Rumour: Rare Looking Into 3DS Development

Posted by Zach Kaplan

Banjo-Kazooie 3D a possibility

The rumour mill has been churning up some pretty exciting stuff lately, and here's a bit that seems plausible considering that Microsoft saw no problem with Rare working on DS games like Viva Piñata and Diddy Kong Racing.

Supposedly, the company is in talks with Nintendo to develop games for the 3DS platform, including a 3D continuation of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise. Pleased with the success of their previous handheld outings and seeing no conflict between the Xbox market and the handheld gaming market, Microsoft supposedly sees this as a positive as it could boost sales of their titles developed for Xbox 360. Sources also say that Nintendo and Rare discussed a 3DS continuation of the Star Fox Adventures series, but that nothing is currently in development on that front.

Considering our previous discussion on why Rare and Nintendo should reunite, this could be quite the positive move, and it makes complete sense that 3DS would be the platform on which it could happen.

What do you think about this possibility, and what do you hope to see Rare develop for the 3DS?

[via gameolosophy.com]

Related Games

Kidtendo

Kidtendo said:

Wow, this would be awesome, but i wonder how they will make it work for the 3DS

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I would love to see the original Banjo Kazooie remade in full 3D. I could truly die a happy man then (at least until I found something else I really wanted). :D

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I would cry with joy and dance naked in the streets if this happened.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I don't see any problem with them going through with it. They made Diddy Kong Racing DS and Microsoft didn't say a word since they're not in the handheld business.They might not be able to get together with Nintendo completely, but they could still have ties through the handheld world. I would love a Banjo-Kazooie 3D after all! Donkey Kong 64 3D wouldn't be bad too.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

Although I've never been a huge fan of the Banjo-Kazooie series, if Rare started making games for the 3DS, that would convince me to finally buy one.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Straight port of Diddy Kong Racing to eshop please (none of the changes they made for the DS version). I doubt it'll happen, but I would be one happy token.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I really hope this does happen. If it does I hope we see remakes of their classic nintendo64 games as I didn't own that many games for the system and I doubt I would've got them anyway since I was just a naive little kid. The games I would like to see remakes of in order of most wanted:
Conker's bad fur day (as long as its more faithful to the original than that rubbish xbox remake)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Donkey Kong 64
Jet force gemini
Perfect dark

I wouldn't mind straight ports of these games to the eshop with new entries at retail though.

b_willers

b_willers said:

For some strange reason I was playing the Banjo GBA adventure game today on my GB micro, I would love to see a follow up to the N64 games

Yosher

Yosher said:

I've never really played the Banjo games but hearing from other people's experiences, I hope it will be like the N64 games and nothing like Nuts&Bolts. We'll have to see how this develops though.

ColtTheNotsoEpicGamR

ColtTheNotsoEpicGamR said:

would really love remakes of any of rares games it's only the idea of new games from them which slightly worries me rare havent been good since they left nintendo and a bad sequel to banjo would really impact badly

(PS. Nuts and bolts doesn't count.)

Knux

Knux said:

As long as it is nothing like Nuts & Bolts, then count me in! :D

Scribbler

Scribbler said:

I hope for Rare's sake that this is true. Rare's style of game design just doesn't mesh with the clientèle that Microsoft and the XBox attract. Let's face it. Rare is going downhill because their core audience is on a competitor's system. They still have greatness in them. They just need a better outlet to let their creative juices flow.

I can guarantee that if they were to create a brand-new traditional Banjo-Kazooie game for 3DS (provided that they can get either the original team or people that respected their work), offered the original two as a compilation cart/eShop download, and let Nintendo market the daylights out of it, it would be a hit.

Rare's audience is still around, and they're right here, playing PilotWings, Pokemon and Nintendogs on their 3DSes. Microsoft, let them. Nintendo, support them. I'd like to see what they can produce.

Metaldave

Metaldave said:

This post is basing this rumor from a site that is run by a woman who claims to know this info because she sleeps with a guy from Nintendo.....I wouldn't get too excited for this guys.

We've all heard this type of "my uncle works for Nintendo" story before...

Zach

Zach said:

@MetalDave True, but it makes a lot of sense that this would happen. Microsoft has said before that the handheld and console markets are not in competition, and it makes sense that Rare wouldn't develop 3DS games from launch to avoid building hype for a Nintendo product rather than a Rare game. Anyway, I certainly hope it's true!

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

The sole rumor started me crying on joy... Banjo-ThreeieDS! Cant claim 1st Banjo was the best game ever, but it sure is the game I hold the most fond gaming memories for!

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Glad to see Microsoft allowing this...hopefully Jet Force will pop up too, even if it was a VC game, don't care. xD

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Yep just what Zach said and Microsoft themselves have said it that they will make games for the PSP and DS since Microsoft doesnt have a handheld of its own. Its actually a smart move Just cause they dont have a handheld of their own why lose millions of dollars that can be made by making games for Sony and Nintendo handhelds.

Personally I would love to see a Killer Instinct 3D

Yasume

Yasume said:

I would buy any software from Rare on 3DS. It doesn't matter which franchise they decide to continue. Although I prefer a true sequel to Banjo-Tooie, I'd literally buy anything they release.

quino711

quino711 said:

to bad rare is broken... it's just not what it used to be a few years back. A port would be the best option

TikiTong

TikiTong said:

Well as long as this is better then when Microsoft took control of them and got them making bad games

1080ike

1080ike said:

My wish list:
Jet Force Gemini
Banjo-Kazooie
Perfect Dark
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Killer Instinct
Star Fox Adventures
Although a few other games wouldn't be too bad, either.

jerryo

jerryo said:

they better! damned traitors! they served us poison but they got their share... nintendo fans are open hearted and forgiving towards old friends! BRING IT ON RARE WE LOVE YOU! :D Conker's Good Fur Day! :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

This really sounds too good to be true! Please let it be! I squeal in delight just hearing the rumor! <<<<<<<<333333333333333

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Microsoft has always been supportive of Nintendo in some way- especially working with the DS (or simply Nintendo handhelds with about 5 games licensed by them). Can't say the same about the PSP. I remember the VP of MSG being asked about Rare games coming to PSP and said "That's definitely not likely."

Anyhow, glad to see Rare apparently contemplating on developing for the 3DS.

And I agree. Banjo Three-dee is perfect if Rare actually developed a game for 3DS.

Do eeet. Maybe then some Xbox 360 owners would appreciate the games made by Rare with those iconic characters. Maybe.

BedCommando

BedCommando said:

Another Banjo-Kazooie game? Ugh.
Don't get me wrong, love the first two,and own them for both my N64,and my 360 (100% on all of them to), BUT...Nuts and Bolts was so lifeless,and forced, I don't think I can handle another subpar title starring my favourite bear and bird.

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

JumpMad I was thinking the same thing. Just imagine the matix sence on that, the bullets would be flying right at you.

Henmii

Henmii said:

"including a 3D continuation of the Banjo-Kazooie franchise"

Wich means a new game, not a remake! Cool!! Let's call it Banjo 3Diee! Do want!

I also would like Nuts and Bolts. It may not have been the "Banjo" we hoped for, but it still looks interesting to me. I never played it since I don't have a xbox360, so this could be my chance!

I can do without a wii sports clone (like kinect sports) though!

Kameo and Grabbed by the ghoulies are also welcome. Oh I go to far. One at a time. First I want the new "Banjo"!!

motang

motang said:

It's not like they are doing anything on the 360! I say make a Banjo and Perfect Dark game, then a Killer Instinct down the line. :D

TheEvilTweek

TheEvilTweek said:

Diddy Kong Racing or Viva Pinata for the 3DS meh.
But a Banjo-Threeie or Donkey Kong 64 3D OH MA GOD YAY!!!!!!

weirdproq

weirdproq said:

Donkey Kong 64 on the 3DS. I also hope they make a new Banjo-Kazooie for the 3DS.

incredo

incredo said:

Banjo was a very entertaining game for n64 and also good for gameboy advance .. 3D view would be great .. I hope this time he put a voice

------------------------------------------------ -----------------

imagine this...... KILLER INSTINCT 1 IN 3D FOR NINTENDO 3DS
THAT WOULD BE THE BEST ARCADE PORT ===> CONSOLE.
sales of a great game like this would be guaranteed success in sales for nintendo .. (which might give you a special edition console) and Rare would have many profits, which seems to thing you need is a lot these days "A GAME THAT IS ICON OF THE COMPANY"

rare nintendo would be good to answer for the mistake made by promising to killer instinct 1 would be for n64 and then took a mediocre game called Killer Instinct Gold. (not a bad game, but kiler instinct 1 is much better)

Please nintendolife do somthing about it... at least one survey that will make Nintendo and Rare understand that we owe this great game

I hope that whoever reads and agrees with me spread the idea;)

Would that not delete this post Bye

Punny

Punny said:

If this is real, I would love to see Banjo-Three-Deeie, just as long as Rare ditches the blocky character models. :)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

3. Corbs 26 Apr 2011, 15:40 CDT
"I would love to see the original Banjo Kazooie remade in full 3D. I could truly die a happy man then (at least until I found something else I really wanted)."

HahaHahaHaha! :D

But, Jet Force Gemini for 3DS! Yes, Please! ;)

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

Im a huge fan of the original Banjo Kazooie, and as of now, I have no plans to buy a 3DS. If they do make Banjo Kazooie (Banjo Threeie (Banjo Threeie D (3D))), then it may be the reason to buy a 3DS

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Why do I have a feeling that Nintendo and Microsoft are getting closer and closer....

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Every time someone bad-mouths Nuts and Bolts, I die a little bit inside.

...Kind of a miracle that I'm still alive.

mariosonic1

mariosonic1 said:

I've never played a Rare game before,but if they do release a Banjo-Kazooie game, I might try it out.

Curt

Curt said:

Banjo Kazooie
Banjo Tooie
New Banjo, not vehicle based
Donkey Kong 64

That's really all I'd ask for. Of course, the odds of this happening are pretty slim.

Rapenzie

Rapenzie said:

Come on guys. Rare just did games on Nintendo DS because Microsoft had no front on the portable gaming (Windows Mobile/Zune HD doesn't count). Now they have Windows Phone with LIVE and you guys think they would "waste" time on competition instead of putting Rare to work on that mobile platform?

XD375

XD375 said:

@Kid_A:

I agree. It was a fantastic game for what it was. The only "bad" Rare game of recent times is Perfect Dark Zero and even that may be going a bit too far...

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Great, since Rare and Nintendo are still on good terms for the handheld side of things, I want them to release a new Killer Instinct game for 3DS complete with online play and StreetPass features. That would be a great addition to the already solid fighting game lineup on the 3DS which already includes Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, Dead or Alive: Dimension, and BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II.

Zach

Zach said:

In the Nintendo 64 days, there were developers and then there was Rare. Rare, who decided to try their hand at first person shooters and revolutionized the genre with Goldeneye 007. Rare, who had the guts to delay their games for months and months and months promising a much higher quality product and delivering ten-fold on that promise with Banjo-Kazooie. Rare, who delayed and reworked Twelve Tales: Conker 64 for a year, give or take, before stating that it was just too much like other Nintendo 64 games with nothing to set it apart, and that yes, more delays would be worth it - only to show us Conker's Bad Fur Day many months later at E3 (I believe), revamping a story about cute squirrels collecting scattered housewarming gifts to Conker fighting the singing great and mighty poo, going from the most adorable N64 game since Yoshi's Story to a more adult game than any thought Nintendo would ever allow on their system. Rare, whose high quality products led a generation of gamers to actually like to hear that a game was delayed because we would know that it would just be made that much better. I miss those days, I want them to return, and I hope that they do on the 3DS. Rare's games weren't just games, they were works of art, they were a developer you could trust, they were to video games then what Pixar is to family films today. Only Blast Corps and, to a lesser extent, Killer Instinct Gold, their first two N64 efforts, and later on to some degree Donkey Kong 64 received mixed reception. The rest - Goldeneye 007, Banjo-Kazooie, Diddy Kong Racing, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini, Banjo-Tooie and Conker's Bad Fur Day were some of the best video games that the platform and the world has ever seen. Please bring those days back.

JimLad

JimLad said:

This might be enough to make me buy a 3DS. :o
More N64 era sequels please!

Highwinter

Highwinter said:

Banjo-"threeie" already happened. Like the gameplay changes or not, Nuts & Bolts continued the story, and recaptured the style and humour perfectly. It was every bit a sequel and if they do make a new DS game, it'd most likely be a continuation of that (though not necessarily with the vehicles).

It's sad to see so many bad mouthing the game though, it was a huge departure but still a brilliant game.. along with Viva Pinata and Kameo, amongst the best Rare have ever made. Rare didn't go anywhere, the fans just turned on them.

Terra

Terra said:

I appreciate what they tried with Nuts and Bolts but for me, it just didn't take. Maybe I need to try going through it again. I'd be glad to see something different appear on the 3DS for the seris but as long as they don't deviate too far like N&B did.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

Conkers Bad Fur Day 3DS! OMG that would be awesome! :O

Anyway, I would love to see B&K on 3DS. It would be really cool. I still have Tooie to play through before that happens though.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

For the price of Virtual Console games i would buy many of their original games in a heartbeat on my 3DS. If it were retail remakes i guess it would make me wait a bit longer.
Of course the best thing would be if they make great new games for the 3DS too. :)

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

i loved the first 2 b and k games was cheesed off when realised i wouldnt get a third bash at the witch grunt or something she was called so that would be great if they brought us a third from spiral mountain area

siavm

siavm said:

This seems fake. Sure before microsoft had no problem letting Rare do a few games on the gba and the ds. But now they have windows 7 phone which connects to xbl. And it uses Avatars that Rare is behind of. So I don't think microsoft is going to let Rare do anything outside the company now.

ThrowdownN64

ThrowdownN64 said:

i would like banjo kazooie three dee
or a donkey kong 3ds would b nice (kinda like dk 64 but less boring)

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

Nintendo will bring something more creative out of them. Microsoft is too shooter centric leaving Rare guessing what will work on xbox. Nintendo is all about being creative (and fun)..lol. :)

Zach

Zach said:

The Windows Phone argument seems valid, but so does the possibility that a phone and a system exclusively meant for gaming wouldn't be seen in direct competition, as well as the idea that Rare's success on 3DS might lead to interest in their XBox titles. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

Blast Corps is a forgotten gem......shame Rare didn't bother with a sequel on any platform

Musashi

Musashi said:

OMG. I'd buy this in a second. Banjo-Kazooie is one of my all time faves!

gabrielwoj

gabrielwoj said:

I hope this don't get cancelled like billions of zillions of games, after Rare transfered to Microsoft

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

microsoft probably want info on how to do glasses free 3D gaming. and rare producing a 3DS game would be ideal.
just me speculating though.
besides there`s probably a whole bunch of xbox owners who have oy are getting a 3DS anyway, so it`s microsoft are pretty much selling to their own fan base.

Rapenzie

Rapenzie said:

@Zach: Microsoft said they were treating the Windows Phone as their portable gaming platform and that's why they put LIVE on there.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Back to Starfox adventures: Is that even possible? I think Rareware never could make another game with Nintendo characters. Yeah, maybe a altered version of a old game (like Didy kong racing) but not a sequel.

A well, we will see!

Zach

Zach said:

@Rapenzie Dang, that is worrisome. However, company heads say a lot of things and then do another. I don't know how much of this is wishful thinking, but I'm still going to hold out hope that this is true.

ryannasaurus

ryannasaurus said:

oh my god, i really hope rare and nintendo do this! a new banjo kazooie game would make my day...heck it would make my year!

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Well, Microsoft will make money off it, the 3DS will get more games, and fans will get what they've been begging for for what, 10 years?

54noah

54noah said:

Come on, let's see us some "Banjo-Threeie!" I'd also like to see Rare split from Microsoft completely and come back home to Nintendo.