Hardware Classics: Sega Mega Drive

Posted by Damien McFerran

The genesis of Sega's superstardom

It's fitting that the first non-Nintendo entry in our Hardware Classics series should be the Sega Mega Drive. This sleek 16-bit powerhouse remains Sega's most commercially successful console, having shifted around 40 million units globally. Famous for being the first console to challenge Nintendo's dominance in North America — where it was christened the Sega Genesis — it played host to a wide range of amazing games, including the debut of Sonic the Hedgehog, arguably Sega's most renowned and enduring creation. Released in 1988 in Japan, the Mega Drive never really caught on in its homeland and was relegated to third place behind Nintendo and PC Engine creator NEC. It would be the console's western launch which would propel it to real success, with the North American console going toe-to-toe with the Super Nintendo console. In Europe — where the machine would retain the Mega Drive moniker — it enjoyed even more popularity, thanks to Sega's impressive stranglehold on that particular region.

Throughout the course of the console's life Sega was quick to embrace new technology — certainly more so that its rival Nintendo. The Mega CD launched in 1991 in Japan and 1992 in the US, and the increased storage space allowed developers to add animated cut-scenes, extra levels and CD-quality music to their games. However, it failed to live up to its potential and outside of a handful of desirable titles — Sonic CD being perhaps the most notable — it remains something of a curiosity. Even less successful was the ill-fated 32X, a bolt-on device which attempted to bridge the gap between the Mega Drive and its 32-bit successor, the Sega Saturn. These missteps eroded consumer confidence in the Sega brand, something which would prove fatal by the time the Sony PlayStation arrived on the scene. Mistakes aside, the Sega Mega Drive remains a legendary system. It's ergonomic joypad was a revolution for the time, offering increased comfort when compared to the boxy NES and Sega Master System controllers. It also offered backward compatibility with Sega's previous system thanks to the Power Base Converter, which allowed Mega Drive owners access to hundreds of Master System titles.

Sega's skill as an arcade developer helped flesh out the Mega Drive's software selection considerably; a string of high-profile conversions such as Golden Axe, Alien Storm, Super Monaco GP and After Burner set standards. Other coin-op ports — such as Capcom's Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Forgotten Worlds, MERCS and Strider — were also handled by Sega, with equally striking results. However, Sega's domestic exclusives were just as impressive; titles such as Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi and Shining Force proved that when it was firing on all cylinders, the company was more than a match for Nintendo's talented designers. Third-party support was less effusive than on the Super Nintendo, but games such as Gunstar Heroes, MUSHA and Monster World IV — the latter a superb collaboration between Sega and Westone — kept fans happy. In North America and Europe, the console benefited from support from super-publisher Electronic Arts, which released million-selling franchises such as Madden, FIFA and NHL Hockey to the console, as well as critical hits like Road Rash and Desert Strike.

Although the Mega Drive's pad looks primitive when compared to the Super Nintendo's iconic joypad, the circular "rolling" D-pad is arguably more responsive and is ideal for smooth, precise movements. Sega attempted to catch up in the "button war" by launching a smaller six-button pad to coincide with the conversion of Capcom's Street Fighter II. Released at launch, the robust Arcade Power Stick represented another link with Sega's arcade heritage; the heavy, micro-switched joystick was a big change from the plastic controllers that were so commonplace at the time. To counter the launch of the Nintendo Super Scope for the SNES, Sega released a copycat light-gun called The Menacer, but it failed to gain any traction due to a dearth of quality software. Towards the end of the console's lifespan, Sega was working on a Virtual Reality headset which would never see the light of day — despite reaching quite an advanced stage of development.

Collecting for the Mega Drive today is relatively easy, thanks to the popularity of the console. Like the Super Nintendo, hardware is common and cheap, and software is just as abundant on auction sites. There are certain titles which remain highly collectable and command steep prices. Many Japan-exclusive releases — such as Gley Lancer, Panorama Cotton, Battle Mania 2, Eliminate Down, Slap Fight MD and Snow Bros — sell for eye-watering prices, and their value is only going to creep upwards as copies get snapped up by savvy collectors. The plastic cases used for Mega Drive software ensure that collecting for the console is easier than it is for the Super Nintendo, which utilised more fragile cardboard boxes. Japanese Mega Drive box-art makes that region's games even more desirable; as you can see from the examples shown here, there are some truly beautiful pieces of art adorning the covers of many Japanese releases.

Given the Nintendo focus of this site, it seems almost odd to speak so glowingly about a rival piece of hardware, but we're prepared to make an exception for the Sega Mega Drive. It may have been a deadly adversary for the SNES, but it also delivered some of the best games of the 16-bit era — many of which are now available on the Wii Virtual Console. Sega and Nintendo have now put their differences behind them and have even collaborated on games such as F-Zero GX and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, but fans of a certain age will no doubt retain fond memories of the 16-bit console wars and the amazing software which appeared from both firms as a result.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

Ah, happy days.

Have to say I much preferred the Megadrive controller to the SNES one, I found it much more comfortable. I reckon you can actually see the influence of it on modern controllers too, with the curves and points becoming more exaggerated.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

The Sega Genesis will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my first video game console. I'd argue that it's better than the SNES with the likes of Sonic, Shinobi, Vectorman, Phantasy Star, and Golden Axe!

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

My favorite game system ever! So many great games! So many great memories!

AG_Systems

AG_Systems said:

Knew this article would be a cracker. My first japanese console, bought from PC Engine Supplies way back in 1990. So many astounding games arrived and so many are still amazing to this day.

I'll never forget the feeling as an 18 year old, fresh from playing on the Amiga, being confronted by this amazing black box and its countless charms. Yes I am that old but the memories will remain forever!

Falco

Falco said:

The Mega Drive was an iconic and ultra successful console. I wanted to get a Megadrive but knew the SNES was coming so decided to wait and get it instead, all my friends had Megadrive's. After having my SNES for about a year, a friend of mine suggested we swap consoles for a few days, or a week, I agreed. He had about 6 games, golden axe was one I can remember and Sonic the hedgehog was another, I can't remember the rest. I couldn't wait to get my SNES back of him and I think I called round to his house for it after 2 days. I taught the games weren't a patch on SNES games and it was then I realized how far ahead of the competition Nintendo was. I was used to playing Mario Kart, Mario World and Zelda and the like.

mookysam

mookysam said:

I remember visiting my Grandma's house and playing Sonic for the first time on my uncle's Mega Drive. It seemed wonderful and strange and new and I'd never seen anything like it before. When we got home my Dad surprised me by producing a Mega Drive - my uncle had been kind enough to give me his Mega Drive and games. I spent the next few years playing practically nothing but Sonic until my Mega Drive met an untimely demise. Super, iconic console.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I love my Genesis but I was pretty much the only kid in my town that had one. Everyone else in my town talked about Mario, Zelda, and Donkey Kong on the Super Nintendo.

bahooney

bahooney said:

I had a few friends who had the Genesis, and I own Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, so I'm well versed in the type of games featured on the Sega. I didn't own a SNES until I was 15, so the nostalgia-tinted goggles are non-existent when I say the SNES has captivated me in a way that the Genesis can never, and will never, be able to!

There's just that charm that Nintendo has that goes beyond words, sprinkled across all of their games.

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

Anyone else think they should make a genises style gamep pad for the 3ds, similar to the circle pad pro? one that could be optimzed for games like smash bros, or street fighter, they could include a new control stick on the right (so fighting games wont destroy them, and add a couple new buttons on the left.

I personally would love this and would buy this day one

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Which ever is better or whatnot, I'm happy that I always had access to the enemy's systems.
We always had a silent agreement with my best friend that he bought the other consoles (Megadrive, Playstation) and I bought the Nintendo. This way we got the best of both worlds!
Haha, ofcourse there was the occasional argument of superiority.

TheAdza

TheAdza said:

I loved my Megadrive. Mainly for the Sonic games but I hired out so many games. Has the SNES had the jrpg releases in PAL areas I probably would have played it much more, but I loved the Sega feel so much more back then.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

that's exactly the same model of Megadrive i have in fact my dad is playing premier manager 97 on it as i write this post

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

As many, back then I had to choose between the SNES or the Megadrive. Everyone around me was buying Megadrives (in Portugal), but I waited until the SNES was released and have no regrets. Now I own both with hundreds of carts. Isn't it funny that will all our HD consoles and hight tech, no one has been able to make a game better than "Gunstar Heroes"? Something to think about.

Farmboy74

Farmboy74 said:

To me the Megadrive will always be a classic, a pity Sega lost their direction with pointless add ons.

MAB

MAB said:

The Megadrive/CD/32X was a monstrosity... A monstrosity that only a MadAussieBloke could love ;)

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Growing up, we could only afford one home console, and my older brother made the call to go with a Mega Drive. Although I've enjoyed playing catch-up with SNES in later years, this'll always be the system of my childhood and have a special place as a result.

Having only had a ZX Spectrum beforehand, I can honestly say that firing up the original Sonic the Hedgehog started my love affair with gaming, so I owe it a lot!

Peach64

Peach64 said:

This was my first console, and I loved the thing. In the UK it was all about the Megadrive. The thing that swung it for me over the SNES was their respective versions of the Aladdin tie-in game. The Megadrive one was so much better. I preferred Sonic to Mario as well, and my only real regret was missing out on Mario Kart.

I think I got it for Christmas 93 with Aladdin, Streets of Rage and Sonic the Hedgehog. The other games I remember loving the most were Micro Machines 96, Shining Force, Phantasy Star IV, Gunstar Heroes, Landstalker, Ristar, Cool Spot, Haunting, Road Rash, Desert Strike and Toy Story right at the end. What a console!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

wonderful console and by far sega's most successful in terms of sales. but the megadrive was as epic as the super nintendo - had the best of both first and third-party games. who could argue with a system that had classics such as Sonic, streets of rage, shining force, phantasy star, ristar, gunstar heroes and monster world 4? i know i wouldn't!

meppi

meppi said:

Oh, I spot a Japanese Bloodlines in there as well!
That's one of the games that I'm still really after at this point. Will certainly be grabbing it in the future when I feel like spending some coin. ;)

and extra props for Wardner no Mori! :D

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Never owned one, but I remember thinking as a kid that the only advantage it had over the SNES was more violent and bloody games likes Techno Cop and Robocop vs Terminator. The SNES felt like it was built sturdier and it had better graphics/colors and sound.

hydeks

hydeks said:

the system that made a hardcore gamer! God I miss Sega being in the console buisness. Sega Genesis was the best :)

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

The Sega Genesis and NES are tied as my all time favorite game systems. It was a true golden age of gaming that will never happen again.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

@xj0462 probably because this is a euopean site and over here it was call the Megadrive the only reason it was called genesis in north america is because someone was already using that name but for the rest of the world it was Megadrive that's it's proper name

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

O crap I had sooo much love for my MegaDrive. To date I've never owned a console where I had more games for than my Mega Drive :) With over 100 games, yet not a single one was a traditional sports game, it was my pride and joy! Sold it only because I was moving to South Africa and couldn't afford to bring all the games over. I've regretted it since though but at least I got my most loved games back on the Virtual Console. Except for Micro Machines, Desert Strike and Krusty's Super Funhouse. Ah bugger...

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I had the GENESIS/SEGA CD/32X, but ultimately sold it to upgrade to a SEGA CDX. It's still the crown jewel of my collection, along with my mint copy of SNATCHER. PLEASE GIVE ME A REMAKE/SEQUEL ON WIIU!!! (Oh, and EARTHWORM JIM SPECIAL EDITION on Sega CD FTW!)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I got the Genesis back in the earlier 90's with Castle of Illusion. I shifted between the SNES & Genny' a great deal during the 16-bit console wars, and outside a couple of titles(I've played dozens) the genesis doesn't hold really any GREAT memories(The complete opposite actually) as far as i'm concerned, and completely B-bomb in comprison to how magical the SNES was. The weak color pallette, Darker vibe, sound quality and even the graphics of the MD kind of irked me most of the time...It was just lacking the charm of both the Nes & Snes.

Forget nostalgia, i honestly felt like i wasted my time with it. The sound chip must of came from the depths of hell(Haunted is the perfect ex), as it made many games sound like some synthasized, demonic, gargly/drowning 16-bit Techno-horror movie. A perfect match for games like Splatterhouse! :p Yet Streets of Rage 1 & 2 both had amazing scores, as well as Rocket Knight Adventures as a couple of exmaples. But The sound chip was unique and it seperated itself from the more whimsical, upbeat and orchestrated sound of the SNES. When you hear a Genesis game you KNOW it's a genesis game. As for the Genesis controller goes, I couldn't stand it.

However, props to Sega for including a headphone jack in model 1 and trying to make a fool of the SNES with those unforgettable commercials :* And with that negative pile of text ouf of the way, I've gotta say...Playing Genesis games on the Wii's VC makes for a much better experience imo. Being able to use the Classic control or Wii remote when the control scheme is available depending on the game is a big bonus, and the quality you get through component cables make the titles look more crisp and colorful.

PS: Did anybody else have a blast with Ghostbusters back on the MD? Far superior than those two terrible NES games. But once again, where in the hell is Winston!?

KingMike

KingMike said:

Can't forget the playground Nintendo vs. Sega arguments.

Lack of Menacer games? That's an understatement. :P
So I heard Terminator 2 Arcade was the only game aside from the pack-in to support it. And I only heard of one canceled game for it called Monster Hunter (not related to the Capcom franchise. Though I hear that franchise could save certain other dying consoles... :D )

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

I love the Mega Drive/Genesis. It was the Sega Master System and Sega Genesis that introduced me to console gaming. I missed my Genesis so much I bought another one along with a 32X & Sega CD. There were so many great games that did not come out for the Wii VC, namely Batman Returns, Snathcer and Popful Mail for the Sega CD & The Adventures of Batman & Robin & Rocket Knight Adventures for the Genesis as well as Star Wars Arcade & Kolibri, I had to pick up the system again.

Great article.

Oh yeah, I can't forget Pier Solar! SWEET!!!

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

The Sega Genesis will always occupy a special place for me as my very first console. I've still got it along with a 32X.

This may seem blasphemous, but I think "Sonic 3 & Knuckles" is better than any game on the SNES. The SNES had better graphics and sound capabilities, but the Genesis had the more powerful CPU. Let's hear it for blast processing!

Kirk

Kirk said:

Another classic indeed.

The console and controller aren't quite as lovely and well put together as the Euro/Jap SNES imo but it's got some great games.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@BulbasaurusRex Totally agree!
And the Mega Drive was renamed the Genesis in NA, only because SEGA couldn't use the name. Trademark/patent issues or something like that.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

Very nice work, Mr. McFerran, as usual.

I've recently acquired a Megadrive II with a stack of games - such great memories flooding back on every bootup. :)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I have that "Asian Version" Sonic 2. Great box art :3

Don't just sit there and
waste your precious time.
When you want to do something,
do it when you can. Do it right away.
It's the only way to live life without regrets.

fluggy

fluggy said:

Loved my mega drive. Great games like Revenge of Shinobi, Castle of Illusion, Star Control, Golden Axe, Quackshot. Totally eclipsed by the SNES unfortunately. Always thought Sonic was totally over rated. Mario World hasn't aged a day and still plays great but can't play Sonic more than 5 mins without getting bored. Mario kart, Zelda and Super Metroid (and many others) were games that the Mega drive just couldn't come close to equalling. . . because of this I find it harder to think as fondly of the MD compared to my SNES. Both great but my heart still belongs to Ninty!!

fluggy

fluggy said:

@BulbasaurusRex
WHAT!!??!? Better than Zelda: ALTTP, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Mario Kart???!!! Either You're bonkers or you just have terrible taste!!!

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

My all time favourite console. I still have dreams about it sometimes. I simply LOVED IT ! Shame sega pulled out from console wars.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

The best console war there ever was. The Genny/MD had so many classics.

Rocket Knight Adventures, Shinobi III, Pulseman, Strider, Rolling Thunder 2 and 3, Streets Of Rage trilogy, Gunstar Heroes, Contra: Hard Corps, Ristar, Sonic The Hedgehog platformers, Road Rash, Thunderforce series, Mega Turrican, Castlevania Bloodlines, Comix Zone, Vectorman 1 and 2, Ranger-X, the Monster World games...

I know there's a lot of revisionists out there trying to make it like Sega was always totally irrelevant, but that's simply not the case. This is one of the best systems ever.

Cranky

Cranky said:

Ive never owned a Megadrive but I specifically remember in 1991 when I saw Sonic the Hedgehog for the first time, it blew my mind.

Garo

Garo said:

My first game console. Still have both the original version and the revised Megadrive II. Contrary to popular belief, MD has some great games that don't have "Sonic" in the title: Castle of Illusion, Ecco the Dolphin, Streets of Rage, Rocket Knight Adventures, Tiny Toon Adventures...

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

The game console that taught me how to play and also my first one (thanks dad); this is my favorite console of all time just for a reason, and it isn't sonic: THE SHINOBI TRILOGY; that was a hell of a trilogy, and also very hard games. Shadow dancer the secret of shinobi a.k.a shinobi 2 taught me how to play those 1 hit kill games, the reason I can play games like contra, metal slug or even gunstar heroes on this very same console, without it, it would have been difficult to master them. Shinobi 1 and specially 3 are simply perfect action/platforming masterpieces that I play every now and then. Pure masterpieces came out for this: phelios, gaiares, altered beast port, phantasy star 2 and 4 (3 is crap), sonic tetralogy, strider, gunstar heroes, alien soldier, tiny toon adventures, animaniacs, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, Super street fighter 2, streets of rage trilogy, golden axe trilogy, mickey mouse castle of illusion, quackshot, mickey and donald world of illusion, X-MEN 2 CLONE WARS (1 was crap, again), dick tracy, taz escape from mars, contra hard corps, castlevania bloodlines, rocket knight adventures, etc etc etc etc. Best console ever.

FOURSIDE_BOY

FOURSIDE_BOY said:

@Deathgaze And you won't ever know that you're completely wrong; while I admit the snes is a masterpiece as well, the sega genesis/megadrive had its own collection of games that set it aside from the snes completely. Graphics aren't everything, and from your type of comment, we also could assume that the xbox360 is superior to the wii just because it has better graphics.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS FTW!
*this message was typed using blast processing

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

The Megadrive is pretty awesome but the build quality is nowhere near any Nintendo product. Now, 20 odd years later, all those Megadrives look pretty awful and a lot of them are broken.

Neram

Neram said:

Wow, fantastic feature, Nintendo Life. I think it's safe to say that although the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive was competition for Nintendo, that it was integral to video gaming during the 16-bit era. The coexistence of the SNES and Genesis/Mega Drive made for a golden age of gaming.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I loved my Sega Genesis as a kid. My favorite game on that system was easily Sonic the Hedgehog 2. A pure classic.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

There's no denying that the Sega Genesis and Super NES era was the best era for gaming, lots of impressive and innovative games from every genre and tons of exclusive from both sides. One side you had your Shining Force, your Sonic the Hedgehog, Shinobi, Golden Axe, After Burner, Outrun, Ecco the Dolphin, Vectorman, Comix Zone, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, Ristar, and Columns. On the other side you had your Super Mario World, F-Zero, Super Metroid, Star Fox, Yoshi's Island, Battle Clash, Uniracer, Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby Superstar, Fire Emblem, and Tetris Attack. On both ends you had your superb third party exclusives like Rocket Knight Adventures, Castlevania Bloodline, TMNT Turtles in Time, Legend of the Mystic Ninja, X-Men games, Super Star Wars, Chrono Trigger, Harvest Moon, Final Fantasy VI, Aladdin, Final Fight, Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Zero Wing, Mega Man X, etc. One of the best age for gaming too.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I still have my model 2 Genesis along with the CD attachment. Definitely one of my favorite systems of all time. The Genesis was such an awesome system it was sad to see that Sega's two systems after the Genesis flopped.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Such a great console but at the same time such a vague part of my childhood memories. I have fond memories of Altered Beast (yes, I'm one of those odd people who actually like it) and Sonic the Hedgehog along with several Master System games, but things like which model are long gone.

I still prefer the SNES but I'll always have a soft spot for the Mega Drive. In fact one of the first games I bought for my PSP was the Genesis collection.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

Always had all the consoles, including Neo Geo and Jaguar, but I never really enjoyed the Sega Genesis. Yes I'm a huge fan of Nintendo, but my favorite system of all time is the Sega Dreamcast. But there characters and games of that era never captivated me, and I can honestly say to this day I don't like most Sonic games and that includes 1-3. But I do miss the days of Nintendo vs Sega, it brought out the best in Nintendo.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Shinobi ll , The sega 6pak Collection , All the Sonics Even 3D Blast lmao , Ex-Mutants , Alisia's Dragoon , Contra Hard Corps , Cyborg Justice , Lightning Force , Combat Cars , All Street of Rage's , WWF Royal Rumble , Superman & Solstice just to name a few ! Man i want my childhood back :(

This is a playlist that i havent updated in awhile but here youll find some of the games im talking about if your interested.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

After the Master System I went for the Megadrive, Sonic, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Strider, so many great games even fairly early on.

Mine purchased with Sonic all those years ago is still working fine, but I also have a 2nd console with a 60Hz switch and SCART lead added as the original PAL version didn’t give the greatest picture.

The SNES has great games too, but as I grew up with SEGA consoles, reading SEGA Power and SEGA Force magazines, the Megadrive is especially nostalgic for me.

rastamadeus

rastamadeus said:

@Deathgaze The you, sir, are seriously in need of help. I wouldn't have had a problem if you'd wrote what you did in a different way but you just make yourself sound like a deluded thirteen year old fanboy desperate for a pissing contest.

Dynamite Heady alone was reason enough for the console to be on equal placing with the Super Famicom/SNES.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

great consple a little lightweight in the classic games department when compared to the SNES but still was great.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

If you like platformers and classic 2D games it really is the best generation. There aren't really any other systems (other than the NES) that have as many high quality 2D games as the 16-bit era had.

Especially if you add in the Turbografx, the Neo Geo, and the general arcade scene. There was a ton of old school classics coming out all over the place. It was 2D gaming's peak.

oOo-Sega-oOo

oOo-Sega-oOo said:

Great console! I never actually owned one at the time as I waited for the SNES (Best console ever!). But I used to go round to a old mates house and play his MegaDrive. I thought games like Sonic The Hedgehog 2, Gunstar Heroes, Castle Of Ilusion and Aladdin were awesome. Also the amount of arguments we had over who was the best Nintendo or Sega was crazy. The SNES and MegaDrive era was certainly the greatest time ever in gaming history. Bring back the 90's gaming era!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

Still have mine set-up, all in good working order. Bought it in the first month it was released in the UK. So many great games, Strider, Castle of Illusion, Hellfire, Thunderforce III, Landstalker, Shining Force (I & II), Revenge of Shinobi, Dragon's Fury and many others.

Paul4679

Paul4679 said:

Tense matches in PGA Tour Golf II with my Dad; getting bludgeoned with a pipe by my Mum over a roast chicken in Streets of Rage 2 (accidental, she said); split screen racing with my brother in Sonic 3; 2 controller ports ON THE CART for 4 player Micro Machines; Brutal fistfights in NHL; Benny Hill style referee chases in FIFA; Street Fighter 2 Special Champion Edition for a tenner (boxless) out of the local Tandy store - what a bargain. The Megadrive never left me wanting, even when my love affair with Nintendo began with the N64...

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

this was probably the second console i had in my house (first was the NES). a great system and i still have my first one but it barely works so i have picked up another one. but i loved playing sonic 2, sonic spinball, and Dr. Robotniks Mean Bean Machine. though my dad had sold those games way back, i have since been able to get them again. though back then i didnt game much, being outside was more of what i did, it was still a fun thing to do before bedtime. i now currently have 3 systems and one portable version that i bought at the local store on black friday for $20. still a system that i like, though i wouldnt say its my favorite, it still holds alot of great games and memories.

Spectator

Spectator said:

Still being a sega fanboy I'd have to say this was one of the best consoles I've ever played games on. Gunstar Heroes, Comix Zone, Streets of Rage, ToeJam and Earl, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Herog Zwei, Valis 3, and even Bonanza Bros the list goes on.... you just don't see games like that at retail anymore...