Namco, SEGA and Capcom Reveal Project X Zone

Posted by James Newton

3DS strategy RPG unveiled

The teasing is over: the mystery Namco Bandai, Capcom and SEGA 3DS project is Project X Zone, a strategy RPG for 3DS.

The countdown clock hasn't ended yet but Famitsu has led with the first details on the game. Characters from all three companies will fight in pairs: Ryu and Ken, Pai and Akira, Jin and Ling Xiaoyu to give a few examples, with recognisable moves for each. In other words, expect hadoukens, tetsuzankous and electric thrust godfists.

Here's the list of confirmed characters so far:

Capcom:

Ryu & Ken (Street Fighter), X and Zero (Mega Man), Demitri (Darkstalkers), Dante (Devil May Cry), Chris and Jill (Resident Evil)

SEGA
Shinguji Sakura and Ogami Ichiro (Sakura Wars), Pai and Akira (Virtua Fighter), Kurt and Riela (Valkyria Chronicles), Ulala (Space Channel 5) and Touma (Shining Force EXA)

Namco Bandai
Sanger Somvold (Super Robot Wars), Jin and Ling Xiaoyu (Tekken), Kos-Mos and T-elos (Xenosaga), Yurie and Estel (Tales of Vesperia), Kaito and Black Rose (.hack)

The three companies have confirmed there'll be more characters revealed in the near future, with the first gameplay footage due later this month. Project X Zone is currently on for a release later this year.

[via andriasang.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

Awesome.
I was preparing myself for the disappointment of it just being another fighter but that's much better.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Interesting... can't say I'm thrilled with that roster, though. I'd expect more iconic names or even more current names, honestly.

Late

Late said:

Must keep my eyes on this game. Huge fan of strategy RPGs. Wasn't expecting game like this. It seems so weird to see all these characters in one game, an RPG game.

AUnkownFuture

AUnkownFuture said:

This was the news that i didnt expect. Unfortunately, Im not into RPG games. Im not against RPG games because they are all great and i cant really deny them. Project X Zone will not be my first RPG game, it will be what i call `Beginners Try`.

47drift

47drift said:

Sounds like a huge sequel to Namco X Capcom. I always wanted to play that one. I sure hope this one makes it over.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Characters from fighting games, RE and Mega Man? I don't know much about SRPG's but i think this could turn out to have the most variety of 'em all. Very interested.
They better have a good storyline though.

James

James said:

@MasterGraveheart As the article says, there'll be more characters confirmed in future :)

Personally I'll be all over this — Akira's in it, so that's me sold. Hope to bring you guys some scans/screens very soon :)

BlueBandanaJake

BlueBandanaJake said:

Cant wait to hear more about this, super excited!
Hey Sega, dont forget about Vyse and the gang, Im sure they'd fit in with this crowd nicely wink

jspanero

jspanero said:

This sounds promising although if it's an S-RPG I hope it's the Valkyrie Chronicles team (was it the former AM1?) handling it and not the Tales team or whoever it is that makes RPGs chez Capcom these days. Has it been confirmed who the developer is?

GamerDude

GamerDude said:

Personally, i'm not very excited about this one bit if anything i'm disappointed. But still we don't much yet so time will tell!

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

Capcom's characters are so much better than the Sega and Namco's characters. I'm surprised Namco haven't tried to shoehorn PacMan in there though!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This one really surprised me. I was expecting it to be a fighter but I am very glad that it turned out to be an RPG. The fact that it has characters from Tales of Vesperia, Valkyria Chronicles, Xenosaga and Mega Man makes it a must-have for me. I just hope that it will come to the US.

abINC4L

abINC4L said:

I is interested :D Oh 3DS, why does thou library keep on expanding with awesome looking games?

James

James said:

Not 100% sure who's developing it yet but Namco's the most vocal of the three companies and apparently pitched the idea to Capcom, so I imagine it's a Namco team. It's being overseen by staff who've worked on Super Robot Wars OG Saga, Mega Man and Phantasy Star Online so it'll probably be OK.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Needs more: Shinobi, Golden Axe, Ghosts'n Goblins, Strider, Bionic Commando (pull enemies towards you with the chain), Gargoyle (fly over enemies, strike from behind)
And that’s only if they want things to be pretty basic and don’t want it to be SRPG’s anwer to Super Smash Bros. If they want to go that route the inclusion of some Ghost Trick, Ace Attorney (Feys) and Comix Zone could make sense. As well as dozens of other characters too.
Also: Permadeath please.

Jono97

Jono97 said:

Unfortunately, I doubt I would be getting this game. But, il see when more details arrive.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Interesting. I do love the SD Robot Wars series, so I will keep a lookout on this one.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

This couldn't be better news. As everyone is saying I thought it would be a fighting game! Can't wait to see how this one turns out. I sure hope this makes it over here. Its little risk right now to develop for the 3ds in Japan. That scares me it wont make it over state side for years!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this gets a western release. It sounds awesome! I hope Lloyd and Kratos from ToS are a yet to be announced pair or Luke with either Tear of Guy.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Sounds cool...just wish I knew this characters....I've heard of a few, and maybe played as a couple...but not much.

metafaniel

metafaniel said:

@Joshers744 I feel the same. I only know well Capcom characters, the rest come from game I haven't played or just played a little or just know about the game existence. This can be a chance to know them better and meet with characters we don't know! ;)
Looks promising, but I can't say for now I'll get it.

MAB

MAB said:

Whoever is writing the story for this has got a helluva job trying to tie this roster of characters together. Jills T & A all the way ;)

MAB

MAB said:

That's it james like an ultimate fighting chrono trigger.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

as soon as i saw the names akira yuki and pai chan from virtua fighter and tekken's jin and ling xiaoyu in that list, i was excited. OMG, really good set of characters, with more to come.

i expected it to be a one-on-one fighting game, but alas, i'll take this. the combat system does sound very much like the one in the fire emblem: awakening game.

Shotgunryugan

Shotgunryugan said:

That was...unexpected O.o

Anyway,i like RPGs,not my favorite genre(i prefer Fighting games),but eh,i'll look forward to it,but it's inevitable that SEGA will bring Sonic characters right? :P

RR529

RR529 said:

Decent list so far, but there are so many great possibilities. Kilik, Taki, Ivy, Xianghua, and Mitsurugi from Soulcalibur. Sonic and Tails would be a good SEGA team (although I'd also welcome Shadow or Knuckles). Luke and Tear from Tales of the Abyss. PAC-MAN. Joe Musashi (Shinobi). Amateratsu (Okami).

The list goes on and on.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Seems to be focused on humans, so I'm not sure if we will see Sonic and the like.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Gasp, MEGAMAN CHARACTERS! Saver the moment MM fans, might be the only bit of love Capcom give the MM name for awhile... T.T

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Hmm, interesting. I'm hoping for Kilik and Xiangua (from Soul Calibur), and Axel and Blaze (from Streets of Rage) to make the roster.

Megajack

Megajack said:

I would get this if it had megaman and protoman as a pair but NO! Capcom doesnt like classic megaman series anymore.

NintenHero

NintenHero said:

@BJQ1972 Seriously? you must be trollin' n' trollin' HARD, when Capcom adds the ORIGINAL Megaman I'll agree.
Anyways I saw a scan image for this game, the graphics look nice. I can't wait to see video footage of the game play.
I'm on Team Sega :3 what team are you guys on? Also...Where is Sonic and Tails?!

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

@NintenHero i'm on team sega as well. mainly as it has the virtua fighter characters and ulala from space channel 5. as for sonic & tails, well one can say the same for namco and why they didn't put pacman in this.

remember, the article states that sega, namco and capcom will add more characters, and so this list isn't completely final.

Millenia

Millenia said:

Ulala!!!!!!!!! So glad to know that she is still relevant to SEGA!!!!! I will forever be hoping for a Part 3...

Shirma_Akayaku

Shirma_Akayaku said:

Many people were expecting Sonic characters, but I think all the main characters from each Co. has to be human. (or a type of human form)

Squid

Squid said:

Dante is in the same game as Yuri and Estelle?
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss.

Terrible_Majesty

Terrible_Majesty said:

I am sorry, I am not excited in the least bit for this game. It sounds like Fighters Quest all over again. I was hoping this would be a fighting game or at least an RPG with RPG characters. HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT for me.

Terrible_Majesty

Terrible_Majesty said:

I hope this leads to future projects. Sega and Namco can make a racing game. Daytona USA + Ridge Racer. Sega and Capcom can make a platformer Sonic + Mega Man, I wonder if we will ever see a Capcom + Konami collab. Resident Evil + Silent Hill.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'd buy this for Ulala, Kite and Blackrose, but I doubt it'll even be released over here...

DraculaX

DraculaX said:

Interesting characters. All they need to do is add Siegfried, Pac-Man, Felicia, Strider Hiryu, Sonic, and Bayonetta (would be cool to see Dante and Bayonetta in the same game) and this would be day one buy for me (if it gets a Western release).

thanos316

thanos316 said:

strategy rpg. hmm sounds interesting. lets see how this one pans out. these companies are getting creative, and lets hope this can continue over onto the wii u.