SteamWorld Dig Wii U Release Date and Pricing Surface

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

We're digging that HD resolution

SteamWorld Dig is one of the most popular games on the 3DS eShop, and for good reason, so it's unsurprising that news of the HD iteration coming to Wii U was greeted with some delight. After previously outlining a release date on Twitter, Image & Form has now shared full details of the ever-closer HD release.

To start with, it is arriving on 28th August in North America, Europe and Australia, and will be priced at £6.99 / €8.99 / $9.99. As for what enhancements gamers can expect in comparison to the 3DS version, an announcement page outlines the following.

• HD graphics: Beautiful, high-resolution (1080p) graphics
  • Eye candy: Animated character portraits, bloom filter, tweaks and polish
  • Customizable screen interface and controls
  • Languages: English, French, Italian, German, Spanish and Russian
  • Clutter-free HD graphics. The map and other interface elements are now displayed on the Wii U GamePad
  • Off-TV Play. Continue digging on the Wii U GamePad even when your TV is occupied or turned off
  • Support for Wii U Pro Controller
  • And maybe there’s an Easter egg somewhere?

Are you looking forward to SteamWorld Dig on Wii U? Will you be a first-time player or double-dipping?

millarrp

millarrp said:

I just finished the 3DS version and really enjoyed it so I'm considering double dipping but not right away

smikey

smikey said:

I never played the 3ds version (don't have much time for 3ds at present)
Got my wii u version a while back loved what I've played of it so far (nearly 5 hours)

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

I'm most likely buying this again. Any word on a discount if you own the 3ds.version? That's the tipping point for me..Although this game will feature new areas, that may not be enough to sway prospective double dippers

YouGotOwend

YouGotOwend said:

I probably won't buy it again. Already completed it twice, and can't justify £7 for a HD reskin. If they'd added new content, perhaps another area to mine, sidequests etc, but for a barebones texture update I will pass.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Great game, but I'm not a double dipper. Either way, if you didn't play this on the 3DS, by all means get it.

Emblem

Emblem said:

Awesome game, if you haven't played it already £7 is a steal for this treat.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Wish it was cross platform as i already bought it before on 3DS but never gotten around to it. If the reviews are good than maybe i'll get it (8 or 9). Is Mario hiding around? Or is it Dig Dug?

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I enjoyed the 3DS version enough to get it again, but at that price I'll wait for a sale.

And wasn't the game already "clutter free" on the 3DS?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Didn't they hint at a reduced price for current 3ds owners? If not I'll probably wait for a sale.

BertoFlyingFox

BertoFlyingFox said:

I got the first one for free through Club.Nintendo, definitely picking up this versions. The game is good and I absolutely want it on WiiU.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

I played the 3DS version from start to finish in a couple marathon sessions. I will definitely be picking up the Wii U version as well!

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@Mega719 I actually gathered that with your comment but with Smikey saying he's had it for a while made me wonder if it actually was released before ;)

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Will happily double dip on this. I practically squealed when I saw this on the eShop last night.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

This game seems to be so well loved, but whenever I watch gameplay videos it looks like the most incredibly boring gameplay. Digging dirt. Over. And Over. And over.
Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing? I don't want to miss out on what by all accounts seems to be a great game. But at the same time, it's kind of hard to put down $10 on a game that looks so dull.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

@sketchturner That's what people think about a lot of indie games until you actually play it to find out how fun it really is. Don't judge a book by it's cover

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I like it (And I don't generally like Metroidvania's or stuff that has many of the mechanics that this game does). Not sure I will get it for a 3rd time though.

Poki

Poki said:

The game is awesome, played it multiple times on the 3DS. Still, it is the Motherload "clone" (although with many unique ideas) with the least amount of content I played so far. I mean, less than four hours for the first complete play through? That's not enough for such a game in my book.

S3OL

S3OL said:

@sinalefa Was that really necessary, Sin? :p

Day 1 purchase for me. I should have redeemed a second £5 from the Wii U deluxe promotion by then so I'm pretty much sorted.

smikey

smikey said:

@OorWullie

I got mine the same way Nintendo life get theirs the developers gave me a review copy nearly 2 weeks ago
I review all Nintendo games from the nes - wii u & game boy to 3ds (pal & ntsc) on my blog (still getting up & running) & miiverse
it's a long & difficult challange & will take very many years to catch up but I'm up for the challenge of it either way.

I actually have really good relationships with loads of developers / publishers & I've had quite a few e-shop games early including super toy cars, steam world dig, bombinb b*****ds, & a fair few more with many future titles already promised

My entire work life revolves around gaming & Nintendo ;)

Ryno

Ryno said:

Never played it so may get it but backlog is way to big already.

pamplemousse_mk

pamplemousse_mk said:

Sorry, I already bought it last week-end on the PSN. I own the 3DS, the Wii U, the PS Vita, and the PS4. Steamworld Dig is in cross-buy on PS4 and PS Vita, something Nintendo doesn't propose.

SethNintendo

SethNintendo said:

There will be a slight cross buy implementation this gen for 3DS and Wii U. However, I don't see it coming into full force till next gen when they release a hybrid home/portable console which I believe is in the making considering they merged the home and portable console development teams into the same building.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Already bought it (one for me and one for my bro) on 3DS for half price :D so I have no need, good luck with sales though, it was a great game!

Rezalack

Rezalack said:

I'll double dip if their is a discount for owning the 3DS version.. otherwise I'll have to wait for a sale.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

@smikey Ah,nice 1 mate.That is 1 hell of a challenge you have taken up.Will you try to complete each game before doing a review?I wish you all the luck and look forward to seeing your blog when it's ready ;)

bofis

bofis said:

If only there was a discount or cross-buy for those of us who have played it on 3DS already

ejamer

ejamer said:

I probably won't buy again... but wholly recommend the game to anyone who hasn't already played.

smikey

smikey said:

@OorWullie

I do attempt to complete as many as possible (if only I were skilled enough)
for the ones that remain uncompleted it's a minimum 6 hours game play for miiverse reviews & 8 hours for the blog so at least they'e had a decent amount of play / test time
Blog should look at least semi reasonable by the end of august already got pal master lists for nes, wii u, n64, wii ware, wii vc, wii u eshop & wii u vc.
snes, game cube master lists will be complete by the end of august & wii master list by mid september then onto the hand helds
once each games got it's own page it's much faster to start writing up blog reviews until then i'm mostly concentrating on the miiverse reviews (which are much shorter) & making sure each game has it's page layout
I'll be doing the same for the ntsc region from November onwards

thankfully most developers / publishers are interested in my challenge / goals & passion for Nintendo & games on it's systems
Only really had a negative experince with one publisher (no names) but they actually said weren't interested in advertising / promoting older games they've published (by multiple developers some only months old) they are only pushing the newest game.

I'll never be as big or as popular as sites like Nintendo life (neither are my reviews remotely written in a similar way) But it's a project for me as a collector as much as anything and anyone it helps along the way all the better :)

invictus4000

invictus4000 said:

I haven't played this but was tempted. Glad I waited because this sounds like the definitive version. And it sounds like the majority vote is that it's a great game and worth the 10 bucks, huh?
On the related note of double-dipping, how cool would it be if you could "sell back" a digital game to Nintendo? Say you pay 10 bucks for a game on the e-shop, then you can have it deleted and gain, say, 5 bucks back in e-shop credit? If a system like that were in place I'd be purchasing twice as many games digitally.
Too bad Nintendo would NEVER do that...:(

MoonKnight7

MoonKnight7 said:

I usually don't double dip, but I think I will for this one. I know they put a lot of effort into this version. This was a fun little gem.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

If there's no real new content then I shan't be double-dipping except for silly money in a sale. Excellent game that looks lovely on the 3DS with very nice 3D. Looking forward to the sequel, but I think the game is made for DLC.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

The price is great but I already own the 3DS version. Hopefully, a discount will be applied to folks who support both.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I'll probably end up getting it again, hopefully the cross-buy thing is announced though.

123akis

123akis said:

I Haven't got the 3ds version and not sure which version is better; I'll see reviews and other info to decide which version to get.

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Cross buy really would make a lot of sense. There's little point to people paying for an additional copy on another system, but more sales may be encouraged if people knew that they could get two copies for the price of one.