Feature: Time to Vote For Your Game of the Year

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

It won't be easy

As the end of the year approaches it can only mean one thing — annual awards. The Nintendo Life staff have been putting their heads together in recent days to determine the official NL winners in various categories but, of course, we want you to have your say as well.

It's really rather simple, choose your top three games in each of the categories below and email them, clearly marked in preference, to GOTY@nintendolife.com. Make sure that you show the categories clearly — to make our festive period a little more relaxing — and you can submit your choices in any categories you like, whether you opt for every one or just certain services and platforms. We've also listed some games, but these are merely suggestions to jog your memories; all have made it in by virtue of the fact that they arrived in at least one major region in 2012.

Best Wii U Retail

Best WiiWare

La Mulana
Horizon Riders
TNT Racers
Bobby Carrot Forever
Rush Rush Rally Racing

So there you have it; remember that these are just suggestions, so you can vote for other games as you see fit. You have until 23:59 on Saturday 29th December to submit your votes to GOTY@nintendolife.com, and the results will be published on New Years Eve. So, what are your favourites?

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

This is tough...but I'm thinking about voting for Batman for the Wii U retail games (Forgive me Mario). I knows it's a remake from a 2011 game, but I have really enjoyed it.

moomoo

moomoo said:

How in the world is there no Devil Survivor 2 on DS retail?! I understand this site is European based, but there's Xenoblade there, and that came out last year for you guys, so I'm having a hard time understanding why it's not listed. I get that it's all about suggestions, but still.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Why no Cave story? Also, I'm confused about this whole thing,.. So just 3 entries overall? Or 3 per category?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Please email these to GOTY@nintendolife.com, too. And you can vote for a top three, as long as the preferences are clear...

Doge

Doge said:

3ds retail: paper mario
3ds download:Denpa men
Ds: Pokemon conquest
Dsi shop: It all sucked
Wii: The Last Story
WiiWare: nothing interesting
Wii U shop: Little Inferno
Wii U: scribblenauts unlimited
These are my votes
hope ya like um!

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

God, why did you have to remind me about the fact that NOA didn't bring over Pandora's Tower? Talk about rubbing salt in an open wound.

moomoo

moomoo said:

@CanisWolfred I understand, but it just seems like an odd thing to omit, especially since there's only 5 games listed and one of them is also on 3DS. Actually, it was more just so people actually remembered that the game came out this year. I know it will lose pretty heavily to Pokemon, but hey, nothing wrong with trying.

SuperKMx

SuperKMx said:

Just a reminder to folks - as the article says:- "You have until 23:59 on Saturday 29th December to submit your votes to GOTY@nintendolife.com, and the results will be published on New Years Eve. "

TheRavingTimes

TheRavingTimes said:

How depressing, they forgot Kirby Dream Collection and Mass Effect 3. As a Kirby enthusiast I found Kirby Dream Collection to be a splash of fresh air in my life. Truly deserved a better reputation then it precedes. Mass Effect 3 is obvious despite it's lack of DLC content.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Kid Icarus Uprising is game of the decade.
I am sad that Ketzal's Corridors didn't make it on the 3DS eShop section though.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I don't see why people are complaing when the post merely lists suggestions of games.

justinj42

justinj42 said:

Dang. The 3DS eShop one is difficult. 3 games published by Nintendo, Night Sky, and Mutant Mudds? And I can only pick 3? Let the elimination process begin

bluecat

bluecat said:

People, the games listed are merely suggestions - they aren't your only choices. I guess the only rule would be the game had to have come out in 2012 on a Nintendo device.

Annnnyhow, votes sent in! :D

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Just to clarify any confusion, you can vote for three games in each category, just in case anyone missed in the article itself ;) Just make clear which is 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

Quite a few votes already in, so keep 'em coming!

SushiGummy

SushiGummy said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising for me. That game is just so, so good.

Edit: How could you guys forget about Kirby's Dream Collection? D:

RR529

RR529 said:

As much as I'd love to vote for Kingdom Hearts 3D & Paper Mario: Sticker Star, I haven't played them yet, so I'll vote for Kid Icarus: Uprising, Tales of the Abyss (write-in), & Metal Gear Solid 3D: Snake Eater (write-in).

As for 3DS eShop, I'll vote Denpa Men, Sakura Samurai, & Cave Story (write-in).

GreenDream

GreenDream said:

Xenoblade Chronicles, La-Mulana, Zero Escape, NightSky, Devil Survivor 2, and Petit Computer as my #1 choices in each category.

moomoo

moomoo said:

@GreenDream 0_o You took my list right out of my mouth! Except for NightSky (I'm voting for Cave Story, but dang, that's really close, especially considering same publisher and everything).

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I would vote for TLOZ: Majora's Mask :P
Seriously, best game I played this year.

As for the current nominations...dunno which to pick...

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Can I vote for a Wii U retail game in the Wii U eShop category since there are a lot of retail games on the eShop? Or is it limited to eShop exclusives? Just checking.

Michael_Caboose

Michael_Caboose said:

Best Wii U Retail: ZombiU
Best Wii U eShop: Trine 2
Best 3DS Retail: Resident Evil: Revelations
Best 3DS eShop: Picross E
Best Wii Retail: The Last Story

mozie

mozie said:

hmmm wii u retail is difficult, I think mass effect 3 should be in there somewhere if ports are included, as it stands its goty material on any system regardless of which version is the best, and the wii u version is really excellent. either that or zombi u for 1 & 2 and nintendoland for 3

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I already emailed these but here's my votes just to show what I voted for to everyone :P
Wii U Retail:
1st) Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed; 2nd) New Super Mario Bros. U; 3rd) Nintendo Land
Wii U eShop:
1st) Nano Assault Neo; 2nd) Trine 2; 3rd) Puddle
3DS Retail:
1st) Paper Mario: Sticker Star; 2nd) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D; 3rd) Rhythm Thief & The Emperor's Treasure
3DS eShop:
1st) Crashmo; 2nd) Hana Samurai: Art Of The Sword; 3rd) Art of Balance TOUCH!
DS Retail:
1st) Inazuma Eleven 2; 2nd) Pokemon Conquest; 3rd) Pokemon White 2
Wii Retail:
1st) Xenoblade Chronicles; 2nd) The Last Story; 3rd) Fortune Street
WiiWare:
1st) La Mulana; 2nd) Horizon Riders; 3rd) TNT Racers

XD375

XD375 said:

Is Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed really this forgettable? ;_;

MarioKenny1992

MarioKenny1992 said:

for now I'll say Kid Icarus Uprising, though I really wanna play New Super Mario Bros. U, Paper Mario Sticker Star, and Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed. I do like New Super Mario Bros. 2, but it's kind of underwhelming compared to the other modern Mario games. I do love the coin rush mode though :) oh and I also think Mario Party 9 is pretty good! though it's different from the other Mario Party games I still had fun

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Kid Icarus definitely gets my vote. As far as the Eshop goes, crashmo won me over the day I got it.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

For the 3dsware, I don't have a clue on which one I should submit, since most are acceptable downloads.

BenAV

BenAV said:

Xenoblade Chronicles didn't even come out here this year, but I gave it my top Wii vote anyway considering it's waaaaaaay better than any other Wii game that came out this year (not to take anything away from The Last Story) and deserves to be named the best.

Chobi

Chobi said:

Resident Evil: Revelations is easily the best Nintendo 3DS game of 2012. I would have picked Kid Icarus: Uprising but because of the controls and the fact that I'm left handed. I couldn't pick it. Oh, Best 3DS eShop game? i would have to go with The Denpa Men: They Came by Wave. The Last Story is my pick for 2012.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@ThomasBW84 Argh, I forgot to note what my #1's are. :( It's in order from top being #1, #2 in the middle and #3 on the bottom, but I failed to note that in my reply.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Forget this, If you are not going to include Mario Kart 7 then there is obviously
something wrong with you :l . A part from that the rest of the list is fine.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

^Read, man, read! It's mentioned in the article, and about 5 times in the comments that those were just suggestions. You can vote for whatever you want.

UKFA

UKFA said:

Best Wii U Retail : I would give it to Nintendo Land, because i was pleasantly surprise at how much fun and depth the game had, but considering most ( me included ) got it with the Deluxe set, i'm giving my vote to New Super Mario Bros. U. Great launch title and the best "New" in the series.

Best Wii U eshop : Unfortunately haven't had a chance to play any of them, yet.

Best 3DS Retail: Although I really enjoyed Paper Mario and I thought Resident Evil was amazing, I'm giving it to Kid Icarus Uprising. The game was an incredible labor of love that was beautiful and an absolute blast to play.

Best 3DS eshop : This is between The Denpa Men, Crashmo and NightSky to me. Crashmo is a great sequel to the Pushmo, and NightSky is a cleverly crafted and addictive game, but i'm giving my vote to The Denpa Men. The great use of 3DS functionality, addictive collecting and dungeon crawling made this one stand out to me.

Best DS Retail: It's feels strange to admit this, but i'm giving it to Pokemon Conquest. HUGE Pokemon fan, and loved black 2, but Pokemon Conquest was a surprising cross-over that worked, was lengthy, addictive and challenging, not to mention fresh.

Best DSiWare : I barely played DSiWare titles this year, it's too bad.

Best Wii Retail: As much as i want to give to Xenoblade ( and as much as i know that it'll win) I'm giving it to last story. Not only is it amazing, but it's localisation at it's finest, unlike Xenoblade whose availability was sadly limited.

Best WiiWare : La Mulana. Poor Game is underrated.

Happy Holidays and Voting Nintendo Life and Gamers!

BenAV

Followed by Little Inferno and Nano Assault Neo

Wii Retail - Xenoblade Chronicles, another no brainer
Followed by The Last Story and Project Zero 2

The rest - Nothing too notable, didn't bother voting

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Blaze If it doesn't then it'll probably just be due to the fact that it was only released in North America this year.
I still voted for it anyway, considering I'll vote for it every time I get the chance.
Now it can be the best Wii games of both last year and this year for me.
It should still win the Wii category, because there isn't much competition, even though The Last Story is really good.

gundam00

gundam00 said:

Why do we have to email you? Why didn't you just make a poll or accept comment submissions?

3DS Retail
#1: Kid Icarus Uprising
#2: Resident Evil Revelations

This was such a close tie for #1, but the #1 spot went to Kid Icarus because of replay value and daily spot-pass weapons.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Wii:
The Last Story

3DS:
Resident Evil: Revelations

Wii U:
New Super Mario Bros. U

With Wii U the choice was pretty easy for Wii there were only two games worth a damn it's really just a matter if you prefer Xenoblade or Last Story. 3DS is the toughest category, I loved RE: Revelations so I went with that but there's probably around 10 games on the system this year that you could make a legit case for being the best.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

I can only really go by what I've played so here goes:

Wii U - New Super Mario Bros. U (honorable mention Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed)
Wii U eShop - Trine 2: Director's Cut (honorable mention Nano Assault Neo)
3DS - Kid Icarus: Uprising (although I'm sure if I played Virtue's Last Reward that would get my vote)
3DS eShop - CrashMo (lots to choose from)
DS - Pokemon Conquest (over 150 hours clocked in before I stopped playing and I was no where near finished X_X)
Wii - Xenoblade (no contest even though The Last Story was also awesome)

Hokori

Hokori said:

Best 3DS eShop: Paper Mario SS
Best WiiU eShop: NSMBU
Best WiiU Retail: Nintendo Land
Best 3DS Retail: Kid Icarus Uprising
Best WiiWare: La-Mulana
Best DSiWare: Petit Computer
Best DS: Pokemon Black 2

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

La-Mulana, Xenoblade Chronicles, Batman Arkham City, Kid Icarus Uprising, Fluidity.

I'm not sure about the rest of the categories because I haven't played to many from them.

Bucho

3DS shop - NightSky
WiiU - NintendoLand

a_binfahad

a_binfahad said:

Wii U Retail : New Super Mario Bros. U
Wii U eShop : Trine 2
3DS Retail : Resident Evil Revelations (it WAS AMAZING)
3DS eShop : Colors 3D
DS Retail : Pokemon Black 2 / White 2
DsiWare : GO Series Undead Storm
Wii Retail : Xenoblade Chronicles
WiiWare : La Mulana

Rod64

Rod64 said:

We should vote for 1, not 3. Well, anyway, I can't believe Pikmin 2 is not on the suggestions for wii retail game.

defrb

defrb said:

Wii U Retail:

Wii: Xenoblade

Bucho

Bucho said:

@Rod64 "It's really rather simple, choose your top three games in each of the categories below and email them, clearly marked in preference, to GOTY@nintendolife.com. Make sure that you show the categories clearly"
so yeah, you have to vote for your top 3 for each category.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

My GOTY is Kid Icarus Uprising. However, I think Xenoblade Deserves it. I have 7 Wii U games and I rate Nintendo Land the best.

Sun

Sun said:

Very few Wii games this year. Not only that, same for Nintendo 3DS, and huge disappointments such as New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario Sticker Star. I can only hope 2013 is better for games.

Cengoku

Cengoku said:

Best Wii game is Beat the Beat. Best 3ds retail: animal crossing (sorry i own à japanese 3ds) this is Nintendo's fault.. Best 3ds eshop: art of balance.

RadioShadow

3DS: Resident Evil Revelations
Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U
Wii: Xenoblade Chronicles
DS: Pokemon Black & White 2

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

My vote's for Resident Evil: Revelations.
A console like game for the handheld, really shows off what the 3DS can do.

SubZer023

SubZer023 said:

Dang this is Hard Resident Evil Revelation or Kid Icarus the Both have Amazing Story lines and Amazing online U have Raid Mode in the people who have revelation Plays Raid mode like A BO$$ trust Me But the you Got kid Icarus online LvD and then So much wepons to Choose out of and on Top of that they Got Free For up to 6 Players Wow idk But for eshop- oh thats MutantMudds All the way Bro XD

pntjr

pntjr said:

I voted.
(Was there any good DSiWare this year? I thought this year was the year of DSiShovelWare.)

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

Wii U: New Super Mario Bros. U
3DS: Paper Mario Sticker Star
3DS eShop: Crashmo
Wii: Skylanders Giants

Emaan

Emaan said:

Wii U - Nintendo Land
3DS - Kid Icarus: Uprising

Wii - Rhythm Heaven Fever
DS - Pokemon Black 2 + White 2

Azaris

Azaris said:

Is there anyway to vote without email. my browser doesn't support my email...

Henmii

2: Kid icarus uprising
3: Thearhythm final fantasy

3DSware

1: Fallblox
2: Mutant mudds
3: vvvvvv

No Wii u or Wii u e-shop for me, since I don't have a Wii u yet! And no Xenoblade chronicles, since that was a 2011 game for me (I am European)!