Limited Edition Steelbook Bundles Announced for Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire in the UK

Posted by Alex Olney

Steel your nerves

Nintendo have surprised us yet again by following another modern gaming trend – steel book special editions.

Both versions of the upcoming Pokémon remakes will have their own very appealing steel book version which comes with a miniature version of the Primal forms of either Kyogre or Groundon, depending on which version of the game you choose. Nintendo are no strangers to special editions of games, but this is the first instance of using this type sought-after case as an incentive to splash a little more cash.

Both versions are available in their steelbook editions as pre-orders from either GAME or Nintendo's UK Store. Be sure to check out all the images below!

What are your thoughts on this turn of events, is it something you'd be interested in over the standard edition? Let us know in the comments as usual.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I don't like steel books for any form of media but the artwork looks great. Shame it's over-priced Game that keep getting exclusive Nintendo goodies.

ChuJelly

ChuJelly said:

Wow, these look really nice! I definitely want that mini Alpha Kyogre figure, and the art on the steelbook is nice quality. Seems a tad too pricey for me for a pack that doesn't even include the game itself, but it'd still be nice if it came to the West and other countries for people that can afford it. :)

Reverandjames

Reverandjames said:

Same price ofr both editions on the UK Nintendo store...Interesting I will be willing to pay £40, no more doe...

DBailey

DBailey said:

Pleased to be a UK gamer, for once.
These are well worth the £39.99 price tag.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I love steelbooks, and will certainly be more enticed by this physical release, however If you cast your mind back, Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii got a limited edition steelbook release in NA I think! My EU version just came with a slipcase, but I'm positive the NA one had a steelbook @AlexOlney

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

@Xilef You got that limited edition of A link between worlds?
@smikey Thanks ^^ then I can preorder ine, if it does not get released in Norway :-)

Cav44

Cav44 said:

I can't explain why, but I love steelbooks. The downside is that my DS/3DS shelf looks very organised and neat, this case will stand out more than NSMB2....
What should I do? 😕

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Dang, I would love to get something like this if I could, with RSE being my particular favorites. :-l

Btw, would this image be a little better, too? @ChuJelly Pulled it from Serebii.
Untitled

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

It looks awesome and would love if it came here (Canada). But I already preordered my copies of these games and I'm getting a good deal on them.

mjhopkins81

mjhopkins81 said:

@DBailey Why "for once?" You guys get ALL the great Day One release deals, and the company websites (Bamco and Nintendo, for example) are INFINITELY better than those in the U.S.

Bandai-Namco UK has a rewards program for buying their games, has a great social media department that constantly advertises releases, and offers fantastic Day One releases.

Nintendo's has infinitely better Club Nintendo rewards, AND an online store, which NOA can't even manage to put together.

Yeah, in the past, the UK got the shaft on video game releases, but now? I'd almost rather be there.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Those looks really cool! ..Well, except the Omega Ruby figurine, that looks really bad.

I might order Alpha Sapphire though. That looks really nice.

Artwark

Artwark said:

If those already look cool, imagine how awesome the limited 3ds xl edition will look like?

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

Hopefully GAME update their game listing to include these as pre order bonuses, instead of listing it separately as a limited edition {much like Theatrhythm Curtain Call is}.

I say this because I currently have both versions ordered there for £30 each, so it would be a bargain if I was upgraded. :D

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

If only it wasn't exclusive at Game would probably get for £30 but to many games and too little money, the life of a student sigh.

Nazo_no_Hikari

Nazo_no_Hikari said:

This better come for america, because if it's UK exclusive, then I'm going to be really disappointed.

On the other hand, It does look very nice.

jjmesa16

jjmesa16 said:

Hopefully these come out in the US. I went with digital for X and I won't make that mistake again.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

I love the mini figurines, reminds me of the Lugia and Ho-oh figurines. The steelbook is a nice icing on the cake.

Shambo

Shambo said:

Please, make these available in ALL of Europe, for once. Do so, and you win again, Nintendo. You'd make me buy both versions then.

Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi said:

These look great.
Don't want to even think about how much they'd cost in Australia though...

blaze8937

blaze8937 said:

I really want this I love steelbooks and the figures look great. We might have a chance of the figures coming to america and I only say that because we got figures for heartgold and soulsilver and i think platinum but forgot if we did with any other pokemon game.

DBailey

DBailey said:

@mjhopkins81 UK Club Nintendo is horrendous. It rarely gets updated and we cannot transfer our Stars/Coins into currency for the e-Shop.

Also my biggest gripe is the cost of games in the UK and EU, Compare £39.99 to $66.30 or 50.39 Euro.

So for a 3DS game that costs that much, I am happy to get extra things every now and then.

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

@Xilef Lucky you, the only collectors edition game I ever seen with my own eyes where Bravely Deafult, for 1200kr nok! (Around 200$ us)

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Correction to the article, as this isn't the first time Nintendo has offered steelbook editions, they did so with Metroid Prime Trilogy, I know because it's sitting on my shelf.

VictoryStar06

VictoryStar06 said:

Does the steelbooks come with a copy of the game? It doesn't say they do on the nintendo uk store.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Surprised? How so? Didn't all three Operation Rainfall games get steelbooks in Europe since Nintendo published those games over there?
It'll only be a surprise if they were doing this in freaking Murica.

EDIT: "but this is the first instance of using this type sought-after case as an incentive to splash a little more cash."
No it ain't.

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Wow... So are you Europeans still going to say that you don't have it better than your American counterparts? I'm telling you, European Nintendo gamers have it so much better than Nintendo gamers in the Americas. This is just further proof. It's hard being a Nintendo fan in America. Fact.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

Everyone talking about how hard everyone else gets it, remember that Europe are getting the game a week later than the rest of the world. Okay, yes the cases and figurines are cool and I *might have pre-ordered both when I only intended to get one (couldn't decide which though), but still, we have to wait a week longer to get it. All works out right?

KTT

KTT said:

Yes, finally, a bonus for preordering. I've been waiting for thing like thi... UK?
"To purchase products from the Website, you must be 18 years or older and a resident of the United Kingdom (including Northern Ireland but excluding all offshore islands)."
Ok, never mind, move on.

DonnaxNL

DonnaxNL said:

Well, NA and Japan get the game one week earlier, so I (as European - Dutch) think this is a good way to compensate.

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

I hope those come here. Looks like the special edition is the same price as the regular copy. That's a nice little bonus! That mini kyogre could sit next to my mini Soul Silver lugia on the bookshelf. I also have a very detailed tiny entei figurine sitting there, but I can't remember where I got it...

Doge

Doge said:

if i lived in the UK TAKE MY MONEY. THE HYPE TRAIN IS ROLLIN DOWN THE TRACKS AT LIGHTNING SPEED

rdenton85

rdenton85 said:

Sweet. This reminds me a little of the Palkia and Dialga pens from 2007.

I guess I'd better adjust my preorder :D

Tobias95

Tobias95 said:

They are announced for release in Norway too :-D If they are not Game exclusive here, I will get both ^^

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

Uh, this is definitely not the first time Nintendo has used steel books. There was the Metroid Prime Trilogy and Pandora ' Tower...

Kiz3000

Kiz3000 said:

The steelbook editions have been added to the GAME website but at an astonishing £50 price point and it comes with no figure. On the flipside the figures are pre order bonuses for the normal edition of the game.

So the options for UK are:

ORAS + minifig = £34.99 at GAME
ORAS + keyring = £34.85 at ShopTo
ORAS limited edition = £39.99 at Nintendo UK store
ORAS steelbook edition = £49.99 at GAME

It looks like NSUK is the best value bundle, so far.

Beta

Beta said:

@ VictoryStar06 To be quite honest, I'm not really sure right now DX
But I don't think they would sell the Steelbox alone as they clearly stated it would be a special edition of the game itself, but I'm still not too sure as in the "Contents" part it doesn't say it has a copy of the game... Hmm, not really sure. Sorry :/