Nintendo Download: 9th August 2012 (North America)

Posted by Damien McFerran

Much-reduced Mario, Real Bouts and going Commando

There's quite a heady mixture in this week's North American Nintendo Download report; not only do we have one of the best Mario games at a price so low it's criminal not to own it, but we also have a fine fighting game, a 3D tank simulation and a 2D run-and-gun blaster. Read on for more information!

eShop

Touch Battle Tank 3D (Agetec, Inc., $4.99) — Arena-based tank battles are the order of the day in this eShop release. With two tanks to select and a host of enemies to tackle, Touch Battle Tank 3D sounds thrilling, but don't let that fool you. Check out our Touch Battle Tank 3D review for the reasons why you should probably give this a miss.

Month of Mario

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Nintendo, $2.99 for a limited period) — This classic Game Boy title is now available at a reduced price thanks to Nintendo's Month of Mario campaign, and is worth every single cent. One of the best games produced for Nintendo's iconic monochrome handheld, it showcases an amazing degree of depth and replay value. If you need convincing further, our Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins review awaits.

DSiWare

Commando: Steel Disaster (800 Points) - Looking every inch like a sequel to SNK's classic Metal Slug, this DSiWare release contains a whole cast of mechanical monstrosities to take apart piece by piece. Sadly, it lacks the spark that made the Metal Slug series so compelling, so check out our comprehensive Commando: Steel Disaster review before making a purchase.

Wii Virtual Console

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (SNK Playmore, 900 points) — The seemingly endless procession of Neo Geo fighting games continues, but you won't hear us complaining — largely because these games rank as some of the finest brawlers you'll find on any system. This offshoot of the Fatal Fury series boasts all the usual favourites, including Terry, Andy and the Mai's chest area, so you're in safe hands. We'll be reviewing it shortly, just in case you'd like a second opinion.

So what will it be this week? A slice of pugilistic action on the Virtual Console, or a helping of classic Mario action on the 3DS? Let us know in the poll below!

What will you be downloading first this week? (271 votes)

Commando: Steel Disaster (DSiWare)

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (Wii VC - Neo Geo)

Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC - Game Boy)

23%

Touch Battle Tank 3D (Nintendo eShop)

Nothing for me this week

68%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Nothing for me. Was gonna get TBT3D, but the review says otherwise unfortunately. Perhaps more reviews will help me decide.

Knux

Knux said:

Nothing for me this week....except perhaps Real Bout Fatal Fury Special. But I might be moving, so I don't have the time for home console games at the moment.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

i'll be getting super mario land 2....that's about it. I wonder whatever happened to those two Sonic games we were going to get as part of the 8 Bit summer. I really wanted to get those for my son.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

TERRIBLE WEEK!

Honestly. Where are those sonic games we were going to get?

Better not be the work of those neogaf whiners complaining about Picross E. (Which is a stupid game anyway)

Besides DLC and SML2, everything is just plain bad this week.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Dear Nintendo,

Thank you for fishing your turds out of the toilet and deciding to digitally sell them to us on the eShop this week. It is always good to know the company you are supporting is there to support you with such excellent quality.

Yours sarcastically,

Everybody who already owns Mario Land 2

mr_chun

mr_chun said:

8-bit Summer isn't over until I get my Game Gear games. I wonder what's been giving SEGA so much trouble with their VC support on the eShop?

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Going to get the Commando game, Touch Battle Tank 3d, and I already own Super Mario Land 2:6 Golden Coins.
Feeling Military. :)

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

Looks like Sega didn't live up to their word for the new Sonic games...Either that or Nintendo is being an arse, like always.

alex167

alex167 said:

It seems 8-Bit Summer is over...still waiting Kirby's Dream Land 2, when is it going to be launched ?...... 8-Bit autumn?, 8 Bit-winter maybe?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@CrispyGoomba There was not a date for the Sonic games. We know they are coming, we don't know when. They could be next week, they could be the week after.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Maybe we can get oct. to be a month of something great on eShop... Maybe

CrispyGoomba

CrispyGoomba said:

@Bass_X0 Well I know that, but they had the games listed in the 8-bit summer category once. And obviously that boat has sailed. So who knows...

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Oh yeah, bad week next week.

We get BOTH Crazy Chicken Pirates and Crazy Chicken Pirates 3D. All for $2.

And I go back to school that day.

Next week BETTER be more than that, unlike this week.

And 4 weeks until CS+3D and Nightsky misses it's deadline

SkywardL

SkywardL said:

Nintendo clearly wants you to save your money on downloading New Super Mario Bros. 2 ;)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Not all seasonal promotions have ended... it's great to know the Summer of Whining continues.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

SML2 is a bit overrated in my book, but it's certainly worth $3 - not that the normal $4 isn't a good deal either.

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Commando Steel Disaster looks interesting, plus I really like the Metal Slug series, so I think I'll be getting that.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

hmm. Super Mario land 2 is great, but I already have it. Nothing else gets my attention...
By the way, I like the idea of having the poll in these articles along with the comments. Good idea whoever came up with it!

XXITheWorld

XXITheWorld said:

I love how they pretended to be catching up to European VC for a few weeks and then went like "naaaah we were just messing with you"

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Nothing for me this week, but there a possibility I'll get Super Mario Land 2. But I might just wait for 3 to go on sale... that one looked fun :D

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Nothing for me this week. Of course if you haven't bought SML2 yet nows a great time to buy it.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Checked coming soon section;

Crazy Chicken (Idiotic) Pirates 3D (I mean that word, it's too upbeat, boring and happy from the pictures)Vectorracing (Looks AWESOME, and I'll get this when it comes out)

Abyss(Dumb DSIware ignore)

Pokedex 3D pro is also a coming soon game in the pokenon section

Sonic on GG vanished entirely, only to be found via search

No CS, NS, or UB either.

Even the coming soon section is bad except for Vectorracing. Why did they quit giving good GAMES in general? (3DS download and VC)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@TheDreamingHawk You...you actually want those Sonic games? Honestly, it was a mercy that we didn't get those.

Anyways, I've been looking forward to Real Bout Fatal Fury Special since forever. Thank you SNK for once again skipping the terrible, useless entries in the series (Real Bout 1 is one of my least favorite fighting games) and giving us the goods.

coolvw93

coolvw93 said:

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special for me this week, im really looking forward to playing it...

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I thought the 8 bit Summer was made to catchup on the VC! Now were lagging behind again!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Mickeymac I do. They aren't honestly bad games. Spinball on the Game Gear was the worst, crashes, bad sound and lag added up to it. Sonic 1 is wayyyy better than those games, but sonic labyrinth and blast are decent at best.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm going to have to pass this week. I can't spend money willy nilly during the school year, so I am saving up an eShop cushion starting with the $40 I'll need for NSMB2. I don't know if tax will be a factor or not in the NSMB2 purchase, so I'm waiting until it comes out to see if I need the extra $20 or not.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@TheDreamingHawk I'm starting to wonder if there's anything we can agree on. :P Those were the worst Sonic games I've ever played, bar none, and I have almost the entire series by now.

MakeMyBiscuit

MakeMyBiscuit said:

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special and Commando. I am a sucker for old school 2D highly detailed and well animated sprites :)

Savino

Savino said:

Terrible week for both 3DS and Vita...

Not that vita are getting any good week...

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

I have a feeling Month of Mario = Month of No New 3DS VC. No wonder they had an 8-bit Summer: it wasn't because of the drought in early 2012, it was because they were planning to have an August devoid of titles, and gave July double the VC instead.

Quick, someone hire me as an analyst. I'd do a much better job than Pachter-man!

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Meh, nothing of interest this week, other than SML2, which I already own. Best to wait until next week.

@Olaf-symbiote: You do have a very valid argument there. I can agree with that completely. I mean, there are still a couple (if not, more) VC titles that were supposed to be part of the 8-bit Summer that we STILL haven't gotten. I just hope we don't have to wait until next summer to start downloading games that the UK and Japan already have access to (no offense to either country here). Nintendo of America needs to get off its lazy behind and work on the "quality" department if you ask me. I'm tired of waiting.

Heatran5400

Heatran5400 said:

Hey people. just wanted to ask the question of why does NSMB2 already have one rating? it did not even come out yet.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Yuck... this week is a total wash out on download's.

Next week will be better we get crazy chicken, New Super Mario Bros 2 & hopefully we finally get Sparkle Snapshot's 3DSware as well in the NA e-shop. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't know why everybody's arguing about this week's lineup but Real Bout Fatal Fury Special is sweet. C'mon they are selling a $200 arcade perfect game for $9.00 here.

Fabian

Fabian said:

@ymmas626 What is Crazy Chicken?

Thats the worst NA update ever and I thought last week was bad for you.Thankfully Europe gots better games.How many weeks without any Wii Ware Games where there now?

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Mickeymac they are not really good games, but better than spinball at least.

And now that I know how NL works more, I can fix things back up now. (^-^)

Thanks TheblackKitty!

haneef

haneef said:

Nintendo has leaked.. there will be a Super Mario Galaxy 3, Wario is also in this one. coming for the wii u

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@Fabian

Lol nah last week was pretty good actually finally got some point's card half for e-shop games half for New Super Mario 2 to download finally picked up:

Stina 30 Jewel's
Mole Mania
3D Solitaire

I got no idea what crazy chicken is about but from all the reviews I'd read so far about the 5 or 6 crazy chicken games they released already on the ds & the series getting absolute horrid review's on amazon I'm excited to try out the series.:D

btw cool username! I'm honestly not trying to sound rude when asking this but what cartoon is the pharoah chicken from looking at your avatar thing sorry...

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

RR529

RR529 said:

I stilll might get TBT3D, but after NL's review it's not looking likely. Already have SML2, and I don't buy DSiWare, so probably nothing for me this week.

zeta416

zeta416 said:

I'll end up getting this at half price. Was a great game back in the day.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

We need more VC games Nintendo. Don't stop now. And by the way, where are my Sonic games. I know they are there Nintendo so don't stall.

DaJusticeyJDude

DaJusticeyJDude said:

2nd week in a row for bad downloadable games, I already have SML2 so nuthin for me. We deserve better games.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Im wondering about downloading Mario land 2. Its a great game, but I feel it a tad short.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I wish my Wii would just automatically download Neo Geo games every week. Real Bout is awesome!

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

SML: ^ Gold Coins is my favorite classic Mario game. I recommend it. I'm so sad about the tank game. I had some high hopes for that. Maybe I ought to get it anyway to kickstart my bad gaming career.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Nothing for me, and I already have SML2, but I'm happy to see continued support for Wii VC. :) I take comfort in things like that even when I don't get anything.

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I use to own Commando. It's not as good as Metal Slug 7, but if you want a long lasting game, I recommend it as it is so difficult. I already own SML2, and the tank game sounds awful. If I didn't have RBFFS, I would pick it up in an instant. It was aweome on Neo Geo CD and it is awesome on PS2.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Do you recommend me FF Real Bout Special or is better to wait Real Bout 2?

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Terrible week for Nintendo but at least it was better than MS which had to pull its big XBLA release offline for a bit because of 'server issues.' Thankfully Sony released the excellent Sound Shapes, which saved things from being a complete disaster across the board.

Savino

Savino said:

@Fabian
Pushsquare.com
Or, the official playstation blog....

But pushsquare is better! You got Sammy there! He is cool!

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

Another dead week for eshop US... while in Japan have 2 VC rockman Famicom, in Europe warioland 2 and goemon , NA continues backward without news ...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Absolutely nothing. Still waiting on my Unchained Blades Nintendo...Waiting for a multiplatform game that PSP owners got 2 months ago just because Nintendo of America is so obsessed with letting Mario be the first digital release game isn't fun.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Super Mario Land 2 is great. It's still feels more fresh and original than New Super Mario Bros. 2 could ever hope to be, judging from the trailers.

A level on the Moon, a LEGO level, a level in the belly of a whale. You don't see stuff like that in 2D Marios anymore. I only ever find any true innovation in the 3D instalments nowadays.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Why is better than the secuel? If both are very similar i want the best version instead buy both :)