Nintendo Details Multiplayer Mode In Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon

Posted by Andy Green

Update: Nintendo releases footage

Last week we reported that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will include a multiplayer mode. Nintendo had done its best to keep the whole thing a secret until recently when multiplayer was listed as a feature on the game's official website. Confusion arose however, as the info bar along the side stated: "No. of Players: 1 player".

Thankfully Nintendo has got its torch out to shed some light on the situation. It has officially been confirmed that Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon will have multiplayer — including a download play element — for up to four people to enjoy. This will include online multiplayer, allowing you to play with others even when your friends aren't nearby.

The fun begins by teaming up with other ghost-busters and entering the Scarescraper full to the brim with all sorts of paranormal goings-on. One of the modes that has been detailed is Hunter Mode, where players take control of different coloured Luigi characters and hunt down ghosts together as a team. There are several floors in the Scarescraper that all need clearing; each floor has a set time limit, so if the ghosts are still there when time runs out then you lose.

Several bonuses and upgrades will be made available along the way depending on how well you all do. You can play through 5, 10, or 25 floors and there will be boss battles at the top of each tower. Difficulty can be adjusted accordingly depending on your experience and style of play and fallen teammates can be revived so you won't have to sit out should you fall.

Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon will be available in North America on 24th March and across Europe at some point in March. It will be available both in physical and downloadable formats.

Are you looking forward to playing some ghost-hunting multiplayer? Check out the brief trailer from Nintendo and let us know what you think in the comments section below.

Knux

Knux said:

Wow, online multiplayer? This could have as much replay value as Kid Icarus: Uprising! :O

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

Sounds good! Still deciding when I'm picking this one up, although this will probably alter my decision.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I was hoping for mini-games a la DS Mario titles. But this is even better assuming it goes well.

Inev

Inev said:

This seems pretty interesting, and download play is unexpected, but I doubt I'll use it much.

@BlueCosmos42
Do you see lag when all the Luigis jump together at around the 35 second mark, or is that just my imagination?

Wildfire

Wildfire said:

When all alone
pick up the phone
and call...
Ghostb...I mean... friends to play
Luigi's mansion2! :D

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

Wow, this is better than I expected. I thought the whole time that it would be tied down to local play, but this is a good highlight to my day. :)

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

Nice!
Online and Download Play? That's how all 3DS MP games should be!

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Just when you have a game all figured out, something like this just grabs you out of nowhere and say Boo!

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

Toa-? Oh...
I'm also glad to see download mode is a feature. I feel like DS games, and ESPECIALLY 3DS games, never made enough use of it, so it's good to see even one more game with it.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Nice! I was set on buying the game long ago, but this is just ectoplasm on the cake. Go, 'Uigi!

9-Volt

9-Volt said:

Aww... I was hoping for the Mario & Wario Bros. teaming up. Oh well. It's still gonna be a good game. :b

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It turns out they didn't make a mistake after all, and it has online multiplayer at that! That should really make ghost-hunting interesting.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

They should have added Mario, Wario and Waluigi together, I mean, they are all voiced by the same voice actor, but still, 4 Luigi's screaming at the same time will be hilarious, and this will be the first new Mario/Luigi game I will play after my birthday.

Also, they should have named the multiplayer mode, LEFT 4 LUIGI

ilovegaming

ilovegaming said:

I was considering buying it at some point(never played the original) but now I think I want it for sure- as long as it ends up being as good as it looks!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

EXCELLENT news. Luigi x Ghostbusters is two of my favorite things coming together and now a multiplayer mode of it? Sign me up :)

Therian

Therian said:

Awesome! Can't wait for this game, and the different coloured Luigis will be interested!

Gioku

Gioku said:

Different colored Luigis? That's weird... I guess it's not too much different from the multicolored Marios in the Super Mario Advance ports of Mario Bros.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I'll be picking up a few Nintendo network games this year and try to play online more

NintendoFlow

NintendoFlow said:

Nintendo never fails when it comes to excitement. They have been doing a great job for 2013 :D.

clavier141

clavier141 said:

Before it was between Animal Crossing: New Leaf and this, but now I think I'll have to get both. Go, On-line Multi-player!

erv

erv said:

Online multiplayer? Now I wonder if I should just get a 3ds!

blackjim

blackjim said:

I've had this game reserved at Gamestop since it was announced, and this is just another awesome reason to be more excited!

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Sweet! But it feels a bit weird with a bunch of different color Luigi's running around instead of other nintendo characters. But whatever! I love that it has multiplay and i can't wait for it to be released!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

wow i was kinda bummed when they said march release but online multiplayer? talk about awesome :D i cant wait till i can preorder this

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Nintendo? Online multiplayer? Is this even real?:D

I´m so glad about this. Now I can play Luigi´s Mansion 2 multiplayer with my cousin who lives hundreds of kilometres away from my hometown.