OFLC Update: Super Mario Kart Finally Coming!

Posted by Corbie Dillard

The OFLC has recently been updated with a few new game listings, including a certain kart racing title Virtual Console fans have been clamoring for.

It seems the wait for the Super Nintendo hit Super Mario Kart is almost over. The OFLC ratings board has been updated and includes four new titles we're likely to see made available on Nintendo's download services soon.

Super Mario Kart is easily the one most fans are going to be the most excited about. This Super Nintendo release kicked off a series that has remained one of Nintendo's most popular to date. We've seen Mario Kart releases on just about every Nintendo system since the release of this original. This is one classic Nintendo title that's long overdue. Be sure and check out our retro review of Super Mario Kart if you haven't already.

Another Super Nintendo release that's coming to the Virtual Console is Pilotwings. This unique release was originally a showcase for the Super Nintendo's fancy Mode-7 visual effects and was quite impressive when it first debuted. It's another overdue release for the Virtual Console service.

Nintendo also has two new DSiWare Art Style releases on the ratings service. PiCOpiCT and SOMNIUM are both on the way to the new download service and given how interesting previous Art Style releases have been, we'll definitely be keeping our eyes on these two titles.

Rounding things off is Wii Sports Resort and a WiiWare title called PictureBook: A Pop-Up Adventure. Wii Sports Resort comes as no surprise since we've heard quite a bit of news on the Wii title recently. The real surprise will be if the game is actually released on schedule this time around.

[via classification.gov.au]

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I knew my retro review would encourage Nintendo to do the right thing and bring Super Mario Kart to VC finally :-p

C’mon Nintendo, emulating the DSP-1 chip can’t be that hard for you, can it?

It was this cheeky taunt that tipped them other the edge! lol

anthonyb

anthonyb said:

This makes me smile. But just watch it release in Europe, and somehow never show up here. ;)

Adam

Adam said:

MARIO KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAART!
Well, I've sadly given up on Earthbound, so this marks my last title I especially care about. Awesome news!

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

:P Coming soon in 2010, seeing how Nintendo's track record is with their own game releases, let alone all VC game releases.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

Now they've cracked the DSP-1, I wonder if they'll work out the Super FX chip.

Oh yus, VC desperately needs the original Star Fox and Stunt Race FX. I really hope we have turned a corner now!

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Super Mario Kart is certainly a required download, but the Pilotwings news is even greater, as I'd feared that they might just pass that one over. Thanks to the instant-save feature, there also won't be any need to keep track of codes.

Simple though it may be, I don't believe that any flight simulator for any hardware has come close to the fun of the original Pilotwings. Every one of the vehicles / modes was handled just right, and where else can you switch between a plane, rocketpack, hang-glider, skydiving/parachute, and even helicopter missions?

King_Elemento

King_Elemento said:

@ 10. Dazza:
I was thinking more along the lines of Yoshi's Island, but I can't say no to more SNES games. =P
Doom would also be nice, and we might finally see a release of Star Fox 2, but both of those are pretty unlikely.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

It's about time! And I say bring on Starfox and Yoshi's Island! SOON! :)

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

I always thought Super Mario Kart was better than MK64 for a lot of reasons and now the original is coming to the VC, this just made my day :D

@Corbie
Yes! Another person who wants to play the very 1st Star Fox-hoorah!

maka

maka said:

I'm excited about Pilotwings. Hopefully a Wii update is in the works!

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Those are ALL interesting titles mentioned.
I remember Super Mario Kart being nails, we shall see what I'm like this time around.
Pilotwings?! That'll be very interesting.
Arts Style pictopict = insta-download. Somnium is on my radar.
Wii Sports Resort already pre-ordered.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

"We've seen at least one Mario Kart release on every single Nintendo system since the release of this original."
What about GBC, VB, Pokémon Mini and E-Reader?

LinktotheFuture

LinktotheFuture said:

This is a great list. I have never played Pilotwings before, but I plan to get it. And of course Super Mario Kart is a must have.

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

@KeeperBvK
The VB wasn`t a major console that supported too many games.
Pokemon Mini is just a Pokemon accessary and the E-reader was an Animal Crossing type accessary that you could get NES games off of.

While GBC I could see why you would be complaining, though I believe that would either be very mediocre of a Mario Kart or it would be impossible.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Wait are you sure it's not just a Super Mario Kart Calculator for the DSi and Wii Ware? {sarcasm alert}

Anyway this is good news and hopefully it won't be long before we get Mario Kart and PicoPict.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

I never really liked Super Mario Kart. The courses were boring and the handling was pretty weird. I just want Majora's Mask!

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

At least we know that my favorite Mario Kart of all time will see a release date.And with this adds a 3rd VC Game to the 300th VC Game Fire for USA as well.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Don't get anal on me KeeperBvK. I don't count the VB and I just made the Game Boy line of systems one big happy family. :P

Objection

Objection said:

Hopefully cracking this code is one step closer to STAR FOX for SNES. I already have this (practically) in the form of the GBA game so I'll pass, but if STARFOX comes to VC, I'll be forced to snag it.

super-nintendo

super-nintendo said:

I never owned my own copy of Super Mario Kart (SNES) and will download the game for collection purpose alone. :)

Please announce Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) in 2009 Nintendo. I love SMW2. :)

Cheezy

Cheezy said:

If only the news of the more recent weekly Nintendo releases was as exciting as this.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

Glad to see that SMK is coming. Well overdue. I'm definitely getting Wii Sports Resort. It looks awesome.

KeeperBvK

KeeperBvK said:

@ Corbie: Don't get anal on facts. ;)
Neglecting the VB by simply saying you don't count it is...well...not what I'd expect from any kind of journalism.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

As an American, this news is exciting but doesn't mean much as Nintendo could hold onto this one for months, maybe even years. Look at Majora's Mask. My guess is NOE is poising Super Mario Kart to be the 300th release in Europe, which is still a couple months away assuming they'll only average a single game a week.

madgear

madgear said:

I LOVE the original Mario Kart! So excited - I can't wait to play it again!

jorenmartijn

jorenmartijn said:

Super Mario Kart was my first game that I played! Can't wait for it. Pilotwings is cool, too, but I prefer the 64 version if it hasn't been released yet.

Firkraag

Firkraag said:

There's no discussion about this one, 64 is great and all, but it's nowhere near Super Mario Kart. Instant download!

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Oh. I didn´t see that one coming :) I never owned those games. Now that storage is solved and all, I might actually pick up Mario Kart and Pilotwings someday. Pleasant news indeed,

Kevin

Kevin said:

Eh. I never could get into this one playing it after 64 and double dash and all. I'll probably pass or maybe I'll give it a try. We'll see how my points are doing when its released and what else may be coming out I'm more excited about.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

wake me up when there's an esrb rating. Then I'll be excited.

Besides aren't you all really excited for Picture Book: a Pop Up Adventure? ;)

Modern_Legend

Modern_Legend said:

@Token Girl Better yet, wake me up when it actually comes out, they say so many games r comin n they're still on the coming soon list lol, we'll prolly w8 forever on this too lol

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

This is the only OMG BEST NEWS so far for today!!! :D

Still, I don't see it comming anytime soon; for Zelda MM & SSB64 should come out first... wonder what's making NINTENDO TAKING SO FREAKING LONG?!! :(

So maybe after June & E309; I'm not holding my breath for anything... but a pick up pace on VC titles would be great?! Maybe Super Mario Kart, for example, will eventually come out somewhere later in 2009... maybe for the holidays?! ;)

theberrage

theberrage said:

I wont be getting Mario Kart. I would have gotten it if it had come out about a year and a half ago. I see no point in getting it anymore, there are already a bunch of Mario Kart games available. They should have released this before Mario Kart Wii

Party_On_Dude

Party_On_Dude said:

And LOL @ comment #40. WolfRamHeart... I don't think that's a nice joke BTW! More like a #350 game would be nice... but that's asking for too much from Nintendo anyway?! ;)

RurouniTeeter

RurouniTeeter said:

Super Mario Kart is great yes...
Just... The computer cheats like crazy...
The other games up to this game are way better~
Plus best reason of all... I got 2 working copies of the game for SNES. =P
Why 2? Well, we borrowed one from someone and they never came back for it.

Jolted85

Jolted85 said:

Pilotwings was esrb rated at one time when the VC first began, but then they dropped it, looks like they're gonna have to rate it again >_>

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

OLFC and ESRB have proved liers in the past. I sure hope they're right! Now where's my MegaMan X?

MegaMX4

MegaMX4 said:

@ Nintendo-Naut

Yeah! Where IS Mega Man X? :-)

And hooray for Pilotwings and SMK!

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

I wonder what took them so long. The homebrew community's been able to get DSP-1 to work ages ago, along with the Super FX chip 1&2.

Ah well, now I can go officially buy it!

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

I remember wondering why Donkey Kong had a tank top on. I didn't know there was a DK Jr. I always thought it was DK.

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

@StarFox

Donkey Kong as we know him is really Donkey Kong Jr.and you will know this if you play Donkey Kong Country on the SNES part of the VC.Also if you want proof it can be shown online and in pictures as well.Crank Kong is the first Donkey Kong.Because in Donkey Kong Country Crank explains how he had been in battle with Mario over a girl. Just ask any other Donkey Kong Fan who keeps up with every game in the series and they'll say the very same thing.

If you can't find it then i will find it later and post it for you.

Also if you play Donkey Kong 64 and here is info from Wikipedia wheither you believe it or not has this:

"The character is reintroduced in Donkey Kong Country as the grandson of the original Donkey Kong[4], who appears in the game as an elderly ape named Cranky Kong.[5] A representative of Rare stated shortly after the release of Donkey Kong 64, however, that the current Donkey Kong was meant to be an adult version of Donkey Kong Junior[6] (indeed, Cranky's reference to Donkey as his "son" in the game (and associated materials) seems to indicate this to be the case[7][8]). In the Rare revamp, Donkey Kong is portrayed as a powerful yet lazy and laid-back ape, who is interested mainly in his banana hoard. The series introduced Diddy Kong as Donkey's sidekick, and King K. Rool as his nemesis who steals the banana hoard."

So there you have it.And again wheither you believe it until you play Donkey Kong Country or Donkey Kong 64 you may or may not change your mind or believe so until you play 1 or both of those games.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

I've heard that about the current DK being the grandson of the original, who is now Cranky Kong. Who'd have though that?

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

ok so they've finally released some dsp-1 stuff. Let me just put a wish out there... perhaps they are holding back on star fox until they crack how to put it on the wii with enhanced 3D graphics! Maybe they think it's possible to improve the frame rate, add anti-aliasing etc, perhaps we'll get it as a wii ware re-release (not that i actually believe any of what i'm saying, but it would be cool!)

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

C’mon Nintendo, emulating the DSP-1 chip can’t be that hard for you, can it?
I bet that was it. ;)

I was waiting and waiting for this game to come out, as I've never been a fan of the newer titles, but Mario Kart Wii did win me over in the end. I'll still be downloading this one, of course, but I'm more looking forward to Yoshi's Island, now that it looks like they've figured out the technology.

Just... The computer cheats like crazy...
It always has and always will. Even on the newest game in the series, the CPU racers are complete bar stewards!

Nathan

Nathan said:

I loved Pilotwings, although I probably have it somewhere... around.. here.. Woo! Look out!
(OoT carpenters in the Gerudo fortress referential joke).

Super Mario Kart was (stressing on the "was") cool too, used to play it at a friend's place. I wonder how it's gonna hold up..

Don

Don said:

Now that they took care of emulation issues of Expansion Pak games for N64 and FX games for SNES, time to work on the Zapper and Super Scope VC emulation! Let's hope that they rate Duck Hunt and Yoshi's Safari next!

Terra

Terra said:

'Bout time. I've been waiting on Mario Kart one for ages, so it's good to see it finally coming. Glad to see Pilotwings get rated again as well.

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

The PAL version was mostly speed corrected so if Nintendo gets rid of the borders on this one I might sell my original and pick it up for Wii.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Cool.

I still wanna see them release the likes of Yoshi's Island and Star Fox, despite them originally using the Super FX chip, and I really don't see why they shouldn't be able to run on Wii.

Nintendo should have had this situation sorted way sooner.

Adamant

Adamant said:

@Don: You can't emulate the lightguns just like that, they'd have to reprogram the game. Either that, or release lightguns for the Wii, which would be both terribly pointless and they wouldn't work on modern TVs anyway,

i8cookie

i8cookie said:

@Don, how have they taken care of FX chip games? there still aren't any out or announced... mario kart uses a dsp chip which allows better mode 7 gfx, the fx chip is something else

City_Of_Delusion

City_Of_Delusion said:

#71: The odds of any of the above getting released next week in the US is slim to none. Except maybe Wii Sports Resort.

PAL, on the other hand...

WolfLink22

WolfLink22 said:

@StarFox

Donkey Kong is the son of Cranky Kong who is the original Donkey Kong.And so you know i knew this because of the fact that if you play Donkey Kong Jr the game you can clearly tell by looking that 1 is the son DK Jr and the other Donkey Kong who was kidnapped by Mario that DK Jr had to save him.

Also again if you play Donkey Kong Country Cranky explains his days vs Mario in the game Donkey Kong.

RallyFTW

RallyFTW said:

If I had intranet (fancy way of saying it) I would buy this and cruisin usa or mario kart 64.

XD375

XD375 said:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

About time! :D

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Pilot Wings coming to VC is Fantastic news but Super Mario Kart being rated and might be on its way to VC has made my day. About time!!!!

Betagam7

Betagam7 said:

Pilotwings has been rated before though. It was one of the first games to get rated and that was 3 years ago.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

If Super Mario Kart goes on the Japanese VC list for June then it will definitely appear on the US and European VC service but then again how long has Super Smash been available in the Land of the Rising Sun? It would be nice if either Pilot Wings or Super Mario kart comes to VC for all regions for Hanabi. Here's hoping, also I'm going to check this site every so often Thursday evening, just in case. I'm even going to save my points for this fantastic game...but then again...

Pj1

Pj1 said:

OH and if Super Mario All Stars ever gets rated I'm going to celebrate!!!!!!!

Mr_M

Mr_M said:

WAIT A MINUTE, WHAT IF SUPER MARIO KART COMING TO THE VIRTUAL CONSOLE SERVICE IS THE SURPRISE AT E3?!

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

The Super FX chip, Zapper, and Super Scope have been made workable by the homebrew community for ages now... what's taking Nintendo so long?

evilralfwiggum

evilralfwiggum said:

I have my original Super Mario Kart copy for the SNES still, and Mario Kart 64 on my Wii. No need to get it again. Hah, hmm.. but it's nice to see it's coming out at some point finally.

supbilly

supbilly said:

I am over the moon! I can finally eBay my SNES - this was the only game that was making me hang onto it. And Pilotwings as well to boot. Cannot wait for these. Fantastic news.

Kurachi

Kurachi said:

wow, i'm almost speechless, i'll get it no doubt
once i go points again, i keep em for this, this is my best mario kart ever
for me , no other racing game can beat it
yay :D

Mario_34

Mario_34 said:

It will hopfully come out by Christmas for Europe, Australia and NA by Christmas 2009 :)