Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Influenced by Legend of Zelda and Secret of Mana

Fans of download games inspired by retro titles should perhaps pay attention to Midora, which has hit its funding target on Kickstarter and will, as a result, eventually arrive on the Wii U and 3DS.

With under a day of funding to go the project has raised over $67,000 of its $60,000 target; despite the Wii U and 3DS versions being listed as a stretch goal for $80,000, all that target will do is accelerate the porting process. The PC version is targeting January 2015, so if that extra target is hit it's conceivable the eShop stores could see the title in a similar timeframe — if not there'll be an additional wait. In any case, pledges of $10 and above will have the choice of a console version.

With an overworld, dungeons and items certainly reminiscent of major '90s titles, this has clearly captured the imagination of its 3000+ backers. Check out the pitch video below and let us know what you think.

Thanks to Matthew for the heads up.

[via kickstarter.com]

HarryK

HarryK said:

They are not making a secret out of the influence Minish Cap has. They drew everything from scratch though, as they have shown in an update on Kickstarter. I can live pretty well with a spiritual Minish Cap successor.

ekreig

ekreig said:

Sweet, looks like something I would try! Best of luck to the developers.

Stu13

Stu13 said:

Yup. I am about this. After falling in love with Minish Cap all over again with its VC release I am very excited for Midora.

SageWaterDragon

SageWaterDragon said:

Holy mother of misleading titles, Batman! There's a very real chance that it won't come to the Wii U and 3DS.

Porky

Porky said:

Didn't Nintendo Life post a weekly article of Kickstarters successful or not and chances of others?

argol228

argol228 said:

@Kewlan yes...you are the ONLY person to have ever thought that. you are a singular special snowflake in all the world.

ZeroZX_Dev

ZeroZX_Dev said:

Oh my car, these assets and aren't just similar, they're flat out ripped for from Minish Cap! One of the stretch goals better be redrawing everything, because I'm pretty sure they can get sued for that. :-/

Usagi-san

Usagi-san said:

1. Go to 0.26 in the video and take a snapshot of the tools on the table
2. open your favourite photo editing software and flip the image vertically
3. visit the blacksmith in Minish cap

they LITERALLY traced the same tools and flipped them! If you can't accuse these people of ripping artwork you can certainly accuse them of being damn lazy! They can't even make original artwork for the tools sitting on a table!

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

There seems to be a delay between the enemy getting hurt and her swinging a sword.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

To me it looks an awful lot like the Pokémon games on GBA and DS. Visually at least. Not gameplay-wise, obviously.

Hernandez

Hernandez said:

Over 200 items? Sounds like a mess. In this type of game less is more, just look at A Link Between Worlds...

vamkar

vamkar said:

I wish more KS projects would take some notes from this Midora project because this is the first time I've seen a project creator say that they will make the 3ds/wiiu version regardless if the stretch goal is not reached.

Spuratis

Spuratis said:

Color me interested. Like many have stated before this looks a lot like Minish Cap which is one of my favorite Zelda games. Throw in the crafting and material collecting/fishing, this sounds like it could be right up my alley. Glad to see it's coming to Wii U.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Nice looking game, I look forward to its release in 2016. And no that's not a typo, these kickstarter devs have no concept of how long it takes to make a game.

Gunorgunorg

Gunorgunorg said:

This doesn't just look like Minish Cap. It lookes Ripped from Minish Cap with the charcters changed

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

I was considering this one, but then I watched the video, and recognised a lot of the sprites (mostly background and floor title) from iOS games I've played that were in a similar vein… I think one of them was Queen's Crown… which seems to have now deleted my save since I last played it an age ago… Blast.
Anyway, point is that the style of game and art were almost suspiciously similar to many iOS action RPGs…

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Emblem Well, technically, every screen is made up of pixels :P
What you probably mean is pixel art ;) But enough wisecracking :P

To be perfectly honest, i appreciate a good 2D action adventure anyday, but this one does look an awefull lot like (just like @ChessboardMan said) a slapped together phone game without its own personality.

Inspired by minish cap or not, a game should at least have its own, unique appearance and style. Its not bad looking, dont get me wrong, but its severely lacking personality.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@Kewlan If ever anything looked a hell of a lot like Minish Cap, it's this. But that's not a bad thing unless it turns out to be a bad game just looking like an awesome one.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Most of these fake retro indie games suck harder than a pink roasted kirby.
The retro revival around the time mega man 9 came out was just amazing, exciting and a big fresh zap to the industry where the focus was always on Modern next gen 3D visuals. But these days, The amount of fake retro indie games is getting irritating and there's zero quality control.

And again, it's just more indies plaguarizing from popular renowned franchises and drizzling it in a new skin. Life's too short for the samle 'ol same ol' I personally haven't played much of the Minish cap, but i'd rather get the real deal than another copy cat indie offering.

Dezzy

Dezzy said:

Looks great. It's shocking how quick people are to try and demonize something. Clearly they copied some of the art from Minish Cap. But it's obviously their own work. If they'd just straight stole in, it'd be a lower resolution and would show a clear difference from the rest of the art. Which it doesn't. How many games have stolen to art style of minecraft for god's sake?

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Takes a bit too much from Minish Cap's art style. Heck, many of the assets look like they were just copies adjusted a little. Regardless; looks great.

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@WaveBoy
pat and ian were discussing this a few days ago on their podcast via youtube.
quality control and all

Action51

Action51 said:

Gorgeous art direction, even if it is copied largely from Zelda and Lufia...

This is what it looks like when indie developers have real artists on their teams.

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Title:"Retro-Styled 2D Action Adventure, Midora, Hits Funding Target and Will Come to Wii U and 3DS"
Article:"With under a day of funding to go the project has raised over $67,000 of its $60,000 target; despite the Wii U and 3DS versions being listed as a stretch goal for $80,000,"
Most misleading title ever NintendoLife. I thought you were better than this.

Action51

Action51 said:

@WaveBoy - come on dude...

The only thing that's changed is that now there is a lot of shovelware and mobile ports mixed in with the great indie titles, so you have to do a little more sifting to get to the good stuff. There's just as many great indie games now.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@SkywardLink98
What's misleading about it? The next part says that it'll be coming to 3DS and Wii U, just not as fast as if it had reached the stretch goals.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Action51
There's always been shovelware to some degree on every system known to -he-man. All the way back to the NES, the Playstation 1, Wii, you name it. For every 20 sucky games you will get 1 or maybe 2 good ones. The Sifting cycle continues, even more so in the indie world.

I want to see original Indie efforts with new styles of gameplay without heavily borrowing from the classics. I think LostWinds back on the Wii surprised me the most. i really enjoyed that one. :*

But at the same time, it's very hard to innovative when it comes to lets say Action based sidescrollers without borrowing from some other franchise. Here we are thousands and thousands of games later since the Atari 2600/Arcade/NES era(The NES erea was host to so many innovative games, but it was the beginning after all) and a lot of it these days feels like it's already been done before. There's only so many stories you can tell around the camp fire.

Shovel Knight has even borrowed Zelda IIs/DuckTales down thrust/hopping mechanic, but other than that the game still has it's own unique flare. What other game has you attacking with a shovel? Swinging a shovel on it's own against baddies would have it's own distinct feel in itself.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I really like the art style. It looks inspired by Minish Cap, but to me, it definitely looks like it's their own style and I think it's lovely.

World

World said:

The sprite art looks good to me, but I haven't played Minish Cap. However, and this isn't a deal-breaker, but the menus look TERRIBLE. Like, why couldn't they be cutesy sprite art too?

InfernoUprising

InfernoUprising said:

i will have to keep watching this one because it looks good! i will definitely read Nintendo Life's thorough review.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

The areas look too spacey and not filled (in dungeons)

Also, SoM? I just hope its like SD3, because the waiting time from SoM is merp (they fixed/made it better in SD3)

Squid

Squid said:

So it takes $67,000 to make a Minish Cap ripoff? There's a difference between being inspired by a game, and ultimately copying it.

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

This is the peak of the glut! The excess of games hitting Kickstarter can be likened to the selling of offal as meat. We've had all of these loosely branded Indie titles hitting Kickstarter, onto Steam, onto the Humble Store, then onwards to consoles! Mark my words, the end of Indie gaming is over! We've had more games released on Steam in 2014 do far than in 2013 and 2012 put together! And they ALWAYS make their way this side of gaming. The end is nigh!!!

... Sadly...

... Undeniably...

... must...buy...more...bundles... GAMES!! ...

Windy

Windy said:

Omg my life is RPG gaming on 3ds. Its such a great time to be a gamer no matter what your choice of system is! So many great games on every platform! 3DS I choose you! I'm getting this on Eshop first day.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Emblem
I'm only tired of 'indie' pixels. ;)
I wish capcom or konami would do another sprite based Mega Man or castlevania, rather than the Fauxe retro onslaught of Duo developer Basement dwellers.

OptometristLime

OptometristLime said:

Well... darn, am I the only one supporting this?

Looks cool and they have a lot of momentum in these final minutes.

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

I just finished Minish Cap on the Wii U VC recently, but as long as Midora has its own unique gameplay elements, I'd be more than willing to give it a try.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wowzers! That looks ripped straight out of Minish Cap! I'm suprised Nintendo is even allowing this game to exist! I'll happily buy it on the Wii U eShop when it arrives. At least someone's making a Minish Cap sequel even if Nintendo themselves aren't ;)

Henmii

Henmii said:

This is CLEARLY a Minish cap rip-off! I hoped for a hommage, but this just looks like ripping off.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

I love Minish Cap and it's art style, I would welcome a game inspired by Minish Cap, but as said above, this is not just inspired by, it's ripped off completely. Get some imagination over your designs people, or you would risk getting sued.