Activision Reveals Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Doesn't Mention Wii U Version

Posted by Damien McFerran

Publisher considers Wii U to be "next generation"

In a move which has surprised absolutely nobody, Activision has confirmed that Call of Duty: Ghosts is the next entry in the unreasonably popular men-shooting-men franchise. It's expected to launch on November 5th.

A recent listing by a Spanish retailer gave us hope that the Wii U would be getting in on the action, but Activison has failed to mention Nintendo's platform in relation to the game — the title is coming to the PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PC and "next generation consoles".

However, speaking to Examiner.com, the publisher clarified its stance a little:

We don’t have any news for the Wii U at this time, as we aren’t dating next generation platforms yet. Stay tuned.

That sounds to us like the door is still wide open for a Wii U release, as Activison clearly considers it to be a "next gen" platform. Are you still excited, or have you had enough of this kind of title?

[via examiner.com]

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

"In a move which has surprised absolutely nobody"
"unreasonably popular men-shooting-men franchise"

I love this community.

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

That is surprising! Finally! Someone considers Wii U to be a NEXT GEN platform!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Not excited about the game, but it's nice to hear that SOMEONE rightly considers the Wii U to be a next generation platform, and a big voice too.

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

I wouldn't get my hopes up just yet, for seemingly obvious reasons.

Personally, I also think we need to stop attributing the lack of third-party will for the Wii U to all this misled "next-gen/not next-gen" propaganda.

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

Horray!!! I could care or less about that stupid franchise. I don't want it to grace our system....

Squid

Squid said:

Yikes sometimes the people around here will either get mad at everything or get excited for anything...

FOREST_RANGER

FOREST_RANGER said:

If it isn't being developed by Treyarch, then I'm not too hopeful. More Call of Duty for the Wii U doesn't sound like a bad idea though.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

I dont want to be a downer here but:
"We wont release this game, because the WiiU is not next gen"
"We wont release this game, because the WiiU is next gen"

Uhm...i think i could come up with a better excuse if i had to.

NINTENBOY

NINTENBOY said:

HOW ABOUT THEY ANNOUNCE SOME FREAKING DLC FOR BLACK OPS II ON THE Wii U!! THAT'S IT I'M NOT DOING THIS ANYMORE IVER GIVE US DLC OR GTFO!!

I'm just so sick and tired of paying for this game at $60 dollars here just like all the other versions and being treated like CRAP!! I'm done with COD for a while after I play all the DLC from BO2 on my 360 you are not gonna see me on no Call Of Duty for a couple of years on ANY PLATFORM!!

It's sad because I'm a huge COD fan since 2006 Call Of Duty 3 on Wii....NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT >:3 I can't help but enjoy a game I'm really good at but I can't support a company that treats it's loyal fans like poop.

MiNiStRy

MiNiStRy said:

If it used the gamepad to its full potential then I'd pick it up but I highly doubt it.

MeddlingIdiotStaff

MeddlingIdiot said:

I don't care about it personally but I think it would be for Nintendo if it did come to Wii U.

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

For the love of God, when will Microsoft stop getting exclusive deals with Activision. I'm not getting this on Xbox as I want this on Wii U. Really rubs me the wrong way when you don't even release DLC on Wii U.

Pikpikp

Pikpikp said:

If I want explosions, I'll play Rocket Slime on my 3DS. If I want PvP, I'll play Kid Icarus Uprising on my 3DS. If I want to shoot guns, I'll play Resident Evil Revelations on my 3DS. If I want to shoot at people with no skill, I'll play any CoD on any system.

bunnyking

bunnyking said:

Activision/Blizzard is on my frownie face list. And I'm not buying any more games from them until they move out of that list and into my happy face list.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

@Dpishere and ps4 is not?
......................
Im probaubly not gonna get the game since it's not from treyarch, also the trailer strongly reminded me of deadliest warrior.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

If the game comes out on the Wii U, I will consider picking it up. I had a blast with Black Ops II...besides the story...and the Strike Force missions...

If it doesn't come out though, I can understand why. The Wii U's install base is only 3 million strong. And even with those numbers, a large majority of those people are gamers who...
A. Only got the Wii U for first party titles
B. Have another console to play the game on (with a larger install base)
C. Don't care for the franchise at all, and
D. Will get it on the next gen PS or X console.

I wouldn't be upset if it didn't release though. I play Black Ops II often enough to know the only thing to do online is play Team Deathmatch. There aren't enough players to really play the other modes...besides Zombies.

Pierceton

Pierceton said:

Activision has to be in love with Nintendo I'm sure Skylanders sells very well on Wii 3DS and maybe Wii U.

Best_

Best_ said:

they mentioned...PS4 and next generation consoles???
I want Conduit 3 on WiiU.

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@kyuubikid213 Woah, you must know EVERYTHING about an install-base /=U

If anything I could be C. 2nd party titles like Lego City ain't too bad, and 3rd party titles like MH and NFSMW:U are great. I just got Injustice a few days ago on my Wii U. I have some interest in Cod because I know it's not the worst game ever, and my friends keep playing it, so I am somewhat curious. But if I had to choose between any Wii U exclusive and CoD, I'd choose the first.

Drobotic

Drobotic said:

And still no DLC.They call the Wii U next-gen and they still don't release DLC for Black Ops II.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@HeatBombastic I did say that a "large majority" consisted of those people. And even so, the install base of 3 million (where a few won't bother getting hte game) versus the combined install base of PS3 and 360 of 147 million (where a few won't bother getting the game) still means they won't make as much money if they made a Wii U version.

They might still make one beause of the massive profits from the other side(s) of the coin, but still...out of 3 million of us I've only ever seen 4,000 of us online at the same time...and our Miiverse Community only has 65,689 members...not all of which own the game.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

A bit tired of the whole Call of Duty circus, but this is supposed to be made with a new engine, so call me slightly curious for the true reveal...

hydeks

hydeks said:

why would they mention PS4 but not Wii U? I think "next gen" to them means the new Xbox coming out. But honestly, does anyone care for Call of Cuty still?

BraveBold5

BraveBold5 said:

I hope it arrives on wii u, and if it proves to be as good as call of duty 1 or 2 then probably i will buy it

I-U

I-U said:

Wii U's not next gen material, no major title announced to support it. Wii U is next gen material, no major game announced to support it. Nintendo just can't win with most of these third party developers.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

I think Activision and Ubisoft are the only 2 big publishers to say WiiU is next gen, EA are the ones that started the WiiU not next gen nonsense, and from that the WiiU hate train began its Journey.

About 4 million WiiU, just under at last count so it fair to say if the WiiU users start spending money on 3rd party titles, and Nintendo can teach developers how to unlock the hidden potential of the WiiU's architecture then WiiU will be graced with more support from most publishers.
Its amazing as its getting closer to reveal time for the next xbox, that it seem at least, developers are stepping away from the WiiU not next gen comments, maybe the rumours will be true that the next Xbox will be a lot less powerfull than the Ps4 also, and more akin to the WiiU's specs... or at least be Middle ground between WiiU & Next box... its fair knowledge that Sony themselves only decided on having so much ram at the last minute so to speak, which by all accounts is whats giving the Ps4, the real edge, in terms of 'on paper' specs.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

The whole debate over whether or not Wii U is "next gen" or not is completely redundant! The fact that it's a new console that ushers in a new era of games, no matter how graphically advanced, is enough to call it "next gen"

banacheck

banacheck said:

The reason they are saying "next generation consoles", is the Nextbox hasn't even been announced yet, and the PS4 has no official release date just coming holiday 2013, theirs your next generation consoles thay are talking about. At least Capcom had the guts to say the Wii U is not a Next generation console out of everyone apart from epic.

Sony had the 8GB in the dev kits and it wasn't a last minute job unlike rumours say, it surprise developers tho.

skjia

skjia said:

It kinda seems like publishers are going to call the Wii U whatever they need it to be in order to not bring games to it, even if it means saying it's next gen. Lol. Especially since they announced PS4.

Link41x

Link41x said:

Considering it lists the Wii U version on the official website...I would say it's coming to the Wii U :P

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Black Oos 2 did a couple of things right - off screen play and local multiplayer if you just have two, one plays on the gamepad's screen, the other plays on the TV.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Why hate on a series... this is what starts up these uncalled for wars... if the game doesnt suit your fancy thats okay right but why go as far as diss the whole series.

I kind of think most who dont like the game never played it or arent really good at it ? Either way this game is for next gen and including it means they acknowledge the wii u so lets just be grateful sometimes.

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

It's funny that they name the PS4 specifically (it isn't even out yet) but the Wii U (the only 'next gen' on the market) is an unnamed next-gen systems possibility.

SpaceApe

SpaceApe said:

Well considering how low the sales for Black Ops 2 was for the Wii U I do not blame them for not putting it on the console.

nelsonsantos87

nelsonsantos87 said:

well, you can't expect them to sell that good if the Wii U is not treated as the other current gen consoles

Tysamu

Tysamu said:

@Gameday The reason why people do that is because they can't do what you just said

"if the game doesnt suit your fancy thats okay right but why go as far as diss the whole series."

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@HawkeyeWii

@Gameday brings up a good point. There's no reason to hate on this series. You complain about everyone "fighting" every time it's brought up, yet you turn around and consistently talk negatively (at every opportunity given). If you hate Call of Duty, stop talking about it.

I'd be surprised if Activision didn't release Ghosts on Wii U. Then again, I can see why.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

I'm not discriminating the game before it releases but given the CoD pattern it will probably offer too little different to make it interesting.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Nintendo fans will just support/hate whatever suits Nintendo at the time. Look at highly regarded Goldeneye is, but there was nothing sophisticated or cerebral about Goldeneye. It was just a well made FPS like all the Call of Duty games are. They nail the multiplayer side of it too, it's the modern day equivalent of 4 player split screen in their beloved Goldeneye, but again, gets so much hate.

And, while calling people who buy Call of Duty games (some of the highest rated games this gen) idiots, they are at the same time saying they hope people buy games such as Lego City on 3DS (which has received very average reviews all round).

Nintendo doesn't include online or HD, people say those things are rubbish. Nintendo includes them, then they're the future! It's easy to see why we have a reputation for being childish when people act like this.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

Every time someone says call of duty a little bit of creativity dies in the world. Wash, rinse, repeat.

erv

erv said:

I like call of duty as a shooter, they're generally great games - just not on a once a year basis - actually, I might just be busy playing other stuff.

Maybe one or two years down the line? Or, this game might be great and I end up buying it... I loved black ops 2 after all.

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

Not surprised about that at all, I am surprised theres no 3ds version though considering they made like 3 on DS. And the 3DS is so much more popular now

Trikeboy

Trikeboy said:

How many times can they release the same game? They have turned their franchise into an EA game. The unfortunate thing is it will still sell because 14 year olds think it is fun when it really isn't. This is one third party game I hope doesn't come to Wii U.

GoombaJMR

GoombaJMR said:

That's why it says that it's coming out for PS4!!!!!!!!!!! Haha not that I'm gonna get it though

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

With Nintendo 'working with 3rd part publishers' as they have repeatedly told us could it be the reason why theres no WiiU announcment now is Nintendo aim to be showing off WiiUs 3rd party games at e3 and have asked activision and maybe other publishers not to announce the wiiU versions of games just yet?
Nintendo are going to E3, just not taking to center stage, Nintendo announce thier own games via Nintendo Direct, but using E3, to show the WiiU has gathered more 3rd party support and showing off a number of 3rd party titles, maybe including GTA V could be more benificial as rather than people hearing about a game now, and another one a bit later, and then one more, its probably would make a bigger impact showing numerous 3rd party titles at once.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@erv CoD games are very good games but bit like you I think they should be more spaced apart.
I tend to buy CoD games 2 or 3 years apart.
I had Blops2 on Ps3, and Will get Ghost for WiiU this year so I'm kind of making a exception this year. But then Won't buy next years CoD game.

Pod

Pod said:

Might be there, might not.

Seems 'Black Ops II' on Wii U sold even worse than 'Modern Warfare 3' on Wii, which was itself the tail end of a downward spiral in "COD on Nintendo" sales.

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Soo question, where is it said anywhere what consoles it will be on? At the end of the video all it said was showing at the Microsoft conference. Anyway I am not surprised if it did indeed didn't mention Wii U, theres only like 2,300 people pleaying online verses the 200,000 playing on xbox360 and the only reason people buy/ keep the game is for the online. Like i said before, I will no longer buy this franchise until I see a drastic and stronger change in the online!

MadJay1664

MadJay1664 said:

If I see dlc for this game on Wii U then I might buy it. I got bored of Black Ops II because there was no dlc.

McGruber

McGruber said:

At the end of the day this is pretty bad for Nintendo because I, as a Nintendo fan, had a certain expectation regarding 3rd party support on the system when I bought it...

That said, I think the only thing they could ever do to have decent 3rd party support is to make the WIi U appeal to gamers, and so far it doesn't. It needs amazing games first of all, but it also needs much better functionality because people don't just buy systems for games anymore. A blu ray player would have been a great start...i digress lol

GuyMan

GuyMan said:

The pretentious & elitist Call of Duty/FPS hate in these comment sections needs to stop. You're not "cool" & "different" for looking like a massively contarian elitist, you look like an ungrateful prick since Activision is one of the few companies supporting the Wii U with a core AAA franchise. /Rant.

As for the game itself, take a look at these links.

GuyMan

GuyMan said:

@Peach64 This comment section wasn't good, then you saved it & posted that comment of yours. I wholeheartedly agree.