Nintendo Has A "Continuing Relationship" With Minecraft Studio Mojang

Posted by Damien McFerran

But there's no news of a Wii U or 3DS version

Minecraft is massive — but you surely don't need us to tell you that. The indie game started life as a PC title but has since made the jump to Xbox 360 and smartphones, picking up millions of new players as a result.

The question of Minecraft coming to Nintendo platforms has been asked before, but that didn't stop GameSpot asking again at PAX Prime. The site spoke to business development manager Dan Adelman and senior manager of marketing for licensing Damon Baker, who said:

Dan Adelman: "What can we say on that front? [laughs]."

Damon Baker: "We're big fans. We have a continuing relationship with Mojang, and respect all the work that they're doing, but no announcements at this time."

"Continuing relationship" could mean anything — Nintendo could be exchanging a few friendly emails with Mojang from time to time — but we'd like to assume that something more substantial could be announced in the not-too-distant future. Minecraft would work really well on both of Nintendo's current platforms thanks to touchscreen tech, and we're sure there are plenty of players willing to take the plunge. Are you one of them? Drop a comment to let us know.

TourianTourist

TourianTourist said:

Minecraft is today what Mario, Tetris and Zelda used to be in the 80s and 90s. It's huge. And Nintendo is missing out here.

I would love to play Minecraft on the Wii U GamePad.

deusy

deusy said:

Never played Minecraft, but it seems like it would fit well with Wii U.

Bobberella77

Bobberella77 said:

If they bring it out on WiiU i would be over the moon but I am not going to hold my breath.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Minecraft would be great on WiiU and probably on 3DS too. On mobiles is not very fun thanks to the touch-only controls.

Sonic128

Sonic128 said:

Minecraft NEEDS to come to Wii U!!! It will sell well, i'm sure of it. Maybe they're just waiting until the Wii U has a bigger install base.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I think I'd love to play Minecraft on the Wii U gamepad. Ever since I bought Art Academy: Sketchpad, I'm feeling a lot more creative than I've ever been haha

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

This and strategy games like Total War,Command and Conquer etc are where the Gamepad could really show off how useful it is and could appeal to gamers who would not normally go near a Nintendo machine,more than likely they will never come though.Even games like Worms and Lemmings would benefit greatly from having the touchscreen.So much potential there for the Gamepad that will probably never be fulfilled.Wonder if we'll we even see a Battalion Wars?!

banacheck

banacheck said:

Yes Nintendo has an excellent Relationship with 3rd parties, thats why there games are not coming out for there platform.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Minecraft on the Wii U would work excellent. Crafting, having the map would be brilliant and having the ability of switching items with the hotkey layout.

rixard

rixard said:

I have played Minecraft on PC since it went beta. I have played many many hours. I have the 360 version and it isn't as fun because of the UI. Minecraft would be a perfect fit for the gamepad. As people have mentioned; crafting, map and hotkeys. Voice chat, text chat on the pad etc. I really hope Nintendo will reach out to Mojang.

milojica

milojica said:

If they manage somehow to enlist minecraft with mods on WiiU or 3DS. OMG! That would be the boom! Or vanilla minecraft would suffice. Either way, it will be cool to have it.

Wowfunhappy

Wowfunhappy said:

Minecraft would actually be really, really great with the Wii U gamepad.

Inventory management has always been a humongous pain in MC, the gamepad could make it so much easier!

Sonic128

Sonic128 said:

I don't think minecraft would work on the 3DS because of the missing second stick. Minecraft is more suited for Wii U.

Araknie

Araknie said:

Minecraft is poopiedoodoocaca, a game with no purpose at all, you just waist time and you don't an ending a nothing, a something, some rewards.

I've played it in the early days: worst 5€ spent in my entire life, i played it for like 1 month and then it sprawled everywere and i got angry at it, they added the loving hunger bar witch you have to constatly check.

Talk about ruining totally the immersion in the game.

Windy

Windy said:

Minecraft would make a fine addition to Wii-U and 3DS if the online multiplayer play was kept intact. It would not shock me if Nintendo wanted that option removed for their systems. Great game to play and build with friends.

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

It doesn't matter, if your playing the smartphone or 360 version of minecraft, your playing a gimped version. Why would Wii U be different. Just get the PC version.

Gregor

Gregor said:

Minecraft on Wii U will work. Please make option for both wii remote + numchuck and gamepad as well as Wii U standard controller. 3DS does not have the processing power for minecraft I don't think.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Alshain01 At least this version won't be as gimped as the 360's.
>: P
And for your information SOME people don't own supercomputers that can run at a stable 60 frames per second 100% of the time. Its called being business wise, the more people you make your game available to the more it will sell. Although I'm probably wasting my breath on you.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@milojica Mods are impossible to do without doing it yourself on console. They would have to manually install specific mods in an update. With a console, you can't just go on its browser and download something.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Wouldn't mind it on either 3DS or Wii U. After all, the game does have 3D support on PC, so looking at it in 3D on a 3DS would be pretty sweet.

Gregor

Gregor said:

In order for minecraft to not eat away at our Wii U memory and reduce the chance of errors, I think each world should go back to being LARGE restriced cubes. Where you have a finite space to build. I did say large though but they might have to make a new random generator so the player gets everything they need in one singular world while still maintaining variety... what a dilemma for Mojang.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Araknie: Minecraft is a SANDBOX game. You know, like a sandbox, where you can do whatever you like? Besides, there IS an ending to it - you just have to get there. And if you're that worried about the hunger bar, why don't you just play on Peaceful Difficulty? There's how much potential with the game - huge area to explore, no rules as to how you play, create and destroy as much as you want. But hey, to each their own, I guess.

jorgem696

jorgem696 said:

I would get it for both platform but I really want mojang to make it for the Wii U at least

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

@Araknie Who needs arbitrary game rewards? Knowing you designed a cool world is enough. Knowing you can survive the toughest enemies the game can throw at you is enough.
Sometimes I think the 360s achievements have ruined gaming for many who need an obvious reward system to keep them invested.

Spectator

Spectator said:

I honestly don't know if the 3ds could handle Minecraft, especially if the 3d effect were on. It would be nice to see it come to wii u though.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@MadAdam81 Don't bet on it. I don't want to be exploring and then suddenly BOOOOOP CRAAAASH OUT OF MEMORY!. Besides, I kinda like the idea of having finite worlds again, you will be able to see how much memory each world will take before you make it and you wont acciedently go WAAAAAY out and eat up unnecary memory.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

seriously, why don't they just make it a full retail game on Wii U and add a ton of new items/features. i think that it would be better than Mariokart 8 financialy, as MK8 will make all the nintendo fans get a Wii U but not hardcore gamers. honestly, i own an Xbox 360 and pretty much the only games everyone plays is CoD, GTA, FIFA and guess what, MINECRAFT. this really would boost the Wii U's sales. plus, as everyone else is saying, the Wii U is perfect for this game. JUST DO IT MOJANG PLEAAASE

Andross

Andross said:

Midecraft is confirmed for PS3 and Vita, would be strange if it didn't come to the 3DS also.

Teaqq2

Teaqq2 said:

This may sound a little farfetched, but maybe Steve will be in Super Smash Bros. 4!

Senario

Senario said:

Minecraft on Wii U would be nice although only for fairness. I personally am more of a PC minecraft player so consoles don't interest me much for the game.

EarthboundBren

EarthboundBren said:

i like PC version best, but my computer is so damn laggy, that i only go on it for servers. solo i play xbox 360 version.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Huh. This could be a very interesting development. Exclusives will still sell the Wii U better, methinks, but it seems like the audience already invested in Nintendo would dive into Minecraft way more than one going to PS4 (where Minecraft will also be released). Would love to see this happen.

Dyltheman

Dyltheman said:

This probably means SOMETHING interesting is happening.even though i don't play much minecraft id love a wiiu version

Alshain01

Alshain01 said:

@Fusion14 Define "most". I run Minecraft on a Core 2 duo with 1gb of ram and it runs just fine. It's not Arkham City we are talking about here. I think "most" people can run Minecraft.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

This would be a big yes for me, the gamepad would be perfect for the inventory screen.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Alshain01 I don't care. Its simple business logic you will never understand. Make your product available to as many people as possible and it will sell.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

It would be nice to see Minecraft on the Wii U. I find it odd that Minecraft is/will be available on all seventh and eighth generation home consoles, but Nintendo's are still unconfirmed. Was never expecting a Wii version, but a Wii U version makes too much sense.

Still, even if it did come to the Wii U, it needs something similar to the Pixelmon mod or I wouldn't buy it. Unlikely, but a guy can dream.

Gregor

Gregor said:

@Teaqq2 huh...
You think so? Idk... Minecraft would have to be on Wii U before that. It would certainly be a fresh, new, interesting character though. Come on, throw me a moveset.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

@Fusion14 I used to run Minecraft on my laptop which doesn't even have a graphics card... in fact you can watch the early episodes of my Let's Play series where I had the spare processing power to record too.

I would LOVE Minecraft on my 3DS... and 3D is already built into the game (check the video settings). I have to admit that the touch screen controls for Minecraft PE are pretty daunting.

http://www.youtube.com/user/KamenDev sorry, just had too! :P

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

What exactly is a "Continuing Relationship" with a company you have never, ever had a relationship with? Aw man...

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

A continuing relationship huh? Cant be much of a serious one seeing as Nintendo have never done anything with Mojang ever.

Nintonic

Nintonic said:

Minecraft belongs on the computer. Any other platform I would disagree with. Especially if the system cannot process the infinite terrain and takes a long time to load. Don't waste your time Minecraft. The Xbox version is terrible compared to the computer version.

Senario

Senario said:

@Nintonic High five! PC is definitely the definitive version but if it is going to be on PS and Xbox it might as well be on Wii U as well.

DanteSolablood

DanteSolablood said:

@Melkaticox Well, nothing is going to be that popular anymore... remember that there are so many more consoles,games and mediums that those kinds of numbers are not achievable now. When Mario was in his prime he could have half the market to himself.

I'd say relatively Minecraft is doing almost that well, though there is this big myth that consoles "can't handle the infinite terrain generation". That's not true, the game only loads a few chunk in at a time & never handles "infinite" anything.

One of the benefits of a console is that it dedicates ALL of it's resources to a game as it's being played, with some coding tweaks for the particular console you could possibly see faster loading than on some PCs (on chip memory etc.). Especially as Dinnerbone is implementing a new rendering engine into the game soon.

Hale-Bopp

Hale-Bopp said:

We already know Minecraft would work well on a 3DS, because there's a homebrew version of it on the DS and it works like a charm. Seriously, Nintendo. Make this happen. Make SOMETHING happen.

3DSAllDay

3DSAllDay said:

I have never played Minecraft before because it was never on a Nintendo console.....I have also been thinking of getting the portable version on the IPod touch.

MarioIdent

MarioIdent said:

I would love it if came on Wii U! After all, it would work well, and there exclusiveness with Microsoft for console releases has ended, (they're bringing it to PS3 & 4 now) hopefully there will be announcements in the near future :)

BrightShadows31

BrightShadows31 said:

if they needed to, they might try a control scheme similar to Kid Icarus: Uprising on the 3DS. i know some people complain about comfort, but it has never been a problem for me...

Big_Boy_Chubs

Big_Boy_Chubs said:

I'd like to play minecraft on the 3ds, and they'd probobaly make it with special controls....so yeah....

remlapgamer

remlapgamer said:

They would sell this like crazy, and really add to their already huge fanbase. This would really help in the future for Mojang knowing fans will be ready to purchase the next Minecraft game. JOB SECURITY.

Sceptic

Sceptic said:

I still don't know if I should laugh or cry at the stupidity of the claim of a "continuing relationship".

Like the chubby guy pointing out girls he supposedly "totally made out with" last summer. So sad.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

Not gonna lie, this is some bullsh*t because Mojang is a multimillion dollar company and they have the money and resources to bring Minecraft to the Wii U. You can't say they don't, it wouldn't even cost them that much money and they would so make a profit quickly.

ikuwill

ikuwill said:

never liked it before, but I could see playing it on the gamepad while I was doing something else.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

I really don't care about any "relationship" you may or may not have if no games come of it.

gregrout

gregrout said:

Minecraft would be truly awesome on the Wii-U. A touchpad inventory, could you imagine how much easier it would be to create masterpieces in creative mode? It's really sad to see this opportunity go to waste. The sad part is Majong doesn't see the big picture. Every masterpeice picture captured and posted is a testament to the minecraft game, regardless of version. When you have such an ideal match in hardware capabilities it seems a crime to let it pass by. Maybe Mojong will wake up and see the opportunity, maybe not... we'll see.