Nintendo - Inclusion of Peach in Super Mario 3D World to Encourage More Players

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Wii U Pro Controller support also confirmed

Super Mario 3D World appeared to be — initially at least — a divisive announcement at E3. We knew a 3D Mario was coming, but the successor to Super Mario 3D Land on the 3DS was a surprise considering expectations of a title more in-line with the Galaxy releases on Wii. It may make commercial sense and provide delight in the final, full game, but there was undoubtedly some disappointment at the reveal.

Yet as the highest profile Wii U release during the Holiday season, much focus will be on the multiplayer credentials of this title, and its ability to coax consumers into buying the system. Unlike the Toad twins of the New Super Mario Bros. series, this one brings to mind NES title Super Mario Bros. 2, with Peach returning and all four characters having abilities reminiscent of that 8-bit classic.

In an interview with Time, director Koichi Hayashida and producer Yoshiaki Koizumi explained how the development team sought to open up 3D Mario to full multiplayer for the first time, and why it was left as local only.

Mr. Hayashida: I think that we’ve always wanted to focus on being able to see the other players around you. I always thought that was fun.

Mr. Koizumi: The first Super Mario Bros. on the Nintendo Entertainment System had two controllers, so you could play multiplayer with someone right next to you. I think that we wanted to accomplish the same kind of feeling in a 3D Mario game for the first time.

Mr. Hayashida: I’ve always really enjoyed playing games with my children. In Super Mario Galaxy, we had the “assist play mode” that was available, but this is the first time that we’ve implemented a real multiplayer where the second player is moving a character around on screen in a 3D Mario game. And so I’m really happily looking forward to the experience of playing that with my kids.

Mr. Koizumi: And now that Peach has been included, I’m also hoping that people will be able to play the game with their girlfriends. Perhaps some of their girlfriends will find Peach as a more appealing character to play – or your wife, of course.

That final line from Koizumi is perhaps a little ill-advised in gender-sensitive times, as the stereotyped cake-baking kidnap victim Peach may not be the most heroic character to appeal to girlfriends and wives. When asked about whether Peach would star in her own game, it was questioned whether there'd be enough of an audience.

Mr. Hayashida: Well I definitely should point out that there was a game called Super Princess Peach where you could play as Peach, so that’s definitely an option. It’s not something we have ruled out. In fact, we have made a game of that sort.

Mr. Koizumi: I always think of the Super Mario games as taking place in a really cute world that appeals to everyone. We certainly looked into who finds different sorts of things appealing in these games among boys and girls. I personally feel that Peach is very appealing to girls who play our games. But I sometimes wonder: If we made a lot of games starring Peach as the main character, is that something that boys would be as interested in? I don’t know.

Stepping away from gender politics, this interview also confirmed support for the Wii U Pro Controller — this is added to the GamePad and its motion controls / touch screen interactivity, and sideways Wii Remotes. That'll be a welcome option for those that want two player games with both on analogue controls, or even those that simply prefer the smaller controller.

So, what do you think about these comments on Peach as a playable character? Will girls naturally prefer the not-so-heroic Princess, or does the character's gender not make any difference? Let us know what you think in the comments section, though please stick closely to the topic at hand.

[via techland.time.com]

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

I don't know why they didn't include her in these games sooner? I don't see why players would rather play as a generic toad than a character like Luigi or Peach.

One generic toad is enough.

ueI

ueI said:

So they didn't care about attracting girls to NSMB? That just sounds weird.

FLipSide5254

FLipSide5254 said:

Maybe because peach get kidnap at the beginning of the game all the time lol. That's why she's not included.

SkywardCrowbar

SkywardCrowbar said:

Yeah... Koizumi hit a sour note there. I'm just happy that Peach is playable, though. Good move for Nintendo. It's also very good that she's playable, and unlike in Super Princess Peach, she doesn't use her emotions as attacks. >.<

Samus06

Samus06 said:

I'm just glad Nintendo is including pro controller support for their games. I think it would be pretty awkward to play a 3D Mario with a sideways Wii remote in multiplayer. I hope they keep supporting the pro controller. Its nice to have control options. Sometimes I just prefer to play with a traditional controller.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

A fine idea, but if only Peach were a decent character. My sister apparently would still rather play as Mario, Luigi or Toad.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I highly doubt girls will care if they can play as peach. And if I want to play video games with my girlfriend I'll have a Pokemon battle. :P (..that reminds me I still haven't battled her with my new team! >.<)

Fazermint

Fazermint said:

Women usually don't mind playing a male character. Men, on the other hand, may have issues playing a female character.

I thought Super Princess Peach was great. It was easy, and the fact that Peach used emotions as abilities was a little silly, but the game felt more like a sequel to Yoshi's Island on the SNES than Yoshi's Island DS ever did.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

@Geonjaha - Well, she's slower but can float with her jumps and thus, go further with them. Take what you will from that.
If the character is fun to play as, I play as them; guy or girl. Yes, I'm one of the guys that played Super Princess Peach and had fun with it. What? It's a Mario game, I'm a Mario fan. The gender of the protagonist is not that important.

1958Fury

1958Fury said:

Koizumi needs to get with the times. Female players make up a large percentage of the gaming population these days. Personally, I am 3 times more likely to buy a game if you can play as a female character.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I don't know about the gender politics of this, but I'll definitely be playing as Princess Peach from time to time with this game :3

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

Princess Toadstool is my go to character in Mario Kart games and I picked her a lot in Super Mario Bros. 2. I am probably the one who will play as her in this game while my spouse plays as Luigi (her favorite). This guy typing right now is excited about her inclusion…for him!

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm a guy who plays any character who is fun to play as no matter if they're male or female. I'm just glad Peach is a playable character again.

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

I went to one of the Best Buy events and I have to say that I take back my lack of interest in the game. Seeing it in person and playing it is much, much different. While I didn't get to play as Peach, there's definitely something enticing about these unique controls schemes. I didn't play with the cat suit, but the visuals and sounds are very good; something that doesn't come across well in the trailers.

skjia

skjia said:

But this isn't the year of Peach... For being the year of Luigi, Luigi sure was pretty absent from this year's E3.
@Stark_Nebula Lucky. I wasn't able to make those. So you're saying it didn't just feel like Super Mario 3D Land HD?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Girls hate playing as Mario. The candy-pink airhead is much closer to home. [nb: this comment is sarcastic]

Personally, I've yet to meet a girl who would play Mario but refuses to do so on the basis that she can't play as Peach. I've met girls who wouldn't play Mario, but I don't think playable Peach would exactly sway that choice.

F4LLEND4RK

F4LLEND4RK said:

You wrote "and why it was left local only" however I didn't seem to see any quotes in that article about online multiplayer. It would be a welcome addition to the new super mario bros series or just any other since that series is very similar every single game.

Stark_Nebula

Stark_Nebula said:

@skjia I didn't get to play 3D Land, but I can say that the multiplayer certainly makes it feel different. Single player might be different (and dull), but if you have some friends near by, then it'll be a boatload of fun for sure. It's really a cross of the core gameplay of 3D Land mixed in the odd and fun aspects of Super Mario Bros 2 (US). Not the most original Mario game ever, but it stands out.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I have no idea why this caused any controversy. Galaxy 3 would have been pointless, they've already done everything they need to do in that Mario. People are saying stuff about how it's too simplistic and not daring enough but all they've seen are a couple of levels. 4 player coop on a 3D Mario is awesome to me, I'd have settled for 2 player with one on TV and one on Gamepad but actually being able to play with my friends is a massive bonus.

rainfaze

rainfaze said:

Thank god she's back and playable! I want the Nintendo producers to wake up to the fun of their games and the world they created as a whole. I like the world of Mario and all the characters, Peach being a big one. Mario 2 was a blast because you were able to be other people. Also Mario RPG was a blast because you could once again be Peach in a unique story that mattered (I'd love another one of those BTW and not Paper Mario). If they want to really pound down the doors, open this world to other characters in the Mario-verse. I'd have jumped at the chance to play as Yoshi or Donkey Kong in a straight-up Mario game, not just Party or Kart titles. And why no have Kirby pop up? It is a colorful, pure fun game. Let not bring archaic gender role stuff into why certain characters were not included. Also, why did they go with a "generic" toad and not "official" toad? Official Toad being the one with the red polka dot hat and blue vest? Weird...

sonicfan1373

sonicfan1373 said:

It would be nice if they also added support for Wiimote + Nunchuck and Wiimote + Classic Controller; I have one Pro Controller and of course a Gamepad but it would be nice to have more control option when more friends want to play and with Nintendo my friends found it difficult to use the sideways Wii Remote in the 3D Mario Chase game.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

I would love to play as Peach and I'm a girl. So would my daughter. A character is a character no matter what gender they are.

GN004Nadleeh

GN004Nadleeh said:

i call BS, last time we couldn't have peach was she way too difficult for the nintendo programmers to use, now they claim it's gonna bring in more people to play the same tired and true game we already played on the 3ds (which i already sold due to lack of games) i wouldn't be shocked if they revealed dlc coin rush levels that are exact replicas of the 3ds games. nintendo does make fun games but i can't play mario world forever waiting for a real mario game to come out. also can anyone tell me why they removed the ability to take yoshi into any level you please? if you played mario world then you must remember getting blue yoshi from star world then going to the top secret place to gear up for the next level. we need more of that!

dap005

dap005 said:

My opinion of Peach (which wasn't really positive due to me having an irrational hatred towards girly characters when I was a small kid, thank goodness that doesn't exist anymore) was changed when I first saw her stop a fight between sheik and fox, on an exploding battleship, with tea. With tea. That one cutscene from brawl did it all. Also this comic: http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/2010/08/05/260-the-captive-princess/

Sometimes people like to play as their own gender in games so Peach's inclusion just means more options. Now the story on the other hand...who else think is all going to be a dream where Mario envision everyone to be cats?

deitypower

deitypower said:

Finally, some love was given again to princess peach. How about princess daisy next time?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@rainfaze

You are one of the few persons mentioning that, and I also noticed that this is not the "official" Toad. I think that one was the leader of the Toad Brigade in Super Mario Galaxy, who ended up being an useless coward. It looks a bit more like the Blue Toad we have been using since NSMBW, and since this would be his third game, then he is not that generic now.

I loved to play as Peach in SMB2, it kinda felt like cheating with those waterfall spanning jumps. I did not play Super Princess Peach as it was not directly made by Nintendo.

The dress programming issue was a Miyamoto joke. Sakurai has had no problems with that since Melee. Hopefully fans requests were the real catalyst here.

I am happy to play as a girl. There are way too many games where you can only use a male and that gets old. Guess most of the CoD crowd is too manly to be seen playing as a girl.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@Dizzard
Totally agree.

I'm happy we're getting her now but they should have had these four characters playable in the very first New Super Mario Bros game.

It's frustrating that we could all see this immediately but it took Nintendo however many new Mario games with 4-player before they finally did something that was completely obvious to everyone else a long time ago.

Still, they've got there now and imo the game looks great.

Kirby-life

Kirby-life said:

In Super Mario Bros. 2 I almost always play as Princess Peach even though I'm a guy. Glad she's back.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@F4LLEND4RK Nintendo has confirmed no online multiplayer in this game, and that was the context of the question. There's no doubt, it's local only.

Royalblues

Royalblues said:

I always love to see women in games that are not overly objectified, or victimized. A strong female presence is what more games need today!

Pachterkid

Pachterkid said:

@Samus06

I couldn't agree more. Now that it's confirmed for this game hopefully Tropical Freeze and Mario Kart 8 will follow suit.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Blue Toad is not a generic Toad. He's the Toad from Mario Bros. 2.
Untitled
The Red and Blue vest Toads are just Peach's servents.
Untitled The ones with regular vest colors that match their head are citizens.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

The question is what that means to the story. Daisy's being kidnapped, perhaps?
She's the one who should be getting her own game asap.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

"But I sometimes wonder: If we made a lot of games starring Peach as the main character, is that something that boys would be as interested in? I don’t know."

That's the thing, too many guys have the silly notion that playing a female lead somehow magically takes away their manliness...yes, by just playing a game. Although she isn't at Samus' level, Peach could easily get some of her own baddonkey moments if they do it right.

Either way, it's a nice inclusion here, even though my preferred character is Toad.

@beatalLiToaD ...and Waluigi needs his own official game, too.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I'm just glad the main stars from Super Mario Bros. 2 and the Super Mario Bros. SuperShow makes a return in this game again. It would also be great if Wart somehow makes a surprise appearance in this too alongside Bowser just to add some Subcon macness to Bowser's already complicated rules.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Waluigi is just filler for sports games. Birdo game first. Staring bizarre and sexually confusing adventures. OMG wait what if Birdo appears again in this game as a boss.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

Doesn't mean he couldn't be elevated, even if it's just playing a bigger role as a NPC rather than actually being playable himself(though the latter'd be nice).

It'd be good to experience another fresh spin off series.

Shambo

Shambo said:

@FLipSide5254 my thoughts exactly. it seems nice though, only... where's daisy? she needs a year for herself too, always -if at all present- in peach's shadow...

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

DDR wasn't a main Mario game and Waluigi was not the main Villian. That was Bowser. Though he was the first one to steal the music keys. Birdo was a character in Captain Rainbow yes but not a boss... You had to... to something for him/her... lol. I don't think Birdo has been a boss since Superstar Saga.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@KaiserGX I didn't just pick him at random, I've wondered for some time why they haven't done much of anything with him. As crazy as it sounds, he looks main villian material. Hell, he could be involved with the whole Daisy scenario if need be(although it'd need to be different than the whole Mario/Peach/Bowser thing).

I'll take your whole 'maybe you'll move on to a Goomba, etc.' as a compliment. I'd take even side/minor characters getting unique series over having Mario in the spotlight 80% of the time.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

They haven't done much because the reason he was created was to be a counterpart for Luigi in the sports games. (Wario, Daisy, Waluigi). He does look like Dick Dastardly but as long as he is with Wario he's going to be stuck under his shadow like Luigi was to Mario. They don't even use Waluigi in the Warioware series. There's no need for him or Daisy at this time. (Nintendo response) Lol

See there we go, you just want characters because they are not Mario. That's what basically everyone is saying now. That's all I wanted to hear from you. My mission is done here :) I revealed your intentions. disappears over to Animal Crossing thread

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

I loved Super Mario Bros 2 Because each character changed the way you played the game... So I know I will love Super Mario 3D World... 4 Player Co Op is Awesome!!!! My Fiancee has already called dibbs on Princess Peach ;-)

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

So someone's use can never change over time just because their original existence was for something minor? Hmm...

It's also nice how you brought up Luigi being in Mario's shadow as an analogy; So couldn't it be fit for Waluigi to get his own little spin off, a la Luigi's Mansion(meaning it doesn't have to be a regular occurrence)?

GearsOfWarU

GearsOfWarU said:

O by the way ... Thank goodness this is not a stale idea like Mario Galaxy 3 !!!! Super Mario 3D World will Be Incredible!!!! A must have Mario for Wii U ;-)

Guitardude7

Guitardude7 said:

I really don't understand why anyone should be disappointed with this reveal. Was it Mario Galaxy 3? No. But is that really a bad thing? I admit, when first watching the trailer I was underwhelmed at first but then....it got awesome. And there are many points that people are missing that you really should be more excited about.

1. Princess Peach is playable- This is only the second time Peach has been playable in a main Mario game. That's huge within itself but think about it: What's the story line if Peach isn't kidnapped? Nintendo FINALLY breaks the trend of Plumber rescues the Princess and nobody seems to notice! I'm honestly curious to see what the story is to this game. Did Bowser perhaps take over the mushroom kingdom completely? Did he find another source of power other than Peachs hierarchy? Or is Wart perhaps behind all this? For the first time in a long time, WE DON'T KNOW. it's not obvious anymore! Isn't that fantastic? It gives a sense of mystery and is fresh and new.

2. The Cat suit- I think people are failing to see the possibilities with this powerup. You can CLIMB WALLS. This opens a whole new realm of possibilities of level design and secrets in the game. More warp zones, alternate paths, different endings and so much more.

3. The level design is A LOT bigger in this game compared 3D Land- Whereas 3D Land was a linear straight line, this game seems more open and explorable. Mario and co. seem to have more liberty to move around mess about the level. I don't think the levels will be that short either, I think they'll be substantially longer and be a lot more in depth compared to 3D Land.

4. Variation of bosses- If there's one thing that can be said about 3D Land was that it's variety of bosses was too limited. This game right off the bat, introduced the snake monster. No Koopa kids, no boom boom, but a new snake monster. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing a lot more bosses this time around that are fought in many creative ways.

5. Who's to say that ALL levels will play it safe?- Maybe the beginning is generic and business as usual but perhaps later in the game, we'll discover more creative worlds and level design. Who's to say there won't be a space world or a Dark world or something totally different? You won't know until you play the full game.

I think a lot of people write this game off WAY too soon. Nintendo probably has only scratched the surface of this game and showed what was marketable instead of showing the unorthodox content they've designed. And above all, I think this game is going to be FUN even if all my assumptions are wrong. It will still be a fun platformer, it will still sell and it will ignite sales for the Wii U no doubt. So it's not Galaxy 3. Well, maybe that's for the better. Maybe for once Nintendo is trying something new.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

I'm not going to play the whole girls rights thing, but Peach needed to be playable in the last like, two new super mario bros. Even if she was an unluckable character you'd get for beating the game it would have been nice.

It was odd, as a kid, playing as the princess in Mario 2 didn't feel weird, it wasn't like I was like "EW I'M PLAYING A GIRL" it was like "Holy crap, lady floats!" and nothing felt wrong about it, it was just cool. I'm happy she is back and they should make her playable in every subsequent sequel and mario platformer that comes out to date.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

From reading the comments,it seems nobody else is bothered about there not being any online multiplayer?! This is beyond ridiculous from Nintendo,they can no longer use the "I think that we’ve always wanted to focus on being able to see the other players around you" excuse now that they have the infrastructure.That "experience" would still possible whether they have online or not.No online in Pikmin either and highly likely W101 too so looks like we have to wait till Mario Kart.They like to emphasize that they want everyone to have the same experience but how can they if they don't include online when its main hook is its multiplayer?

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@KaiserGX Hence why I was making points instead of causing a big uproar and yelling at you for it, haha. No need to apologize, you made some understandable ones, too.

I wasn't joking though. XD

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I just noticed something while looking at the screenshots. When there are several players, there is only one life counter. So does this mean that all players share a pool of lives unlike NSMBW?

@Guitardude7

You make very good points, although I am not sure about the level design. They look bigger because they have to accommodate 4 players. There is still a timer on each level, so that makes it harder to explore, even if the cat suit itself seems to encourage exploration.

Still, playing a 3D Mario in multiplayer sounds like tons of fun, and something never being done in Mario. Galaxy 3 can wait, as Wii U is very young anyway.

Chriiis

Chriiis said:

@KaiserGX It's not a really a heart breaker, just something that's crossed my mind a bit each time I see one of his minor appearances/when we're reminded of other 'shadows' like Daisy.

Trolls have hearts, hahaha, they choose not to show it a lot of the time, if at all.

LuigiTheGreenFire

LuigiTheGreenFire said:

Gender politics? Of course. All I really care about is the Pro Controller support and that Peach is not kidnapped.

Maskeraid

Maskeraid said:

I would actually thoroughly enjoy a new game where I could play as peach, as I've had trouble finding a copy of SPP at my local used games stores, and I like the idea of her starring in said game. Either way, my excitement for this game is off the charts. :D

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I always wondered why they didn't use Toadette for the NSMB games. I'm delighted to see Ninty are doing more than the usual lame squid save the Princess story. It doesn't have to be complicated but it's nice they are moving away from that archaic formula.

ILikeRead

ILikeRead said:

they need to speak up a little more about the pro controller because alot of people seem to think that the gamepad is the only thing controlling the games.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

All the characters in SM3DW are the same as they were in SMB2, with Peach floating, for instance... Mario is an all-around character, Luigi jumps higher, Toad runs faster, and Peach can Float..

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@GN004Nadleeh
Sold 3DS due to lack of games?! You must not have looked that hard, with all due respect. DKC Returns, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon, Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda Ocarina, Paper Mario Sticker Star, NSMB 2, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Resident Evil Revelations, Metal Gear Solid 3D, Castlevania Mirror of Fate, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Sonic Generations, Street Fighter 4, Cave Story 3D, and incoming Project X Zone, Shin Megami Tensei 4, Mario & Luigi Dream Team, Zelda Link Between Worlds, Pokemon X/Y... the list goes on and on and on! I could understand someone saying there's alot of games but not many that appeal to them, but to say there aren't enough games is, well, kind of an ignorant statement

bassoongoon

bassoongoon said:

I do not think that Peach will be much of a selling point. I do like the multiple character options.

Rafie

Rafie said:

I for one am glad Peach is on the game. I actually wanted to play as her in a few games. Her, Daisy, or Rosaline. It does change the pace for a bit and it's a breath of fresh air.

Daggo

Daggo said:

Peach was awesome in Melee!

And Super Princess Peach is totally fun, emotion-gimmicks aside... A sequel with Daisy aboard will be welcome! Super Princesses 3DS? Peach & Daisy RPG?

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

Yeah, the reason I don't play as a character isn't because they are a girl, it's because they are wussy damsel in distress who is girly in stereotypical way. Like in Mario Kart I play as Rosaling all the time. Because

1. She has an awesome design look and voice
2. She has Magic powers
3. She's a space person
4. SHE IS ONE OF THE COOLEST FEMALE CHARACTERS EVER!

Here's a list of girls I love to play as and hate to play as

Love:
NiGHTS
SHANTAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate:
Amy Rose
Peach
Birdo
Pipsy (Diddy Kong Racing)
Ms. Pac-Man
Lissa (Fire Emblem)

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm still waiting on Super Princess Peach 2! I wanna see a happy ending for Perry!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I'm a dude and I'm always happy to play as Peach (or Rosalina) :*

Non-party/sports/fighting/racing games in which Peach is playable:

SMB2 (2D platformer)
Super Mario RPG (RPG)
Super Princess Peach (2D platformer)
Super Paper Mario (hybrid platformer/RPG)
Super mario 3D World (3D platformer)

Honorable Mentions:
Paper Mario (RPG - bonus scenes)
Paper Mario: TTYD (RPG - bonus scenes)

Charaters who got their own games:
Mario (duh) too many to list

Luigi:
Mario is Missing (educational)
Luigi's Mansion 1 & 2
Super Luigi U

Wario:
WarioLand Series
Wario World
WarioWare series
Mario & Wario (Japan only)
playable in SM64 DS

Yoshi (playable):
Yoshi's Island
Yoshi's Island DS

Bowser:
playable in M&L: Bowser's Inside Story
bonus scenes in PM:TTYD

Waluigi (zero non-party/sports/etc games!)

Daisy (zero non-party/sports/etc games!)
kidnapped in MarioLand

Rosalina (NPC in Mario Galaxy series)

I probably missed some games, but my list intentionally does not include any Sports/Party/Racing/Fighting/Dance genres.

Hong

Hong said:

Yeah... Peach does not really hit any notes with me. I know it is asking for a lot, but maybe she could be given more... functional attire. Maybe she can be given an outfit like Luigi and Mario, only pink instead of green/red, and she can be less like a trophy and more of a hero. Not a change to her "classic" look, but just for games like this.

TreesenHauser

TreesenHauser said:

Everyone else is talking about Peach, Daisy, and inclusion in video games. And I'm just sitting here even more excited that this game will feature Pro Controller compatibility. Thank you Nintendo for finally remembering the accessory exists! :-P

CommenSense

CommenSense said:

The more characters the better I don't know why they don't have a Mario kart style line up with a lot more options

Araknie

Araknie said:

@FLipSide5254 LOL, poor Peach.

Thinking about the game now, we didn't see a 3D Mario game that featured all the players in one screen.
It's quite the achievement really, everybody is toning down these sequels, but if you look at them there is a lot you never saw on a Nintendo console.

Like always.

younglink1990

younglink1990 said:

Who cares if there's no new galaxy. The 2 on the wii were timeless. We don't want galaxy to be a call of duty type franchise were we get a new one every year .

Samus06

Samus06 said:

@ScorpionMG
I was just talking about playing a 3D mario game with a sideways Wii remote and how that would probably be pretty awkward. I love the Wii remote/Nunchuck combo for the Galaxy games and would be happy if they included that control option in 3D World as well. Sideways Wii remote controls are great for 2D platformers, but not for 3D games.

rjejr

rjejr said:

In an article all about the multiplayer in this game why does the right hand column of the page under Game Overview read - Players: 1?

E3 induced sleep deprivation perhaps?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

Well, I say she's a welcome addition. While I dislike Peach in most games (you know, the ones where you save her sorry butt), she's not so bad when she's a playable character.

element187

element187 said:

"but there was undoubtedly some disappointment at the reveal."

Yeah, quite embarassing to see so called "fans" taking a dump on it without even playing a snippet of the game yet.

trixmydog2

trixmydog2 said:

I personally like moving the controller and using the nunchuck. I find the gamepad great, but i tend not to look at the wide screen tv, and that changes the game completely.I am just looking a small window.I think it should be set fair both ways,to please everyone.I really miss the old wii style gameplay,especially in games like this and olympic,racing etc.So please try to please everyone..That way you will not lose as many sales.i hated to play sideways with a controller,and i sold the super mario bros,when it came out on the old wii..That was the last game i purchased. When i seen the 3D mario, I bought a wii u console..So i am hoping we can have a option..i think it is only fair for all.