Platinum's Hideki Kamiya Claims He Doesn't Own A Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Also takes to Twitter to confirm The Wonderful 101 Nintendo Direct

Platinum's Hideki Kamiya is the kind of guy who probably shouldn't be allowed a Twitter account. He's made some pretty strong statements in the past and seems to delight in winding up people who send him inane comments on the popular social network site, often forcing fellow Platinum staffer Atsushi Inaba to clarify his comments.

His latest post is a doozy — he claims that despite the fact that his company is such a key supporter of the Wii U, he doesn't actually own Nintendo's console:

Some have speculated that he's deliberately misleading people for kicks, but could it be possible that he actually doesn't own a Wii U? Just because you're working on a game for the system doesn't necessarily mean you have to have one at home. We'll leave you to decide that one.

Elsewhere on Twitter, Kamiya confirmed that a Nintendo Direct broadcast focused on The Wonderful 101 is forthcoming — something that has been hinted at in the past:

We assume he's not trolling with that piece of info, too. You can never be too sure when Kamiya is involved!

McHaggis

McHaggis said:

Maybe he's one of those people that hates playing games because he works with them all day long ;)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I don't think it's too crazy to say someone working on Wii U games doesn't have a Wii U. They're not making these games because they love the console, they're making them because Nintendo is paying them. Wii U obviously hasn't interested the vast majority of gamers yet, so I imagine if you pick any dev there's more chance of them not owning a Wii U than owning one.

Rief

Rief said:

Well, it's right that it is his personal choice to buy a U or not, but he shouldn't make such statements. Since he develops for the U, he should own one, if he doesn't he shouldn't say that.

PS4WiiU

PS4WiiU said:

• do not care
  • not news
  • so what
    I bet if he postes a pic of his WiiU and posted how great it is, y'all be jumping , Internet is full of hypocrites
MilesVor

MilesVor said:

Lol. He already addressed this a dozen times before. He says he just doesn't have time to game at home.

Araknie

Araknie said:

LOL i saw a previous tweet from him when he says he doesn't have play games at home.

Really, man he's playing Wii U at Platinum that usurpator. xD

How much time he spend in the office, also?

Rin-go

Rin-go said:

@Araknie
So he actually doesn't own any? He plays them at work, so he probably doesn't need to have them at home, too.

@Fazermint
Now I actually want some, too. ^^; But paprika it would be.

Mahe

Mahe said:

I have a Wii U, and I'm not looking forward to Pikmin 3. It goes both ways.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah who cares as long as he makes games for Wii U is what matters and yeah there should be more advertising for this game it seems fun the more attention the more game sales and console sales

zeldazero

zeldazero said:

@dizzy_boy
Exactly, in all honesty if he makes games for a Wii U he probably has one at work that he can use whenever he wants so why buy one...

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Seriously, he plays the Wii U all day at work. Why have one at home? Sure, it would be cool if he was such a fanatic that he spent ALL of his time, work and play with a Wii U — oh wait, no it wouldn't. It would be sad. :P

As a developer, I can tell you that you get sick of your own game to a degree. Same thing happens with filmmakers. You experience it so much that it doesn't feel the same way it will to a person playing/watching it for the first time. It's a real issue that effects the final product. It's one of the reasons older games got so hard (even Iwata has a quote about that somewhere on the internet). It's certainly happening on the game I'm making right now.

Anyway, looking forward to Wonderful 101 very much.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

@aaronsullivan
Agreed that concept applies to every form of entertainment including music.
Yeah I don't think after working on a game one wants to play one :) ... But usually devs play games anyway to get ideas/concepts for their games

Nionel

Nionel said:

Didn't Iwata say during the E3 Direct that we would have a Wonderful 101 centered Direct before the games launches? So really, how is any part of this article news?

Fingeldor

Fingeldor said:

Who gains from the 'what's-his-face-said-something-on-twitter' news? Isn't social media just a hotbed for cage rattling opinions anyway? If he is trolling, why not borrow the position don't feed the trolls rather than spotlight it on a news blog? In a way, it's senseless ego stroking that's going to send the message to this guy his word really matters when to your readers, it really doesn't.

He might also not be the owner of a box of Coco Puffs, but who's paying attention?

element187

element187 said:

Technically he does own one... well Platinum Games owns one.. they have a dev kit possibly more than one.

Though so he probably doesn't need one at home because he might have 1 or more at work.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I think the real question is - why would anyone own a WiiU? ;-)

Is this the guy who passed out drinking too much and didn't show up for work for a week?

Maybe he's not a WiiU owner like the bank keeps reminding me every month I don't own my house? Or maybe he got it from Rent-A-City? Borrowed it from a friend? Owner is a very specific word. Maybe he's a zen Buddhist and doesn't believe in ownership?

OK, I'll stop now.

SteveW

SteveW said:

I couldn't care less if he owns a Wii U but it would probably take a Nintendo Direct to make me realize the appeal of Wonderful 101 because everything I have seen previously hasn't excited me any... it just looks like a busy mess.

wober2

wober2 said:

I kind of get he is not super happy working with nintendo... I think this article was trying to stir that notion, he personally doesnt like the wiiu but that is who is publishing platinum's latest games.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Isn't he making like, the second game to come out for Wii U? Give him a chance to buy it when it's got some games lol

bb88

bb88 said:

I do not like this man, he needs to think before he posts to twitter. Personally I hope Nintendo sells or trades Platinum for another studio, one that's grateful and can also make good games. This guy is a total CRAB! I was gonna go against my better judgement and give w101 a chance, but now I'm def. not.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

he probably doesn't own one because he plays one at his work all the time. lol

NMH-TRI

NMH-TRI said:

It's Kamiya. I honestly don't believe anything he says on Twitter at all, ever...Awesome games, uber Twitter troll :)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

I can see him not owning a WiiU, but I don't see how this is relevant to us - though it is kinda amusing to find him not owning one despite W101 being the second game for WiiU along with Bayonetta 2!

hydeks

hydeks said:

I don't like the man, but I'm looking forward to Wonderful 101! If he doesn't own a Wii U, thats his lose. Naturally a dumb-dumb like him wouldn't own the system that's gonna see his game release, especially as one of Platinums bigger releases to date :P

R_Champ

R_Champ said:

The thing I think is funny is he was just complaining that Nintendo isn't doing enough to promote W101. Though that's true, it doesn't seem like he's doing ANYTHING to promote the system it's coming out on. The guy is probably rolling in dough, why not buy a WiiU and give it a thumbs up so more people buy the system that you kinda NEED to play the game even if he doesn't play it. It's more like he's saying "Sony fer life" and then demanding everyone buy a game for WiiU because he made it...just not the system...lol.

NightmareXIV

NightmareXIV said:

He gives off that feeling that he hates his job, and he needs lose it to appreciate that he has one in the first place.