E3 2012: F-Zero is Coming to Wii U

Posted by Mike Mason

...As part of Nintendo Land

Nintendo has heard all the pleas for a new F-Zero game and finally done something about it. Well, sort of. It's going to be one of the attractions in Nintendo Land.

It was announced at last night's developer discussion that the futuristic racer will make an appearance as one of the 12 mini games in Nintendo's virtual theme park. Your Mii can zoom around the winding tracks that the series is famous for in one of the classic vehicles.

It involves the GamePad's screen in some way, but Nintendo isn't showing how just yet. Maybe an F-Zero control panel at your finger tips?

Hopefully this is a precursor to a fuller F-Zero game down the road.

What do you think of F-Zero's inclusion in Nintendo Land?

[via live.theverge.com]

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

A clcokwork Blue Falcon, eh? A big tease indeed, made me smile, I like it. ^_^

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I want a 3D action Captain Falcon game where he would be out of his F-Zero machine and travelling to different planets (from the F-Zero games) meeting different allies and enemies (from the F-Zero games).

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

This was cruel, Mike. :o
I hope Ninty makes great use of as many overlooked franchises as possible in Nintendo Land. If people like a certain minigame they'll hopefully shout out in the Miiverse and with that let the big N see they're interested in seeing more of it. This could be the most fun feedback has ever been.

siconlol

siconlol said:

Trololololol ppls reactions are hilarious XD but hopefully this is just a lil baby step for a real f zero game :3

TwilightPoint

TwilightPoint said:

I think all Mini games in NintendoLand are hints to what games are coming.
So fingers crossed for F-Zero and Legend of Zelda. :)

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

F-Zero! wooohooo woohoo wooo...wh...WHAT? Nintendoland!
DAMN YOU!
This headline is EVIL! Evil I tell you! LIES!
*sells entire Nintendo collection

yobokkie

yobokkie said:

Lol, people are actually worried they will forget about zelda? Seriously?

As for the other forgotten ninty IPs remember that it was 20 years before Kid Icarus had a new entry, but they actually listened to fans and made the game. The fact they've made a new pikmin also bodes well for other series that have been abandoned. F-Zero would be nice, but in terms of the longest abandoned series, Earthbound/ Mother is the most overdue for a new Worldwide entry.

TimboBaggins

TimboBaggins said:

meh, I'd rather have the real thing. But better than nothing. I feel like this whole nintendo land thing is a stop gap to tide fans over because they can't produce a new metroid, mario, zelda, f-zero, and luigi game all in one year just because fans demand it. Some of these games take several years to develop. So maybe they are throwing us a bone while they work on long term projects.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

No that's not good enough. If you going to release an HD system then really Wow! people with a new F-Zero

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

My guess: I don't see a HUD in the big screen. Thats what on your gamepad. Time, speed, map etc...

Its funny how the icon looked like an Arwing but then it was "ah its a F-Zero car".

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Quit playing mind games with us! It makes people even more upset and disappointed.

I hope there's a Kid Icarus attraction and a Kirby one.

edhe

edhe said:

F-Zero Ticket Warden

You are a Ticket Warden in F-Zero city, tasked with issuing parking tickets to F-Zero machines that are incorrectly parked.

The Wii Tablet represents the expensive iPad device the council worker is inexplicably given in order to do his job.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@edhe I would play that game.
And as cruel as that headline was, I do think the clockwork aesthetic is neat. I'm still torn on the whole NintendoLand thing. But it cracks me up that people keep expecting them to turn around and go hardcore on us, and they continually give us the kind of whimsy and light-hearted fun they've always focused on. The difference in tone/attitude between Nintendo and Sony/MS is so large it's hilarious.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

Looks like another fun addition. Trying to get off the 'negative about everything that comes out' train. This looks like it can really be a fun game with other people.

shake_zula

shake_zula said:

This article isn't funny, I saw the headline on Twitter and was actually moaning in ecstasy until the link loaded. I love your writing, Mike, but you've crossed a line here.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I'm actually quite looking forward to NintendoLand now!

Luigi, Zelda, Donkey Kong...now F-Zero. The game is like an oxymoronic 'hardcore casual' title!

Expa0

Expa0 said:

Oh you little Nintendolife staff troll person you! You had me for a second. Still wouldn't be enough to make the Wii U worth getting though.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Dammit, why can't Nintendo just leave the Mii alone and give us a true F-Zero racer. Nobody likes these craps even if they are based on the real games. If I want to play a collection of mini-games, I already got Wii Sports and Wario Ware for that.

shimage

shimage said:

I still don't understand why they haven't made a F-Zero for the 3DS yet ...

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I'm crying.

At least F-Zero is being recognized... But still... I've been waiting 9 years for a new F-Zero....

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

My heart skipped a beat & was broken all in the same moment. Both the best (if it was real) & worst (because it's not real) headline ever.

Saying that though the footage of NintendoLand F-Zero does look fun.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Nice to see F-Zero as a mingame in Nintendo Land at least. Didn't expect a full release from it as a launch game, it's a very small nintendo franchise :P

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

OK......this is not what i expected. not at all. but it's not what i wanted. NOT AT ALL! WTF? YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDING! LETS SEE HOW THIS TRAIN WRECK TURNS OUT! IF I GET THIS GAME, AND NOT ENJOY THIS MINIGAME, I SHALL RAGE!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

LMAO! I'm just going to look at this as a "feel out" tech game of F-Zero just to see the interest level. Well, I'll bite Nintendo, I WILL be playing it, cause I love F-Zero that much, but I better get my full sized F-Zero once I'm done proving my devotion to you :)

Chuie

Chuie said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! F--ZERO IS SO SO SO SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EPICC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Yeah, I think NintendoLand is meant to be something to draw gamers into casual land and casuals into deeper game land. This really has to be the pack-in for that to work, though, I think.

The problem is it will NOT draw in the same crowd and numbers that bought a Wii for Wii Sports and never touched it again. Maybe there was no chance to bring them back... or maybe the combination of Wii Fit U, SiNG, and Just Dance 4 is the new Wii Sports. Hmm...

EddieEddieEddie

EddieEddieEddie said:

Totally not appropriate. We haven't had an F-Zero title for the past 8 years, and they come up with this? they should really make another solid title, or else...

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I just think that they are testing the waters. If this is popular enough, they will then finance a full F-Zero title for the Wii U

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Too bad I don't care about this Nintendoland nonsense. Nintendo needs to just make a real F-Zero. I'm going to hold out hope for one because even Metroid took a long hiatus after Super Metroid, but damn this is getting annoying now and this kind of tease isn't exactly going to endear Nintendo the 'core' gamers they say they're trying to win back.

tanookisuit

tanookisuit said:

Ehh better than nothing. It probably will be fun, and something I think they're using as a test. If people put enough hours on it they'll ok making another as it was mothballed for an entire generation of hardware both console and handheld.

HaNks

HaNks said:

i watched the video of this...f-zero was SLOW! lol, this f-zero showing is indeed a tease/slap in the face, however you want to look at it :D