Reggie Fils-Aime Accepts Ice Bucket Challenge

Posted by Tim Latshaw

His bucket is ready

The Ice Bucket Challenge, a web phenomenon that has been raising millions for ALS research, is currently washing through the games industry and Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime is not expected to back down.

The challenge is simple: film yourself getting doused by a bucket of ice water, post it to social media, and challenge your friends. The scheme was originally to raise awareness for the devastating condition known as ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig's disease), with participants able to donate to ALS research as a way to cop out of the ice bath. Most now are opting for both the bucket and charity, however.

As reported earlier, Reggie has been challenged by Phil Spencer, head of Xbox, who also called out Sony's Shuhei Yoshida and Valve's Gabe Newell. Spencer does his own polar bear impression in the video below:

The challenge has been accepted through Nintendo of America's Twitter account, with the implication that Reggie might try to kick things up a notch:

There's a larger mystery that must be addressed, though: will Reggie still be considered a victor in the Ice Bucket Challenge if the water screams in terror and explodes into steam before hitting his skin? You have to take these things into consideration.

[via twitter.com]

2Sang

2Sang said:

Aww I thought Ice Climbers were confirmed beforereading the ttle lol.

Turtleboyfitz

Turtleboyfitz said:

I think Reggie should dare Shigeru Miyamoto, Satoru Iwata, and Masahiro Sakurai to do the challenge, and the Ice Climbers to be revealed that same day.

Sonicman

Sonicman said:

Ice Climbers: They fight ALS, while fighting their way into the Smash Bros. roster!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I've got it! The icy water will change his outfit into Ice Mario clothes! Then he'll freeze somebody complaining about something! :D

Iggly

Iggly said:

@2Sang Please Understand /shot

Oh boy, can't wait to see how Reggie handles the ice cold water.

Dinosaurs

Dinosaurs said:

Reggie's jumping from the roof top into a pool of ice water in his Mario trunks right after Fils-A-Mech is done filling it up.

Nicolai

Nicolai said:

One up?! In the next few days?! Man, Nintendo really is the master of hype.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

How convenient. Reggie taking on a ramped-up Ice Bucket challenge and revealing Ice Climbers for Smash Bros. would be a perfectly timed opportunity.

EOTW

EOTW said:

@TeeJay Because this is the internet, my friend. This is the place where fads come to burn in a blaze of super nova glory before being forgotten forever.

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

I've gotta be honest. Browsing late at night with the top post being a picture of the Ice Climbers, I thought they were confirmed for Smash Bros. Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Mega719

Mega719 said:

You showed that Ice Climbers pic at this time made me think they were just announced to return in Smash Bros. Could have posted this earlier

brewsky

brewsky said:

Please wait while Reggie begs Sakurai to let him reveal Ice Climbers early. :p

Nik-Davies

Nik-Davies said:

I'm looking forward to Vladamir Putin's and Michelle Obama's. Vin Diesel nominated them.

But maybe Reggie will use the opportunity to announce the Ice Climbers for Smash. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I've been donating for every one I've seen, so impress me Reggie.

BEASTMODE

BEASTMODE said:

Good this is all for charity they need to do this kind of hype for charity more often!

Mario500

Mario500 said:

I wish he had not joined this trend. It's ridiculous, unnecessary, humiliating, and unpleasant.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I really have no clue how you one-up an ice water bucket challenge. Dye the water and ice Mario colors? Beats the heck outta me.

@SilentHunter382
Same here, nothing jumps out at me besides other Nintendo execs. Maybe thats how he'll one-up it, by getting even higher level execs involved.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

Reggie should be a Boss and take the challenge up a notch ( no pun intended) by doing it in a freezing environment. Then it would actually be a challenge. I used to do this or stuff like this all the time in hot summer days as a kid.

Inkling

Inkling said:

Reggie will fly to the North Pole and cannon ball into the below ice sea filled with polar bears

cusman

cusman said:

Generally speaking you only have 24 hours to Rise to the Challenge. Reggie is already late on that front.

Matts14

Matts14 said:

@TeeJay I believe it's been around for a little while, but it got very popular when a former college athlete accepted the challenge because it spread to many pro sports. I know that just about every big name in hockey's already done it.

yuwarite

yuwarite said:

Great, keep in mind this request was started because of Notch, the guy who slagged off the Wii U.

Prime

Prime said:

This is exactly why I love Nintendo, their playful attitude, all of their amazing franchises, and of course, Shiggy and Reggie. #Nintendoforlife

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

Knowing Reggie, he'll probably up the game by switching ice water with liquid nitrogen.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Mario500 yeah, raising awareness and millions of dollars for a terrible disease is sooooo ridiculous, unnecessary, humiliating, and unpleasant.

Mario500

Mario500 said:

@noctowl I was only referring to the way some people had brought awareness to the disease as ridiculous, unnecessary, humiliating, and unpleasant.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@tux_peng
I've seen themed ice cube trays before, wouldn't be surprised if there are Mario themed trays out there.

I just thought of something though, what if instead of a bucket of ice water, he rented a dunk-tank and fills it with ice water?

@Mario500
Thats the whole point. Doing something ridiculous like this help it stick in peoples' minds. How is this any different than a dunk-tank booth at a carnival-style fundraiser?

Also, the latter two parts of your complaint only make sense for the person doing it, and they can opt out. It just so happens people are choosing both options, so really your complaining about people doing something of their own volition.

SavoirFaire

SavoirFaire said:

I just hope they don't turn it into a crass commercial or self promotion. I'm shocked MS didn't!

SomeBitTripFan

SomeBitTripFan said:

Reggie really needs to actually do the ice bucket. Wasn't he supposed to do it within 24 hours of his nomination? This could be a disgrace for the company otherwise.