Nintendo Download: 21st August (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Double Dragon's back, classic portable Mega Man, demos, discounts and more

Monday morning can be a slightly bleak time, but it is brightened up by the European Nintendo Download Update that shows us what's on the way in the coming week. It seems like a fairly modest line-up this week, though there are some enticing retro options, demos and some discounts on highly regarded games. Let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

Adventures of Lolo (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — The classic tale of Princess is kidnapped, blue blob must save Princess. So far, so typical NES, though despite ageing in some respects it throws up some fun puzzles and challenges. You can check out our Adventures of Lolo review for the full lowdown.

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Arc System Works. €4.99 / £3.49) — The iconic action beat 'em up series' second NES entry has the grisly premise that you're now avenging a death rather than a kidnapping. Although it improves on some flaws in the original its far from perfect, though we gave it a cautious recommendation in our Double Dragon II: The Revenge review.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Nano Assault NEO [Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.70 until 11th September, normally €9.99 / £8.99)

Chasing Aurora (Broken Rules, €3.49 / £2.99 until 11th September, normally €6.99 / £5.99)

3DS Virtual Console

Mega Man IV (Capcom, €3.99 / £3.59) — While its predecessors on Game Boy often borrowed or directly copied content from the NES Mega Man games, this fourth entry on the venerable portable does the same to a lesser degree and also introduces fresh ideas. Some of its features went on to become mainstays of the series, while this is the work of a development team familiar with the hardware and at the peak of its powers. You can read the enthusiastic recommendation in our Mega Man IV review for more details.

3DS eShop Temporary Discounts

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival (Konami, €19.95 / £17.99 until 5th September, normally €39.95 / £34.99)

Nano Assault EX (Shin'en Multimedia, €7.49 / £6.35 until 11th September, normally €9.99 / £8.49)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (Zordix AB, €5.99 / £5.39 until 18th September, normally €7.99 / £7.19)

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (EnjoyUp Games, €2.69 / £2.69 until 24th September, normally €6.66 / £6.66)

3DS eShop Demos

Tomodachi Life (Nintendo, free)

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (Bplus, free)

That's everything for this week, European gamers. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (179 votes)

Adventures of Lolo (Wii U Virtual Console)

Double Dragon II: The Revenge (Wii U Virtual Console)

Nano Assault NEO (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Chasing Aurora (Wii U eShop temporary discount)

Mega Man IV (3DS Virtual Console)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal World Duel Carnival (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Nano Assault EX (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Aqua Moto Racing 3D (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Van Helsing sniper Zx100 (3DS eShop temporary discount)

Tomodachi Life (3DS eShop demo)

15%

Bit Boy!! ARCADE (3DS eShop demo)

Nothing for me this week

54%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Taggsta

Taggsta said:

Shin'ens games are great, but not a lot else for me. Looking forward to seeing the Smash bros character related discount instead this week

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

The Smash Bros Characters' Sale will most likely be announced on Wednesday, like last week.

BakaKnight

BakaKnight said:

YuGiOh already discounted? O_O;

Gee Konami, the game was already enough "cutted", compared to the japanese version, that your early buyers were already not sure if feel ripped off... now you removed any doubt! >_<;

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

I might pick up Nano Assault Neo, MIGHT, I still believe that's a bit expensive for such a short game (especially in comparison to Nano Assault EX which costs the same). Other than that, I have no interest in any of the other games on offer this week at their current prices.

smikey

smikey said:

Another quiet week
But at least it's steam world dig on wii u in europe next week.
I got my wii u copy last week and have most enjoyed it (never played the 3ds one)
what games Nintendo will put in the sale with smash bros regulars might be interesting but I'll likely own them all the only 2 I didn't have from last weeks sale was mega man 5 & 6

deKay

deKay said:

I presume the Tomodachi demo is the same one they already gave out?

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Wow, that's not a bad price for WDC, and just when I was getting back into Yu-Gi-Oh! too! ;)

"this fourth and final entry on the venerable portable"
@ThomasBW84 But...I thought they made five MM games for Game Boy. My collection plan is mapped out to accommodate five games! :(

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

Mega Man IV for me, having fun with MMIII so the next game will be that much better.
As much as I'd love it to come here, I'm not gonna expect Shovel Knight for a while because the localisation process is Yacht Club Games' issue, not just Nintendo's. Plus if this is anything to go by, it's gonna be a while.

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

As usual Shin'en doesn't understand that when you do a discount you usually cut more than €1,50

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

@spizzamarozzi ...But the discount is lower than that, its 2,50€. I'd much rather have a 50% discount than a 25% one but yeah, at least it's better than what EnjoyUp gave us with the recent Unepic sale (1,50€ off and you had to own Abyss to get the discount).

KTT

KTT said:

Finally! Tomodachi Life demo. I'm on the fence way too long time and waited for that demo.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

So, the NES Remix game discount bonanza is closing... it was fun while it lasted.

Still waiting for the big number of Spikes and Shovel Knight.

As for the titles mentioned in the original post, nothing for me. Maybe the Smash Bros discounts, if there are any, will change the situation.

Vhyper1985

Vhyper1985 said:

@GamerZack7 Mega Man V is the best one in terms of Gameboy games, the previous 4 entries use recycled bosses from the NES games whereas V is entirely new! It also has more story, a new type of Mega Buster main weapon, a new helper in the form of Tango the cat & the final boss is quite a surprise too...

Goginho

Goginho said:

So. Much. Megaman. Every week it's Megaman (it seems like). I'm getting tired of it. Man, we haven't got to see some Mario in a while, while Megaman steals the spotlight, being offered, like, 6 times more than Mario or Zelda combined :P jeez. There are so many games out there waiting to be offered, and yet...Megaman lol
Nothing changes in the eShop. No new consoles added. No news about it. Nothing :/

PAppleyard

PAppleyard said:

I will get double dragon 2 cause I love all things Double Dragon but where's Shovel Knight?!

smikey

smikey said:

@Goginho
Capcom said a while ago they'd put out at least 1 megaman game a week for the whole of August so brace yourself for gameboy mega man 5 next week

& I thought everyone in europe was well aware by now Shovel knights is months away!!!

not one or 2 weeks months!

I'm guessing every week the where is shovel knight in the european download post will resemble the where is mario 3 & mario kart in the usa ones earlier this year.

They got their games & we'll get shovel knight just much closer to Xmas than August

Goginho

Goginho said:

@smikey Oh, well that makes sense. I was wondering why we're getting so much Megaman. But still, it seems like an overdose, if you ask me. Maybe I'm just biased though ;)

S3OL

S3OL said:

What a dismal week... After the good week we had last week, this is slightly depressing.

Although it's probably good, because I need to work on saving money rather than spending it. :p

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

Quite happy about a Tomodachi Life Demo, no idea if it's my sort of game, and being extra careful buying games at the moment.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@WaLzgi Thanks for the link. That progress bar hasent moved a bit...
It seems as if this is one of the most text heavy games out there, putting the likes of Dragon Age and Elder Scrolls to shame :P

In all seriousness, why is it taking so long ? Text translation cant be the reason can it ? At this rate, we probably wont see the game untill mid 2015 in Europe and Australia / Japan will see it even later.

@Topic
As usual, expanding my MegaMan collection ;)

tysonfury

tysonfury said:

I hope all these Mega Man releases are part of a deal that Nintendo has signed with Capcom, and in return Capcom will become an official 2nd-party developer, do all the legwork of porting Nintendo and third party VC titles from now on, and release HD Wii U exclusive remakes of all the Resident Evils, Street Fighters and Monster Hunter games

I hope.

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

I never got a chance with Tomodachi Life, mainly because MK8 came out the week before and some Vita games seemed more appealing. I may get into it yet, if the demo pleases me!

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

@OrangeCluster you're right mate, I miscalculated!! Anyway, 25% is not a very attractive discount for a 10 euro game! From what we're used to on the eShop, 40% to 50% is the standard for a one week only offer.

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

I really want the Nano Assaults but the discounts if you can call them that are to small so i'll have to wait for them to do a proper sale.

OrangeCluster

OrangeCluster said:

@spizzamarozzi Yeah I head ya, I wouldn't think twice if it was 50% off, though at 25% I'm still trying to decide if it's worth it or not.

@unrandomsam It has 4 Clusters, each with 3 stages and a boss battle at the end which'll take about 2 to 3 hours to beat, if you're good at it. There are also online leaderboards and a few extra modes but yeah, it's a bit light on content.

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

I thought there were Wii u demos after reading the sub header.......shame, it's been a very long time since a company was brave enough the give a free demo to try before we buy

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

@emeyece that's not up to Nintendo atm. They are still working on implementing the translations & testing. Nintendo will be the last stage (release).

Andyv01

Andyv01 said:

Starting to wish Zordix would just permanently reduce the price for their moto racing games instead of sales every other week. This tactic dosnt seem to be shifting many copies according to their eshop popularity positions : /

tovare

tovare said:

The Nano assault games are good shooters on both Wii U and 3DS. My favorite is the 3DS version, but i play the wii u version more frequently for some quick fun. Get both ! :-)

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@tovare I got the Nano Assault Neo demo on Wii U and didn't enjoy it, so I recommend people try the demo before they buy.

fearofthesky

fearofthesky said:

Why on earth is Nano Assault EX not in the Australian eShop? What the hell. I am getting SO loving TIRED OF THIS poopoodoodoocacapoopledooplediggiedoggiedoop.
Please watch the profanity — TBD

Vader_MIB

Vader_MIB said:

It won't make me take back my 3DS which is sleeping in my desk for 2 months already...

YANDMAN

YANDMAN said:

@emeyece i was talking to some of the guys who made shovel knight yesterday and was informed that its still a little ways off, They have been met by tons of red tape to get a euro release but they are approx half way through the proceedings. They realise how much we all want it and its their no.1 priority.

Zerodactyl

Zerodactyl said:

@Vriess Thanks for the website! Seems like Shovel Knight will come out in Europe in a bit of time (I've had £15 left on my eShop account for Shovel Knight and it's been there for a long time).

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

@Josaku
I predict that everything I want from eShop will be released when Smash Bros 3DS arrives. It's only SSB for a while for me after that.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Einherjar No prob. I just wanted everyone to stop pointing their finger at the wrong party (Nintendo) when the game hasn't even been submitted yet