Nintendo Download: 26th July 2012 (North America)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Planet crashing, Wario, moles and more

This week we have all three Nintendo consoles catered for, including a long awaited platformer on the 3DS Virtual Console, the latest from Renegade Kid and much more. Let's get right to it.

3DS Virtual Console

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy, Nintendo, $3.99) — This has no doubt been on a number of North American wish lists since it landed in Europe, giving Wario a starring role on Game Boy in one of the system's most creative and accomplished platformers. If you want to read all about it, check out our Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 review.

Mole Mania (Game Boy, Nintendo, $2.99) — This puzzle title — produced by Shigeru Miyamoto — unsurprising involves plenty of tunnelling, while above-ground you strategically blast black balls to create these tunnels. We expect cutesy puzzler fun over its 175 challenges, but we'll see whether it delivers in our upcoming review.

eShop

Planet Crashers (Renegade Kid, $9.99) — Originally planned as a full retail release, this adventure RPG from Renegade Kid promises to include a large universe to explore, plenty of dungeons and customisable characters. As one of the eShop's pricier downloads, we'll be sure to let you know whether we think it's worth the investment soon.

Dot Runner: Complete Edition (INTENSE CO., Ltd, $4.99) — This title makes it across from Japan where it was called Dot Eater New Picdun. It looks like a frantic chase to grab as many orbs as possible within a time limit, with the touch screen providing a top-down perspective and the top screen using the stereoscopic 3D for a first-person view. We'll let you know whether it's worth a punt in our review.

Game of the Weekend

Colors! 3D (Reduced to $3.99 from 9am PT on 27th July to 9pm PT on 29th July) — This powerful painting app provides the tools to produce art in glorious 3D, with the option to share with others through the online gallery. We awarded it a prized 9/10 in our Colors! 3D review, and some of our staff will be sharing their creations in a feature this weekend.

DSiWare

Decathlon 2012 (Cinemax, 500pts) — With the Olympics about to kick off in London, this title promises to bring the tough decathlon competition — consisting of ten events — to DSi with inevitable stylus controls. It may tap into nostalgia for athletics games of the past, but we'll see whether it's worthy of a medal later this week.

Wii Virtual Console

World Heroes Perfect (D4 Enterprise, 900pts) — It's a Neo Geo fighting game, and we all know that there's plenty of those on the Wii Virtual Console. This one is the fourth instalment in the series, and features 16 characters from 'across history' ready to beat the ever-living snot out of each other. We'll get brawling and tell you what we think in our review.

Also, don't forget that Super Mario Bros. is reduced to $3.99 until 1st August on the 3DS eShop, as part of a month of Mario discounts.

So, what will you be downloading this week? Let us know in our Facebook poll.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

Finally!
Kid Icarus last week (which I think would have been enjoying much more if it would have came out back before Uprising came out) and Wario Land this week. Two good VC games in 2 weeks!

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Wow, what a week. The eShop really has made the summer something great. So good to see it really jumping into gear. Week after week they've absolutely delivered, and on multiple fronts. It's a nice time to own a 3DS.

P.S. I'd forgotten just how much better KI:oMaM was than the original. Such a thoroughly enjoyable game from the start. I've never played Wario Land before (I know, right?), so this should be an awesome new adventure. Can't wait.

StephenYap3

StephenYap3 said:

I'm guaranteed passing up Wario Land. I do like Wario, but this is one game I played and did not like.

Colors! 3D, however, I will get. Me want!

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Definitely getting Mole Mania... and possibly Wario Land. I was considering Planet Crashers but a reviewer already gave it a 1 star rating in the e-shop, so I'll likely not be taking the plunge on that one.

Also might pick up Tumble Pop.

sinsalaca

sinsalaca said:

Warioland and Planet Crahsers for me. First I just need to find the money to buy them.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

So whats the surpise? you guys said there would be one tomorrow (today) and it wouldn't be a game.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Darn, I bought Colors 3D just the other day before this sale. I would've had even more cash to spend. At least I still have enough to get Wario Land and Mole Mania.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Wow...best download for NA this year so far? On the 3DS VC front at least. (Planet Crashers > Lol)

Vann

Vann said:

I thought they were stopping game of the week because of "The month of mario" Glad to see I was wrong, and even happier to see Colors 3D! on sale!! I've Been wanting to get it since launch but wasn't that motivated (mostly because im not that good painting, probably art academy would be better for me)
I will be getting warioland, colors 3D! and maybe planet crashers, depending on reviews

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Does anyone know when we're getting more 3-D-ized classic ports? I have to say that I'm not as into the 8-bit throwbacks so much as the 16 bit (I loves me sum 16-bit!). But I actually liked the 8-bit 3D games a lot more thanI thought

AcesHigh

AcesHigh said:

Rawk_Hawk, you owe me a beer for the "loves me sum..." jynx!

Actually.. I think I owe you one! LOL!

PunkNS

PunkNS said:

World Heroes Perfect ! HELL YEAH !!
There's a hope for Last Blade 2 on NA VC

WII VC Still Lives -

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Wario land and random game is finally here! Going to get them, as they seem better than Poop Crashers anyway. (Looks dumb and weird, will wait for a review)

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Look like a lot of good 3DS stuff here. Definitely will have to pick up at least one thing at some point.

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

Gotta get me Wario land, Planet Crashers and possibly Colors 3D. Also When is that ATV game from renegade kid supposed to come out on eshop. It'll be cool if it came with online multiplayer or download play.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Meh. Already played wario land on the original game boy, have colors 3d, smb on wiiware. Probably only person who doesn't care for this week! :O

edcomics

edcomics said:

Another piece of software I bought at full price goes on sale. I'm starting to feel like a sucker.

corvus

corvus said:

Finally Wario Land..... now if only N would bring back VB Wario Land in some form... either as a VC but I would rather N redo it entirely as a eShop remake in full color and use the Wario Land Shake/The Shake Dimension/Shake It! graphics instead of the black and red VB sprites

Punny

Punny said:

I've been tempted to download Colors! 3D for quite some time now, but now that there's a sale, I don't really have an excuse anymore. This, along with Mole Mania and Wario Land add up to an amazing week of downloads! :)

SteveW

SteveW said:

Kind of disappointing that Nintendo is only giving $1 off on the Mario games, on other systems (ipad for example) large developers are often marking down $10 games to 99 cents.

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

Man, I wish I hadn't spent my money already. I'm really disappointed I can't get Colors! 3D on sale.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@SteveW And that kind of insane pricing is what drives down the value of good games, so that everyone expects to pay a dollar or two. It's why people scoff at an eShop game that's priced at 7.99 and says, "That's so expensive!" When in reality, that's two Starbucks mochachinos. I'm glad Nintendo is doing sales, but I'm more glad they're being very careful about not jumping into this crazy "race to the bottom" that makes the App Store such a glut of free-to-play games with microtransactions instead of, you know, real full-featured games worth your money.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wooooot Greed is good going to download Warioland asap. Been wanting to play that game for awhile now since I never got the chance when it first came out.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

This is perfect. Games for all services.

Why they skip World Heroes 2 and 2 Jet?

iphys

iphys said:

Wow, it's been night and day between the updates before the summer and what we've been getting the past few weeks. I'm considering Colors 3D, although I don't have much artistic ability.

SageofShadow

SageofShadow said:

Wario Land is a definite must buy! As for Planet Crashers... I best wait for reviews of it before making a $10 investment. I do love Renegade Kid, but $10 is quite a lot for an eShop game. I love RPGs but I am going to wait to hear more about this one.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Colors 3D is a fantastic deal! I hope everyone who doesn't have it yet is taking advantage of it.
Planet Crashers interests me, but I'm going to have to wait for a review to spend that much right now, especially knowing Denpa Ningen is coming in the future. Is it multiplayer? Is it active or turn-based combat? It seems like the sort of game that should be a full cart with streetpass etc.
It also makes me think it'd be cool if Costume Quest (Xbox) was a DS game.

I'm glad I havn't blown all my points on Theatrhythm songs yet :3

RR529

RR529 said:

I'll get Wario Land for sure. Maybe Mole Mania as well, but I'll have to wait for a review. Planet Crashers is a WRPG, so that's a no go for me (never met a WRPG I liked). Dot Runner seems more Pac-Man than first person RPG (which is what I thought it was), so I'll probably just stick with Pac-Man. Already have Colors! 3D, and SMB.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Hahahaha...oh, what a glorious d/l set this week. Something for almost every platform. 2 3DS VC titles that I probably will end up owning, a Wii VC, a sale on an app I've been tempted to d/l, & even a sale on SMB(although, it's just $! off, it's still a price cut!). I'll probably get SML3:WL, & Colors3D, &/or SMB, just b/c it's on sale! :) I might break my no-games-I've-owned-in-the-past-or-still-own rule for SMB, since it's dropped by a dollar. Awesome week! Glad I (habitually) space out my eShop money for purchases down the line! This week was pleasant surprises, although I obviously knew about SML3:WL, & MM. :)

Edit: Also, congrats NLife on the returning shelf! :)

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

was gonna get wario and planet crashers but didn't had enough for both so I got planet crashers,it got one song(which gets annoying)the quests are silly,and you get to beat people with a banana

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Yes, now people can shut up about Wario Land. And I'm totally getting Colors! 3D this weekend.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Wow this is amazing! I can't believe Colors! is on sale. Definitely need to get that! Oh man, I hope I won't have to get 2 eShop cards just for this one update! D:

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

Excellent, been waiting patiently for Wario Land. I never owned any of the Mario or Wario Land games except Wario Land 3 back in the day. Never had a GameBoy until the Color came out so I missed out on every original GB title. But I'm making up for that now thanks to the VC. Now if only Nintendo would consider releasing Virtual Boy Wario Land, I'd be a very happy man. I've been suggesting it in every VC related survey I do on Club Nintendo at the very least.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yes, now people can shut up about Wario Land.

Next they won't shut up about Shantae. Again.

rayword45

rayword45 said:

I wanna see the reviews for both eShop games before I say anything.

I have the visual art skills of a turtle, so this sale is a no for me.

I hope DRW/Either Pinball Game/Ketzal's Corridors go on sale.

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

Mole Mania is wonderful. I bought it this morning and am having a great time! I hope a lot of people buy this one.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Great week... nothing I'm interested in or haven't played, but a good week I'd say.

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

@Flowerlark, I can't believe Planet Crashers has already earned itself a 1 star rating. That's not very ensuring. I was very interested in Planet Crashers, but now I'm not as confident that Renegade Kid has lived up to it's name this time. Wario Land is a must, and Mole Mania seems like a quality Gameboy classic. I was really hoping Link's Awakening DX was going to be the Game of the Week.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Wario Land is great, next up Kirby Dream Land 2 or maybe some other big game for GBC, but some time they will have to put GBA on and I want Stafy as an import GBA someday...

Firejonie

Firejonie said:

Already have Mario and Colors. I want to get Wario and Mole Mania in the future though.

Royspaceghost

Royspaceghost said:

Would be the perfect time to download that Colors 3D app, I can see myself really sucked in for hours.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Lots of good stuff this week. I will definitely be picking up Wario Land, Mole Mania and Colors 3D. I will probably be getting Dot Runner as well. Oh and I almost forgot about World Heroes Perfect. I never played it before but I am anxious to give it a go.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Is it just me, or is this perhaps the best week the eshop has ever had? Wario Land (Finally), a gem by Miyamoto, an RPG by Renegade Kid, a sequel to PicDun, Super Mario Bros 20% off, and the high scoring Colors 3D for almost half off! The only thing that could have made this better would have been a demo for one of Nintendo's upcoming games.

FyreeTSG

FyreeTSG said:

can we just drop the crappy VC for Wii--nothing GOOD comes out anymore for it, and it's gone down hill pretty much for the past 2-3 years...
nothing's WORTH releasing on Wii VC that we haven't got, and should have got by now...
NES Tetris, DK64, SMW2, GOOD 3rd party titles--and a LOT of N64 games we'll never see....