Rumour: Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask Coming To 3DS

Posted by Damien McFerran

UPDATED: It was a fake

UPDATE: GAME has confirmed that the screen-grab was a hoax. Read the full story here.

Nintendo could be prepping a 3D remake of The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, if a listing on UK retailer GAME is to be believed.

Spotted by an eagle-eyed shopper, the listing - which has since been removed - went live around 10:00AM UK-time yesterday. It was also featured on the site of GAME's sister store, Gamestation.

Rumours surrounding the possible release of Majora's Mask on the 3DS have been circulating since the launch of Ocarina of Time on the console, and Nintendo has done its best to fan the flames.

With today's Nintendo Direct presentation set to focus on the 3DS and Wii, what are the chances that Majora's Mask 3D will be confirmed?

As ever, let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

[via blog.fancensus.com]

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

This is probably some over eager GAME employee, accidentally thinking the game had been announced. I doubt it's any indication that it's coming soon.

Although it will, eventually.

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Another worthless remake with most likely nothing new added to the game.
Nintendo sure knows how to take advantage of their fanboys with minimal effort, actually if they were smarter they wouldn't even give the game the face lift, the fanboys would buy it anyway I bet.

Nightwalker

Nightwalker said:

Meanwhile, in a parallel universe, Nintendo actually makes new games, instead of constantly remaking and re-releasing old ones!STOP IT ALREADY!!!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Man that would be awesome if true, though I kinda woulda prefered a new 3DS Zelda first & a Majora's Mask remake after that but oh well, I'll take all the Zelda I can get :P

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenAV

BenAV said:

I highly doubt it that GAME would know any better than anyone else.
If it really is coming, I think we'd most likely be hearing about it from Japan first.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

pant pant.WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I'll repeat what I said in an email when I read this.

No Nintendo. Bad Nintendo. NO MORE REMAKES.

That said, I'd probably buy it because, well, it's a classic.

Cipher

Cipher said:

Nintendo has already said at least once that they will be releasing a new Zelda game before they release any more remakes, so they is very easily debunked.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I'd love this to be re-mastered for 3DS. I owned both originally, and also the virtual console re-releases but would buy it again with no doubts. Classics.

milojica

milojica said:

For all of you complaining about Nintendo making remakes, please stop. Some of us couldn't play those games because we were too young or for some other reason. If you don't like it, simply don't buy it.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I've held off on buying Majora's Mask solely because of the high probability of a 3D remake.

I hope this is true. Majora's Mask needs to be updated to a modern standard so it can stand on the level on Ocarina of Time, which got its own 3D remake. Both games are similar too. I never got to play the game, so we'll see if the Nintendo Direct says anything about this.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Ocarina of Time 3DS blew my mind. It still plays so well. I have never played Majoras Mask and will be very very excited for this!

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

It will happen at some point, I have no doubt about that. But they did state that they wanted to make a original Zelda for the 3DS before making more re-makes. So that pretty much kills it.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Last I heard, it was between this, a Link to the Past remake, and a LttP sequel being made. LttP being my favorite Zelda, this would honestly be a huge disappointment, and I'm not sure I'd get it.

MM is a great game, but give 3D Zelda a rest. Strange that a time when Mario is having an old-school revival, there hasn't been a traditional Zelda in some 4 years (unless you count 4 Swords Anniversary).

If this is true, I know LttP remake may never come, as they surely wouldn't release 3 remakes in a row. It would at least wait till after the next new Zelda (that I guess would be the 3rd or 4th straight 3D Zelda. Guess I'm paying for seeing all the Mario I want by seeing none of the Zelda I want, LOL.

LttP aside, I hope 3D Zelda isn't all we see from here on out. Starving for traditional Zelda and Metroid here. LttP and traditional Zelda fans stand to be big long-term losers here. And after Shiggy has teased LttP for well over a year now...BOO!!!!

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@ThomasBW84 It's probably Grezzo working on this, and Nintendo working on a LttP sequel - wouldn't you rather have two Zelda games, even if one is a remake?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

New games take time to produce. They are coming. Remakes take a short time to produce. Remakes are good during the lengthy time between new games. Its remakes or crappy new games to fill the gaps. Thats how I see it.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Since this is the only true Zelda I've never beat I think I will wait and see if this happens. This will finally give me the reasons I need to finish this classic. Insta buy for me and I'm not complaining in the least bit. Sure I want an original game but I know its coming.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

Because Nintendo don't want to make new games,they want to milk those treats of yesteryear for everyone to enjoy while old gamers (no,not me) will moan about where's the new games are.

Also Game has listed a Pokemon Red 3D remake.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

C'mon Nintendo announce it already! It's only like my favourite game ever that I desperately want a 3D remake of. I got super excited for a moment when I saw "Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask coming to 3DS" then I saw the headline "rumour" and had that excitement crushed. Nintendo Life is weird like that, I never see the first black tag until after I read the blue article title.

hydeks

hydeks said:

on one hand, I do wanna see another Zelda title on 3DS, and this would be a great way for me to finally play Majora's Mask, but on the other hand, I'm hoping for a totally original zelda game for 3ds :P

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@expa0 #6
I have never played it, I don't want to get it on the wii, I rarely play my wii these days, I mostly play with my 3DS, I want it on my 3DS, and I would like to take it with me on trips.

citizenerased

citizenerased said:

I'd love this. Can't see myself going back to play Majora's Mask on N64 (haven't yet) after playing through OOT 3DS. For me, it would be a brand-new game.

I can understand why some of you guys are upset, but you understand it would be Grezzo working on it, right? Hardly any employees from Nintendo EAD.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

This pleases me. If it's true, I hope it includes its own Master Quest, for us Zelda veterans.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

You know I have this game on the Zelda Collectors Edition disc on the Gamecube and I must be odd cause I didnt find this game anywhere enjoyable as I did OoT. Am I the only one cause I see alot of people saying that this was the best out of the two. I honestly tried to give it a chance too but I dont know.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@GeminiSaint Hopefully they will add in the true game, it was suppose to have 7 days and 6 temples (etc etc), if you want to check it out, search majoras mask beta (aka zelda gaiden).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@C-Olimar I'll admit that my gut reaction contradicts what I've said before. Heck, I even made a big point in an article (or potentially the review, can't remember) that these remakes are nice for those playing them again, but they're terrific for those trying them for the first time. My gut reaction of 'no more remakes' is because a new 3DS Zelda is easily top of my list of most-wanted games, above anything on Wii U, even. Then again that's partly because I loved OoT 3D on the handheld so much, so yeah, I'm contradicting myself.

In theory, if Grezzo developed this while Aonuma's A-team work on a new title, that would be completely awesome. We'll see if anything happens though...

Smitherenez

Smitherenez said:

My heart skipped a beat when I read "Legend Of Zelda: Majora's Mask Coming To 3DS". Then I saw it was a 'Rumor' :(

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Meh, I don't want a new 3DS Zelda. I say have Grezzo work on Majora's Mask 3D, while the main Zelda team works on getting the Wii U game released. Skyward Sword was an incredible game, but I feel like it could have performed better, sales wise, had it been released earlier in the Wiis lifecycle. I don't want to see the same thing happen to the next console Zelda; these games deserve much better than that.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I want a new Zelda game, but I'll still buy this. I have it on my wii, but I never beat it because of the time restraints and the bad graphics.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I think this is more than a rumor. I think its just a matter of time before its announced

Henmii

Henmii said:

Wouldn't surprise me (but not because GAME said it. They don't know nothing!!)!

Anyway, I hope we see a totally new Zelda on 3DS first!!

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

If it does end up happening, Nintendo better not pull a Capcom and say, "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?" and cancel it.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

It seems that the majority of people want Majora's mask 3D... so I think it's most likely gonna happen :D

cod45

cod45 said:

I hope it comes out for the 3DS I played it on a N64 ana Nintendo 64 it was a great game to play I will buy it for the 3DS because of how good it was for the Nintendo 64 I hope it comes out I want to see it in 3D it will be fun if it comes out.

gundam00

gundam00 said:

What's the problem with remakes???? Remakes are different from porting to VC. The remakes are beautifully remastered! And you act like Nintendo is not working on new titles. You do realize Nintendo has more than five people working there, right? The new titles haven't been finished yet. There's several titles I would love to see remastered for 3DS! Banjo-Kazooie being at the top of my list, even though that is unlikely to happen ;;;>_<;;;

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Oh wow. This is awesome news if its, in fact, true! I've NEVER played Majora's Mask, it's the only Zelda game I havent played outside of the CDi games and I would greatly look forward to a 3DS re-imaging of Majora's Mask!

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

This is certainly not a new rumor. With the engine basically already completely ported, I think Nintendo would be foolish not to follow through with this. It would be an instant buy for many people, myself included.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

@Rapadash6 Every Nintendo handheld should at least had one new Zelda game in their lineup at some point. NES had the first two Zelda games, SNES had A Link to the Past, GB had Link's Awakening, GBC had the Oracle of Seasons/Ages games, GBA had the Four Swords & Minish Cap, N64 had Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, GameCube had Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventure, and Twilight Princess, DS had Phantom Hourglass & Spirit Tracks, and Wii had Skyward Sword. 3DS and Wii U should at least have one new Zelda in their library in-between the ports and remakes.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

...Oh my god. My heart skipped a beat when I read the title of this article and I literally gasped.

Then I saw "Rumor" right next to the title. Don't know how I missed it.

Now I'm sad.

NImH

NImH said:

A rumor is enough for me! A spark of possibility has kindled an ember of hope in my heart...

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

I've had the original game for a decade and I've yet to complete the freaking Stone Tower temple... it looks so complicated... anyways, of course I'd like to have a remake! maybe I'll finally be able to beat it, who know...

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I would prefer to have the Majora's Mask remake instead of the "new" Zelda, which would probably end up being another Phantom Hourglass/ Spirit Tracks. I never finished the game because I never had the time to get to it, but having cleaner graphics, 3D, and most importantly, portability, will make me want to play again and finally finish it.

And Nintendo is more likely to release Majora's Mask because they have a lot of resources they can reuse from OoT 3D. They can't say the same for LttP.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I would love for this to be true. I loved Ocarina of Time 3D, (especially with the inclusion of the Master's Quest, which I never had a chance to play before). Also, being also to play it on a portable system is fantastic.

Of course this rumor has been going around for a while, with quotes from Nintendo first saying they wouldn't and then saying they might, so who knows :P

cool3dsXLgamer

cool3dsXLgamer said:

ive seen something on the internet that majoras mask 3d might come out sometime in 2013 i wanna try playin it if its true