Capcom Not Looking To Bring "Late Ports" To Wii U

Posted by Andy Green

Focusing on new titles rather than old ones

The Wii U has had its fair share of ports already; games that have been released previously on other consoles and have been transferred over to Nintendo's new system with a few more bells and whistles attached. Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition, Darksiders II, and Mass Effect 3 for example have all had control or content updates on Wii U when the new console launched.

Of course there are plenty of other games currently being played on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 that many Wii U owners would like to see. We already know the likes of Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance will almost certainly not be making it to Wii U, and now it seems Capcom's current array of titles won't be making the switch either.

In a recent post in the Capcom Unity forums, Capcom’s Senior Vice President Christian Svensson has said people should not expect any of their current titles to appear on Wii U.

With regard to WiiU, in general we’re looking forward, not back so late ports are generally not on the table.

This means the likes of Resident Evil 6 are highly unlikely to find themselves on Wii U in the future. Capcom has, however, produced Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the system, so it's not all bad — though it surely borders on being an enhanced port with some additional content. The game is coming along nicely, as we recently explained in our first impressions.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you have liked to have seen some ports from Capcom on Wii U? Let us know in the comments below.

[via capcom-unity.com, siliconera.com]

gavn64

gavn64 said:

keep resi 6 ....seriously monster hunter 4 looks good thouth BTW im complety new to MH

HouseofBees

HouseofBees said:

Can't argue with that...I don't think there's even a market for late ports of games from other consoles. What needs to happen, though, is for developers to build on the example of Bayonetta 2, actually releasing games for the Wii U. Exclusives are great, but simply on time's good enough. As long as the release schedule doesn't descend into the diet and exercise of the Wii, then it's all good.

^ Incidentally, Monster Hunter's worth a go.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

This sucks. While it's not a Capcom title, I was actually hoping for a late port of Dead or Alive 5 seeing as I don't own a 360/PS3.

A double pack of Resident Evil 5 & 6 on Wii U would be great considering that neither of them have been previously released on a Nintendo platform. Seems doubtful that it would ever happen though.

Ryon

Ryon said:

Thats completely bogus and NOT capcom like.
Capcom LOVES to port over old games onto new consoles. This is just there way of politely saying that RE6 will not come to Wii U.

I wish it did come to Wii U.

edhe

edhe said:

An odd decision, since ports are easy money if they just outsource it to a satellite company.

I respect their decision, although I'd like to see what new games they are planning to release for the Wii U in the coming years.

I'd love to see Dead Rising on the WiiU, and I hope Capcom don't make excuses and deny us Wii U gamers this game (and its like) over the coming years just because, traditionally, these games haven't came out on a Nintendo console for so many years.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Too bad IMO because I would pick up immediately stuff like "Street Fighter IV", "Lost Planet", "Dead Rising", "Marvel vs Capcom 3", etc. Please not I do not own a PS3, 360 or a PC capable of running those games, so If they would put these titles on Wii U at a fair price, as i stated, Id pick them all up day 1. But onwards to the future, then.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

If that are not porting anything then why are they porting and upgrading MH3? I mean maybe it isn't just porting something but still... Why say you aren't doing something as you currently are doing what you say you're not?

Magnet_Man018

Magnet_Man018 said:

Meh. Wasn't really interested in RE6 after its reviews.
I just want a new Megaman for the Wii U! Is that too much, Capcom? ;-;

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@sillygostly

Well Tecmo Koei didn't say anything about not bringing late ports to Wii U, in fact they did brought in better versions of Ninja Gaiden 3 and Warriors Orochi 3 for Wii U. I'm guessing maybe if there is a Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate version or something in the planing, then it's likely Wii U might see a port.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Keep looking forward Capcom. I don't need old games, I have a PS3 for that. Let's see a new Mega Man, a new Street Fighter! :D

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I have rather mixed feelings about this. I don't have any consoles other than a Wii and a Wii U but I did enjoy several titles on the PS2 many years ago and would love to see ports of some of the updated versions of those games released for PS3 such as the Onimusha trilogy (which I remember being specifically asked about in the recent Capcom survey) and I wouldn't mind seeing some other games I've missed out on if they're updated and ported with care and attention.

The big question though is how Capcom really sees the system. Are they not doing ports of old games because they're developing exclusives (other then MH) and giving the Wii U parity in future multi-platform releases or have they just decided they're not bothered? Time will tell.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Now this is a Capcom decision I can get behind! Sure, a port would be quick money, but I think most of Capcom's fanbase is a little tired of their ports as is. A new game, though, is definitely something I would invest my money in. It's been a long while since Capcom released a new IP, for instance (Dark Void was the last one, I think). If they could pull one off for the Wii U, I'd be immensely impressed. Sequel or spin-off would be fine, too, though.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Why not do both?!
I really wanna see RE5 and 6 on WiiU, there's a reason I don't own a PS360

BrainBoxLtd

BrainBoxLtd said:

Pretty strange decision considering how well Resident Evil 4 did on the Wii. The again, Capcom's been making plenty of weird decisions lately.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Welp, fudge. I was looking forward to seeing both RE5 and 6 on the Wii U since I don't have another console to play them on. Oh well.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I think most of Capcom's fanbase is a little tired of their ports as is.

Nintendo owners sure are tired of playing all those Marvel vs. Capcom and Devil May Cry games aren't they?

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

If anything, I'd take Dragon's Dogma with online co-op. I truly believe people don't know what they're missing with this one. Fantastic game.

Brando67854321

Brando67854321 said:

Damn it crapcom just put street fighter IV:AE on the vc arcade or something & pick a game outside of the poor selling monster hunter crapcom, my patience is running out!:P

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

Capcom didn't exactly have a bang up year. I was really impressed by Dragon's Dogma, but critics and User reviews said different. The resident evil series didn't do too well and the best of the franchise, Revelations, was already on the 3DS. I don't think its confusing that they won't be promoting their 2012 content. I think 2013 will be dramatically different. I've never played Monster Hunter, but now that's its an early release on my favorite system they'll earn my money.

evildevil97

evildevil97 said:

Really? People are complaining about this? Late ports are rarely as good as the originals anyway.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@evildevil97 Same here. This is good news, people! (As long as they actually do make original, new games.) Can't wait until devs start releasing info on their slate of new Wii U stuff for 2013. Hopefully sales figures and its potential are enough to get devs on-board....

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Good to know that at least Capcom isnt looking for the easy way out on bringing games to Wii U! But then again I'm not too surprised seeing as they make some of the best 3DS games! :)

shinokami

shinokami said:

It's capcom so who cares at this point?
The only games I really want ported are Bayonetta, Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Final Fantasy XIII saga. Everything else is irrelevant

NImH

NImH said:

Yeah... I'm not really into trying to brag about sloppy seconds on my Nintendo console. RE:Rev's episodic formula is epic and Ninty-exclusive (for the time being.)
Let's see some unique newstuff!

gavn64

gavn64 said:

how about a revelations sequel on 3ds and the original trilogy in hd on the wiiu eshop throw in resi 1.5 as well while your at it any good?

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@pntjr You already have 3 MML games. Tron Bonne.

And I agree with this decision. If there were late ports now, they couldn't focus on the better games like MH3GWIIU

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I think that putting Resident Evil 6 on the Wii U is a great way to improve the game's reputation, similar to Ninja Gaiden 3.
I'd also play at least 100 hours on any Capcom Fighting game they'd give us. Especially Street Fighter X Tekken.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I can't blame 'em. As much as i'd love to see a lot of non-Nintendo games on Ninty systems they'd have to do a lot to make me pay more than what they cost on these other systems.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

See, it's funny that he's saying that, seeing as a "port" of Resident Evil 6 WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN "LATE" AT ALL.

Whatever. Sounds like it sucks anyway. Jerks. >: (

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

Capcom: We're not porting any older games to Wii U and want to work on new games for the system,
Gamers: You did it all the time before, didn't you? Besides, what else do you have planned besides Monster Hunter?
Capcom: ....crap. They're onto us!

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

@sillygostly Tecmo Koei owns DOA5, not Capcom, and Tecmo hasn't said anything about not bringing late ports to the Wii U just yet. Heck, they already gave us a late port of Ninja Gaiden 3 that's better than the 360/PS3 versions. They also brought in Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper, which I believe is another late port.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Isn't this the company that said that RE4 would be a Gamecube exclusive? The company that ported RE2 and RE4 to any console under the sun? The company that releases "enhanced" versions of their hit games a few months after the vanilla edition appears?

He is even saying "in general" so they are not closing the door to that. My guess is that they are waiting for the user base to increase before announcing ports. Besides, as @Brainfox mentions, what else is in the making from them, in either 3DS or Wii U? A MH game for each, and that's it. They even put a survey about online titles and Wii U was one of the system choices!

AVahne

AVahne said:

So if we're not getting Dragon's Dogma...Dragon's Dogma 2?
Not like the games will be direct sequels story-wise, so Wii U owners shouldn't have problems getting a sequel to a game they didn't get.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I heard nothing but, at best, mediocre things about RE6, so I think I can manage. No biggie. I just hope the new games in the future will be good. Once upon a time, I consistently loved Capcom.

Doma

Doma said:

I played and finished RE6. The campaign REALLY sucks but it can be fun when playing co-op though. Best thing about the game was the extra content and new combat mechanics.

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

They should make a Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition for Wii U.

I thought Marvel VS. Capcom 3 was a letdown, 2 is a much better game.

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Brando67854321 just because you dont like Monster Hunter dosent mean its un popular.. it actuly happens to be one of capcoms most sucsesfull franchise's also MH tri Ultimate is not a port -_- its got a new story plot (from what i know) new monsrers new maps and alot more wepons so no NOT a port. also if you do not like the franchise do not join in chats about it

Volmun

Volmun said:

@Brando6785321 -- i own every MH game thats bean released in the UK so id know about haw it differs from Tri - as it is esentuly MH-G witch thay do for etch one and thay add a pile of new stuff so technically its MH Tri 2 + yes it sells best in JPN prity mutch everyone know's that -- haw about you do reserch befor you say in correct things apon things you blatantly do not know

Volmun

Volmun said:

so by youre logic every side scroling mario game is a port of the last

Rod64

Rod64 said:

I just want a Lollipop Chainsaw port.
I miss the SUDA 51 games on the Wii.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

So much for my dreams of playing RE6: Wii U Edition with pointer controls. Guess I'll just have to buy a junky used copy on the PS3 and deal with those
awful dual analog controls...Plus a power cable(because I lost mine) and component cables. ugh! I'm an RE nut job so I have to play it regardless of it's stinky mediocrity. I shall blaze through it like the speed racer. B-)

I'll admit though i'm much more interested in seeing the cutscenes, the characers back in action and how the story unfolds, not so much the actual game itself. After all, The demo was just terrible...This isn't resident evil anymore. it's a complete sell out. There's even a button that tells you where to go...WTF.

Anyways, i believe what that capcom represintitive said was a lie. Capcom i'm sure would love to get the most out of RE6...I'm sure there will be a Wii U Edition down the Mario pipe line. :p

luminalace

luminalace said:

This is all well and good if Capcom do end up bringing a substantial games lineup for Wii U. There are sounding like Konami, infamous for saying nicely that there are hardly going to bring anything to a Nintendo home console.

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

I wouldnt mind Dead Rising 3 on Wii U. I hated the 2nd, but think theres potiential in the franchise. I'd love a Dino Crisis reboot too, theres just not enough dinosaurs in games!

Banjogeek

Banjogeek said:

Dead Rising was made by the creator of Megaman he directed it. So I doubt we will see a DR game ever again.

JavierYHL

JavierYHL said:

Capcom is bringing all the wrong games to the wrong systems,mh on 3ds is really an omg idea...

Doma

Doma said:

@WaveBoy RE6's plot is terrible.. wouldn't be worth playing for that alone.
The gameplay mechanics are good (better than RE4/5), the game itself is just horrible. The campaign is way too long (so good luck “blazing through it”), much too linear and has a constant amount of irritating QTEs.

Sun

Sun said:

I need some ports along with new games. They can't hurt for people who does not own PS3 nor Xbox360.

chanman8878

chanman8878 said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!! PORT ULTIMATE MARVEL VS. CAPCOM 3 EVEN IF DIGITALLY!!!!!! That is LITERALLY the only reason why I created an account on this website, I was so very upset after not seeing anyone post about this wonderful fighting game. PLEASE CAPCOM. I BEG OF YOU.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I own 360, PS3 and Wii U; so I've already played most of Capcom's recent games and can say that it isn't much of a loss for the Wii U as most of their titles have been rather mediocre. Monster Hunter is by far the best Capcom game that has come out. I would like to see Okami HD ported though (with touch screen controls added), it should be pretty easy as it was on the Wii before.

As for other late ports from other companies, well I'd love to see DOA5 appear on the Wii U with free DLC and Mass Effect 1&2 on eShop.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Everybody here will rag on RE 6 while praising stuff like ZombiU which is basically the same thing, a flawed but still decent game. Regardless, missing RE 6 isn't actually a huge deal, it would've been nice to see a Nintendo home console get some Street Fighter though for the first time since the SNES days.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

I'll wager "Revelaitons" HD comes to Wii U. I'm fine with them not bringing any released games to Wii U. Bring on the new stuff! Though is there a chance Lost Planet 3 will come our way?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

@ThreadShadow

New stuff is always preferred for a new console, however in this case Capcom does have an older game that would be a nice addition. Super Street Fighter IV needs to be on the Wii U.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

@Gamer83
ZombiU gets praise because it's a good survival horror game despite a few rough edges. RE6 gets criticised even though it's a decent game because it's another 3rd person action entry from a series that actually used to be survival horror. It is better than RE5 though imo (but not as good as Revelaitons).