Surprise Ubisoft Sale Arrives on Wii U eShop in North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Should be codenamed "Operation Rayman Appeasement"

There's certainly been a lot of fiery outrage around the web and here on Nintendo Life in the past week, with Ubisoft being a target following its delay of Rayman Legends on Wii U — implemented in order to accommodate a simultaneous release on Xbox 360 and PS3. Wii U owners excited about the game have been exceptionally vocal, petitions have been raised and there were even pictures of the development team posing with a poster bemoaning the news.

Ubisoft stayed quiet on the issue until earlier today, when Rayman Legends creative director Michel Ancel and senior game designer Michael Micholic posted a video on Facebook to confirm that Wii U owners would receive an exclusive Rayman Legends online challenge mode for free in April, a download for all on the eShop. That gesture makes any prospect of the full game coming back to its original release particularly unlikely, but a free download that could represent plenty of content is an offering that could please many.

Somewhat coincidentally — or not, we suspect — it's now been confirmed that six retail Ubisoft titles on Wii U have now had their prices cut 30% in a one week promotion on the North American eShop. The following games are reduced until 26th February.

ZombiU — $41.99 (was $59.99)
Assassin's Creed III — $41.99 (was $59.99)
Just Dance 4 — $34.99 (was $49.99)
Rabbids Land — $34.99 (was $49.99)
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 — $34.99 (was $49.99)
ESPN Sports Connection — $34.99 (was $49.99)

At the time of writing no equivalent offers are available in the European Wii U eShop. So, North Americans, do any of these price reductions tempt you into a retail download, and do you think this is part of ongoing Rayman Legends damage limitation? Let us know in the comments below.

[via nintendo.com]

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Not a bad deal, however I'm not interested in these titles.
I really hope Legends doesn't lose sales, because it seems like a majority of Ubisoft doesn't want this, and that same majority is being spit on by us, who seem to want to be forgiven for this 7 Month Delay.

Arctic_Furnace

Arctic_Furnace said:

Even if there was a 30% reduction on the UK eshop for Ubisoft games, they would still be cheaper to buy on Amazon.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

I really feel for the Rayman devs. This is probably just the suits crawling. It's a crappy situation.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

I was hoping Assassin's Creed 3 already had a price drop below 60 by now (regular price)...still makes it 41 dollars....not sure if I'm feeling it yet.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I'm seriously considering Just Dance 4, and maybe AC3. My cousins been begging to buy it since she liked the Wii ones. MAYBE AC3, but I already have 3 of those I got cheap for PS3, and I don't even play those.
This is a good deal if you've been avoiding digital to save money. I bought ZombiU day 1 for $60, and it's been 3 months.

bizcuthammer

bizcuthammer said:

Hey ubisoft, here's an idea on how to actually appease wii u gamers: release rayman legends on Feb 26 like you said you would. Not that hard.

Nareva

Nareva said:

I may buy AC3. With the Deluxe Digital Promotion, it's now cheaper than on Amazon by a few dollars. Or I could just wait until Amazon lowers the price again.

PK_Wonder

PK_Wonder said:

I already have ZombiU and AC III, so... no money saved for me. but this is a step in the right direction, even if they can't fully apologize to every single person. Some people are just going to remain frustrated, and I still feel that it was a poor business decision. They could have made a LOT of money releasing Rayman Legends now, when Wii U gamers desperately need a new game, instead of later, when there will be many more options (plus Grand Theft Auto V). I will personally fully forgive them though if Watch Dogs, Blacklist, South Park, and Assassin's Creed IV are all on the Wii U.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I'm suprised Ubisoft is going so far to appease fans for the delay. I don't remember other companies caring enough in the first place to do all of this. Maybe we should give them a break.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Intrepid

It would be nice but some people will never be won over with anything anyone does to help appease them.

Nintendo gamers can be particularly unforgiving.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Actually, Just Dance is out for me. I heard it's basically watching stuff happen on screen, and you don't even really have to do anything. Probably more for kids that want to just dance, but it really doesn't matter if you do good.
How much cheaper does Amazon have the games for, and is waiting 5 days minus Sunday worth the wait for a game you can have within a few hours? This is a good attempt at giving good deals on the eShop, especially if you consider AC to be a can't miss game.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I just checked U.S. Amazon, and the prices are identical. The only difference is waiting for a package.

indienapolis

indienapolis said:

If I hadn't already bought ZombiU and AC3, I'd be all over this. For anyone on the fence I'd say the second screen functionality, though minor, makes the WiiU version of AC3 the best.

indienapolis

indienapolis said:

@SCAR392 The upside is the convenience of not having to swap in and out discs and add to clutter (if that's a concern). The biggest downside IMO is eliminating the possibility of selling the game when you're done. I have a couple download titles and have grown to love the (minor) convenience of the downloaded game.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

If I buy one of these, it's gonna be retail, not download. But if they'd like to offer me a Digital game, i'd be happy to take Scott Pilgrim or Beyond Good & Evil.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

The only Ubisoft game coming for sure to Wii U I'm interested in is Rayman. Now if Koei-Tecmo were having a sale...

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

Just read an article that made me realize how big the rage is against ubisoft, I can't avoid to share the feeling these discounts are not a coincidence >_>;

If this keep up a little more WiiU owners will literally get from Ubisoft everything except Rayman Legends XD;;;

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

People are still mad? Wow! Ubisoft is really evil for delaying this game!! :P

Nareva

Nareva said:

@indienapolis I'm in the same boat on off-screen play. I enjoy playing off-screen and if I'm in another room, the minor convenience of not having to switch discs is pretty awesome. And with the discount from the deluxe promotion, AC3 is a few bucks cheaper as a download than it is on Amazon. That makes it worth it as a download for me.

carlocunanan

carlocunanan said:

Cut Ubisoft some slack guys, a new demo and discounts were not obligations that Ubisoft had to do...

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Haha, forget it. Ubisoft wants us to wait 7 months for Rayman Legends. In 7 months, most likely that will be the retail price on Amazon for these games. I will pass.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@sinalefa
Those are the current prices on Amazon for the game. It just beats waiting for shipping. I'm not getting the games because I don't want them, not because Ubisoft 'hates' Nintendo.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

Remember that the delay of Legends was not the developers fault. It was those "suits." these discounts...not sure what to make of them because Im not too interested in the games. Isnt zombiU coming in a bundle with Nintendo Land digital download anyway? Hmm...

KAHN

KAHN said:

i will never download a game when i have the option to buy it at retail. NEVER. those boxes and manuals are a part of my culture. also, if my system somehow breaks, i can't return the games! with a physical copy, i can still get my money back! even if i did want to buy it digitally, my basic set doesn't have enough room.

steamhare

steamhare said:

I'll probably purchase ZombiU during this sale. I purchased the deluxe set instead of the basic because I knew I'd be interested in e-shop purchases.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

But there's a problem with this, for me, at least. I wasn't upset by the delay because it would be that much longer before I could play Rayman. I was upset because of how much the delay would hurt the already-struggling Wii U. They can give me all the free and/or cheap content they want, but nothing is going to change the fact that they pulled the rug out from under Nintendo when Nintendo needed it least.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Maybe if it used dual remote control, but I just read a review and it said all you have to do is tap the remote in a rhythm, or move your right hand to the movements. You don't have to actually dance to play the game, which is the point.

gazamataz

gazamataz said:

i loved zombi u i've played it though and traded it in.but if what i've heard about digtal loading times being alot quicker is true and a similar price cut comes to europe i will get it again.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

No thank you. Those are all priced still about $34-$41 too high. Maybe they should have dropped them to 90% off, about the right price anyone should pay for a Ubicrap game.

HiroshiYamauchi

HiroshiYamauchi said:

@ SCAR392 Tapping won't trick the game, moving your hands in the right direction will do, but the whole point of the game is if you do the same movements displayed on screen you will have a good score and if you don't you'll have a bad score. I'm not trying to change your mind, it may not be your thing (it isn't mine), but i suggest you to read more reviews of the game.

C7_

C7_ said:

"Let's delay a heavily marketed and console-selling game that was ready to release for over half a year, and then when the fans get angry, split off a part of the game, call it 'exclusive' and put our existing mostly shovelware (excluding the port and ZombiU) games on a mediocre sale that will in turn give us more money"

Hey Ubisoft. Try releasing Rayman Legends on time, because I've already told everyone I know personally the situation with the delay and they aren't even going to buy it if it released for $10 because they don't support this crap, and the only way your getting me to buy any of your future products is if you stop being greedy idiots. This isn't an apology; it's a cash grab. Steam has better sales than this for no reason other than to have sales; these prices are a joke.
I honestly wish I had more ways of protesting this nonsense than just saying "You're not getting my wallet"

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Hey cool. Cheaper games. These are tempting even if you can get them another way, digital is convenient. I wish I had Nintendo Land on the system especially.

On Just Dance 4 it does a remarkable job with accuracy when you only have the one Wii remote. It does seem to track the rest of your body movements in an indirect way. I get better scores with accurate leg and body movements, it must track the bobbing motion, twisting etc. Anyway you cut it, if you are the kind of person that would play this game sitting on a couch waving your hand around like a fairy wand, you are NOT the target market. :P

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

@aaronsullivan
Haha. Ya. I just don't want to 'pretend' I'm playing a game. I want to actually play it. When I see shortcuts for controls in games like that, I don't really feel like playing it after I know there's an easier way to do the same thing.

allav866

allav866 said:

So basically Ubisoft is telling us, "We're extremely sorry for delaying the game, that we'll cut the price on our games for a week, and you can even get a free Rayman Challenge mode, but we still won't release Legends any sooner." Well, at least they're trying to make up for what they did, but it would've been so much easier on them if they never made such a stupid decision.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I'm not interested in digital retail downloads really, so this isn't for me. :/

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Well this puts a smirk on my face. Not for the whole make-up for Rayman, I got over that when I realized March is fast approaching with the rest of the launch titles; the whole retail downloads can go on sale. It got me optimistic on other retail games having price drops/sales.

On a related note I feel tempted to get AC3. I have to sleep on it.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

To be fair, the Wii U is getting some big titles very soon...until the inevitable delays! >:3

Zach777

Zach777 said:

AC3 might be the only one truly worth buying, but IF the AC3 George Washington edition comes to the Wii U that would be a fool move. Zombii U, maybe.... But that will significantly drop in price by September. The rest of those games are flushers... Plop, flush.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

AC3 probably for me. I want to get it at some point and this is a good deal, plus my Deluxe promotion points for it, seems like a good time for the plunge...

Sun

Sun said:

Hey Ubi, now European are the ones who are going to be mad at you! Me included.

By the way I don't like the Rayman Legends challenge offering, it looks like you get a mode that spoils the main game before you manage to have it in your hands. Give it or not, but don't give us pieces of it (unless is a demo).

Araknie

Araknie said:

Ok, Ubisoft, price sales down for a week and a completly free mode of the in april only for the Wii U is not like giving us the actual game but it's near that.

grovertheblue

grovertheblue said:

I'll be picking up AC3 as long as I can get my external hard drive setup in time...Arkham city ate up most of my 32GB. And I plan to download almost every retail title I plan to acquire on the WiiU, so AC3's 17GB will have to occupy my external drive. Question, does anyone know if you can hook a hard drive with content on it up to another WiiU to play/share those games?

indienapolis

indienapolis said:

@mwellert No, the games are tied to your system. I'm sure there's someone out there with a tricky work-around, but as far as simple plug and play, no. Nintendo (hell, no game company) wants digital downloads being swapped between hard drives.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I hope they give this prices in Mexico too. The games actually are higher than retail games. A $60 here is like $75.

Molotov

Molotov said:

Should be codenamed "Operation We Knew This System Wont Be Selling Well But We're Ubisoft And Support You When Everyone Else Has Given Up So Lets Slash Prices"