Capcom Teases More Mega Virtual Console Releases

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

You got a new re-make, Virtual Console Nostalgia!

Capcom loves Mega Man. It does, really, giving the Blue Bomber excessive Anniversary merchandise and official soundtrack releases to satisfy plenty of monied collectors. The company doesn't love the character enough to develop a new game, it seems, but those are the breaks.

What Capcom's also doing is throwing retro Mega Man titles, with great enthusiasm, at Nintendo gamers. The Wii Virtual Console has a sizable collection, but in recent months the Wii U and, in particular, the 3DS, have been catching up on the "classic" NES series and, if you're lucky enough to live in North America, Mega Man X. You want Mega Man? Here, have all the retro games you can handle.

We can only imagine that these releases are selling well, again, as Capcom blogger Brelston has taken to Capcom Unity to plug merchandise, but also to tease more titles from the franchise coming the Virtual Console services.

Hope to have additional news regarding classic MM games hitting the Virtual Console soon. We're on a roll with the 3DS and Wii U lineup, and I have a feeling there's more on the way...

There are certainly plenty of titles yet to get the VC treatment, believe it or not, such as various Game Boy games, Mega Man 7, two more X titles — Mega Man X3 never made it to the Wii VC — and Game Boy Advance spin-offs; don't forget that GBA games are confirmed for the Wii U Virtual Console but not, bizarrely, the 3DS equivalent.

We suspect many will gobble up the VC releases until they run out. What then, Capcom?

[via gonintendo.com, themmnetwork.com, capcom-unity.com]

Deadstanley

Deadstanley said:

I've been a supporter to the Mega Man VC releases. The only ones I have yet to purchase are Mega Man 1 and 2. Largely because I have Mega Man Powered Up on my PSP and I've played Mega Man 2 to death.

I've never played X2 or X3, and want eagerly to do so.

Magrane

Magrane said:

Looking forward to the Game Boy games headed to the 3DS Virtual Console! They're long overdue! Well, parts II through V anyway.

And of course, Mega Man Soccer ;)

Ninjuggernaut

Ninjuggernaut said:

Oh Capcom how you tease us with VC releases, yet not bring us more games. Seriously after playing through MegamanX recently who else wishes they'd make a new entry a la Mega Man 9 and 10?

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

I've just started getting into the Mega Man series, really enjoying it on the GamePad. Would be nice to have Mega Man 9 and 10, should be easy to port too.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

A brand-new, HD, 2D side-scrolling Mega Man game based on the original NES series would be a dream come true. Think Donkey Kong Country into Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Beta

Beta said:

BATTLE NETWOOORK! 8D I would buy all 6 games in a heart beat! And the GameCube one, too!

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

I'd love to have all the classic and x games in one place on wiiU. X4-6 were released on GC so there's no reason they couldn't put those on VC too. Be nice to have the full zero series there too.

Course more than anything I'd really love new MM games.

Hordak

Hordak said:

If it was a core, sidescrolling Mega Man game and was ever on a Nintendo system, I will buy it on Wii U and 3DS. Every tweet I send from now on will have the hashtag #SNESon3DS. I encourage others to do the same.

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

Please bring 6, 7, and X3 to the Wii VC. I'm using that machine for a retro game collection on my old CRT TV, and the omission of X3 in particular is a bit of a downer. Go look up SNES cartridges on that for ebay!

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Would absolutely LOVE a new classic Mega Man done in HD like NSMB U or DK Country returns (like ricklongo above). And its gotta be Mega Man. Not X or 0 or Y or Z. Just PDQ, please!

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

Bring 7 to Wii U VC and I'll be a happy man. Oh, and bring 9 and 10 to the Wii U eShop too.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Maybe MegaMan 64 if they can port it to Wii U VC once N64 games are there? ;)

The more the merrier Capcom, keep em coming (And maybe finish the GB series while you're at it too. ;P)

SilverArrow

SilverArrow said:

I wish they can port X4-X6. I mean, on the Wii U Virtual Console, you can map buttons to different inputs. I miss X4 and X5, though. Then again, they could rip it directly from Megaman X Anniversary.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

There is loads of Megaman X games (I think it goes up to 8 or something).

Capcom are starting to behave like Ubisoft or EA doing the minimum possible all the time.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts still broken (But it was fixed on Playstation / Playstation 2 / Saturn).

The quality of their work is terrible. (SF4 3DS was pretty good but I dunno why it was so cheap I would have bought it anyway probably but I wouldn't have bought a 3DS prior to the Xl being released).

They could have done Megaman 2 with the sprites from Rockman X - The Wily Wars with no slowdown at all as a 3D classic.

One thing I cannot stand is flicker.
Slowdown regardless of whether it happened originally or not is not acceptable either.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I would rather have ultimate ghosts and goblins (Or that bionic commando game) don't think they will do it though as it would require some effort.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

Given how bad the PAL versions of the NES Mega Man games are, I was quite happy when I found out today that 1-4 are on the Wii U's Virtual Console. GET EQUIPPED WITH 60Hz!

I've waited forever to say that.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Kodeen I am somewhat trying to do that as well.

Thinking about sacking it off completely and just getting a small PC and using an arcade vga.

If I could get a CRT with component inputs in the UK it would be different.

I bought Ironclad thinking it was a standard 60hz import release. (I am using RGB scart with a pretty good CRT). It can be forced into 60hz but not without making the picture red. Even more annoying is the emulation is absolutely perfect.

(I have the metal slug anthology which is awful and the arcade classics vol 1 which is a bit better).

Not sure whether I will buy an NTSC wii or what I will do depends on whether the emulations are good on Wii U VC for Neo Geo and 60hz.

I am willing to pay for the best product.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Big_A2 - Thing is though at least as it stands there is no best version of megaman 1-3. The spirites are better on the megadrive version. Much more pleasant to play but it has really bad slowdown. (But in different places some of the bits with slowdown in the NES versions have no slowdown).

I bought the VC arcade ghost's and goblins and am pleased with it but other than a VC Arcade version the console version worth having of ghoul's and ghosts is the PC Engine version and for whatever reason they never released it in PAL regions. Megadrive version doesn't play the same.

Situation is still a mess. (NTSC wii u is the only way to make sure you are not affected by stupid choices).

hydeks

hydeks said:

YAY! Basicly all the Nintendo released Mega Man games are gonna be available, that is sweet :)

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

Megaman really fits in the Nintendo world really!, place nintendo buy the megaman franchise!
Megaman and sonic they both fit

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

If GBA games are coming, Capcom better release the Battle Network series to Wii U. Don't know how multiplayer would work so maybe 3DS would fit better.

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

thats nice but before they tease us they should at least release their game . Dungeon and dragon who was suppose to be release 18th june. what a fake

KillerGBH

KillerGBH said:

btw i luv megaman one of the best series ever, im just mad for dungeon dragon lol was waiting that game since 2month + and still have to wait -_-

Kodeen

Kodeen said:

@unrandomsam

Yeah, I keep forgetting how you guys got screwed with the whole 50hz thing. Not sure that an NTSC Wii would help you much, as you wouldn't be able to make any purchases from the North American shop. The PC/arcade VGA idea is an interesting one, but that monitor can't be cheap.

Ah, well. Hobbies!

umegames

umegames said:

Megaman is my favorite video game character, but i can't bring myself to buy the VC games, simply because i have the Gamecube collection for both megaman and megaman x. However, one day i may be swayed, because i don't care for the controls on gamecube for megaman and the save states would be nice.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

What this guy above me says.

Also, I will eagerly get 7 and X2 and X3 if they are released. I love 1-6 and X. I'd really like to try the GBA Zero games as well.

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Pichuka97 @Beta

Yea, I would love to see the Battle Network Series come onto the Wii U AND the 3DS. Bring GBA games on the 3DS! They shouldn't avoid a handheld virtual console on a current gen handheld!

Battle Network Series was my favourite GBA Megaman series along with Megaman Zero. Played both versions of all games except Megaman Battle Network 3. I wonder how they will handle Giga chips. You need a friend for that right?

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Five-seveN

If you want to play the Zero games and have the 3DS, you can buy the Megaman Zero Collection for DS. It is around $16 for all 4 games in one cart with slight upgrades and unchanged gameplay. It will be cheaper than what they might take on the eShop.

Warruz

Warruz said:

I just wish capcom would make a new mega man game for the Wii U . Beyond from that i think an English Mega man & Bass would be nice to see

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

No matter how many old Mega Man games Capcom gave us, I'm still gonna stick to my original demand, give us Mega Man Legends 3 already. With all the cash you get from all these old Mega Man games we pay you, surely you could easily invest that to make a full fledge MML3 game for 3DS and/or Wii U.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

You know... With the 3D Mega Man model in the new SSB... I think a BRAND NEW Side Scrolling Mega Man series is in order... He looks so awesome, I don't see why not...

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Man withh all the olf MM games coming to VC, it makes me dissapointed I can't seem to get into the series. And yes, I have tried many titles only the battle network games I enjoyed but that's not classic MM. Either way I hope they keep releasing more for you MM fans. Just cause I don't like doesn't mean you all can't enjoy them right :P.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Lasermaster123 Thanks for telling me about that! I might just do that at some point. Only thing is, I'm kind of done buying original DS games, and I like to have these kinds of games as digital downloads. Might still try it though. Thanks!

Edit: After reading some Amazon reviews, I'm definitely sold. Thank you so much for telling me about that collection! I didn't know it existed!

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Megaman X and Megaman Battle Network series on 3DS VC. I demand them. And while you're at it, start adding SNES games in general. You have NES games and the 3DS is more than capable of it so why not?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Would be nice if they released MM7 on the VC, so i wouldn't have to drop $150 for a copy on eBay. ;) Then again, $150 aint too bad since MM7 includes a robot master that was built around Count Chocula!

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Caramel Here here! I want Super Nintendo AND Game Boy Advance VC games on the 3DS! Having games like Mega Man X, Super Metroid, and Mario RPG on a portable would be heavenly!

dadajo

dadajo said:

@Zodiak13 Not going to be a troll or anything I am just curious. What did you not like about classic megaman. Was it the controls, difficulty, graphics, etc. I am just curious in hearing other peoples' opinions and would love to hear why.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

This is nice and all but really, who hasn't already played these old games dozens of times? I still have megaman anniversary collection and megaman x collection for gamecube. I want something new. Why is that so hard?

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

honestly this has got to be by fair the best move capcom has made least to try to settle down on the whole megaman thing and on a bright side more nintendo gamers get more VC so its a win win not to mention it gets them more crazy about megaman joining the new super smash bros U

but yeah i think ppl just want something new still i at least want those battle network megaman games those seem more fun to me for some reason

Lasermaster123

Lasermaster123 said:

@Five-seveN

No problem. That collection is amazing. It has all of the 4 games and best of all, the games remain unchanged so one cannot say that good parts have been removed from the game. The price point is also pretty appealing at this point and a physical copy is always great :D

You might not have known about the collection as it came around the end of the DS's lifetime.

EarthboundBenjy

EarthboundBenjy said:

Since I got myself an American PS2 in order to play games such as Tales of the Abyss, I decided to get the Mega Man Anniversary Collection and the Mega Man X collection for NTSC PS2.
And since I also have a modded SNES that can play any region cartridge, I got myself an original Mega Man & Bass cart for the Super Famicom. :D

But this stuff should have all been on Wii's VC by now. Before I got them on PS2, I had purchased Mega Mans one through five on the VC and was eagerly waiting for the rest...which never came.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

So what's the remake suggested in the article's title? Mega Man 8?

Actually, Capcom should consider Mega Man Powered Up for 3DS, perhaps with the sequels that have yet to come.

sonik

sonik said:

Mega Man 7 (Snes) and Mega Man 8 (PS1 & Saturn) can get a de-make or nes-make.

There is already a fanmade pc remake called Rockman 7 and 8 FC, this is what the original MM series is all about: Classic 8-bit action, oh add please Mega Man 9 and 10 to wii u eshop please.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@dadajo Little late replying just noticed your reply. None of the above. It just purely was not fun to me. Can't explain anymore than that. Ghost and Goblins kicked my but yet I kept coming back. Difficulty was higher than some games, but still playable. It just never brought out any joy in the playing. Wish I had a better answer. I don't think the games are bad, which I never said, just that I can't get into them.

dadajo

dadajo said:

@Zodiak13
Understandable. I was just curious. I think everybody has those games that everybody seems to love that they just don't like yet can acknowledge they are good games. Mine are some of the retro rpgs. I can't stand the grinding in some of them and this is from a guy who raised more than 50 level 100 pokemon. Thanks for replying.

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@Lasermaster123 So far I haven't done any better than C. O___o It really is a hard game, but it's so much fun! I can't wait to try the others because as good as Zero is, I've heard the other ones are even better! :D