Nintendo Download: 18th November 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

U better believe it

It's a special Nintendo Download update today, as lucky gamers in North America can enter a brave new world of HD offerings on Wii U. There are five download-only titles to choose from and a giddying range of retail options, which shows how seriously Nintendo's taking the idea of selling us games without boxes. Let's get to it.

Wii U Download Software

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte, $19.99) — This popular and visually stunning title makes its way to Wii U with some content exclusive to the platform, and will also allow three player co-op either in online or local play. It's an epic quest in which a Wizard, Thief and portly Knight battle all-manner of demons and evil creatures. We're getting geared up for the adventure to bring you a review, and in the meantime you can read our Trine 2: Director's Cut first impressions, and get to know the developers in our interview with Frozenbyte.

Nano Assault Neo (Shin'en Multimedia, $9.99) — It's an all-new HD, fully fledged entry in the Nano Assault series, which started off so strongly on 3DS. It has bright, gorgeous visuals with dual stick movement and aiming, with your objective being to race around human cells blasting everything in sight. We're ready to dive in and review, while you can see what we thought in our Nano Assault Neo first impressions and learn more in our interview with Shin'en Multimedia, in which they discuss this Wii U project.

Little Inferno (Tomorrow Corporation, $14.99) — This title is from a team including those that brought us World of Goo — with which it shares its art style — and Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure, and is possibly the most abstract and intriguing of the launch titles on offer. Check out our Little Inferno preview for a glimpse of what it's all about, and we'll bring you a review soon.

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, $14.99) — With a gorgeous art style, this is a flying game with a 2D zoomed-out perspective, which has a strong emphasis on multiplayer through a variety of modes. Our team are swooping in for a review, but you can check out our interview with Broken Rules for more insight into how this game came to be on Wii U.

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition (WayForward Technologies, $9.99) — This one has perhaps had the least hype, but will be high on the list of a number of 3DS download enthusiasts. This reproduces the levels from the 3DS eShop release in glorious HD, but will also include a "Hyper" version of each to test more skilful gamers. We'll be switching into gear to bring you a review, soon.

Wii U Retail Downloads

There are 17 retail titles available to download from the Wii U eShop right off the bat, so you'll need to excuse us if we don't provide a description for each one. There's plenty of choice...

New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo, $59.99)
Nintendo Land (Nintendo, $59.99)
Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft, $59.99)
ZombiU (Ubisoft, $59.99)
Scribblenauts Unlimited (Warner Bros, $59.99)
Darksiders II (THQ, $59.99)
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two (Disney Interactive Studios, $59.99)
Madden NFL 13 (EA, $59.99)
FIFA 13 (EA, $59.99)
Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge (Nintendo, $59.99)
Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft, $49.99)
Rabbids Land (Ubisoft, $49.99)
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (SEGA, $39.99)
SiNG Party (Nintendo, $49.99)
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper (Tecmo Koie, $59.99)
Game Party Champions (Warner Bros, $49.99)
ESPN Sports Connection (Ubisoft, $49.99)
Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 (Ubisoft, $49.99)

So there you have it, lots and lots of games that can be downloaded straight onto your Wii U (and hard drive). Let us know what you think in the comments below, and vote in the poll to show which of the five download-only games you're planning to buy first.

What will you be downloading first on Wii U? (232 votes)

Trine 2: Director's Cut

24%

Nano Assault Neo

12%

Little Inferno

20%

Chasing Aurora

Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition

Nothing for me

31%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Magnet_Man018

Magnet_Man018 said:

Very nice launch titles! Either way, I'll only get Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros U and perhaps ZombiU. Maybe Trine 2, but I'm still not very sure.

BenAV

BenAV said:

What a good list to start with.
When the Wii U hits the PAL regions I plan on downloading all five of those.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

It's so annoying that the update is 5GB. It may be tomorrow before I can actually play the Wii U! No joke, I'm being serious. My download speed is incredibly slow! This is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAB

MAB said:

That is definitely an impressive start for the eShop and I hope it keeps on getting better ;) can't wait for the VC goods to kick into action... Hurry up the 30th :)

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

Hurry up the NBN, MAB... 5Gb will take anywhere between 2 and 4 hours on my ADSL 1, assuming Nintendo has a mirror set up in Oz / Perth...

Ahhh, now before I go, if GC titles come to Wii U VC, then there better be Animal Crossing in there somewhere so my better half can warm to the new console... :)

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Wow. Some of those prices are higher than I was expecting. I think I'll be waiting for sales on Trine 2, Little Inferno, and Chasing Aurora. I wanted all 3, but not for the combined price of a full retail game. Thankfully, according to IGN and Frozenbyte, developers can have sales on the Wii U as they wish.

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

That retail download list is insane. For the delayed releases on Xbox live and PSN, I didn't know if there was something fundamentally wrong wit te concept. Nintendo must sure not think so!

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

Never been one for graphics, opting more for gameplay but good Lord is Trine 2 gorgeous. Day 1 buy without a doubt.
I'm not ashamed to say I'm buying it based on looks alone.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

This makes me wonder if future Wii U updates will be on the regular Thursdays? I'm a little concerned about the pricing as the Australian prices will be much higher than these...

BenAV

BenAV said:

@Mario_Party_Fan_999 Yeah... I'll probably put about $100 aside in my account ready for day one so I can buy all five if they all make it here straight away, and I expect that that'll probably just cover it.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I'd download all 5 of those DL games for WiiU. Wiiuware! Vey expensive though (am I allowed to say that?!)

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

still waiting to get the wii U. i had to cancel my preorder so I'm waiting until the next shipment or hoping that walmart might still have some by december 10th

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

What about the transfer? can you do a review of this option? also a review of the new eshop presentation with the VC catalogue.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I looked for the demo. No dice as of a few hours ago. It's in the box for Xmas morning now.

I was sort of blown away scrolling through all the retail games just sitting there ready to download. SO tempting. I think we'll need a hard drive for sure.

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

Waiting until the 30th will be a torture now! When it arrives at european shores I'd love to have all of them but that's impossible, so I'm going to pick up Trine 2!

rodoubleb

rodoubleb said:

Trine 2 is 14.99 on steam, regular price. You'll probably be able to get it for less than $5 during Holiday Steam Sales. It's bad as in terrible.

Malic

Malic said:

@rodoubleb what's so terrible about it ? I've been hearing nothing but positive things. I don't want to waste my money on a bad game :

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@rodoubleb Nice to know.
We're talking Wii U here though not PC. Please don't sully other peoples fun or excitement. For some, this is a whole new game experience. M'kay? The price for everything included is more than reasonable.

Your opinion, we respect but it's spoken from beneath a bridge. :)

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Expensive even though the prices on other services are about the same? Quit griping and enjoy your Wii U!! >:[

Manfred

Manfred said:

Thanks to everyone who tried out 'Nano Assault Neo'. Don't forget to invite a friend for two player mode!

Hokori

Hokori said:

None of the digital exclusive interest me ATM, but I will DL NSMBU soon

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

though I'm definitely going to get both trine and nano assault.. I gotta pick one... decisions... :(

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

also that is an insane download list... I want my disc fixed though... but the convience of just downloading games is very tempting.... :O

Mizore

Mizore said:

Is Little Inferno about $15? Guess I'm gonna have to stick with Nintendo Land until December.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Our man Ron has gone through the eShop in detail and can't find the Rayman Legends demo that's apparently coming today. The day is young, of course.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Wow, Nintendo had SEVENTEEN full retail games for DL DAY 1!!! Hats off to them, I am floored. From a quantitative gaming perspective I don't see how anybody could have asked for or hoped for more than that, plus the 4 DL only games - on the launch DAY.

Trine 2, BTW - is a fun puzzler side-scrolling 3 player game that's looks truly beautiful in a fairy fantasy kind of way. Possibly somewhat boring solo though.

Request - In the future can NL list GB info for DLs of games and demos as storage is going to be an issue, especially for Basic owners. I know 17 games and 4 DLS is a lot for launch day but for future releases.

Oh, and thanks to everyone at NL for working on a Sunday. Much appreciated.

brooks83

brooks83 said:

Anybody able to confirm yet if games that were removed from the Wii Shop will transfer over to Wii U? This is definately a great start for eshop

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

^ ohhhh this is a good question now that the DKC trilogy has been removed. thanks in advance to anyone with the answer :3

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Does Little inferno really have enough content to cost $14.99? Also, Chasing aurora certainly doesn't look like its worth that amount, it looks incredibly boring anyway.

Ren

Ren said:

very impressive. I'm pleasantly surprised. It's all a little expensive but great that it's there so we can see right off if people will be willing to pay for it all. I may have to go get one of these pretty soon.

Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya said:

@Strongo9

Well for the original game, expansions, new improved controls, new multiplayer modes, new levels, support for Gamepad, Wii Remotes, Nunchucks, Classic Controllers, support for accomplishments, patching support, Online and offline 4 player coop and Miiverse support, I'd say it's more than worth it. :)

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Almost makes me want a WiiU!

Almost.

I'll be waiting for A- a price drop and B- a new Zelda game.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nothing for me. I wont be getting mine till tomorrow and than I will be waiting for Christmas morning for my son to open it. Think I will be picking up Epic Mickey 2 on 3DS to help ease the wait.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

Probably Little Inferno, but I want to see some reviews first. My Wii U is finally all set up and I absolutely love it so far without even playing a game yet haha, it's about time to play some though. Nintendo Land, NSMBU, Scribblenauts and ZombiU :D

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I work at Amazon.com and held a copy of New Super Mario Bros. U in my hands yesterday. The Wii U is pretty lackluster. I feel only the Xbox keeps improving with age. The PS3 is going nowhere and the Wii U is playing catch-up.

Ren

Ren said:

I know people are all excited about WiiU but it's only exciting if you've never played an HD game before (and you're determined to love it since you spent all your allowances on it). At Nintendo prices it's going to get old fast and hard to compete. Until there is an exclusive Zelda or Metroid, this has all been done before, sorry to say. A shiny new interface is nice, but just a working online system has been done AND nailed just right already in other places; for a lot cheaper too.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

the Wii U is playing catch-up.

Yes, but how long until it catches up and overtakes the XBOX 360?

The "720" and PS4 aren't even announced yet.

Ren

Ren said:

about 1000 games catch up; AND games with consistent, reliable, plug and play online modes. I don't doubt Nintendo can do it, but for now I want to wait and see. The day 1 need for an external drive is a little of a silly embarrasment for claiming to embrace download sales; but then not actually support it in the system itself without a goofy looking add-on? not good.
I don't mind myself, but for the uninitiated new buyers that plug in and are ready to spend money online until they see "not enough space" and wonder "huh? now what?", that is a LOT of needlessly lost sales.
Average consumers in the US still don't prefer attached storage as a common option, much as it's becoming neccassary. Maybe in Japan, but not here. I've been aware of managing files that way only as a video editor, but I won't expect any average person I know to have external drives attached to all thier stuff, it's just not practical especially for a machine designed to be "all-in-one" entertainment but missing the most crucial element in the box.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@Ren I've played the other HD consoles and I must say I didn't like the HD at all for me it's the games (and I don't get how not caring about graphics makes anyone a fanboy?) and for me the games are SSBU, NSMBU, Zelda, Metroid, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, and the catch up titles, which already makes me glad I didn't buy a PS360

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

So everything is roughly the same price as PSN, thats good. But is Little Inferno worth the $15 is another matter so I'll be waiting for the reviews(CGR in particular).

Why is it that everyone who proclaims been there done that seem to conveniently forget all the other reasons to get the Wii U besides HD? Yes, HD is nothing new and Wii U doesn't have even half the library of current gen consoles despite just coming out but those "catchup" titles are more for Nintendo only gamers and anyone who hasn't picked them up yet and are getting Wii U, so feel free to ignore them.

I agree with @Ren about the the need for external drives being an unnecessary put off for some, especially those expecting to just plug n' play. Theres a reason so many people don't game on PCs.

RR529

RR529 said:

Nothing for me, because I don't have a Wii U :P (didn't actually vote, since that wouldn't be fair)

The DL games do seem quite expensive, though. Does anyone know how the prices compare to the DL prices on the other HD systems?

If I remember correctly, both Portal & Battlefield 1943 on my 360 were both around $12. the $15 & $20 games on here really came as a suprise, IMO.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@NTELLIGENTMAN From what I've read from developers, the Wii U eShop is better is many respects than the Xbox and Playstation equivalents.

@Manfred I'll be buying it as soon as it's available in Europe! Will it make launch?

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

Trine 2 is the only one that I absolutely must have. And I won't be downloading any retail games - I can't resell downloads.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

My Wii U refuses to play discs. I can't play Nintendo Land on it because of that, so I'm just stuck with NSMBU until I send it in for repair.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Cr1TiKaL I know this sounds stupid, but did you let the discs update, or whatever its called when you put it in to play for the 1st time?

Malic

Malic said:

@Ren dude I own ps3 Xbox360 and use to game on PC I've had pretty much every gaming console ever made at one point or another and I'm loving the Wii u especially now that I can game and watch some football games on TV at the same time not to mention the Wii u controller feels perfect I see nothing but good things in the future from the Wii u. I have to say I'm impressed and if graphics are your thing you shouldn't be gaming on a console in the first place

Henmii

Henmii said:

How much does Trine 2 cost on other systems? Because on Wii u it seems quite expensive!

brooks83

brooks83 said:

@DarkEdi - VC games are not downloadable from the eShop. You have to go into Wii Mode, get the game from the Wii shop and then you can only play it in Wii Mode.

WarioFan63

WarioFan63 said:

@Henmii Trine 2 is $15 on other systems
Trine 2 on Wii U comes with the $8 DLC already as part of the game along with some other exclusive features and modes.
Hence, Director's Cut

Samholy

Samholy said:

i must say im impressed with the launch titles. too bad it was not the same case with the 3DS. looks like theyve learned not to screw us around :-p

anyway,dont have a WiiU and dont plan to get one. yet.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Once I get one of these bad boys, I'm getting New Super Mario Bros. U, ZombieU, and Nintendo Land. Not sure if I'm going strictly download though.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Yeah, this is brilliant, but PRICE is a huge issue for me. Sonic ASRT is at a decent price though TBF.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"Trine 2 is $15 on other systems
Trine 2 on Wii U comes with the $8 DLC already as part of the game along with some other exclusive features and modes"

Okay, that means we won't get scammed. That's nice to hear! Thanks for the answer!

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

@Knuckles I put in the disc, and it says, "The disc is invalid. Bla bla bla." It doesn't recognize any of my games, including Wii ones. I have a download of NSMBU so I know about the update thing.
@Malic I updated it immediately.

Henmii

Henmii said:

I must say that the e-shop makes a pretty strong start. Hopefully the same will happen in Europe!

Let's see what's interesting: Trine 2, Little inferno, Nano assault, maybe even Chasing Aurora. No Mighty switch force, since I already have it on 3DS. I wonder if it also includes the bonus-levels you could download for the 3DS version.

Also: A lot of retail-games available as downloads so soon! Incredibly expensive, but it did surprise me nonetheles!