretty done with the game (which was great, btw).

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

Actually, after looking into D & D a bit more, it reminds of Golden Axe, which I enjoyed. Consider my curiosity piqued.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

How can anyone not want to download SMB? I feel sorry for EVERYONE who does not look at that game and feel a sense of nostalgic genius emanating from the simplicity of it. Any newcomers must try that game! It is where Nintendo became what it is today! In case you can't tell, I love it!

Marshi

Marshi said:

@LavaTwilight The people who dont want to download smb are probably the same people who downloaded it for the 3ds...and the wii...and bought it for the snes...and nes...and played it to absolute death in the arcades. So I see their point.

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

@Marshi
I've played it on the NES, SNES and Wii, and whenever I have 15minutes spare now I'll pick it up and play it through, sometimes using the warp-pipes, sometimes not. I've played it literally HUNDREDs of times and although having it on the Wii I'll be purchasing it for the WiiU. Then again, I haven't got it for the 3DS yet so maybe that's why I'm not sick of it yet?

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I have SMB for NES, SNES (all-stars version), Wii (all-stars version), 3DS (NES version). That's enough for me.
I shall be playing something from my backlog instead.

Marshi

Marshi said:

@LavaTwilight im not telling you to be sick of the game mate. Its great that you enjoy a game that much. I personally have bought super mario world 4 times in my life,but I love that game. Im just saying most people wont share the view to repurchase something they already have on a diferent system

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Ok if Toki Toris price falls below 9$ (what I have on my Wii Us wallet) on the U.S., I will rush towards it.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Still no SEGA 3D classics, ages since I bought anything on the e-shop. I pretty much just get get things on PSN these days, they have really good sales on there (got King of Fighters XIII for £5.99 at the weekend), and an account system makes it a better option for me.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I'm getting so bored with NES games. We get it, Nintendo. They exist. Like, there's no break from getting them on the 3DS to the Wii U. Totally boring.

FineLerv

FineLerv said:

Fantastic week! Holy wow! Toki Tori 2 is one of the best Indie games on the Wii U so this will give me an excuse to play it again. Plus, my copy of Mario will get update. And finally, my favourite Arcade game of all time finally comes to my preferred system!

rjejr

rjejr said:

@ThomasBW84 - I know the US get's its own post but can you please spill the beans on Toki Tori 2+ for the US? I've been waiting for the update before we buy it, and if it's at a discount that's even better. Actually I've been waiting for the editor, not the +. Does + include the editor? Do we have to wait until the review Thursday to find all this out? The suspense is killing me :-)

Cohort

Cohort said:

I will update SMB from VC to eshop, also Toki Tori 2 looks like a good deal. I like these discounts as so far I've picked up Nano Assault and Trine 2 for a song. Happy Days! :)

Does anyone know if D&D has had all the bugs fixed?

tchaten

tchaten said:

Woohoo Super Mario Bros. on the Wii U!!! - Super Mario. Bros 3 is due out in a month or two - finally the whole quadrilogy of games on the Wii U - so awesome

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

@RainbowGazelle SMB isn't worth playing?! Really? Wow. That's harsh. It's kind of a genre-defining classic. I respect you don't like it, but that doesn't mean it's not worth a go.

Slayer

Slayer said:

SMB is totally worth playing. Enjoy, Europe, when I finally get a 3DS XL I can join in on Nintendo Download excitement.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

I'll possibly get D&D, and I'll also get the Toki Tori 2 update as well as I bought the game back at launch.

Don't think it's such a bad week in the grand scheme of things.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

Mario Bros & Toki Toki + since its on discount and havn't brought it yet. Still got to get Ducktales aswell.
After buying Toki Toki will have enough Premium reward points to earn £5 so thats something.

123akis

123akis said:

WHERE is flipnote studio 3d!!! Nintendo please dont make the launch delayed like Fire emblem awakening and Nintendo TVii in europe!

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

D&D is a must buy, easily two of the best, if not THE best arcade beat em ups ever. And it took them that long to release SMB again ? :D I never really noticed that it was still missing. Its Nintendos answer to "Doom runs on everything"

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@RainbowGazelle All this NES crap ? I dont know about you but the NES has FAR more really good games than the N64 for instance, which doesnt mean that the N64s library is bad, no way. But SMB is still one of the best platformers you can get for that money.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@Bali We asked about Flipnote 3D last week, but had the same stock "no news yet" statement that was issued when it was initially delayed :(

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Wonder if the light 3DS load lends itself to a potential surprise 3DS focused Nintendo Direct with lots of updates... Just stirring the pot a little! :)

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

The D&D games are great if you haven't played them. Drop in play is a really nice feature too which matches the arcade yet for the 21st century. I've played the games a lot so not for me but still good.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Why is there always a litany of "awful week" comments on the weekly download update posts? It's a a slow drip of titles, what exactly are people expecting?

Weedy

Weedy said:

@SkywardCrowbar
It's a fair point, I prefer to be drip feed. Last week I got EOIV and now Im too busy with it to even think about anything else!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Hopefully this Toki Tori 2 update also comes to the US this week. I started this game last week, yet I bought it a long time ago and left it there.

RainbowGazelle

RainbowGazelle said:

@Einherjar I personally found it too hard and boring, but I suppose calling it crap is a bit harsh. I just don't get why it receives so much praise. I suppose, for the time it was great, but I wouldn't regard it as one of the best games ever made.
@Cohort Yeah, I've just about managed that. XD
@sleepinglion What I really meant was that Nintendo seem to be releasing the same stuff over and over again. I just want a bit of variety.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@RainbowGazelle Are you talking about D&D or SMB ? In both cases, i was talking about them beeing on top of their respective genre, so "hard and repetetive" would be genre defining tropes for arcade beat em ups ;) These games were made to make you go bankrupt in the arcades. They are hard so that you spend money on extra continues. In case of SMB, i wouldnt call it neither hard nor boring. It is a bit bland when compared to future platformers, but for its time, it was a force to be reckoned with and really stood the test of time in that it is perfectly playable even to this day.
But either way, its a matter of opinion. I also find certain games / genres boring and bland that get praised to heaven by many other people ;)

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

What NES stuff is left that is the best version. (i.e not better on PC Engine)
or an inferior arcade port.

Crisis Force / RECCA / DuckTales (I&II) / Megaman (All of them) / Castlevania III / Super Mario Bros / Super Mario Bros - Lost Levels / Super Mario Bros 3 / Zelda 2 / Crystalis / Zanac / Gargoyles Quest 2

(GBC Crystalis is better but it is a NES game and I think I would get either version).

Think Master System - Power Strike 2 is better than any NES game.