Nintendo Download: 15th November 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Mickey gets epic, monster shooting, Myst and more

It's Thursday, which comes before Friday, but also means Nintendo Download day. This week throws up a fair bit of content on 3DS, including four retail downloads with one high-profile release and the return of a PC classic, while DSi owners also have a couple of options to look forward to. Feast your eyes on this week's offerings, below.

3DS Download Software

Monster Shooter (Gamelion, $6.99) — This top-down shooter made its name on iOS and Android devices, and arrives on the 3DS eShop to offer its brand of alien blasting, with all of the unlockables and incentives typical of a smartphone game. As the title suggests it involves shooting lots of things, though it can be a tad repetitive and is also let down by some auto-aim quirks. Check out our Monster Shooter review for full details.

3DS Retail Downloads

Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (Disney Interactive Studios, $39.99) — Available from 18th November, this 3DS-exclusive accompanies the series sequel set to grace Wii and Wii U. Adopting a 2D platforming style with some twists, while drawing heavy inspiration from Sega Genesis title Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse, this is full of promise. There's also a demo available on the eShop, so there's the chance to try before you buy.

Hotel Transylvania (GameMill Entertainment, $29.99) — It's a movie tie-in that arrived in stores way back on 18th September, so this is a rather curious inclusion. It must also be said that the words "movie tie-in" don't often go hand-in-hand with high quality game experiences, and this one fails to be an exception. Our reviewer would choose "squandered potential" if they were only allowed two words to summarise, but thankfully you can read plenty more words on the subject in our Hotel Transylvania review.

Myst (Maximum Games, $29.99) — This one arrived in retail stores on 26th October, but now makes a surprise appearance on the eShop. It's a re-make of a highly regarded point-and-click PC title from the 1990s, promising revamped visuals and a 3D effect that the publisher claims "jumps from the screen and really puts the player in the game". No doubt retro PC gamers will contemplate it, even at a retail price point.

American Mensa Academy (Maximum Games, $29.99) — The second retail download this week from Maximum Games, this time it's a wannabe rival to Nintendo's own Brain Training franchise. Originally released in PAL regions during the summer as Mensa Academy, that version published by Square Enix, it now makes its way to North America under new ownership.

DSiWare

Jump Trials (G-Style, 200 Points) — It's a budget, minimalist platformer that seems to be similar in style to GO Series: 10 Second Run. That's not necessarily a bad comparison for this new title to live with, though it'll have it's own style to try and charm us with; we'll limber up and put it through its paces in our review, soon.

Working Dawgs: A-Maze-Ing Pipes (Big John Games, 200 Points) — Aside from having a rather humorous title, this one offers 80 puzzles that'll involve using the stylus to place pipes, or bombs to clear obstacles. It's all about getting water through the piping system to save a construction site full of hard-working "dawgs", but we'll see whether it gets the plumbing right in our upcoming review.

Nintendo Video

Dinosaur Office: Thanksgiving Special! — When Craig is faced with spending Thanksgiving alone, he discovers the true spirit of the holidays.

So that's your lot, with four third-party retail titles making an appearance on the 3DS eShop. Let us know what you think, and what'll be accounting for your hard-earned funds, in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (195 votes)

Monster Shooter (eShop)

Disney Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion (3DS retail download)

19%

Hotel Transylvania (3DS retail download)

Myst (3DS retail download)

American Mensa Academy (3DS retail download)

Jump Trials (DSiWare)

Working Dawgs: A-Maze-Ing Pipes (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

70%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

No Adventure Time Demo, bummer. I'm glad to see a variety of retail downloads, even if they aren't the most interesting games.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I plan on getting Power of Illusion, but not until a later date(once I get my Wii U and games sorted out), so nothing for me this week.

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

(yawns) Nothing good this week. Crashmo, Fluidity: Spin Cycle, and Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels are all coming, those are all I care about digitally atm.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

EDIT: Yeah, I'm excited for Lost Levels and Crashmo too. Also Harmoknight looks interesting. :)

HeroOfCybertron

HeroOfCybertron said:

Wasn't the Adventure Time demo supposed to come out today? I was going download the Adventure Time demo and I am buying Epic Mickey at retail then nothing for me this week from the eshop.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I hope the full version of Adventure Time comes on the eShop eventually.

Getting both DSiWare games and Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion this week, along some Wii U games! :)

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Wow... Other than Mickey, I bet most of these games pale in comparison to the fun and joy if cleaning out a dirty septic tank. End of comment.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Dang. Not any good thing in sight this week to me except Epic Mickey: Power Of Illusion. I would get this game this weekend, but I want to see what kind of review this game gets after it comes out.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I have to be honest, when I saw Myst I assumed it had been bumped from retail to a $6 download (which would be more realistic), so I'm a bit stunned that it's $30.

AbeVigoda

AbeVigoda said:

@MultiMariosonic
"Power of Illusion looks more like a GBA game than a 3DS game. Considering what 3DS is capable of, they could've done much better than that."

Are you kidding me? Have you even played the demo? It looks about 10X better than NSM2 and has probably the best 2-D side scrolling graphics on the 3DS.

AG_Awesome

AG_Awesome said:

NICE! I can't wait to play Ninja Gaiden!! Sure they forgot about it last week after officially announcing it but at least this week... Ugh :(

Smh

antipop621

antipop621 said:

I'll get Mickey eventually based on the developer. I'm a proud owner of Henry Hatsworth and Monster Tale.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

I'll get Epic Mickey: Power of Illusion, but for retail, I'm saving for crashmo next week so nothing for me this week, also, still waiting for flipnote memo or whatever they will call it.

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Epic Mickey seems fun, but I'm currently still saving for Wii U games. Also, there's the issue of Paper Mario...

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Yeah, it was pretty stupid of them to go with an appropriately classic art style for a classic character in a tribute to classic games and films.

Wait, what?

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I'm content with the games I'm still trying to complete before the Wii U release so nothing for me this week.

Nice to see more retail release in the eshop especially from 3rd party developers, even though 3/4 of the game are not much to wow about but that just an opinon.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Didn't expect all those retail games to come out of nowhere. Too bad two of them will be mediocre. Nice to see Mickey and Myst though.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Probably getting Monster Shooter. I find that while I'm technically classified as a 'core gamer' I'm also enamoured with more casual games. Loved a lot of other iOS ports, so I'm looking forward to this one. But I'm REALLY looking forward to Adventures of Link next week. I have the GBA port but without restore points I kinda sorta really suck at it.

Wonder_Ideal

Wonder_Ideal said:

Nothing for me this week. Low on funds and waiting for the Wii U. Might pick up the Epic Mickey demo though.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Man, I'm really bummed about Ninja Gaiden. Hope he hasn't gone the way of ol' Sonic, forever on backlog.

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I was going to get Power of Illusion until I played the demo. I wasn't a fan of the painting something every 30 seconds to advance in the game.

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

@bezerker99 Same here. Was gonna get it but the painting killed it for me. The artwork and such are amazing though. I'd get it if there weren't any painting involved.

Boo_Buster

Boo_Buster said:

@ThomasBW84 I'd actually get Myst if it was in the $10 range....but $30? C'mon man. You are very right Tommy, they need to sort out their retail-games-on-the-eShop prices. They should put Pilotwings and Steel Diver up for $19.99, they would sell great, but they never will. I love Nintendo, I really do, but decisions like this are quite the head scratcher... I'm sorry Nintendo, but there are only a few retail games out there I am paying full price to download (Animal Crossing is basically it). If they were $5 less than the physical copy I'd be a lot more apt to buy the digital version. Perhaps when they see more people buying games on the Wii U solely because of that Wii U premium discount they will see the light... but they only see their own light. I love that about them, and hate it at times as well. Thanks Tom

nocode

nocode said:

I've played the power of illusion demo and while I enjoyed it, it certainly isn't worth $40. Think ill wait til it comes down. This month is already getting expensive enough with the wii u just days away...

Hokori

Hokori said:

I hope we get 5 older retail downloads each week until we're caught up

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

Tried the epic mickey demo and while it looked good. It just didn't keep my attention for long. Now Lego lord of the rings... I want that game haha.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Hmmm... I might get this, but I'd rather pick up Epic Mickey 2 for Wii U first, not to mention it's the same price. I'm getting really excited for this console. The gamepad looks really fancy, and the games coming out look legit for sure. The gamepa is ALOT smaller than I thought it would be. I'll be at Best Buy and GS on Sunday. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

I think some people threw me a reference. I don't like Adventure Time, just wanted to let my friend know when the demo is out.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

UGH.

WHY

ISN'T

NINJA

GAIDEN

HERE?

Honestly, you promised us THE EIGHTH, and it's not even here this week! Also, where is the adventure time demo?:(

Nanamine

Nanamine said:

Nintendo if you don't release the Adventure Time demo I'm going to flash you.
Lolwut

mystman12

mystman12 said:

I've always been a fan of Myst, but I've heard absolutely terrible things about the 3DS version. People are saying that it's not even 3D.

Bluezealand

Bluezealand said:

Where are the reviews? According to my amazon pre-order, they will send it in about twelve hours and there are still no reviews. -.-
The only reason, I haven't cancelled my order is the 10€ amazon promo, they offered because of the Gamescom.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Sweet! :D

I was going to buy american mensa academy 3ds off of amazon later because they had a release date of Nov 27th for the game but yay! I got the game early in the e-shop & one day before my b-day! Yayy! :) Plus working dawgs! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Tantan

Tantan said:

Waiting for a review on epic Mickey 2 but what I really want is a review of the 999 sequel.... Reason i decided to join @! For some reason meta critic didn't give it a rating. I hope NL gives it a 10.

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I ALWAYS wanted to play Myst... Is this my chance?
I sure hope so.

But I'm still busy with Pokemon White 2. So that'll have to wait.

RR529

RR529 said:

Ugh, absolutely nothing this week. C'mon, just Monster Shooter, & nothing else? Weak.

(BTW, I don't count the retail downloads as part of the update, because I prefer physical. Only interested in "3DSWare" & VC).

Hokori

Hokori said:

I hope we get that KH DDD digital version soon(they did say during 2012)

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@HarmoKnight,

Cool! I didn't know miyamoto had the same birthday as me! :D Sweet! :)

I got alot of stuff planned for my birthday! :D I love November it's my favorite month out of the year because of my birthday & because of thanksgiving & christmas lol. :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

HammerBr0

HammerBr0 said:

Not the best this week
I wish they can put GBA games for download on the 3DS virtual console list :(

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

I'll probably just wait until Crashmo comes out next week. However, I'm a little dissapointed that the AT demo wasn't released today even though I already have the collector's edition pre-ordered.

MAB

MAB said:

I bought MYST 3DS for $20 retail and it has no stereoscopic 3D visuals ;) it even says on the box that it dosen't use it... I would have liked the RealMYST version but I have been enjoying it anyway.

Is that you Atrus... BRING ME THE BLUE PAGES :P

Phle

Phle said:

If I'm going to get Epic Mickey, I rather buy the physical version than downloading it. I have been wanting to get Myst 3D, but no store where I live has it, so I might end up downloading it because I can't get my hands on a physical copy. Other that that though, I don't think I'll get anything.

JoeysGirl

JoeysGirl said:

Why pay $40 for Epic Mickey as a download that's forever stuck on one system and has zero resale value, when you can buy it from amazon for $30 (physical copy) that you can use in any system you want, and sell it when you're done! I hate download games. They are basically just a loan (and they even say that when you buy them, in the fine print).
I'd rather have a game that is MINE. :) Just ranting!

edcomics

edcomics said:

Played the Mickey demo. It felt more like punishment than entertainment. I'm not sure what they were going for, but it just felt like a terrible mess to me. What a waste of SD card space.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Emailed Nintendo to check about the Ninja Gaiden stuff, since they had a press release-set date and all that. Here's the response, which is probably typical, but I figured I'd share anyways:

"Thanks for writing. I can certainly understand your interest in Ninja Gaiden. As you are aware, this game was not yet released on the Nintendo eShop. However, I'm happy to forward your comments to the appropriate people so that your feedback will be heard. While I can't guarantee when or if this game will be added, we take all feedback into consideration."

So there you have it. For now, there are no guarantees about not only WHEN, but IF Ninja Gaiden will make it to the eShop. Dunno what gives, but there's the closest thing to an answer we're gonna get.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

@MrWezzle That there is just your standard PR press release, of course they wont tell you. Last time I contacted Nintendo, they said the exact same thing, dont worry im sure you NAers will get it soon, everyone in PAL has Ninja Gaiden.
Then again you guys get all the awesome releases and we are stuck with 1 or 2 releases a week, so I think it's fair for you guys to wait a little longer. I still want Cave Story and The Denpamen, they still haven't made it here and we're meant to get both Q4.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

It's Power of Illusion Only for me, in December that is. I just wish the game
had less dialogue. The last thing i need is for a Castle of Illusion sequal to be full of 'in game' chatter. Makes the game come to a complete hault. Leave the Heavy dialogue to Paper Mario!

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm broke...
But MYST?
I have it on my PC. Got it for $5 from GoodWill.
Maybe I'll stay away, maybe I'll get it.
The 3DS's GameNotes feature will be immensely helpful.

Jarod

Jarod said:

wow I just played the Mickey demo and it has to be the slowest game I have ever played in my entire life from the seemingly 20 minute opening cutscene all in extremely slow text to the actual platforming just wow I thought it would feel just like the original on sega but it's soooooooo slooooow and B to jump? really? when is the B button ever jump other then the GameCube version of the mega man anniversary collection and that was brutal

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Nobody should pay more than $5 for Myst. It'll be in the $4.99 bin by Easter, I can wait til then. With the Wii U launch just 2 days away (giggity!), I was hoping for something with a little more pizzazz on the eShop this week.

skjia

skjia said:

@Jarod
Mario uses B to jump...
But I agree, Epic Mickey was painful. I couldnt even finish the demo.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Epic Mickey was like running through quicksand with Iron Boots from Legend of Zelda. That game.... Movement speed so slow...

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

@RetroGBHippie92 Yeah, I figured. It just baffles me that it was in an official press release and yet there's been no word on its absence. I know NA is getting much better eShop updates than the rest of the West, but I mostly look forward to the slow, molasses-like trickle of VC titles, and when a drop doesn't hit my tongue, I get all cranky.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

This version of MYST is an insult to the franchise. It does NOT have 3D visuals. Lies, all lies! Just go to www.gog.com (a 100% legal site) and download the same game or the real-time remake realMYST for much less.

Windy

Windy said:

Be careful guys Epic Mickey is just a little longer than a Demo and that shameful to charge that high price for a retail download. I even feel ripped I bought a retail copy. The game looks like a saturday morning cartoon and to be honest is No Castle Illusion. Sure its not supposed to be Castle of Illusion and does have some nice moments but just not as good