Jedward: The New Face Of Nintendo UK

Posted by Darren Calvert

Irish twins bag a £250,000 advertising deal

Nintendo UK has reportedly signed Irish pop duo Jedward to be the face of their upcoming Christmas advertising campaign.

The X-Factor twins will apparently be filming a series of adverts and promos next week for Nintendo Wii and DSi which will net them a cool £250,000.

A source close to them reports:

The twins are pulling in £30k every time they turn up to parties and corporate gigs. Then they have record sales, a book deal, TV shows, sponsorship deals and a pantomime.

But they don't spend any money. They live on tuna and sweetcorn and live at home when they are not in hotels.

Whatever you think about these dubious pop sensations, nobody could accuse them of being dull, as their rendition of the Ghostbusters theme nicely demonstrates:

It could be worse anyway, it could be Ant and Dec again!

[via digitalspy.co.uk]

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

I have no idea who they are, but judging by that picture they look like total douchebags.

Terra

Terra said:

F-!!!!!!!!

I think they go beyond Ant & Dec in how bad they are tbh.

OrionLee

OrionLee said:

Thing is with Jedward, I get the feeling that they might actually enjoy playing the Wii and DS, as opposed to Ant and Dec.

Chozo85

Chozo85 said:

I would suggest that Nintendo UK's marketing department has taken leave of their senses but considering they have a track record for these kind of blunders I'm really not surprised. The fact that these two are hated by a lot of the people who watch the truly awful program that they appeared on (I thankfully don't) seems to have escaped Nintendo entirely.

siavm

siavm said:

WTF was that. That was awful. And they are promoting for nintendo.

OrionLee

OrionLee said:

Whats with all the Jedward hate? I at least found them entertaining, and would not have returned to watch X Factor every week if they weren't in it
(Mental Institution, here I come!)

madgear

madgear said:

That Ghostbusters performance is terrible - Ray Parker Jnr must be spinning in his containment unit.

edhe

edhe said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The nintendo UK ads are annoying enough as it is, with all the celebrity endorsements, but to have Jedward front a campaign?

Xbox and PS3 are going to think we're a load of dribbling idiots!

Or rather Nintendo UK think's we're a load of dribbling idiots, who'll buy anything from them just because Jedward tell us to...

JGMR

JGMR said:

Hahaha, It has nothing to do with the UK, metrosexualism / emo-ism is a worldwide epidemic!!!

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

This comes ahead of the official confirmation that Jedward are to star in Super Smash Bros. 3DS.

They're the new Sandbag.

You heard it here first.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

haha oh wow that's hilariously awful. Simon approved of this performance? It was lame in every way possible and made the Ghostbusters look bad! I guess this is just another equivalent to Justin Bieber in the world.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Wait...Irish POP duo? Man, sometimes I have to wonder about those Irish people...

edhe

edhe said:

@ PSICoffee

Of course, he approved of it. He saw they could make him a lot of money.

3DS

3DS said:

NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHY WHY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hithomas

hithomas said:

"I feel a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced." - Obi-Wan Kenobi

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

WHAT!?!?!? Why are nintendo hiring these annoying, talentless freaks? Do they want the 360/ps3 fanboys to make fun of us even more than they already do?

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Much like @mariofanatic128...
It sickens me how much money and attention these talentless freaks get.

Guess Ant and Dec worse thin so they've gone for the next upandcoming duo...might as well get the Chuckle Brothers out of retirement while they're at it

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I thought Dylan and Cole Sprouse advertising Pokemon was terrible. (How in the world did I remember their names). But this just looks awful. If I saw that guy on the street I would punch him in the face.

Clawless_Glovins

Clawless_Glovins said:

Jesus Christ on a crutch Dx. A real, true respectable artist would never ever come out of X Factor or any of those other horrible televised freak... oh sorry... reality shows. I mean Nintendo UK have taken a smart option, as they are going to be making more money... but it didn't have to be Jedward? really?

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Wow, I love Ghostbusters...seeing them butcher that song made me want to run over them with my very own Ecto-1.

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

As soon as I saw their hairdos, I was like, "....Hell no."

But its in the UK, so the US is safe.
For now....

AntMac

AntMac said:

Wow, that is a baffling decision. I don't pay much attention to this sort of thing, but aren't Jedward loathed by pretty much everyone? Was the woman who was filmed putting the cat in the wheelie bin busy?

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I couldn't finish watching that because it was so dumb (And I like the Ghostbusters Theme). So, I obviously think Nintendo of the UK is mad for choosing these people to advertise for them.

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

is this the UK version of the Jonas Brothers? because that's kinda the vibe i'm picking up...

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Someone tell them to leave a little more time between the high-speed drive to the photo shoot in the convertible and the photo shoot.

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

Not surprised at all. Microsoft hired Justin Bieber to do some 360 Kinect marketing and to be at the Halo Reach opening.

Seriously,what is wrong with most teens today?
I'm not gonna degrade every teen out there but I have to be honest,most of the teens today and growing up,are pure stupid. (Don't care if you hate my opinion,I can only say from what I am seeing and I rarely see a mature smart teenager now days.)

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

Maybe that's too extreme.
I'm sorry but most people that like these superstars are more than likely just dumb and speak in a "like oh my gosh" type of theme. They're idiots.
I hate seeing it when I go out. I hate seeing it on TV. And now i'm probably gonna see it on my favorite hobby. Video-Games.
I'd like to rant on more but all in all,most teens I come across are idiots that have the grammar of an 8 year old. The world needs to be more strict on teenagers and kids because it ain't what it used to be.

Cipher

Cipher said:

@Sean007s Oh, Microsoft's got Bieber? This isn't so bad, then. Just as long as Sony gets someone equally odd, Nintendo'll be fine! :D

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

Sony usually carter into what's popular. I would not be surprised if they got either the Jonas brothers or Miley "I got help from Disney to get me where I am today" Cyrus to some marketing.
Lord have mercy on the future generation of Pokemon.

Bleh.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@Sean007s: last i knew, you were still a teenager yourself, weren't you? to be honest, I doubt any teenagers had an active hand in choosing these dudes personally to sell Nintendo products to them -- sounds like lame adults trying to be 'hip' and 'cool' to me.

Golgo

Golgo said:

who can i phone to come and retrieve every piece of nintendo i own? and incinerate it? and burn me, too, until my bones are clean of this horror...

Machu

Machu said:

I was in quite a good mood y'know, no actually, I was really happy. But now... I wish to torch the Earth. D:<

OMG!!!!!

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

THEY CANNOT SING! STOP TRYING PLEASE!

why Nintendo?

Next NOA is going to get someone like, idk, Dylan and Cole Sprouse to advertise pokemon... And say it weird...

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

it least its not just noa thats making some odd choices to try to reach out to teens nowdays with noa hiring the Sprouse bros for pokemon ads and now noe hiring theses two wtf is nintendo and love for twins at least they are better then bieber

Machu

Machu said:

Bieber sucks a55, and is waaaay better than these two goons.

OMG!!!!!

Objection

Objection said:

Wow, yet another group making WAY too much money with WAY too little talent, if any.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

At least Bieber has some talent...I think...

Edit: I think Bill Murray just died and rolled in his grave and haunted these two doofuses for the rest of their talentless lives...

MiiMiiMii

MiiMiiMii said:

Nintendo's advertsing really gets worse and worse. Really poor celebrity mock-TV shows, and those horrid 'target-market' pics of urban-go-getters having the time of their lives eagerly consuming Wii Fit.

But then the 'other' consoles just have - buy this game, its got boobs n guns n killings n more guns n blood.

Blergh.

MiiMiiMii

MiiMiiMii said:

But Jedward. Jedward. Oh lordy. Can we please all write to Ninty and say we promise to overload their coffers with cash if something tragic should happen on their first shoot?

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Kill me now. Please, just kill me now. @Lz Bieber has NO talent whatsoever. The girls just fall for him cos of his looks.
I have a friend who is a fan of Nintendo and Jedward. Lucky him.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Shoot me now, shoot me!

Where the hell were Nintendo when these two pieces of fail were on the X Factor?! These guys are worse than Ant & Dec... but whoever "hosts" the adverts, they'll always be rubbish.

Just show us some gameplay to market it, than show us a family who get together to have family fun-night (which don't exist anymore Ninty)... :|

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

@Guy above whose username I'm too lazy to type - I've been trying to get my family into gaming for years, but they're so convinced they don't like it, even though they've practically never tried it. BTW, cool avatar.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

I looked at the picture on the front and just that was enough to merit a facepalm.

Also just to show how much I pay attention, Dylan and Cole advertised Pokemon? When did that happen!?

Phobos

Phobos said:

They should get Sam and Mark of CBBC for the face of Nintendo U.K. That would be awesome. :D

MarioFoy

MarioFoy said:

First They Do a Cover of All The Small Things and Now they advertise Nintendo, What

James

James said:

We should have used the video where one of them breaks their leg.