PC Engine And MSX Games Coming To Japanese 3DS And Wii U Virtual Console Services

Posted by Damien McFerran

Retro goodies promised for next week

Nintendo has confirmed that it is expanding both the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console services in Japan to cover additional systems.

On the 25th December, PC Genjin (600 Yen) and Parodius (800 Yen) will be hitting the Wii U Virtual Console — titles which originally released on the PC Engine and MSX respectively.

On the same day, the 3DS Virtual Console will also receive The Kung Fu and Gradius — both of which are PC Engine titles. They will retail for 600 Yen each.

Are you happy to finally see the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console services grow in scope? Let us know by posting a comment.

[via nintendo.co.jp, search1.nintendo.co.jp]

Related Games

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I am happy to have a new console on the 3DS VC (and on Christmas!), but I do wish we had a better game than The Kung Fu.

I was wondering when they would get this article up on the site. They've shown up on the VC update on the Japanese Nintendo page hours ago. haha

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

Any info on price for people who have transferred the game from their Wii? Any similar discounts to the NES and SNES games?

Edit: just checked. It does say preferential price for Wii version owners but doesn't say how much.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

@Bass_X0 Really? Hmm...I guess I just forgot about them :/
I tried to avoid using WiiWare and Wii VC, because of those dang coins and the fact, that I couldn't find them ANYWHERE near my hometown ^^

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Not exactly thrilled about this. More consoles already supported on Wii VC, that will undoubtedly produce more titles already available on Wii VC. Except MSX, and if it wasn't available outside of Japan during the Wii era, I doubt it will this time. So, Japan will get more of the same!

I'd be excited if they were supporting the likes of Saturn or Dreamcast, but not over this. Already, we barely see actual, you know, HANDHELD 3DS VC games. This just tells me to expect more of the same from both VC services, so at the expense of sounding negative, I'm going to continue going into Thursdays with reasonably low expectations. :p Nice thing about that is what a wonderful surprise it is when something special pops up on either VC!

On a side note, interesting that non-Nintendo consoles have been announced before N64 on Wii U VC. Wonder if there is emulation difficulty?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"Hopefully some — if not all — of these titles will be making the jump over to the west in the not too distant future."

The Kung Fu can stay in Japan, by all means.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@FluttershyGuy You do sound really negative, but after looking at the low amount of support the VCs get in the west, its understandable.

Just look at how many games we've gotten recently. We had a really big dry spell for anything other than Famicom/NES games for like 3 months, and then all of a sudden we got a huge boost in the other platforms.

The PC Engine makes sense, since in its time it was really popular in Japan. I just consider it a bonus.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

If MSX games can be released, why can't Rare's games? Do Microsoft not own the rights to MSX games?

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@Nintenjoe64 The MSX isn't an MS console. It's a computer standard with various companies like MS and Sony involved. Like hiptanaka says, MS doesn't own any more rights to MSX games than to Windows games.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Nintenjoe64 It seems that even though they were involved in the creation (this is Microsoft of Japan, not the main company it seems), they don't hold the trademark. It looks like its been moved quite a bit.

I was always a Nintendo guy since I was a kid, so I never got to play a lot of these games until the VCs. I'm a bit excited, especially since there are SO many PC Engine games.

EDIT: In Japan I mean!

Ultrasyd

Ultrasyd said:

Awesome ! I own a PC engine but some games I'd prefer to play on Wii U (like 4 or 5 players Bombemran)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wow! Finally TurboGrafx-16 games come to the 3DS Virtual Console. If I recall correctly Nintendo promised TurboGrafx games were coming to the 3DS VC when they first announced 3DS was getting VC games... Hopefully they don't take this long to bring GBA & N64 games to Wii U VC...

Edit: I also hope these games leave Japan, I'd buy a few.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

So this is confirmation that the lineup of consoles on the 3DS VC isn't final. I've looked around at several sites and while most of them for the longest had the PC Engine as "TBA", they also had SNES/Super Famicom, Neo Geo and Neo Geo Pocket Color, and Game Boy Advance as "TBA" as well. It gives me hope that some of these systems will make it eventually. And the PC Engine being added is going to give the Japanese VC an even bigger boost that what we had in the past weeks.

I'd love for GBA games to get on the 3DS. I know people say its not going to happen, but there's hope, and if not then there's always the next handheld :)

I'm not even worrying about the 3DS not getting the MSX games. It was Japanese only, and yes I live in Japan, but there were only 13 on the Wii VC.

MAB

MAB said:

MEH! there wasn't much good stuff on Wii TG-16 VC anyway. Just keep those MD 3D classics coming on 3DS and put SEGA consoles up on WiiU VC... Atleast we know they does VC consistently ;)

ETLN

ETLN said:

I wonder if the western titles will be announced on the Nintendo Direct coming up. Be nice if they give an update on the GBA and N64 games. I still think the GBA on the Wii U is a weird choice, seems more logical to release them on the 3DS given the games were designed with small portable screens in mind.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@ETLN
Especially given how Nintendo has been gung-ho on keeping the Wii Virtual Console "home console only" while the 3DS VC has always been "handheld only" so far. Then again, the 3DS can rely on the NES... I hope that's not the justification for keeping the GBA VC WiiU-only.

ReigningSemtex

ReigningSemtex said:

As much as I love retro consoles and games a lot of people want Saturn, dreamcast and Gamecube games and understandably so they all have some real gems I don't know why SEGA and Nintendo don't make this happen on wii u.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Damo Sorry. In Japan we're still at early evening at this time. I do know there are people who stay up late (I'm originally from the UK), but yeah, living in Japan so long sometimes I do forget, and this is my main free time after my job finishes.
And yes to ELTN I think GBA on the WiiU is a weird choice, since 3DS gamers want handheld games on their VC. I read once that there was an issue within the programming for GBA on the VC, which makes their decision to have the Ambassador program include poorly emulated GBA games as part of the deal a little strange. It seems like they're stuck with that choice. I don't think it would take that much work, but going back on the exclusivity and making a new system for having GBA VC games on the 3DS seems like something they gave up on. I'm not 100% sure so don't quote me on this, but it does seem like something that they're not wanting to deal with, rather than something they CAN do.

FX102A

FX102A said:

There were several TG16 shmu'ups I wanted to get on the Wii VC but I held off buying anymore beyond Gate of Thunder cos I didn't want to transfer all my Wii data to Wii U. Hope they add them soon cos they'll probably look better on the Gamepad rather than a 46 inch LED.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

X68000 is what they should go for it has the bwst versions of everything on it pretty much.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Great news!! I was afraid Wii U's VC was going to end up a lot less diverse than Wii's, so it's great to see this news. Now bring on the cross-buy boys!

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

I wonder if & when the CD titles come to the Wii U Virtual Console, would they still use the heavily compressed audio like the Wii or are they going to release the uncompressed audio.

If it's the latter I would find it worthwhile to update my CD titles then.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Give me Master System, Nintendo 64 and (yes) Gamecube titles for the West, and I'll be happy.

ETLN

ETLN said:

I wonder if Nintendo has plans to release Wii games digitally. I don't see why they couldn't do that given the Wii mode could run the games. Perhaps they could simulate the disc drive somehow to get them to run. I suppose the biggest issue is if the flash memory or a external HDD could keep up with the transfer speeds of the Wii disc. There's certainly some Wii games I'd still like to play.

jord91

jord91 said:

wii u desperately needs arcade,saturn, dreamcast and gamecube titles otherwise their will be no growth between the consoles in terms of their vc service which is pretty bad.
And 3ds needs wonderswan, lynx ,gba even virtual boy titles things that will draw interest for being new and interesting weve had all this stuff before!?

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

"Are you happy to finally see the 3DS and Wii U Virtual Console services grow in scope?"

Well, no, because we still don't have GBA or SNES games on the 3DS; the ones that people care about the most.

Morph

Morph said:

Not really bothered about this to be honest, i would really like to see neo geo, saturn and dreamcast on the wii u virtual console and gba on the 3ds

Mommar

Mommar said:

It's cool they're adding PC Engine games to the 3DS virtual console. But why not start adding some actual SNES games now? We've already received some Genesis ports and now PC Engine. Let's just jump all the machines who competed with each onto the handheld. I'd prefer to play them on the 3DS versus the WiiU anyway.

Mrclaycoat

Mrclaycoat said:

PC engine games were available on the Wii in North Amercia, so I see no reason why they can't be ported to the WiiU. I wanna play Gradius 2 on the game pad!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Nice. If they start releasing stuff that didn't appear on the Wii, I just might upgrade my Japanese Wii to a Japanese Wii U!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

What's the difference between NES Gradius and TG-16 Gradius?? I'd much rather have Blazing LaZers.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I hope they do bring it to the west soon, I would enjoy playing Castlevenia: Rondo of Blood on the gamepad...

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

It's a good step forward. Now bring all Sega consoles, Neo Geo, and arcade and we can get to business.

Pahvi

Pahvi said:

I'm still hoping for MSX games to come over to Europe - Metal Gear, Nemesis 2 and 3, Salamander, Knightmare, Knightmare 2: Maze of Galious (which, I hear, was an inspiration for La Mulana)... All these were Konami games. Still, considering this didn't happen with the Wii VC, I doubt it'll happen with the Wii U VC either. (I still have my MSX and its games around... somewhere.)

Mattiator

Mattiator said:

This gives me faint hope for the MSX version (not as good as the SCD port but oh well) release of SNATCHER to be on a VC.

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

It has been a long wait, now lets hope it is a short wait for them to come over from Japan.

Windy

Windy said:

This is good news ....I was hoping somebody would grab the bull by the horns though and bring out all the the PCEngine games in the 3d classics line. Sega has proven that its 3d Classics can shine like they are brand spankin new retail games :) I guess that might be too much to ask of Konami

Windy

Windy said:

@FluttershyGuy I have no Clue why VC games Trickle out. Seriously there should be 3 to 5 coming out per week. It just boggles the mind as to whynot

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

Personally I find the Wii U VC a disappointment. No N64 and only a handful of SNES titles. I don't think their is a hope in hell of ever seeing Gamecube games on it because Nintendo know they can give them a HD makeover and charge full whack.

I spent over €250 euro on Wii VC and I'm not about to buy the same games again. I didn't do a system transfer because I still play and love my Wii but I believe I should be able to download all the games I bought, to my Wii U, free of charge and still have them on my Wii.