You'll be Able to Play as the Girl Villager in Super Smash Bros.

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Sakurai-san - "how lovely"

With Super Smash. Bros. on 3DS just months away, sitting pretty with a Summer release window, we're starting to get to the nitty-gritty of details in Masahiro Sakurai's Miiverse posts. His latest 'pic of the day' shows us the greater flexibility that we may see in character customisation or, in some cases, variations of character models.

We already know of the ability to switch between the female and male Wii Fit Trainers, and Sakurai-san has now provided the following update stating that a similar choice will be available with The Villager.

Pic of the day. You can choose to play as the girl villager too!! How lovely.

The Villager's move-set certainly looks like one of the most challenging in the game — if you can hit anyone with that chopping tree animation, you'll be on great form. Will you be alternating between the different character options?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

Pretty cool - makes me wish that Dixie-Kong is a Diddy alternative skin - it could work!

2Sang

2Sang said:

@erv Please undastand.
@warbeard I'm guessing she'll not be a skin because she's one of the most likely to be a new character.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Awesome! I'm glad the villager has some more variety now. Looking forward to burying people in a waste deep grave with that yellow shirted dude.

SuperChutney

SuperChutney said:

Awesome. I'll probably stick with default Villager, but not offering female skins would have run against the philosophy of Animal Crossing.

MrMario02

MrMario02 said:

Maybe there will be one with orange hair and a purple shirt. I can already see what that would look like.....
Untitled

Iggly

Iggly said:

I was hoping for this to be confirmed as I asked myself about a female skin for the Villager when they showed off Male Wii Fit Trainer. Looks like I have even more purpose to play as the Villager.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

Great! I'll still play the default villager since that's who my New Leaf villager looks like besides the hair and clothes. My sister will be happy to see the sparkly-eyed villager in the games who's most like her New Leaf villager.

It's just nice that there seems to be more designs for the villager, which isn't surprising considering the very wide variety of styles they can take. This is more proof these new Smash Bros. games are going to have plenty of designed characters.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Super Smash Bros. has never had so many female characters. Good.
However, did you wonder what would happen with other characters' alternate costumes? What about, say... Sonic and MegaMan?!
Now that you've passed out, my job here is done.
[flies away]

HAL9000

HAL9000 said:

My wife and I are overjoyed that Smash bros. will have gender equality in characters. This is awesome so she can play as her character model in animal crossing. Thank you Nintendo!

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I like the green dressed girl's style, I'll probably be switching between her and the original villager. I don't like football tees!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Awesome. My daughter recently picked up Animal Crossing New Leaf and really enjoys it. I'll be curious to see if this character choice proves a gateway for her playing Smash Bros., but I doubt it given her reaction to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

What's with making fun of Iwata's accent? Learning another language ain't that easy, you know? ;)

I like this. Please have SS Zelda as a skin for Zelda. Pls!!!

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@AlexSora89 Well the other Megamans might well be possible, since their skins are already included for the Final Smash, but I'd be worried about their hit boxes. Or were you suggesting Roll, Bass and Protoman? Which might well be possible, but at least one of those will be a support trophy I'd imagine… I can't remember, does Megaman swap colours when he uses different weapons? If not, then Different Weapon Megamans might be a more likely alternative.
As for Sonic… Sonic Boom Sonic might be an interesting inclusion, as might Shadow and Metal Sonic, but others like Amy, Knunkles and Sliver, have move sets that are too different from Sonic, so I can't see them working.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

@Kro
Perhaps because they respect him? Unlike most of the underage brats on Miiverse that can't even spell his name right.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ChessboardMan Yes, he does swap colors with different weapons, but it wouldn't make sense for THAT to be the different skin for him. Those color swaps would just be the regular color changes for teams and such. No, the alternate skins are more unique than that. So my guess is a Protoman skin since they function similarly. Or maybe helmetless Megaman.

Light

Light said:

I think that this is a smart move for nintendo, it gives the game a bit more character and also appeals to the female gamers out there. Great!

JakeOfAllTrades

JakeOfAllTrades said:

Perhaps there will be an NFP figure for the villager, so you can upload it straight into Smash from AC:NL...

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@TeeJay well obviously if he's already swapping colours to use different weapons, then that isn't a option for what they can use for different player skins, that's what I was saying, that it would only be a possibility if he Didn't change colours to use weapons.

Considering all the GB MM titles coming to the VC at the moment, I'd be surprised if we don't see GB Megaman.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@Ichiban if you expect Static images to blink, either you're crazy or a wizard.
See a doctor in either case, as you might be mistaken if you believe the latter.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ChessboardMan Oh was that question referring to Megaman in Smash? Sorry I thought you meant in his games in general. In Smash he'll be using a moveset based on pervious robot masters he's defeated, so he will stay his usual blue color. Otherwise he'd be changing colors by the second!

So that's why I say either Protoman or Helmetless Megaman would be logical alternate skins for him, since his color changes will be reserved for regular team colors and maybe a couple other colors like Dark Megaman or something.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

@Bulbousaur
A thousand times this! I'm hoping awakening gets some love in some form and Lucina was my personal favourtie character + we haven't had a female Fire Emblem Character be playable yet! Sort it out Sakarai ; )

olander4

olander4 said:

Uh oh, now we're gonna read criticisms that Smash Bros. has no gay characters.

ChessboardMan

ChessboardMan said:

@TeeJay have you seen previous Smash games? They've previously had no quarrel with simple palette swaps for most characters, and using a strange coloured sheen to represent teams… I don't think they're going to have entirely different skins as the norm for player "skins", I think the villager and fit trainers are more the exceptions than the rule.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

@ChessboardMan I think it's been pretty much widely accepted at this point that they're making an effort to give every character at least one alternate skin this time around. Remember that Little Mac also has that grid design for his alternate skin.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

For once I think the male option in a Japanese developed game is more visually appealing than the female option.

brewsky

brewsky said:

@DarkKirby I'm a little disappointed that the Villager design is not from New Leaf. I think the villagers appearance, both male and female, is superior is New Leaf compared to past entries.

Ttimer

Ttimer said:

@Giygas_95 I think they were having the mindset of using the first versions of them. Just like how they made megaman, they used the villagers. Probably in the next Smash Bros, if villager is back, they will use their newer versions.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Finally confirmed this! I have been wanting it confirmed since the villager announcement and basically deemed it obvious after the male wii fit trainer was introduced.

Melkac

Melkac said:

I...honestly think those are some pretty ugly skins. I'll be playing as Killager.

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Yes. If im correct, the girl villager uses the same moveset.
This is what nintendo should have done since brawl.
Project M does this, and they managed to sneak in Dr. Mario, as an alternate custom from mario (with electricity and all)
Same for other special models.

HandheldGuru97

HandheldGuru97 said:

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't remember how many color/costume swaps per character in Brawl, but either way I'll be the 2nd girl (brown haired if I must really get specific). Look close enough to my character in New Leaf!

Mr_Video

Mr_Video said:

I'm glad to see that they're thinking beyond recolors this time around, alternate skins have always felt like such a missed opportunity in the Smash Bros. series.

SurferClock

SurferClock said:

Hurray for the facially-similar villager I got in AC:NL making it in to Brawl! Now to do something about that hair...

Amateur

Amateur said:

Dem constumes. I love them they are a amazing set of clothing I would not mind using.

SleepyCrossing

SleepyCrossing said:

How fitting that the female character on the end is wearing the "turnip dress". As someone who has over 265 hours in New Leaf (at last count), I'm majorly excited for The Villager to be included in Brawl. I actually just found my old Wild World cartridge last night! Oh how I wish I didn't trade in City Folk.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Now imagine RE4 gameplay, with these villagers instead of the -I believe it was- gonado's. Pitchfork- and chainsaw wielding, axe-throwing, and bullet-catching-and-putting-in-the-pocket-for-later-use...

mastermp2

mastermp2 said:

My alternate costumes choices
-Samus military outfit and haircut from Other M for ZZS
-Rosalina's fire flower look from 3D World with ponytail
-Lucina as an alternate choice from Marth
-Samus fusion suit
-Mario characters sports outfit (from strikers, and tennis)
-Mario with a cape (Super Mario World)
-Samus' orange outfit from Zero mission's result screen for ZSS
-Samus' white training outfit from Fusion result screen (Japan) for ZSS
-Fox's look from Star Fox assault (to be honest his best so far. Looks pretty mature for the character's age and experience)
-Little mac's pink training suit
-Doc Louis suit for Little Mac

xerneas

xerneas said:

Yaaay! :) The girl's hair sucks tho. Why no new leaf models nuuu

Why I had never thought of Lucina as alternate skin for Marth? That would be so rad! Wow, I hope they do that (+ add Chrom)

LoveFireEmblem

LoveFireEmblem said:

I've thought about alternative costumes like this since brawl, good to see they're finally doing it.
And to whoever mentioned Lucina costume for Marth, HellzYeah!