Lots of Sonic Lost World Wii U and 3DS Footage Dashes Into View

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Grab some snacks

Sonic Lost World will be exclusive to Wii U and 3DS, with both games being unique; Dimps will be producing the handheld's version. We've had an official trailer to date that gave glimpses of the Wii U title, including some snazzy new Sonic moves, but naturally we want to see more.

IGN has had an exclusive early look at both versions and has posted a lot of footage for everyone to enjoy. Below is a fair amount of video covering both 3D and 2D levels on each platform, showing us much more of the sphere-like level design that's drawn some comparisons with the Mario Galaxy titles. While the Wii U iteration predictably looks very slick and smooth, we're rather impressed with the 3DS demo too, which seems to have clean visuals and solid gameplay.

It's far too early to declare that these could be examples of Sonic in good form, but the signs are positive. Grab a comfy seat and check out the footage below.

Wii U footage

3DS footage

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Sonic Heroes instrumental theme song as the invincibility/speed sneaker music? SWEET!

AMR

AMR said:

Both versions look amazing, best looking Sonic in ages! Can't wait :)

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Both versions look very amazing, hopefully I'll buy this for the 3DS someday.

Dak908

Dak908 said:

Both look really good, Wii U for home use and 3DS for on the go for me

baba_944

baba_944 said:

Buying me the 3DS version. I'm way too poor for a Wii U. Even a basic set.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Gosh durn, the lack of Flash Adobe Player on my kindle fire is really startin' to get annoying. The trailers are here, but I can't watch them! :(

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Hold a button to run, it certainly looks like a new approach and somewhat like the Sonic X-treme concept, the idea of a 'walk' speed for better precision platforming does sound like a good addition.. The '2D' 3DS level looks a bit weird to me, I wonder what the final balance between stage types will be. As its Sonic, I'll most likely buy the game (on 3DS, don’t have a Wii U) from nostalgia anyway!

Zup

Zup said:

Probably will only get the wii u version.

Anyone notice how the clock in the 3DS version runs fast? It ended around 5:33 and the video is only 5:03 long.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

This game is looking incredible. I know that most Sonic games have some minor flaws but this looks genuinely fun to play. I can't wait to get my hands on this game.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Both those versions look great! I'm getting the Wii U version without a doubt, but I may consider the 3DS one as well. The 3D might be amazing on that.

WispMetas

WispMetas said:

I have to get my hands on that 3DS version - Cant wait to play Sonic in full 3D on my 3DS :D
If i ever buy a Wii U i will have to get both versions, both look amazing :D

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

These new abilities are ones that he should've have a long time ago. Nonetheless its more than welcome to see them finally put to work. Its good to see SEGA doing right by Sonic again, insinuating that these games get high ratings from all around

Portista

Portista said:

Both look great! If both versions have different levels, then it would be like getting two different games! So glad to have a good sonic back!

Phantom_R

Phantom_R said:

Dare I say this Sonic game looks great? My only quip would be that those jump clouds and the area-changing springs bring the game's momentum to a halt, and the enemies are still jokes.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

The 3DS version is very impressive. No lag or slowdowns whatsoever. :O I might end up buying both version with enough money, if not, I'll get the 3DS one.

hydeks

hydeks said:

This game looks absolutely amazing! I can't wait to own a Wii U for this game, let alone other games that are coming! My question: is the 3DS and Wii U versions different at all?? They look very similar, but the Wii U version looks bigger. I'll be definitely buying this for both 3DS and Wii U :)

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

So pumped for both. Hopefully, Dimps doesn't water down this version to much. We better get demos for both these games soon!!

Funny_Moblin

Funny_Moblin said:

Considering Sonic Lost World will be coming soon, is it still worth it for me to buy Sonic Colours? I can't believe I missed out on that good of a game.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Wait, did that video show color powers (I can't get Flash Adobe Player to work on my kindle fire)? I want the Wii U version, even though I didn't watch the video, it'll be easier for me and my family to play it and it will be in HD. :)

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

The 3DS version looks amazing.
Very crisp, nice draw distance, fast and quite vibrant.
Still going with the Wii U version exclusively, but I'm glad Sega's pushing the 3DS with this high profile platformer (or is it speedformer? Sonic humor, bazing!)

NodesforNoids

NodesforNoids said:

No wonder Sega's 3D rep was forged in racing games! The sense of speed they manage to create is astounding and the levels being so narrow seems to promise a great challenge for all types of players.
Sonic, at his roots, is still one of the best ever.
Sonic with attitude, showing his skills and burning up these courses tells me Sega's blue blur is going to be sticking around for quite a while yet!

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Wii U version looks amazing! Also, as has been said here, it looks like it's taken a fair amount of influence from Super Mario Galaxy.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

Wow, I was extremely skeptical after seeing the reveal trailer, but now I'm convinced it will be awesome, especially the 3DS version. :*

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Smart new additions on display here! And it doesn't even bother me that it looks so similar to Super Mario Galaxy since they had already tried out this kind of gameplay with the cancelled Sonic Xtreme.

I know I'll like the Wii U version, but I refuse to trust the 3DS version based solely on that trailer. The handheld versions of Sega's games have all played like an afterthought lately.

ToneDeath

ToneDeath said:

This is now the first Sonic game to have me looking forward to playing it since Sonic & Knuckles on the Mega Drive.
Also, is anybody else predicting that some of these playable E3 demos will appear on the eShop during the Nintendo Direct streams?

tertium_quid

tertium_quid said:

@Varia01 I love my Nook HD!
I actually really like how this game looks, and I'm not a huge fan of Sonic. Although I can't get over the fact that this looks like Super Sonic Galaxy.

jarvisQC

jarvisQC said:

I am sure , the version of wii u is gonna be really great, but the one of 3DS, like sonic generations, is gonna be bad

Varia01

Varia01 said:

I finally managed to watch this. I only watched the Wii U version so far. This game looks... FAR MORE THAN BEYOND LEGENDARY!!!! :D That gameplay, it's just amazing. It's really neat how each and every level is going to be unique. I REALLY can't wait for this! ;)

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

It feels from these videos that I will be getting the Wii U version of this. As great as the gameplay from the Mario Galaxy games was, I always thought that it was hard for copycats to reproduce, unless they actually put some effort.

And it definitely seems that Sega is putting that effort. The stages look similar but since Sonic is more focused on speed, then it is going to play different. Great that you can also move slowly since that will make the camera movements much more manageable.

Joe1113

Joe1113 said:

It almost makes me think that they're doing mario galaxy/ mario land 3d for sonic lost world. The wii u version seems similar to super mario galaxy and the 3ds version seems similar to super mario 3d land. Anybody else notice this?

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Looks pretty darn sweet, but i expected more if im being completely honest....

hydeks

hydeks said:

@ToneDeath maybe not during E3 because they have a deal with Best Buy, but I could easily see it happening shortly after. Can't wait to get my hands on that Sonic demo :)

hydeks

hydeks said:

@ferthepoet that's Sonic's homing attack, it just assures you that your hitting that enemy. In recent Sonic games, you jump, and you press a certain button and it does the attack, alot easier than they made it look in the video (they certainly made it alot smoother looking in this game, as well).

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Slower, pricision platforming, including a better ability to backtrack in 3D? Return of the Spin Dash? Mostly over-the-shoulder perspective despite the style similarities to Super Mario Galaxy? Two player coop? Tons of retro Sonic references? The ability to aim the laser wisp accurately with the GamePad? YES! YES! YES! They're actually doing everything I could've hoped for! Just make sure there's less gimmicky level design and better boss fights than in Sonic Colors, as well as a decent job on the competitive multiplayer mode, and this could be the best console Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2: Battle!

Souflee

Souflee said:

@beat :) wasn't kid icarus just the best, still feel like millions of 3DS users are missing out on some of the best content out there for the system, critics made everyone think the game is uncontrollable or something,

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

FINALLY, Sonic done right! :p I'm really looking forward to the Wii U version. Thanks Nintendo for whipping this speedy blue hedgehog back into shape and showing everybody how it should be done.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

Great the best sonic game since sa2 will be made by Nintendo(partly) I will buy the 3ds version regardless

Nintendo4Lyfe

Nintendo4Lyfe said:

This is a definite MUST for all Sonic fans and the Wii U version looks incredibly fantastic! I simply cannot wait to buy Sonic: Lost World

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I am pretty impressed with the 3D version. Looks like Dimps nailed it this time. That is, if the length is decent - Sonic Generations for 3DS was too short.

Varia01

Varia01 said:

Something just hit me: Do you know when games look so awesome, but then again you worry that those games may fail? I am having that feeling right now... :O I SO hope this game doesn't fail; it looks very awesome.

beat

beat said:

@Souflee i got ya soulflee. that game is fun, humorous and awesome! epic in almost every way possible . :D and i got used to the controls after like.. 1 hour of play.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

Sonic meets Super Mario Galaxy as a Nintendo exclusive. BRILLIANT! Way to pay homage to Super Mario Galaxy and bring something new to the Sonic world. As a Nintendo exclusive, Sega can maximize the strengths of the Wii U and 3DS platforms without the consideration of dumbing it down to make it a port for other systems and because if this both games look AMAZING! Way to go Sega! I don't have a Wii U so I will definitely be picking up the 3DS version. Funny thing is that this news makes me what to pick up other Sonic games I've missed so I will be tracking down Sonic Generations as well as Sonic Colors :)

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

@Varia01 I wouldn't worry about it. Sonic Team has been on a hot streak and this looks like their best game so far. Plus with Nintendo publishing and pushing Sonic Team to be their best that just bodes even better for this game.

The music is great, too. :D

RADencker

RADencker said:

This game is looking really nice! Given how close some of the elements look too Super Mario Galaxy-series, How big a trip would it be if Mario "popped" up in the game for a little cameo.

Mauhiho

Mauhiho said:

This game doesn't look too great to be honest. Bland, boring, cartoony.. Jep, everythings there to make it a ''O.K'' game but nothing more.

3Daniel

3Daniel said:

@DannyGamer2027 i have a suspicion its built on a modified smg engine. The graphics are very similar and the physics seem the same. However that would be awesome.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Clearly this is "super sonic galaxy" and i love the look.The wiiu version could be the years best wiiu game.Getting very excited for this game,just hope my excitement isnt destroyed when the game is released like some sonic games have been in tne past(looking at you sonic '06!)

jedisquidward

jedisquidward said:

You know, I now firmly believe that Sonic Team has become an extraordinary team of developers. They have easily made up for their missteps, they are brave enough to incorporate new ideas while still maintaining a huge amount of respect for the old days. And the best part is, they are listening to their fans. When I heard in the Wii U video that Sonic's spped was slowed down because players were unable to focus, I was extremely happy, not because of the decrease of speed, but for Sonic Team acknowledging their mistakes and trying to make up for them.