Mario Kart Arcade GP DX Racing to Arcades

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Like Mario Kart 7 on steroids, and probably not as good

While talking about the Mario Kart franchise, we think the majority of people focus on those games published by Nintendo for its systems, but any discussion will have at least one person say "ah, but what about the arcades?" Typically they're not counted as part of the series, as they're developed by Namco and have a different feel to the home console and portable iterations. Whether they count or not is irrelevant, though, as they're still there.

Over on NeoGaf a user has posted a link to a trailer for the latest Mario Kart arcade cabinet set to invade Japanese amusement arcades and, maybe, one or two in the West. Mario Kart Arcade GP DX includes the gliding and underwater mechanics from Mario Kart 7, as well as a co-op team feature — a bit like Double Dash!! — where one player drives and the other aims a turret to fire shells; it'll also do the usual fun stuff such as snap your picture for the race.

Having got our hands on Mario Kart 8 at multiple events, we're pretty confident that's still the karting game to be excited about, especially as opinions of the preceding Mario Kart arcades are mixed at best. But still, check out the trailer below and let us know what you think.

[via neogaf.com]

Related Games

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Looks pretty cool. Nintendo should make this available on the WiiU eShop, I'd definitely pick it up.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Sounds good!
I played the last Mario Kart arcade and really enjoyed it somre is always welcome.

yoshisaredragon

yoshisaredragon said:

@Zeldalover
pac man was in the original mario kart arcade, and its not like he is the most recognizable and known video game character of all time, how dare they not choose koopa over pac man

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I recognise the word "gattai" from researching Super Sentai. It refers to two karts combining, correct?

tudsworth

tudsworth said:

@Tobias95 One of the previous Mario Kart Arcade GP games featured Mametchi, the mascot of the most recent line of Tamagotchis. I think Pac-Man has featured in every MK Arcade GP game to date, too, so there's always been at least one guest racer in the series.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Would still like to get to play this sometime. As well as the previous Mario kart arcade games. Never did see the light of day near me...

Yoshis_VGM

Yoshis_VGM said:

Definitely way more hyped for Mario Kart 8 but if this was released on the eShop as well to set me off until MK8 arrives, it would be much appreciated, even if the upcoming game is much superior.

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

I enjoyed the 1st Arcade Mario Kart, I still have my memory card thing for it. It was fun and enjoyable. I would take out a loan for one for my games room, but I can't seem to find them at all. D:

Nevertheless, if this one comes to Australia, I'll play it. It seems fun. Anyone else think they should hide this in MK8, like F-Zero AX in GX?

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

Looks good, but I'll never ever be able to play it. Arcades are dead in my country, let alone Nintendo arcades...
Wii U should get the Virtual Console Arcade section, and this time also with more recent arcade games, not twenty year old arcades. I want at least the previous Mario Kart Arcade GP and F-Zero AX.

MussakkuLaden

MussakkuLaden said:

Played the first Arcade MK only once on a ferry across the Channel, then never saw it again anyway. Was okay, but not amazing. However, this one looks pretty great, I've got to say. And much more fun than MK7, which is one of the most boring entries in the series, in my opinion. But then again, I didn't play that a lot either.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Move along people, nothing to see here.
Just another game we won't see here in the US, or everywhere outside of japan.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Took my kids to Chuck E Cheese for lunch on Monday and sat next to the Mario Kart GP dual racing cabinet. The game looked like fun, but the graphics didn't look as good as MK8. We didn't bother playing it.

For anybody is the US looking for this game I suggest CEC. And it's only 25c per game. Pizza is overpriced and crap though.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Mario Kart 8 makes this new Mario Kart arcade game felt like last gen. Well at least it still got Pac-Man and a new watermelon mascot.

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I've played a Mario Kart GP with my brother before. When we saw it we had to try it. It was fun, but not as fun as the console games, in my opinion. (Although I loved the camera!) It would be cool to see this come to America, though, and I don't think we should all just assume it will never come to America.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Dyltheman Very interesting question. I would like to know the hardware Nintendo and Namco built for this. Last time they used the Triforce arcade board and publicly disclosed it, but this must be more advanced hardware (the Triforce is just the GameCube hardware with few improvements) Perhaps something similar to Wii U.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I don't see the point in wasting time making a Mario kart game that only Japan would get to play and probably most of them wouldn't play much either.

DashDG

DashDG said:

MK7 is the worst in the series... THIS arcade version looks superior by far!!!

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Doesn't look that good at all. Character design is bad. They look as if they're taking a Sunday stroll.

I'll stick to MK7 which isn't the worst at all.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

Mario Kart with a steering wheel and pedals was more annoying for me than anything..

Rafie

Rafie said:

I would love if they released this. Some of you are being a bit too critical of it. The game came out years ago and had great graphics then. Of course Mario Kart 7 is more innovative and better looking. It came out 4 years later.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

Last weekend, the family and I went to Chuck E Cheese for the first time. We played the Mario Kart Arcade they had there and it was a blast! It seemed very similar to this version, because there were flying parts to it, etc. It seemed like a Mario Kart 7-style of arcade. It had the ability to play as Pacman, the ghosts, etc which was cool. It felt a lot like standard Mario Kart for sure. It took your picture and displayed it in-game. Sucks it was an hour drive, because I wouldn't mind playing it again.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

The only mario kart I never played were the arcade series. They need to have the arcade series on one disc and release it on the Wii U. Why couldn't nintendo do that? I think people should start making a petition for a console port release.

gblock

gblock said:

any truth to the rumor that they are actually doing a localized cabinet this time?

mozie

mozie said:

Wonder what hardware this is running on, have a triforce running the originals on naomi universal cab, wouldent mind giving this a go, thankfully no annoying announcer in this one :)

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

@ThomasBW84

It's okay, we are just approaching this news from different arenas I think.
As in: Mario Kart is a great franchise and I applaud another entry... it seems premature to attach a highly subjective qualifier to it.
But I will keep my high hopes and if they are (Mario Kart) Dash!!'ed you can say I told you so. :P

drumsandperc92

drumsandperc92 said:

i never knew there were mario kart arcade games. this game is clearly in HD, so i wonder how long MK has been in HD in the arcades, or if they only upgraded now because Nintendo finally went HD with Wii U?? it would've been sort of ironic to have an HD Mario Kart in the arcades during the past 7 years while Wii was still SD...

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

The Mario Kart Arcade games are loads better than the home console ones.

(The 3DS and Wii versions of Mario Kart were a total waste of time any game where the best player doesn't win is pointless. The rubberbanding just spoils it completely).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@ThomasBW84 The last two Namco Arcade Mario Karts are the only recent ones worth playing. If it means there is a Wii U based arcade board that is even better.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@drumsandperc92 Both the last two were based on Gamecube hardware. (Had them in Namco Station in London near the London eye. Only one other modern arcade I know of in London but I didn't know about it then. Casino on Tottenham Court Road (That one has loads of imports)). Dunno about other countries other than Japan still has loads (And Sega in Japan is still making ace arcade games).

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

It's awesome, but I can't even afford to care - it never left Japan, and honestly, being a Namco game doesn't help when it comes to games making it to the west.

Edlicious

Edlicious said:

I dont recall Mario Kart 7 sucking? I agree it wasnt the best but it sure as hell wasn't bad by any standards. And also I think the game looks pretty good, maybe the controls suck but the graphics look nice and the gameplay looks good too.

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

I thought that thing was a stage light at first.

But it's a drum. Makes all the sense! :D

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@AlexSora89 You can quite often play them in Namco Station (Used to be SEGA World) in London just next to the London eye. I played the last 2 of these games there.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Lol: The drum from Namco is in!

Looks pretty nice! Dumb all the Mariokart arcade games on 1 disc and bring it to Wii u!!