Jools Watsham Offers to Help Create a 3DS Version of Mighty No. 9

Posted by Martin Watts

...And the response sounds rather promising

A few days ago comcept USA announced a Kickstarter project for Mighty No. 9 — a spiritual successor to Capcom's Mega Man series — and it has been receiving a lot of attention from funders, press and even other development studios since then it would seem.

The project has already reached its minimum $900,000 goal, despite only going live on Sunday. If the comcept USA team reaches its stretch goal of $2,500,000, it will also develop Wii U, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions. The Kickstarter page doesn't make any reference to a 3DS version, however, it could very well now be a possibility thanks to Jools Watsham of Renegade Kid. He reached out to the comcept USA team on Twitter earlier this evening, offering to help create a 3DS version of the game. The response that Watsham got back sounded rather promising:

With 29 days left and over $1,000,000 already in the bank, it's looking very good for Mighty No. 9, which could quite feasibly reach its upper stretch goal during that time.

Would you like to see a 3DS version of Mighty No. 9 co-developed by Renegade Kid? Leave a comment to share your thoughts on a potential portable version.

[via twitter.com]

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

Heck yeah!
It would be even cooler if there was some sort of interconnectivity between the Wii U and 3DS versions!
MAKE IT! You won't regret it!

Emblem

Emblem said:

I would love a 3DS version also, very cool of Jools to reach out.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'll be getting the Wii U version, even though I'd love to get the PC version as well. I'll also get the 3DS version. Would be nice if each version had its own exclusive optional boss and power.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It is hard to see such teamwork within the industry, at least in that voluntary level. It would be awesome to have a portable version of this as well.

GuSilverFlame

GuSilverFlame said:

I want to play the new blue bomber on my 3DS(and I hope it makes Capcom strike back by making Megaman games once again, this way it'll be Megaman times 2 :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D)

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Me want! The PC ver might require good requirements which boths of my PC might not be able to play the game :<

So a 3DS version will be nice :3

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Heh, Heh. When was the last time a kickstarter was most talked out. Especially of this magnitude? Yes, I support a 3ds version of this game.

Meaty-cheeky

Meaty-cheeky said:

This is great news, I would really like to have a 3DS version of this game.

I want Mighty Number 9 on these platforms
1. Nintendo 3DS
2. Wii U
3. PC / Steam

GuSilverFlame

GuSilverFlame said:

@Philip_J_Reed I guess you're talking about those Wii versions for multiplatform games? yes, you're right.... I had completely forgotten about those....it brought some bad times I wanted to forget....

I-U

I-U said:

After Mutant Mudds and Bomb Monkey, I'm willing to get into any project Renegade Kid wants to do on the eShop.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Yes, I would like a 3DS version. Renegade Kid is a good choice, but there's also WayForward to consider.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Given my stance expressed in an earlier article regarding a portable Bayonetta:
PORTABLE! EICH, EEE, SEE, KAY YEAH!
Bottom-line: if I have to consider a title, well, make it portable.

Sonic128

Sonic128 said:

I hope we get a Nintendo 3DS version, then i would buy that along with the Wii U version (if we get that too)

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

@aj_fowl Well, im guessing it could, but badly.
Actually, im using a laptop, and this one sucks big time :<
So on my experience and looking at the screenies, it maybe wont run smooth.
(has a 3.5 windows rating lol)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I know this is a Sony thing but can we also get a version of Might No. 9 for PS Vita too? I got Mega Man Power-Up and Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X for PSP and I deeply want a Mega Man style game for my Vita as well.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I wonder how much Renegade Kid could actually do - they certainly know their stuff, but I'm not sure if they could actually handle it. From what I've seen on the Kickstarter page, this looks like it'll be a really big game, and simply switching to 3DS wouldn't work; they'd have to redo half of the game's graphics, not to mention all those other tweaks to make it work on 3DS.

If they get pass from comcept, I'll look forward to it - but not without a bit of concern.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Heck, I'd probably get both versions if only just to support Inafune and Watsham!

This whole Mighty No. 9 thing is looking more and more promising by the day.

PokemonManiac

PokemonManiac said:

If mighty no.9 becomes a huge success(which seems very likely) I see two reactions from capcom. 1. They see competition for mega man and try to make a surperior game 2. They see no need to make another mega man game because the fans will be happy with this. That is if they're not stupid and sue.

FilmerNgameR

FilmerNgameR said:

I've always wanted to try out a Mega Man game but I've never gotten the chance so, this Mighty no. 9 game will be a must have for me especially the 3DS version. :D

alrighthearthis

alrighthearthis said:

I don't mind this idea but I have a feeling it would ultimately result in a watered down port along the lines of Rayman Origins 3DS.

blinkpunk02

blinkpunk02 said:

Either 3DS or Vita please. I'd buy it for both just to support this. Game looks awesome and I think the new gameplay aspects are refreshing. Stoked.

ThetaRobo

ThetaRobo said:

Sounds like somebody wants a slice of Inafune's million-dollar pie.

But if it nets us a good 3DS port, then that's okay.

Shambo

Shambo said:

YES PLEASE! I have absolute faith in this, and with any connectivity between the two Nintendo versions, I'll gladly get both.
If this happens, it will be great for both companies, and for gamers.

MrPockets

MrPockets said:

:D :D :D Yes! This game shall be so awesome!
But, it's kind of crazy-- as of right now, the average backer backed $57.95. That's a lot.

Senario

Senario said:

I feel that Mighty No. 9 would feel better as a 3DS title, that may just be me but either way looking forward to if this game gets made.

Keep

Keep said:

I hope it really finds it way to the 3DS.. Going to have this asap
Megaman fan here obv :)

RR529

RR529 said:

I'd trust WayForward or Nicalis more in terms of putting out a higher quality port (although it'd probably take forever, if the latter got the job), simply because they both have a longer history of working on platformers, and have both put out higher quality platformers than the one RK has given us so far, but if RK is our only chance of a 3DS version, I'll take it.

mandemote

mandemote said:

im pretty sure this kickstarter has broken records over 1million dollars in 3 days we may hit 2,500,000 in a week :)
also this game looks like it would be sutible for 3ds as well as other consoles!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

This is fantastic news. Hopefully when they see the attention this is getting, Capcom will get it through their thick skulls that yes, the public does in fact want Megaman games! Desperately!

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Not sure I would choose the 3DS version when a Wii U version is available. Not too fond of Renegade Kid either.

Nintendo really need to link the Wii U and 3DS eShop.

siconlol

siconlol said:

Why do so many people doubt renegade kid? I feel they could handle A PORT I mean cmon what's the worst that can happen?

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i'd certainly be willing to give a port of this a shot. my only reason for currently not being interested in Mn9 is because it's not coming to a console I own. :3

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@siconlolz He could trade 60fps for 30fps and 3D and make it not worth playing for me. Whether he will or not is unknown. (I don't like any Renegade Kid games I have played so far. Cannot imagine he made less for Mutant Mudds than NG.DEV Team made for Dreamcast/Neo Geo Gunlord - similar small teams Gunlord is lightyears better in terms of quality. I got both at a similar time.)

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

While I'm loving where the funding is going and do so much dearly want it on WiiU a I'm not a fan of console style gaming on a PC (they're more suited to me with some genres over others) I'd rather by far have such a title on the 3DS or at least the option. I find with a 2 year old and weird free time it far easier committing to a game like DKC Returns 3D for instance on there over the Wii, same with Mario titles, and so on. I still can make time, did for NSMBU, but it would have been easier pocket style.