Nintendo Download: 6th September 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Balloon popping, puzzles from Nikoli, princely acrobatics and crazy hunting

It's time for another Nintendo Download update, and we reckon that no-one should be able to complain of a lack of variety. We have two new 3DS eShop titles, a stone-cold Super NES classic on Wii Virtual Console and a wacky sounding DSiWare title. Check out the details below.

3DS eShop

Balloon Pop Remix (UFO Interactive, $7.99) — We've previously sampled the delights of popping balloons in the thoroughly decent WiiWare title Balloon Pop Festival, and now the series arrives with a few twists on the eShop. This version involves drawing lines with the stylus to pop balloons and earn combos, with various modes promised including a story mode, over 100 stages in puzzle mode, with endless play and mini-game options thrown into the mix. We'll see whether the it all adds up to good value in our upcoming review.

Heyawake by Nikoli (HAMSTER, $7.99) — The Nikoli series of puzzle games is becoming an ever-present on the 3DS eShop, and another new style has been added to the list. The task is to fill in spaces on a board, which is split into "rooms", while adhering to a series of rules that'll make your brain work. There are 50 set stages to clear, as well as a random mode that will auto-generate new levels. We'll wrap our heads around it and bring you a review soon.

DSiWare

Crazy Hunter (EnjoyUp Games, $4.99/500 DSi Points) — Crazy Hunter is the latest from EnjoyUp, and your task is to retrieve golden eggs from hens in the clouds. How do you do this? By using a speedboat to knock goats off their candy-made platforms, retrieve them from the water and then use them to build a tower. Crazy is the word, and our review will arrive soon to let you know whether this madness is fun, or too bonkers to play.

Wii Virtual Console

Prince of Persia (Ubisoft, 800 Wii Points) — This popular Super NES title arrived in Europe back in January, and now it's North America's turn to dive into the adventure. It's an action platformer that will make you jump and manoeuvre your way through some tricky stages while engaging in some swordplay against varied enemies. This version has some content that wasn't on other platforms back in the day, and we gave it a particularly strong recommendation in our Prince of Persia review.

Nintendo Video

The Black Keys "Little Black Submarines" — This week Nintendo Video premieres The Black Keys’ 3D video for their hit song “Little Black Submarines”. Filmed during a secret show in Nashville, the video intimately captures the raw energy this band generates on stage.

A bit of a mixture of genres and styles going on this week. Let us know what you're planning to download, if anything, in the comments section and the poll below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (200 votes)

Balloon Pop Remix (eShop)

Heyawake by Nikoli (eShop)

Crazy Hunter (DSiWare)

Prince of Persia (Wii Virtual Console - SNES)

15%

Nothing for me this week

80%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Prince of Persia on the SNES is absolutely superb, it's by far my favourite port of the game.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@dustin_g A better question is to ask when ANY games are coming to wii arcade.
At least America finally got Prince of Persia. Now to move on. Next game Europe has that America has yet to get is Adventure Island II on NES. Came out 11th April 2011.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

If I want to play POP I will just pop in my copy of SANDS OF TIME and play the unlockable version on there.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

P.S. I'll also take Picross-E. Seriously, Nintendo, I'm a foolish, youthful fountain of cash. Gimme something to spend it on, please.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

WOW. Just WOW. Another poor excuse of a week for 3DS VC again like usual. I'll admit, Toki Tori from GAME BOY COLOR last week was a good game to tease the mind. But this week could have kept the momentum going just a bit more next to Prince Of Persia from the SNES. Another thing, where's my Mega Man II on GAME BOY Nintendo?!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

EU never got Balloon Pop Festival WiiWare did it? Doubt we'll get this. The iOS versions of Balloon Pop seem OK, but not what u'd pay a lot of money for.

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@Bass_X0

I was just saying that cause the only game that's Mega Man related form CAPCOM for the 3DS VC is Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge from the GAME BOY. I just wish they would hurry up and release Mega Man II next sometime soon. Just wishful thinking is all.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

I feel so bad for people in America. Why launch a 3DS Virtual Console service if you aren't going to make things available for it? Instead it's all mainly 3rd party shovelware being loaded onto the eShop. NOA needs to get its act in order.

Samholy

Samholy said:

im sick of buying games twice.
the virtual console seemed like a bless at first,then a waste of money. over priced !!!! these games were made years ago, they shouldnt go further than 99cents.

some of these titles cost less if you buy them original !!!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

The Wii's Virtual Console liiiiiiives!!!......Still, I wanted Picross E soooooo badly.

technotreegrass

technotreegrass said:

Maybe Crazy Hunter if the review is good. But I want more Virtual Console games for the 3DS, and bring back the weekend sales!

Windy

Windy said:

Another week of mediocrity. Im sure glad I bought into the Wii and 3ds so that I could be frustrated with lackluster gaming titles and no Robust online multiplayer network to really speak of. I've been gaming since 1978 (yep im old) I have never been more frustrated in gaming than I am now. You really get this feeling Nintendo is either holding back on some imports (like monster hunter) or they are having a hard time with 3rd party developement. My guess is a little bit of both. I bought a 3ds with the intentions of it being my last gaming console. Since day one it has been a lackluster gaming lineup. I have given it plenty of time and if things dont get better soon like they did with the DS Im going to jump ship and move on. If I wanted to sift through an online shop of crappy games I would use my android phone or Ipad for gaming. As for Wii-U all my trust in nintendo is gone. I will wait quite a while and see what happens to it. There are some good games for both systems however this 70% to 80% of bad titles model is inexcusable. Does anyone notice how the ratings in the Eshop for every single game are good?

rjejr

rjejr said:

I can kinda see Crazy Hunter being a $5 game b/c it looks like they put some effort and originality into it, but how on earth are a puzzle game and a balloon popping game $8 each? I'm not stupid enough to try and compare an iOS or Android game to a full blown Mario or Zelda or Metroid game, and I understand the whole "buttons and sticks are better than touchscreen" argument, but those eShop games need to be $2 or $3 MAX. You can play similar games FOR FREE if you have a Google Chrome web browser.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

@Jese_1: Sniff... That means a lot. Sincerely, it really does. I'm actually willing to buy the games, since I didn't have them as a youngin'. Thanks for the sympathy.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

@Tasuki I say it will because both Japan and Europe have it on the 3DS VC and all regions are getting the Kirby's Dream Land Collection on Wii only.

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I've been waiting for balloon pop 3ds to come out since last july when they put the info in the e-shop for the 3ds cartridge supposed release date for the cartridge was suppose to be july 19th, 2011 in the NA e-shop. Never released til now today.

Better late than never! :)

Instant download! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Windy

Windy said:

@rjejr I couldn't agree with you more. The games in the Eshop are expensive. This should not be happening. Zenonia which is a decent game is .99 cents in the apple store and android market. but in the Eshop its 7.99 rediculous. im not even saying it should be .99 cents but maybe 2.99 or 3.99 at best. I'm sure this comes up here alot these days. Nintendo is getting more and more wacked. They need a kick in the seat and start doing the right thing

Scarhino89

Scarhino89 said:

Ah!! Finally, you've got the SNES version of Prince of Persia on Wii's Virtual Console dear Americans!!! :)

Windy

Windy said:

One more thing before I go today is Theatrythm. I downloaded the demo and a really good game. However 40.00 dollars for the game cart then .99 cents per addon content. OMG! I think the demo was pretty cool and game is cool. but I think 19.99 for the game cart and then .99 for addon content is more in order. How long are we going to continue to be gouged?

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Bought another E-Shop card this weekend hoping for a decent week this week. Oh well, time to download a few games off my wishlist. :)

ueI

ueI said:

Yay, Prince of Persia! I thought we would never get it.

@Windy Theatrhythm is worth way more than $20. A discounted DLC bundle would be a better idea.

MetalMario

MetalMario said:

The only "Hunter" I want to see in the future is Rhythm Hunter.

And why are there so many Nikoli games?

Windy

Windy said:

@ueI I agree either way. The cost involved with that game can really shoot up. Sooner or later youmight count it up and see that you paid 80.00 bucks for the game as they have seemed to keep DLC content coming for the game. And that is my point. Totally rediculous. The demo is excellent and im tempted as I usually dont like rythm games all that much this one is just epic. Im so tempted

NTELLIGENTMAN

NTELLIGENTMAN said:

I remember when Best Buy sold the Wii version of Prince of Persia brand new for $4.99 which came with the SNES game.

ueI

ueI said:

According to the excellent SNES Prince of Persia review on this site, the SNES version is NOT the one playable in the wii version.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Sorely tempted by Prince of Persia. I wanted to get it many moons ago, but never did. Wasn't it released by Konami back in the day, and Ubi got the rights?

MDee14

MDee14 said:

Wasn't there suppose to be sonic games coming out during that 8-bit summer promotion?

therick112

therick112 said:

Still waiting for Wario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land 2 and Picross E, all of which have already made it to Europe. Come on NoA!!!

RR529

RR529 said:

I'm personally not interested in any of the games on offer, but at least we're still getting at least 2 3DS games (not counting DSiWare), instead of the one.

As long as they release at least 2 3DS games a week (2 3DS Downloads, 2 3DS VC, or one of each), I'll be content.

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

According to Wikipedia this was the 400th wii virtual console game, so I was hoping a first party big name like Yoshi's Island, Mario Picross or SNES Star Fox, but PoP is ok.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Jese_1
NoA needs to get a LOT of things in order. There are so many things that are so wrong with Wii and 3DS right now...and sadly, as awesome as Wii U can be, I can very easily see some problems with the Wii U already. For example, that account system. From what I know so far, it seems the "account system" is more like just separate profiles that are TIED TO THE WII U. Basically like having multiple 3DS or Wii profiles on the system. So far, it doesn't seem to be linked to a real online account. If Nintendo can prove me wrong next week by announcing that accounts will actually be Nintendo Network accounts in the vein as every other online service available nowadays instead of being merely separate on-system profiles, AND have them connected to Club Nintendo, then I'll start doubting Nintendo's methods a tiny bit less. They've always done so well before online got so important to modern gaming...now that they're going into online more it seems like Nintendo is in disarray on what they should be doing...at least mostly in America. Japan seems to be doing much better than America.

Nestalgic

Nestalgic said:

They need to bring back the sales. $8 for a download I will play 5 hours max is just too much for me.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

For anyone wondering about Prince Of Persia, the version included as an unlockable bonus with Forgotten Sands on Wii is NOT the SNES version, despite what it says on the packaging...it's just the bare bones original game. I played through Wii Forgotten Sands and unlocked it earlier this year. The SNES version is actually an enhanced port of the original game with additional levels and much better graphics/music/sound FX and controls. The only way to play SNES PoP (which is probably the best version of PoP, by the way :) ) is to buy an original SNES cart or download it off the Wii Virtual Console.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

$8 for a download I will play 5 hours max is just too much for me.

Thats pretty decent really.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

@-Max-
There sure wasn't much fanfare, then. In the past, Nintendo has publicized the milestone and released something major! I'm wondering if that 400 total is including games that have been removed from the Wii Shop due to licensing issues (I think there were some Irem games, TMNT, etc.). If that's the case, we'd still be a few short, and a mega release could still be forthcoming!

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

WHAT THE HECK?

After last week's good selection, why are we back to bad again? Still no gamegear sonics or any GB games, and bad 3DSware again (Balloon pop seems decent though.) Where the heck are those sonic games we were promised 2 months ago?

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Its amazing that people complain that we got SNES Prince of Persia instead of two crappy Game Gear Sonic games...

UgliestSoup

UgliestSoup said:

Looks like NOA reached into my turd infested toilet yet again and put this garbage on the eshop.

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Meh. Balloon Pop Remix looks nice ( but it's coming from UFO, not getting my hopes up. UFO is making another Game & Watch style game on DSiWare game called Retro Pocket ( UFO, don't reuse ideas from games that are already bad).

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

huzzah nikoli brought one of my favorite of their puzzles to the eshop!
not huzzah that they upped the price $3 for LITERALLY the same amount of content...
...derp

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Blaaaahhhh... 8 dollars for a balloon popping game (from UFO!?) You've got to be kidding me.. There are free ones on the App Store for my iPad that are way cooler too.

Birdman

Birdman said:

I'll wait for the review on Crazy Hunter; that's the only one that has my attention this week.

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

@grumblegrumble I have yet to own any Android or Apple devices, so I am a bit naive on the subject. Are the free versions shareware, or full releases? If it is the latter, what is the business model that they are using? Is it just someone releasing something for free out of "the goodness of their heart"? Please enlighten me.

Windy

Windy said:

@DrKarl Im answerring your question for grumblegrumble. yes there is alot of freeware in the apple/android market. mostly it is a shareware type of model where you buy say an RPG. if that game supports commercial ads to remove the ads you can purchase that for usually a very minimal fee. In the android market especially there are alot of games which run ads in them and a game will cost say .99 cents to 4.99 to remove the ads. I guess the business model would be advertising from paying businesses and then whatever they get from the software sales to remove business ads. I wouldnot like it if nintendo went this route and doubt they would even consider it. but right now Android and Apple both have some very good gaming choices with or without ads. I think most of us want to see our 3ds and possibly Wii-U thrive. But The Eshop is really struggling to prove its a better choice then other gaming markets. I wish I could go down to Nintendo of America Right nowand kickem right where it hurts. They just seem to be holding off games to the bitter end. Dragon Quest X online would be a Wii-U seller if they would get that out at its release. but they wont do that. Also Monster Hunter would sell more systems but they will hold out on that well after the japanese release date. Xenoblade is a perfect example of Nintendo holding out. Best RPG of all Time! Frustrating just frustrating

Windy

Windy said:

@0LD_SK0OL_PUNK too funny I deleted Nintendo Video a few weeks back. Just a lame program. although I did like a couple videos that were sent

DrKarl

DrKarl said:

@Windy

Thank you so much. I hadn't considered the ad supported route. That is not my style at all (DVR everything I watch on TV for this very reason), but makes perfect sense.

As a programmer by profession I know that the truly great games/programs that really stand the test of time show an acute attention to detail, and have coat after coat after COAT of polish. That is what I have always treasured about console gaming: The great games are really something special. I feel saddened by current trends. I get a nasty feeling in my stomach that we are all heading for another crash. It just feels to me to be a race to the bottom. Plenty of cheap and 'good enough' titles, but far from enough polish or attention to detail.

Regarding the Nintendo Video topic: Dinosaur Office and Son of a Pitch are two series that have struck a chord with me. Also, I have always dug the quirky artsy things that come along every two months or so. The music videos are OK. I find myself watching them once, and then soon forget about them.

For me, the title is perfect for those times in life where I find myself waiting for a brief, yet indefinite period of time. The quasi-five minute wait for my girlfriend to leave work and get to the car, or that uncertain window of time while waiting at the doctor's office to be called.

Edlicious

Edlicious said:

Am I the only one getting sick of these stupid puzzle games on the 3DS? The DS suffered from the same thing and it's just annoying, give me some fun games not some brain busters? I go to school for that. Anywho, nintendo of america needs to step their game up, like sure you had a goodish week last week but make it consistent? One good week then 10 bad ones is pretty dumb, spam us with awesome games, it's not like the VC is hard to do? Port NES and SNES and even some GBA games and the eshop will be flooded with money.

Windy

Windy said:

@DrKarl wow Karl I feel the same way you do about a videogame crash because of certain trends lately. Ive been gaming since 1978 when I got an atari 2600. I tried my hand at programming but my patience ran out lol and yes im one old dude lol

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

I've been tempted to give Prince of Persia a try ever since I saw Arino try to beat it on Game Center CX. Maybe I'll make it my next download, once I have time for it.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

Hey c'mon guys, at least we know Fluidity Spin Cycle is coming, eventually!
(finds out that it's cancelled) okay, we're in for a crash.

Wilford111

Wilford111 said:

...and just to clarify, Fluidity is not cancelled, that was a joke.
Although I wouldn't be too surprised if it did end up cancelled, the way things are going so far!!

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

When will we stop getting all this crap on the eShop and start getting weekly discounts again. Also I am still waiting for those 2 Sonic games that should have come out during the 8 Bit Summer campaign!

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

sigh idk for me all the updates they have never interest me =/ what about some free stuff at least one in a while(im asking for to much huh?) xD

allav866

allav866 said:

Sooo... Nintendo releases a bunch of VC games on 3DS for a month, then totally ignores the VC section for a whole month? That's a bunch of crap. Give us Kirby's Dream Land 2. I already have the other games on the 25th Anniversary Collection on my Wii and 3DS, I just need one more!

Lord-Ghirahim

Lord-Ghirahim said:

Actually @FluttershyGuy & @Max
I was wondering that same exact thing about today's week & lame VC update! Prince of Persia would have counted as the #400 game... but if you look down the list of NA VC games on Wikipedia; I actually counted 10 that were marked through as being removed from the Wii Shop due to liscening issues! So if my math adds up; there are actually #390 games! I think if NOA continued with the Wii Shop during the first months of the Wii U & into 2013... we'd still have a ways to go to get to #400 again!

Windy

Windy said:

ok no more whining from me. lol My wife went to have her hair done today then came home and gave me a bag with a 3DSXL in it. Now first off....How cool is my wife? second.....The XL is just too cool! Im so excited now! time to play till the fingers bleed. at least I have a ton of DS titles and don't really have to worry about the Eshop :)

Mattiator

Mattiator said:

I stopped giving a crap about the eShop when I realized my local store still stocks a ton of old DS titles. Playing through MechAssault: Phantom War, Radiant Historia (FANTASTIC game, that), and SMT: Devil Survivor.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Still waiting for the GBA Ambassador games to be purchasable on the eShop...

I also want Oracle of Ages/Seasons.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Nada for me. Waiting on my next Gamefly game, Nostalgia or Radiant Historia.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Tasuki Uh, yeah. Watch the 8-bit summer trailer and see when those games were slated to come out. July. That never came. I kinda understood a slight delay at first maybe due to an over of VC, but 2 months is ridiculous. I'm not the only one unhappy about the lack of those two games either.