Europe, Your 3DS System Update Arrives 25th April

Posted by Mike Mason

Update: North American update on the same day

You know that fancy 3DS system update that was announced earlier in Japan? Europeans can now look forward to grabbing it on the same day, 25th April.

The update will come as a relief to those who have cluttered up their Home screens with the Ambassador games, demos and 3D trailers. You'll be able to give the interface a timely spring clean with the new ability to sort out your icons into neat little labelled folders.

Patches can now also be made available to correct glitches or faults in retail titles. As announced in Japan, Mario Kart 7 will be among the first to get an update, removing unfair shortcuts in online play. The fix will be required to connect online, so you can't ignore it and sneak back onto Maka Wuhu. At least, we hope that one's been sorted out.

It's been confirmed that the North American update is also on 25th April, so we can all rejoice together as we organise those messy icons.

[via twitter.com]

DeMoN-13ruce

DeMoN-13ruce said:

meh that my wii mario kart got broken so much fun with friends D: hope the wii u one wil be cool too soi can play with my friends again:)

nole001

nole001 said:

Anyone else notice the nintendo zone icon from the european version of nintendo direct and in that screen shot?

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@nole001 Yep, but it's not a big shock for me as I already have Nintendo Zone.
I just can't use it as there are no zones in the UKat the moment...
Good job I have two routers ;)

pikku

pikku said:

I pity the chap in that picture who bought 3D Classics Urban Champion lolol

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Too bad there isnt more customisation for the folders. Only one letter allowed for each display. More colours could've been nice too. :3
Also - they only allow for one letter in the folder titles...
DSiWare...
Demos...
Download Software...
Who gets the 'D'?! It's these hard life decisions that make you go insane. :D

Jamix012

Jamix012 said:

I know it's not announced for this patch but I really hope there's a casual "Btw, you can now play DSiWare off your SD card" slipped in with this patch.

Polaris

Polaris said:

An update for my birthday?
Just wish I had a 3DS. Wait, maybe I'll get one! Naw I won't get my hopes up.

Polaris

Polaris said:

An update for my birthday?
Just wish I had a 3DS. Wait, maybe I'll get one! Naw I won't get my hopes up.

Polaris

Polaris said:

An update for my birthday?
Just wish I had a 3DS. Wait, maybe I'll get one! Naw I won't get my hopes up.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Bwahaha, patching the shortcuts at last. I hope to have a hearty laugh the first time I watch some idiot drive off the edge who hasn't heard the good news.

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Sounds like a good update. I didn´t really mind the Wuhu Mountain Loop clitch since it made the track shorter, and shorter track usually means less Blue Shells and Lightning Bolts.

blackjim

blackjim said:

Yay! I've wanted folders on my 3DS ever since I got it. The MK7 fix is awesome, too.

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@warioswoods That would be great to watch! :D
Step 1: race starts
Step 2: everyone races on the course normally
Step 3: that one guy does the glitch, but it fails
Step 4: you see the player disconnect

Captain_Hookey

Captain_Hookey said:

how many folders can you have on your menu alltogether? will folders take up blocks on the system memory or the SD card? will folders take up blocks at all? can you put folders within folders?

Ren

Ren said:

nice.
I wonder how many blocks I could save deleting Nintendo Zone; Totally Useless. doesn't even connect in the places where they have it.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Can't wait for Wednesday! It'll solve my scrolling issue.

However, about the MK7 patch. Didn't Shibata say that it'll be available in May? Unless I heard it wrong... the volume on the video in eShop was pretty crappy.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm definitely going to play MK7 that day and pick Maka Wuhu. If EVERYONE tries to perform the glitch, I'm going to have the biggest smile on my face.

Someone needs to record it!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Awesome news. It is true that the display gets cluttered with so many icons. I know you can make them smaller but I prefer that they are easy to see.

The best news is actually the patching ability. I never play MK7 online as I get disconnected an awful lot, but still nice to see they can fix glitches and unfair advantages.

crazyj2312

crazyj2312 said:

I can finally put away the most useless icons. It's not deleting them but hey at least they'll be gone from sight.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

Out of sight, out of mind!! ^^

I too will boot up MK7 on the 25th. The Maka Wuhu shortcut is one of the main reasons I couldn't be bothered with it anymore.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Fantastic! Now I don't have to hurt my head trying to figure out how to set up my home screen when I buy something new. Plus, those glitches in MK7 can be fixed! Maka Whuhu may be fun again! Great time to be a 3DS owner. :)

JLSniper

JLSniper said:

i wish the folders were better looking.... they look odd with the other apps and games...

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

That is a neat feature. It will mean I can keep the Gameboy and Game Gear games separate. Wish the Wii had that feature.

wariowarewolf

wariowarewolf said:

Kid Icarus: Uprising should get another puzzle panel.

Those things made the game SOOOOOOOOOO much longer!!!

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

I'm very pleased with this, but am I the only one who likes to have a huge and crowded home screen? There's just something about seeing all the icons... :P

JustAnotherUser

JustAnotherUser said:

@EvisceratorX I like it as well. Just being able to scroll though my 2 column home screen is entertainment at some points.
I just want to see what options the folders have.

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

Will this be avalible in North America too? This is such a great idea. Now I can keep Demos in their own folder, Virtual consoles in theirs, etc, it's just so cool.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I think I'll only use it to lob my DSiWare games in. The 3DSWare and GBA/NES/GG icons look far more appealing to me.

I'm just hoping that we can run DSiWare games off the SD Card at some point... only being able to have a handful on there at a time is really annoying.

I'm enjoying the fact that the 3DS is getting some new features. The Wii hasn't seen any significant updates in years.

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

Quick question: how can I transfer my games or other apps to my 3ds or another sd card... I'm running out of space, and I don't want to have to carry around multiple sd cards.

MrArcade

MrArcade said:

Now i can effectively sort NES games from GB games. May i also say WHAT NOW CHEATERS?! WHAT NOW?!

C-195

C-195 said:

Yes! And it's on the same day that The Avengers comes out down under!

Cotton

Cotton said:

68 icons i need this even deleted some and still have that many i will arange by category ex 3d classics dsiwqre demos videos applicwtions and predownloaded software + 3dsware then virtual console games depending on the origional console

Gilius

Gilius said:

I really hate when about five people chose Maka Wuhu and do it for the shortcut. It bugs me so much.
((I also do it too online so the other racers cheating won't have it easy.))

Myx

Myx said:

finally.. i can make the decision: will i put all the ambassador-crap into a folder and never touch it again or will i just delete the hole pile and never think of it ever again.. tough decision to make. but thanks, nintendo.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

The camera channel needs this update too. I hate search a pic by date.

The Wii needs more urgently an update like this but we know that won´t happen.

KromCompany

KromCompany said:

I get to go be free of school to go on a field trip to a School Newspaper conference(competition) and get a super update on the 3ds!!!! WEDNESDAY IS GONNA BE THE BEST DAY IN MANY THIS MONTH!

bezerker99

bezerker99 said:

I wish they could update it so I don't have those vertical lines of dirt on my top 3DS screen. It's soooooooooo annoying to look at. D:

dynamikas

dynamikas said:

and what about nintendo network? fixed battery life? will they add these features?

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

Confirmed you can not put a folder inside a folder.
(called nintendo repairs and help desk service center)

I have 46 DSiware titles (yes some are pants but some are ace)
So I like the folder option but my problem is this:

DSiware saves to internal memory. Mine is FULL because of dsiware and I dont even have half of them on my home screen (rest on SD card)

So basically I have too many titles to use so folders would be helpful, except I cant use the folders for the dsiware because my games wont fit on system memory.

So I am in the exact same situation, folders or not.

lanabanana

lanabanana said:

I'm gonna make a folder called "Useless Apps" and put Nintendo Zone and Nintendo Video there :D . Also , I can't wait to see people attempting to do the Maka Wuhu glitch and then fail afterwards... :D

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I cannot wait until tomorrow. I will have folders for...
3D Classics
GB Games
GBC Games
3DS Ware
DSiWare
GBA Games
and Videos.

My Apps such as Pokedex3D and Swapnote will stay unfoldered.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

And as for the Wuhu glitch, I know a kid at school who uses it because "It puts me in first in online races." I can't wait to race HIM again the useless...