Shantae And The Pirate's Curse Announced For 3DS

Posted by Orla Madden

Your wish has been granted

Brace yourselves, WayForward fans - the latest edition of Nintendo Power magazine (second to last, we should say) features the announcement of the 3DSWare title Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse on the front cover of the magazine, and is a direct sequel to Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

Not too much information has been given about the game, but what we do know is that it is said to be twice as big as its predecessor, with Shantae teaming up with her arch nemesis Risky. Shantae and Risky must join forces to stop the Tinkerbat minions from reviving The Pirate Master, the game's central villain. It will feature a Metroid-style map system, with both new and old locations appearing throughout the game.

Shantae and the Pirate's Curse will be a 3DS eShop exclusive, and we can expect to see its release some time in 2013. Are you excited about the new sequel? We sure are, and just in case you haven't played Shantae: Risky's Revenge, why not read our review?

Check out the photos of the magazine below.

[via gonintendo.com]

Knux

Knux said:

Oh my God...and I haven't even finished Risky's Revenge (or even played the original Shantae)! :O

Rockmirth

Rockmirth said:

I dont know what to say so just imagine a large scream of epicness
also any words on shantae 1 coming for 3ds?

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

I didn't buy the dsi one because it was pretty pricey but one of these days when the first one comes out on vc and maybe a discount of some sort for the dsi one,I will get all three.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Several months ago there was an announcement for Shantae as a Wii U eShop title. (Or as I like to call it "WiiUware") my guess is that this title is Multi Platform. (That may include iOS, concidering Risky's Revenge was ported to iOS)

6ch6ris6

6ch6ris6 said:

still havent played any shantae game. hope there will be a discount some time. not sure if i will like this

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

So, I was the first one here and I've just now picked myself up off the floor. So, allow me to share my thoughts with you when I saw this.

Ahem...

Untitled

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Loved the second one, I'm waiting for the 1st one. I'll get this when it comes, likely day one too, as Risky' Revenge was one of the best dsiware titles I played, though a bit over rated I found.

Void

Void said:

When did she get a pistol? :o
Or any of that other Pirate-ey gear.

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

There'll have to be some new hooks after the way Risky's Revenge ended. Wonder what they'll be...

Pikachupwnage

Pikachupwnage said:

@Void

SPOILERS AHEAD!
SPOILERS AHEAD
SPOILERS AHEAD!
SPOILERS AHEAD!
SPOILERS AHEAD!
SPOILERS AHEAD!

Pretty sure Shantae lost her genie powers at the end of risky's revenge.

RIsky probably gave her the pistol and sword.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

Ohhhhhh WOOWW!! :o A new Shantae game for the eShop is something I never would have thought that WayForward would pull. I never played the 1st Shantae on GAME BOY COLOR , but I have played Shantae: Risky's Revenge on DSi before and enjoyed every minute of it. I do like the way how they made Shantae look more like a pirate now, but as this being a direct sequel makes it even better in my book.

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Hey cool! I've still not played a Shantae game but I love the art style, looks like this would be a fun place to start! :)

TheN64Dude

TheN64Dude said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

rayword45

rayword45 said:

Hopefully we'll have a useful map, a longer game and some more replay value like achievements.

If not, still good to know we're getting more 3DS WayForward. Maybe a fourth Mighty title afterwards looking at the DSi pattern?

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@zipmon

Trust me on this. If you haven't played any Shantae game before AT ALL , Shantae: Risky's Revenge on the eShop is a good game to start off with in the series.

@MetalMario

Ditto on that man. I still can't believe after all these years that NINTENDO POWER is dying out like this in the printed press section. Hopefully they can still carry forward on the Wii U in some way. I know that would make everyone grateful and happy. Even me.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Man, Risky boots is just so... man... <3 :* :*
Idk. I hated the DSiWare one for sme reason. Honestly, I think I need to go back and play it again. Maybe my opinion will change. I'll be somewhat looking forward to this.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Wish they'd hurry up & release the 1st Shantae on the eShop to at least tide us over until Shantae 3 is released :D Can't wait!

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

awe. some. sauce.

Hopefully the original is released concurrently on the vc.

Hopefully it wont take years to arrive at PAL

Hopefully they have a string error in this one. it was hilarious in RR

Karakato

Karakato said:

Gorgeous 2D spritework in layered 3D? Hook it to my veins please! With the File restriction gone, I'm hoping this will be more substantial than Risky's Revenge which I still enjoyed. Also

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

Risky's Revenge was greatly overrated. Nice graphics but annoying backtracking and dreadful map. I consider it as 7/10 game.

If those assets are fixed in the new one, you can count me in.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I don't know why they keep trying to push shantae on the ds & 3ds. I bought shantae as dsiware on my dsi a couple of year's ago & it just was just plain bad as a game in general. Yuck! (> _ <) blehh... I'll be glad when nintendo releases this already & get's it out of the way for the better games to come in 2013. :(

Happy Gaming! (^ _ ^)

Kimiko

Kimiko said:

Risky's Revenge was pretty cool, if a little hard at times. Looking forward to another reason to buy a 3DS.
Will the game come to Europe too? Or should I just go with an imported N-American 3DS?

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Risky's Revenge was good, but didn't really cut it for me. If this game builds upon it it could be all kinds of amazing though.
The GBC game would be a definite download however.

EpicMegaman64

EpicMegaman64 said:

Twice as big? Awesome! Risky's Revenge was fun, but it only took me a few hours to beat 100%. I will definitely be downloading this on day one!

Rect_Pola

Rect_Pola said:

Sweeeeeeeeet. All we need now is the original coming out and I'll be happy as a clam.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

Aw yeah! Really liked the sequel on DSI ware and now this is just too good.

Thank you Nintendo Power for your news coverage. You shall be missed.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

HELL YES!!!!!

I mean, I'd probably need a walkthrough (I like the style of these games, but damn I get lost too often), but that's a day-1 download for sure.

EpicMegaman64

EpicMegaman64 said:

Has Wayforward confirmed if this comes out before after the GBC Virtual Console of the original Shantae?

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@TheAmazingRaccoon: OK, I haven't heard of a sting error. Not bashing you, but could someone explain that to me?

By the way, I can feel your pain. The GBC Original was announced for release in the US eShop. Still currently waiting.

Hybrid

Hybrid said:

Day...freakin....one!
I like Risky's Revenge and I'm ready for the next title :)

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I will definitely be getting this day one! :D I just did a massive trade with a member from Nintendoage and got a GBC Shantae out of it. Awesome game, as well as the DSi sequel.