Renegade Kid Reveals Upcoming 3DS eShop FPS - Cult County

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

3D screens to creep you out

We've know for a good while now that Renegade Kid, probably best known for 3DS eShop — and soon to be enhanced for Wii U eShop — title Mutant Mudds, has been working on a first-person title for the handheld's download store. In fact some may not be aware that the team produced three FPS titles for DS that, at the time, pushed the hardware's capabilities and received some critical praise.

Ahead of PAX East getting into full swing, the developer has now launched the dedicated website for this title; it's called Cult County. The official web page for the game currently shows a logo and some screenshots; it looks like it may be a title with survival horror elements, with a grainy filter — very '80s horror movie — and a character approaching an ominous church with nothing but a wrench at hand.

We'll no doubt learn more in the coming days and weeks. The official site also provides a QR code to see some screenshots in 3D — we've also handily provided the QR code and 2D versions of the screens below.

Thanks to 'beat' for the tip.

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

hope we can play this without the CPP. i dont want that addon.

scanning qr-code...

XXIV

XXIV said:

Survival horror FPS? I can dig it, despite hating most all FPS's

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

ah the 3D is a bit too deep for me. weapon and hand are to close to the eyes.

hope i can aim with the face-buttons, too.
touchscreen games make my hands hurt after 10mins or so^^

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

These screenshots are similar to what we saw in FPS they developped on DS.
I hope it'll be better than that in the final release (more polygons ?).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

By the way, I'm speculating the survival horror bit. Considering the dev's history of the genre on DS and the screens we've seen, I think it's a decent bet.

JJtheTexan

JJtheTexan said:

@6ch6ris6 the devs have said a stylus option is the default and preferred method, so you don't have to use the CPP if you don't want to. Sounds like Kid Icarus: Uprising controls a little bit.

idork99

idork99 said:

At first look, the screenshots look horrible. A second look through the 3DS screen though and you'll see what the developer is trying to do. It looks like a huge sandstorm in an abandoned town; reminiscent of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre kind of scene. Looks eerie and interesting so I'll keep this game under my radar.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Seems like a slightly enhanced port of a DS game like their recent ATV game.
Or are they trying for a DS look to invoke some kind of recent nostalgia?

Mollutje

Mollutje said:

Could be interesting, but aside from Mutand Mudds the stuff Renegade Kid has put out lately was rather.. mediocre. We'll see how this turns out.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Sounds and looks like Silent Hill...which is not a bad thing at all. Played a couple games of that series and was scared to even finish them. HA! I'll have to keep an eye out for this title. Can't remember, is this retail or eShop download? Any release info or estimates?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

My kinda game.
@pixelman you are gonna have to deal with it now, he wanted to try some new (a new series) and who knows, maybe it will top moon.

shinobi88

shinobi88 said:

For those not in the know, which looks like EVERYone on these boards, Renegade Kid is a small studio composed of people whose main experience with video game tech was working on N64 games. Which is why they became Renegade Kid and only specialized in DS games, because DS had the exact same graphics tech as the N64 and they already had an engine built for it.

Renegade doesn't have the time or resources to build a completely new 3D engine. So you can expect all of their 3DS games set in a 3D environent like ATV wild ride and this FPS to look exactly like their DS games enhanced with 3D. But they had, without exaggeration, the single best lookin 3D engine on DS. So it's not like this or any of their other 3D games are ugly by any stretch.

The environment looks amazingy creepy. But I do hope this first person shooter has somethin to shoot with

Nathan1000

Nathan1000 said:

looks like Nintendo's version of half life sort of especially since the person has a wrench as a weapon

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

I don't mind the DS'ish like graphics as in the case of ATV Wild Ride. I think the ATV 3DS they just released looks like a step up from DS graphics. Could be better being a 3DS but still looked good. Played awesome, which is what i look for mainly. I actually still plug in my DS Call of Duty games that N-Space developed couple years ago. If its as good as those or Moon or Dementium, i'm getting it.

Blue_Yoshi

Blue_Yoshi said:

PLEASE don't tell me its a zombie game -_- That's the last thing we need when it comes to "innovation"

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

This game probably has had a year in development, and it'll be out at the end of the year, looks like it could turn out as another great game for the studio.

Neram

Neram said:

Now this could be creepy. I really enjoyed Moon, so hopefully this game will be just as good, if not better. I'm intrigued, Renegade Kid, looking forward to seeing more.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

3ds fps? its about time, the DS could have handled some fps action but basically no one took advantage of that.
hope this game is good. even better, i hope it inspires more fps on 3ds in the future.

Gustoff

Gustoff said:

Zombies? I don't think so. I think it'll be deformed monsters and such. A'la Silent Hill...maybe? Or maybe just deranged and deformed humans...

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

A nice few picky people here, oh there better be no zombies, ew the graphics and all that stuff, better having a fps then not having one.

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@nathan1000
Half-Life's first weapon wasn't a wrench: it was a crowbar IIRC. But you started with a wrench in Prey, and I liked that game very much. However, I found Moon quite mediocre: the DS versions of COD Modern Warfare and COD World at War were better FPSs, IMHO.

I-U

I-U said:

As an eShop game, this is the best looking game in terms of graphical output. Not sure where people are getting the idea that this looks ugly or unimpressive. I guess it's just a dislike for the developer.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

@Thomas

I believe I heard in a vlog that this is the spritual successor to Dementium. You're likely right it's a survival horror game (the fact that one of the screens show a headstone bodes well for the horror theory too.

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Watsham said the PAX version was put together in a rush so yeah, why so many complaints? The screens are from a proof of concept atmospheric demo.

18jcrone

18jcrone said:

I'm not a big fan of survival horror games but this one looks pretty cool, I was waiting for a first person game on the 3ds.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

This reminds me of an actual small town I passed by in Nevada. I forgot the name, but it was so dilapidated and grimy and creepy that I didn't feel safe stopping by. Not to mention, the citizens looked at me eerily. But maybe I'm just judgmental. lol I'm keeping tabs on this.

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

Wow, the 3D works very well. I like it already! Reminds me slightly of Silent Hill with the grainy effect.

C-195

C-195 said:

@Gnoll
I think he was referencing Half Life: Opposing Force, an expansion for the original Half Life, in which one of your two melee weapons was a Pipe Wrench.

Oh, Adrian Shepard where art thou?

Tony_342

Tony_342 said:

I'm very excited about this one. Those screenshots obviously take place during a very thick dust storm. I'm sure it looks amazing in motion (especially in 3D). Renegade Kid definitely know how to make good, atmospheric FPS games on handheld systems.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

@I-U Please don't get full of it now. Everybody got over the whole piracy/Nintendo thing long, LONG ago. Those screenshots look bad, though screenshots are hard to tell because of the potential "super 8" style or what looks like a dust storm.

That's the best looking eShop game? Please fix your contacts or lay off the fanboyism. Go look at Nano Assault EX, one of the sexiest 3DS games out there. The other Shin'en games are practically on par (Art of Balance, soon to be Jett Rocket) with that. Then we got games like Dillon's Rolling Western and Pushmo/Crashmo which use rather barren playfields but slick textures, or perhaps games like Sakura Samurai or Order Up which have heavily stylized art (and I though SS was pretty ugly).

To say that THIS is the best looking eShop game goes beyond opinion, because down to the textures and resolution that is a completely asinine statement. This looks like the DS engine in a slightly higher resolution (which is a shame because said DS titles pushed the DS, yet these don't seem to come close).

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I was kind of hoping this wouldn't turn out to be a horror game. Still, it does have the potential of becoming a good game. I guess we shall see in the near future.

GTWarrior77

GTWarrior77 said:

Not interested. I'm not a fan of survival horror games at all. Looking forward to Renegade Kid's Mutant Mudds 2 though.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

@Gen0neD I appreciate the fact they are making an FPS for those who care. I don't and others may not as well. But to each their own. I will say that Moon and Dementium were not to bad, so if you like fps games you may like them.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

I'm astonished not one person mentioned that this is only the outside levels. Obviously the indoor environments will be different looking.

Dementium 2 is the best handheld FPS I've ever played (and I played almost all the GBA, ds, and even two vita FPS games). I hope this sells well and they being more to us, including remasters of Demetium 1 and 2 (though 1 needs a lot of work, 2 will begone as is)

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!!

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Great (likely paraphrased) news from Renegade Kid for those who dislike the graphics.

"They know the game looks like a DS game right now, but they wanted some footage to go with the announcement to set the feel. (The demo is called an "atmosphere" demo and there's basically no gameplay other than walking around the area.) They cited RE Revelations as a fantastic looking game they're striving towards, but also said they likely won't be able to get to that level because of their size."

I-U

I-U said:

@rayword45
Nano Assualt EX was never a game on my radar, so I didn't consider it, but you're right it does look better. Has the new Jett Rocket been seen in action? This does look better than both Pushmo and Dillon to me, and while it does look like a DS game, "looking like a DS game" makes it one of the better looking eShop titles. So sure, it's not the best looking, it's one of the best looking.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Lookin' good so far! Can't wait to see what else they've got going on with this!

AtomicToaster

AtomicToaster said:

Survival horror isn't really a genre that needs to be cutting edge graphics. Look at games like Amnesia, ZombiU and even the old Dementium on DS. The game is about atmosphere and sometimes atmosphere can't be attained it were a game with crazy jaw dropping AAA studio graphics. It's fine if things are a bit grainy and "film like" is what I mean. Actually old film stock was something used in awesome B flick horror movies even back in the day, no cutting edge HD, in fact it would probably take away from those older movies! Fact is, your brain does a lot of the imagining in these games.

SyFyTy

SyFyTy said:

it IS a horror survival theme, I read this somewhere else months ago. Theses screens have been available for almost a year on www.3ds-screenshot.com. This site has screens for every major (3ds) release in several languages for viewing directly on the 3ds browser. Though it was only last upated 3-22-2013
and BTW great gameplay without HD graphics can succeed but high def graphics without great gameplay can not succeed. Sooo no graphics mean little to the success of a good game.