7000 Wii U Systems Stolen in Seattle

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Nintendo will be sleepless tonight

Earlier this week there were initial reports in local press that thousands of Wii consoles had been stolen from a distribution warehouse in Seattle, though now the story has spread wider and it's transpired that they were Wii U systems that were seized. If the stock is never retrieved, then it's a loss for Nintendo and its distribution partners (more than likely covered by insurance) of over $2 million — that's based on an assumption that the systems are worth $300 each.

It was certainly daring but also remarkably simple, with reports that the thieves went to the SeaTac's Seattle Air Cargo warehouse during a storm, entered the building and loaded up pallets of the consoles into three rather large vehicles; then they simply drove away. The trucks were also likely to be stolen, as these individuals obviously don't like paying for things.

If you live in the U.S. and encounter any sales on eBay or otherwise of Wii U systems that you suspect may be stolen — for example large quantities may be sold together — then contact the The King County Sheriff's office on 206-296-3311.

[via vg247.com, kotaku.com]

mudjo

mudjo said:

The tragedy! Those of you in America, it's up to you to steal them back!

madgear

madgear said:

If Nintendo are having trouble shifting the systems then these guys are going to be sitting in a warehouse full of them for a good long while.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

It's not my problem if some fool steals a bunch of WiiUs. I'll let the police handle this one. Besides there's not much I can do all the way from Florida. I hope nintendo learns from this and increases their security to prevent something like this from happening again.

Otto-Soq

Otto-Soq said:

I hope at least some machines will arrive in some poor kids living rooms.

Lobster

Lobster said:

I hope they catch these guys. Though it would be a total day ruiner to find out you got one of the stolen systems.

KAHN

KAHN said:

basic editions? they're practically useless compared to the deluxe edition! this article should be edited with the deluxe editions! or maybe they got both basic and deluxe? either way, this feels like such a tragedy! i hope the criminals are caught! i can only imagine how nintendo feels! they'll probably say something about it later this week.

TornadoX7

TornadoX7 said:

im in new jersey and seattle is on the complete opposite side of the country, but i will travel (walk if i had to) over there just to kick some crusty thieves' butt and give back those wii u's!! i mean seriously they have to be BROUGHT DOWN!!

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK If you're referring to the $300 comment, that's the pre-retail value. I think Kotaku sensibly got that figure from the well-known fact that Wii U systems are sold at a small loss. Not exact, but it's probably in the right ball park. I imagine the warehouse had a mix of models.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

The Consoles were stolen during a storm in Seatle? Go figure.
How do they change the Story from Wii to Wii U anyways?

MAB

MAB said:

The movie is already in development 'OceansU' with a new track by Rammstein 'U Heist Mii' ;)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

These thieves need to be caught soon. Not only does this hurt Nintendo, but the fans out there that still want a Wii U. It sounds like security needs to be bumped up there.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Like was said above I think people are going to have a hard time registering those systems. I'm sure Nintendo gets back the info when they are scanned in at the stores for serial numbers. I wonder if they can even be used at all really. If you can download the update I think Nintendo might be able to see if it was one of the stolen ones and track them from there. After all insurance will cover the cost but the thieves must be brought to justice!

Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby said:

Let me preface this question by stating that I'm not very good at economics. At all =P

So how does this hurt Nintendo? Don't they make all of their money by selling the system to retailers?

Ohhh, wait. I think I understand now. They were stolen on their way to the retailers, so Nintendo is now responsible for replacing those systems and getting them out to the retailers who bought them but didn't receive any.

Ouch. That really does seem like a big hit!

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

It they get reimbursed by insurance its a win for Nintendo.
People who buy those consoles will obviously buy games to play on it
LOL. Kidding
Chances are that the serial number of those consoles are recorded some were and Nintendo can have law enforcement recover them if the users register them.
Also Most likely the company (their ins comp) who had them in custody are responsible.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

Nintendo are already selling them at loss... :'(
Those Wii U could have been great Christmas gifts for families too...

AddADashOfSalt

AddADashOfSalt said:

Those theives'll get coal for Christmas.

Anyhow, I really really hope Ninty get the consoles back or the money for the consoles.

Dambuster

Dambuster said:

Can you honestly say if you were offered one at half price you would not take it? I know I would. They did not hurt anyone, so its a victimless crime. Nintendo and the retailers will be insured, and you can bet your bottom dollar only 5000 were pinched, but if Nintendo put out that 7000 were stolen they get the insurance money for 7000. I cant understand how people feel sorry for any multinational companies

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Dambuster - I think your definition of "victimless crime" needs a little work. Nintendo will lose money b/c their insurance rates will go up, stores will lose sales, the security guards will probably be fired, these Wii U's will probably be bricked by Nintendo, and govts are losing all of the sales tax, so peoples taxes will go up more.

Not saying I wouldn't buy one, but there are lots of potential victims here.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

To be honest, those systems probably won't even be sold in NA - I mean, if I stole a bunch of stuff to sell, I sure as heck wouldn't sell it anywhere near the site of the crime. (Just a guess though. ;) )

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@SamIAm69 We do our best to pick up email tips, and they're much appreciated. In this case it slipped through, but we do pick up on them often :)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Dambuster: Ok let me steal your car and sell it on ebay for half the price and see how victimless you feel. I am sure you will be yelling and hollering for justice if you were the victim.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

The shipping company owes Nintendo for the failure to do there jobs. That is unacceptable and I would put that company out of business. That is a load of money down the drain and they need to pay for the loss.

123akis

123akis said:

nintendo should secretely send wii u serial number info from wii u consoles connected to the internet, to a hard drive and track down all wii u consoles that has been actually scanned and sold

Gameday

Gameday said:

Its over 6000 (vegeta voice)
Somebody aint doing their job or it was an inside man.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

All right Nintendo, it's time to break out your ninjas. And if you don't have any, get some.

"Good riddance thieving scum! The world's better off without you!"

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

Just look for the Club Nintendo account that has over one million points, then track them down

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

wish i lived in seattle! could maybe get me a wiiU for $250 and that would be awesome. sorry nintendo! nyah ;p

Hyperstar96

Hyperstar96 said:

7000 Wii U units have been kidnapped by thieves.
Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the systems?

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

This is the cheesiest heist I've ever heard of; what could you possibly do with 7000 wii u consoles?

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

!!!!! That's horrible.... 7,000 stolen??? How could that even happen??? Hope these thieves get caught!

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

Here's my theory: Santa's elves (which are actually gnomes) stole the system so Santa (a communistic dictator that pretends to be a jolly fat guy) could use them in his plot to raise an army of children in order to take over the world.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

@Dambuster All right, so I'll steal 7,000 items from you if you ever open a multinational company, before said items reach the retailer. You'll be insured, and it's a victimless crime. Sound fair?

Korbin64

Korbin64 said:

@mudjo : TAKE NO PRISONERS! LETS ROUND UP THESE RUSTLERS AND LET 'EM KNOW WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SOMEONE MESSES WITH OUR WII U's!

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

A few months from now, Storage Wars unlocks a storage unit stuffed with hot Wii-Us. Hmmm, somebody forgot to pay their bill :P

-KawaiiHaylee

-KawaiiHaylee said:

Oh my goodness! What kind of crazy person would steal so many?! Now I'm afraid to buy a Wii U off of online shopping sites-- I might be stealing stolen products! :(