Young Boy Thinks Gameboy Micro Is The Latest Nintendo Handheld

Posted by Orla Madden

Kids will believe anything these days

We've something to give you a little giggle this weekend, with the sweet tale of a young boy who believed that the Gameboy Micro was the latest Nintendo handheld on the market.

Gamer dad Andy Robertson and his son were walking past a second hand store when the youngster spotted a Gameboy Micro sitting in the window. He was somehow convinced that this handheld console, which was actually released in 2005, was an upgrade to the 3DS; and made sure he would get his hands on it one day.

He began some household chores, and little after a month, succeeded in gaining enough money to go out and purchase the handheld. What comes as quite a surprise, is that the realisation that this was not in fact a 3DS upgrade didn't seem to phase Andy's son.

His enthusiasm could not be punctured, and was overwhelmed when the shop assistant gave him WarioWare Twisted! and Super Mario Advance 2. According to him theses games are proof that the device is recent, as they are ‘'too good to be on the DS".

He also convinced his classmates and brother that they should put the device on their Christmas wishlist this year.

If there's no increase in 3DS sales towards the end of this year, you'll know exactly why.

[via wired.com, twitter.com]

Related Games

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

Stupid young boys, sabatoging Nintendo's 3DS sales by feeding the evil second hand market with his hard-earned cash. I would almost feel bad for the lad, if he wasn't such an oblivious gaming glutton.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

Ignorance is bliss! It really is true. Dumb people are cute when they're dumb.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

It's pretty cute to me. Reminds me of when I thought the GBC was the king of everything when it was in my hands.

He'll learn soon enough, but for now, ignorance is truly bliss for this lad.

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

Kids say the darndest things! With their hippin' and their hoppin' and their bippin' and their boppin' so they don't know what the jazz is all about, yazee?

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

@AltDotNerd: You just made my day!

Pokemon!? Pokemon with the poke and the mon and the thing where the guy comes out of the thing, and he makes a fraaagh fr fra aagh aagh aagh!

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

I actually would have gotten a gameboy micro rather than a 3DS :P

Why didn't I did? I couldn't find someone selling the gameboy micro...

RR529

RR529 said:

Reminds me of my youth, when all I had was a GB Pocket, and everyone else had GBCs.

Just like that kid though, I didn't care that I didn't have the latest gadget. I could play awesome titles like Solar Striker, Pokémon Red & Silver, and Kirby's Dream Land, and that's all that mattered to me.

Good for him.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@SanderEvers I was thinking the same thing.

Strange way to get into retro gaming but they're good games all the same. Too bad for him though the 3DS can emulate GBA games & WarioWare Twisted! would be possible too since the 3DS has an accelerometer in it... If only Nintendo would stop being lazy & release some GBA games for all of us to buy :P

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

If I didn't know better I would have thought that this was a relic form the 80's with that design.I remember reading a comment on here from someone who thought it was a prototype DS,correct me if I'm wrong?

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Wario Ware Twisted really should come to the 3DS, it has the hardware to do it ya know!

Raiko

Raiko said:

Reminds me of when I was younger. When you weren't following the hype of the most recent machines, and when I was no more impressed with the first Sonic the Hedgehog than I was Paperboy. At least he'll enjoy the games for what they are, rather than being distracted by the hype of the unreleased.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Reminds Me how I played the gane boy for years before ever seeing or hearing of a gba or a gba-sp. :) I subscribed to nintendo power a year later, so problem solved. ;)

AutumnShantel

AutumnShantel said:

I still play my Game Boy Micro! When I was in high school, my friends didn't understand why I had gotten one when I had a DS... lol

TheInvisibleTor

TheInvisibleTor said:

I'd probably get one of these depending on the price. I'd still remember playin super mario advance and pokemon leafgreen on gba.....then i sold, and typing this comment on my 3ds.

Cevan

Cevan said:

He's actually a Sony agent in disguise, hired to sabotage 3DS sales this year by convincing everyone the Gameboy Micro is more recent and that they should purchase that instead.

KAHN

KAHN said:

how old is this kid? oh, and you misspelled "gave" in paragraph 4. it should say the shop assistant gave him, not game. :P

Doge

Doge said:

.....heh heh heh
HAhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! thats hilarious! and stupid......

Nintenzo

Nintenzo said:

I have a fiery orange Gameboy Micro. I love it :D
People always ask me what it is, and they don't believe it's a Gameboy.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

He's just a kid, give him some slack. He's definitely correct about WarioWare Twisted! being so great, he should get a cookie for that. I think it's the best of the WarioWare series.

When I was younger and had to choose between the Micro and SP, I went for the SP because it had better lighting and I thought the Micro's smallness would be too much. The Mirco would've been a neat collectable now, but some things just don't happen.

I want to know what store it was where this kid found a Game Boy Micro. They're not very common these days.

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

Its plausible. I grew up thinking that the SEGA Genesis was the newest console back in the gamecube/ps2/xbox era, with out knowing that those other systems existed.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

I think this kid is stubborn, not dumb. It sounds like he's convinced himself that it is the newest thing and refuses to believe otherwise.
Kids these days...

dustin_g

dustin_g said:

micro is awesome, a lot of people missed out on it, it is so small you dont even notice it is in your pocket, go get one!

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

The micro is awesome and these games are great, so he's smarter than you think.

luminalace

luminalace said:

The micro may not have sold well but boy I loved it! It was so cool and even had interchangeable faceplates...why Nintendo never followed suit with the feature on the 3DS beats me!

Emaan

Emaan said:

Some GBA games are too good to be on the 3DS. In a way. I find this very amusing though. Someone get this kid a 3DS XL!

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

The effect of Twitter on Entertainment News..... this was originally posted on Wired in April. Then random girl tweets it out, and all the game sites pick it up. Interesting.
An awesome story. Just funny how and when things like this make the rounds.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I wanted the Famicom Micro so bad, but always had too many bills. I guess now is the time to start hitting up my local used game shops for one.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

That was one of the best "mistakes" this kid could have made. I bought my Micro a little over 5 years ago, and that was my most recent handheld purchase. I seriously doubt I'll ever buy another handheld game system because I am more than satisfied with my Micro. I still buy GBA games on a regular basis.

BudDudSlash

BudDudSlash said:

Love my Famicom Micro! I'll get mine charging today. Thanks kid! And since I just lost my ambassador 3DS the other day, I may as well trick myself too.

SonicMario

SonicMario said:

I'm sorry, but that kid is an idiot. Does he know what graphics are?? I have a little brother and he likes games like I do, and I taught him about graphics when he was six. He already could tell what graphics were good and bad, he just didn't know the term.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

I like this kid. Although if I was his dad I might need to edumacate him. :3

Gameboy Micro sales surpass Nintendo 3DS 2 to 1

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

You gotta give the kid some credit, he knows whats up. As long as the games are fun it doesn't matter what you play them on. I get just as excited when I find retro goodies at thrift stores as I do the latest games and consoles.

I'd like to see the look on his face when he finds out that not only is it not new but that its quite the collectable and many gamers would be green with envy. I'm rather surprised the store held onto it that long though.

Markoss4

Markoss4 said:

I didnt there was a gb micro and that this one is newer than the advance but I dont kno why but it looks cheaper.

pariah164

pariah164 said:

Seeing as this is the one Nintendo handheld I don't have in my collection, I'm a bit jealous. What a find!

Hokori

Hokori said:

Oddly enough this never happened to me, I was one of the first to have a DS back in 5th grade and people were like awww cool :o I just got them for the recently announce Pokemon D/P games that didn't come out far another 2 and a half years...

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I'm surprised at some of these comments. He's just a child, guys. If you're really that fast to call a child "stupid" or such, I doubt you'd have the patience to be a parent.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

Is it seriously enough to call a little kid stupid or an idiot ?

Wow the irony of some of the comments. He's a kid, do you honestly think he cares about any of the stuff you just said about " OMG the graphics"

The fact that the kid got a handheld that is very rare and was only in production for a hot second is quite good despite him being wrong about the 3DS being outdated.

He's a kid he only cares about playing games, I'm sure he could careless about uber graphics and features.

My god fanboys are ridiculous.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

The only reason I never got one is because it couldn't play my small collection of GB games. Though I must say this kid did one hell of an overhaul with his cognitive dissonance....also not everyone is suited to be a parent these days.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I wonder how much he actually payed for it being as hard to find as it is, after all it took him a little over a month to save for it. Being from a thrift store theres no telling how much they charged for it, I've seen regular GBAs go for around $10 but they wouldn't know what its worth.

Xtremetdifan

Xtremetdifan said:

SonicMario said:I'm sorry, but that kid is an idiot. Does he know what graphics are??
I say: sir, HOW DARE YOU CALL A LITTLE KID AN IDIOT.>:O I think cave story ds graphices are Boss, Does that make me an idiot?

k8sMum

k8sMum said:

@X the Fox Does that make me an idiot?

one has to be careful asking questions like that here: there are now those with attitudes that will answer.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Bought my Japanese Famicom Micro NEW last year for $90, price soared for new devices after that. This article is making me want to make a custom faceplate even more!

Kid probably thought the Micro was the latest Nintendo handheld because it was so well designed and so well built. Really helps that it's the only handheld with a metal casing and also is the most attractive Nintendo handheld ever created bar none. Basically I just really love this thing, wish I could get the cobalt blue Final Fantasy 4 Micro that only Japan got so I would have both a red and blue Micro. It's one of those handhelds where you just want to own more than one of.

dudey300Staff

dudey300 said:

@Knuckles Thanks for pointing that out dude, sorted now! And thanks for the welcome, happy to be part of a great community!

blackjim

blackjim said:

When he's grown up he's the one whos gonna be laughing at the haters cuz he'll have a rare micro

Dodger

Dodger said:

I have no problem with the kid using a gameboy micro. It is amusing, but there are some great games for it.

Wait...Nintendo fans saying he shouldn't like the system because of the graphics? I like Nintendo (more then I really should), but the Wii is underpowered compared to the other systems, the DS was underpowered compared to everything and the 3DS is underpowered compared to the Vita. You guys should know that doesn't matter if the gameplay is good and the game isn't ugly.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

I get the feeling the people calling this kid 'stupid' are kids themselves. Children can be unnecessarily cruel to one another :(

That said, this kid made a great choice! The Micro is a fun little system, you can hide it damn near anywhere, and the GBA has a pretty solid library of games to choose from.

Boyoshi

Boyoshi said:

I feel bad for this kid :(

Although he did get some good games and a good handheld from it...

Omega

Omega said:

This story is brilliant, so full of twists and turns and unexpected drama. Its amazing.

GrumpyGoomba

GrumpyGoomba said:

I remember when I used to sneak my micro in school and play it never got caught.I can't believe hes never seen a 3ds commercial on tv though maybe he just doesn't watch tv.Either way funny story.

shredmeister

shredmeister said:

Someone tell that kid about Astro Boy: Omega Factor and Gunstar Super Heroes. Classic Awesomeness!

NintendoLand

NintendoLand said:

@wiiwii That's because the gameboy micro had switchable plates like cellphones do and that plate there is based off the 80's Famicom.

Samholy

Samholy said:

this is rather collector. i would love to have one.
but the kid wont laugh so much when he will discovers that mario 3d land doesnt fit into his micro device.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

You know why the boy think it was a recent product like a 3DS, just look at the d-pad design on it. Yeap that's the same d-pad as the one on the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, 3DS, 3DS XL, Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller and CCP, Wii U GamePad and Wii U Classic Controller Pro. The Micro was the first portable to give us this amazing d-pad design and now it became a standard in all of Nintendo's controller and portables.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I remember holding a Game Boy Color in my hands with Mario Deluxe and getting the exact same warm fuzzy feeling. Oh wait, the year was 1998 and it really was the most advanced system at the time :D

BTW, NES is still one helluva sophisticated piece of hardware!

rayword45

rayword45 said:

The GBA had some pretty amazing games. Games like Zero Mission and Superstar Saga would hold up today (with updated graphics and fit to two screens obviously). True, there were a lot of titles in the mix, but the same goes for all popular Nintendo consoles, and in this case, the average shovelware title was playable.

TL;DR: GBA games still hold up today as amazing.

TurboPikachu

TurboPikachu said:

I like the 3DS better than the GBA now... But I do believe the GBA was much better than the DS series. For me, the DS/lite/i/iXL was full of disappointments, and I never truly had a great time with any of them...

The 3DS is the first system I've had a good time with since my original GBA. (and just the same, the Wii U is probably going to be the first console I've had a good time with since the GC.)

Henmii

Henmii said:

Poor guy! Andy should have told him the truth, seeing as he is a gamer himself (am I right?).

Well, as long as the boy has fun! Especially Warioware twisted is great!

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

Well, the Game Boy Advance has quite a few great games... too bad Mother 3 won't come to America or PAL.... cries