Heracross and Pinsir Distribution for Pokémon X & Y Coming to North America

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Cross-game switches, Mega Stones included

Pokémon X & Y may be heading towards its one year landmark on the 3DS, but it's still keeping plenty of gamers busy — particularly in online battles. The Pokémon Company is particularly keen to keep gamers engaged while also promoting the upcoming Pokémon Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire, which arrives in November; it's announced a distribution event for North America that will aim to achieve both those goals.

An online distribution will take place between 13th August and 17th September (US and Canada), in which two bug types will swap over from X to Y, and vice-versa — Pinsir will leave X to join those that own Y, while Heracross will make the opposite journey. Those that go to GameStop between 18th August and 17th September (US only) can also pick up a serial code to receive the Heracronite Mega Stone for Heracross or the Pinsirite Mega Stone for Pinsir; those that pre-order Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire in store while picking up their code can also receive a "pre-order bonus poster".

For those in the US that do pick up the Mega Stones at GameStop, their 'mon will have the following moves.

Pinsir and Heracross each pack a huge punch in battle and become even more powerful when they Mega Evolve! The Lv. 50 Pinsir has an Adamant Nature and knows X-Scissor, Earthquake, Stone Edge, and Return. It will have one of two Abilities: the defensive Hyper Cutter Ability or Mold Breaker. During Mega Evolution, Mega Pinsir’s Ability becomes Aerilate. The Lv. 50 Heracross has an Adamant Nature and knows Bullet Seed, Pin Missile, Close Combat, and Megahorn. Its Ability, Swarm or Guts, will change to Skill Link during Mega Evolution.

You can see the 'mon that are on the way below. Will you be joining in with this distribution?

Related Games

GuSolarFlare

GuSolarFlare said:

so the pokémon will be available through wi-fi and the mega stones on gamespot?
or the "Those that go to GameStop between 18th August and 17th September (US only) can also pick up a serial code(...)" part has a typo on the date?(just asking, because I don't live in the US and hope at least something is distibuted on mystery gift)

though I don't care about pinsirite since my cousin traded his pinsirite to me(he isn't a fan of bug types)

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

...Ugh, why Gamestop? Why can't they just have the item from the beginning. :/

LordFamicom

LordFamicom said:

I have both X and Y version so I can just get the Pokemon from Mystery Gift and not worry about going to Gamestop to get the Mega Stones since I already have both.

agumon1123

agumon1123 said:

The megastones being for US only and not Canada reminds me of how all the pokemon distrubtion events before diamond and pearl were never in Canada and you had to go to the US to get them. It's pretty unfair.

ValiantPixel

ValiantPixel said:

I guess I'll be going for the pre-order bonus poster...I was planning on pre-ordering Alpha Sapphire anyway.

Caryslan

Caryslan said:

Why in 2014 on a system that has built-in wifi, and a game that has hearty online features do we need to go to a store for this kinda thing?

Why can't these Pokemon just hold the Mega Stones when we get them?

I'm still happy I'm getting a Heracross, but come on Nintendo, why split the distribution like this?

KingMike

KingMike said:

@SkywardLink98
Don't know how a serial code works? That would mean it's a one-time-use code good only for the person who received the code (or whoever they give the code to).
I hope I can still get the poster if I already placed my AS preorder months ago.

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

So I have to get the wi-fi distribution in order to get the Pinsir... and then go to Gamestop for the Mega Stone?

ZenTurtle

ZenTurtle said:

We can access nintendo zone at home, you know? It just requires a bit of fiddling with the router... or maybe not

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

That sucks that it is US only. And if I knew this yesterday I never would have trade my copy of Pokemon X in to EB Games.

Shire

Shire said:

Pinsir doesn't get Quick Attack? But that's one of his best attacks with Aerilate!

Still, I am happy that I'll be able to snag a Pinsirite.

kamifox1

kamifox1 said:

So many people moaning about it being in Gamestop... At least you're getting it full-stop! Those of us in other countries aren't getting it at all as of yet so just suck it up and go into the store most of us don't have! You should feel privileged but no, you HAVE to complain about SOMETHING! Kids these days...

Crimzonlogic

Crimzonlogic said:

@kamifox1 Several of the people complaining explained that they live in countries South of the U.S., so they don't have access to a Gamestop.

Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike said:

About friggin time that the U.S. gets an event that isn't just some obligatory major event. I honestly don't even care that it's Gamestop, I'm just happy to have anything at this point. NA's been completely screwed over with events this gen, we've only gotten Blazikenite Torchic, Bank Celebi, and Fancy Vivillon, that's it. No Electabuzz/Magmar serial codes, no Poke Ball Vivillon, none of that stuff.

agumon1123

agumon1123 said:

I'm guessing by the fact they said US only, EB Games in Canada won't count, unluckily I live in Canada and can't afford to go to the states. I hope EB Games announces the mega stone distribution for Canada.

wayward

wayward said:

They're obviously putting the stones at gamestop to drum up preorders and awareness for OR/AS. It's good that they're going with items already attainable in game for this promotion, and the pokemon are just a hook to get you into the store. Seems like a smart move.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

Never seen an event like this in Central nor South America. I would gladly go to a GameSpot if I was near one.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

Gamestop? So we can walk into the store, preorder the game, and have them look at us funny when we ask about the code? Then we can come back to the store months later and have them give us the wrong version of the game?

Pass.

lckulczak

lckulczak said:

I'm down with this! I've gotta renew my Gameinformer subscription and preorder the Super Smash Bros bundle anyways.

Iggly

Iggly said:

No love for Canada as usual I see. :( If you're gonna make the mega stones exclusive to the US, at least have the courtesy to include the mega stones on the Pokemon for everyone else who doesn't live in the US.

Edit: Well I won't fully mind about not being able to get the mega stones if the Pinsir and Heracross are given perfect IVs as they already have the best nature a trainer could ask for.

Sergio151

Sergio151 said:

Why are so many people complaining about Gamestop and the event? Yes I know they give you pocket change when you trade in a Wii U game, yes I know they try to shove their Powerup Rewards subscription down your throat, but atleast they are offering an event. I feel that it's a good thing because Nintendo is ignoring the US when it comes to distribution events (and yes I do know you can get Pinsir and Heracross with their Mega Stones in-game).

Tazcat2011

Tazcat2011 said:

Anyone know if Diancie is coming to North America either? At least this event is something.

randomlypikachu

randomlypikachu said:

diance will probably come when the movie comes. also ... kinda anoyed at how theyre going about this =w= i dont even care that i have to go to the nearest stop n' game just wana know why they dont put the megastones as their item for the distribution ... seriously just make me goto gamestop and get it or make me connect to my wifi and get it but dont make me have to do both just to get freaking mega pinsir =w= also better idea since im already on a rant why not just give us the opposite legendary for each game instead of giving us two random exclusive pokemon that can mega

TheWPCTraveler

TheWPCTraveler said:

Mystery gift. Mystery gift. We here in the Philippines keep having to get NA region games, but we still keep hoping!

Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi said:

Are there not like three rare Pokemon we've not gotten in XY yet?
Novembers not far away, get a move on Game Freak :P

bahooney

bahooney said:

@Caryslan Gee, maybe because it's really cool to have exclusivity for this type of thing? They're already distributing the mons via wi-fi. This method is a really cool throwback to the Game Boy days where only kids that went to events could get elusive rarities.

agumon1123

agumon1123 said:

For Canada it seems we get the serial code for the megastones through a pokemon trainer club newsletter in September. Just found that out while looking on pokemon global link. So we don't have to go to any stores.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Olmectron

Sorry for being off topic, but did you send me a friend request on Miiverse? I was curious if it was you as the name was similar but not exactly the same.

Olmectron

Olmectron said:

@sinalefa I think I did? Just I don't remember when. Heh. Sorry. My Mii's name is Édgar. And my ID is Ololmectron. Just accept me if you wish.

2Sang

2Sang said:

I really do like mega heracross's design. I don't like too many of the megas, but his is definitely cool

Warruz

Warruz said:

Look, just go to the store NEXT to the gamestop and now you get your mega stone without ever walking in! Or just park outside and do it.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Ugh, why not the Mega Charizard event? I know no one whose willing to give up their Charizardite X.

ZachBeacon

ZachBeacon said:

While asking about the codes at the first Gamestop I passed on my way home, I was greeted with the same blank look that their employees usually give me.

The second store was a little more helpful. Apparently they were supposed to come along with a special display and a lot of stores didn’t get them.

Oh Gamestop, will you ever stop being awful?